Cate Blanchett: I’d love to play a Bond villain

2»

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Cate Blanchett is a great actress and would almost certainly capable and a worthy addition to the Bond family.
    Yet her terribly hammy acting as Irina Spalko in Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull, has put me off the idea.
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not overly keen, when Bond faces a villainess. As supporting villains, it's fine, but characters like Elektra in TWINE you lose that toughness and threat slightly.
    Bond isn't going to be as brutal, simply because the villain is a woman.
    So it's a no from me.
  • I think she would be fantastic! Look at what she did in Hanna, and you can't tell me she wouldn't be able to do something similar if not better in a Bond movie. I am definitely down for this idea!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, I am all for having Helen Mirren -she's great!
    Benny wrote:
    Cate Blanchett is a great actress and would almost certainly capable and a worthy addition to the Bond family.
    Yet her terribly hammy acting as Irina Spalko in Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull, has put me off the idea.
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not overly keen, when Bond faces a villainess. As supporting villains, it's fine, but characters like Elektra in TWINE you lose that toughness and threat slightly.
    Bond isn't going to be as brutal, simply because the villain is a woman.
    So it's a no from me.

I'm thinking she hammed her role up in Indy 4 because of the nature of the film? I think if she got a Bond role? I am sure she would be completely different because of the new direction that they have taken.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    She did a convincing role and not at all oover the top in Hanna, and she's proven to be a talented actress in the past. I too hate Indy 4, but my issues with that movie are more concerned with the story itself and how its presented...

So a big yes from me, she would definitely stand out in such a role! =D>

(BTW: what do you guys think of Tilda Swinton?)
    Yeah, Steven Spielberg messed that film up. I hated Indiana's son too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bounine wrote:
    Generally, I'm not keen on A list Hollywood actors/actresses for Bond films but someone like Cate Blanchett who focuses more on character driven roles would be welcome. The same goes for Sean Penn. Someone like Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Aniston though, I'd hate to see in a Bond film.

Urgh! I don't want Sean Penn anywhere near a Bond film BUT yes, I'd love for CB to be in a Bond film. I think she's gorgeous, extremely talented and can do villainy really well.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,598
    No Sean Penn? How come? He's an amazingly talented actor. One of the best actors of all time.
    I think it all depends on how large her role as a baddie would be. If she were to play a henchwoman and her part was used sparingly and effectively, then I wouldn't have a problem with her being in a future film. However, I certainly don't see her as another Octopussy or Electra in the main role as an adversary. These roles never work in a Bond film and slow the pace down with Bond having to fall in love and then facing the obligatory betrayal in the 3rd and final act.