Sam Mendes - good or bad?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Sam needs to go, and from all reports is he is on other projects.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,979
    Mendes: bad. He brought franchise bloat (just when Eon had finally gotten rid of it!), unnecessary characters, endless plot, and egregious scoring.

That said, he did bring Adele along for the ride, so good on him there.
    Personally, I think both his Bond films are in the top ten of the franchise, and are both among the best directed. He's been good for the Bond franchise from where I'm sitting.
    Skyfall - very good; Spectre not so much.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Ending my Bondathon with both Mendes pictures this week. I doubt they will get the better of either Campbell entry but I will give them a fair chance.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Loved Skyfall - imho a truly original entry in the series. SPECTRE was a misfire in many, many areas.
    The Good:

Confidence: There is a lot to be said for a director who can take the reigns of a franchise like Bond and come into it with such a surefooted sense of confidence. Mendes knew exactly what he wanted to do and how to do it. He took bold risks and executed the stories with flair. He also wasn't afraid to inject some artistry into the affair.

As a director he was also able to let the films have more thematic depth. In equal measure, he knew when to have some fun and play it loose. There is a definitive sense of rhythm and tone that he posses.

World Building: Much is made these days of "cinematic universes", but Mendes really came in a creating something that, not only maintained the lineage of the series but was wholly distinct. This is most clear in his reshuffling of MI6. The team are exciting and dynamic and pose a lot of exciting possibilities moving forward.

His Work with Daniel Craig: I think Craig has given his two best performences under Mendes' tutelage. From the darker and more introspective SF to the more loose and fun SP. Craig came into his own during Sam's run.

Cinematography and craft contributions: These are been absolutely first-rate during the last few years. In particular the work of Roger Deakins and Hoyte van Hoytema which have proven to be exemplary. Dennis Gassner has done great work and Thomas Newman has been (intermittently) brilliant. It's undeniable that Mendes has class and style to spare and it shows in SF and SP.

The Casts: The appointment of Sam Mendes to the directors chair seemed to instantly beckon more renowned talent to the series. I mean, who else could get Albert Finney out of retirement and have him fire a sawed-off shotgun?

Themes: He produced Bond films that were actually personal and grappled with interesting issues. These included questions of relevancy, middle-age, ageing, Britain's role in the world and death.

The Bad:

The Action: The best scenes in SF and SP are where two characters are left together to talk (think of Bond's meeting with Severine and Silva; or the hotel room in Tangier with Madeline). These are clearly the dramatic beats that Sam is comfortable and excels at.

However, he's isn't a particularly adept action director. SF is pretty much bereft of any major sequences (aside the opening in Istanbul which isn't as dynamic as you remember). SP ups the action quota but all the sequences (despite being beautifully photographed are painfully dull. The editing is most likely to be blamed but Sam never quite nailed the more frenetic aspect of the Bond series.

Naval-Gazing: Did his films lose some of the mischievousness associated with the series? Did they become too consciously dour? Possibly. The decision to explore Bond's past has felt uncomfortable and awkward. In SF it's slightly more forgivable (Bond's decision to head home is a massive narrative leap), but the nonsense with Oberhauser in SP was clearly Mendes' painful attempt to insert 'destiny' into the series.

Nostalgia: This is something that has bogged the Bond films for a while but there is something a little overly self-congratulatory about Mendes's films. It in't quite as prevalent in SF (which is actually quite irreverent), but it's distracting in SP.

Creep of Laziness: After challenging himself with SF, it felt that Mendes phoned it in with SP. He likely was enticed by the payday.

Personally, I'm not against Sam returning. I feel he should come back and strip the formula down. He got a little carried away with SP and I think if he were to strip down the story and focus on Bond as a character, he could do a great job. I mean James Mangold directed the turgid 'The Wolverine' before following up with the magnificent 'Logan'. Mendes did direct the brilliant SF before SP, so he is redeemable.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That was a pretty good write-up.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    SF was mainstream appeal, they made SP geared towards the fans.

SF is like vanilla sex, it's nice. But if you want to have some real fun then it's SP.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,415
    There's so many possibilities that I can go with that statement but I won't.
    He did oversee the two movies that destroyed the Moneypenny and Blofeld characters. Moneypenny a field agent?! Blofeld, Bond's foster brother?! To be fair DAD's VR scene killed the Moneypenny character, but still ...
    DAD didn't kill the MP character. It just ended on a rather silly note.

That's precisely what I was getting at - as in they killed the character by destroying it with the silliness.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    tanaka123 wrote: »

That's precisely what I was getting at - as in they killed the character by destroying it with the silliness.

The difference for me is Samantha got silly in her last scene and Harris got silly in her first scene.
    At least Samantha had a great run for almost four films.

The irony is that I like Harris very much.
    Yeah no slight on Samantha Bond, she played the part brilliantly. Which makes it even more of a shame that that's how her character ended.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The VR was silly, but to her credit Samantha Bond sold it. That's the mark of a good actress.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not as bad as Caroline Bliss in every scene she's in. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I never had a problem with Bond. She was a departure from Maxwell, but still credible as MP. Harris however is not imho.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »

No interest in going back to her place to check out her Barry Manilow collection, Murdock?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

No interest in going back to her place to check out her Barry Manilow collection, Murdock?

No to both. Don't make me put glasses on you all crooked now. @Creasy47 =))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I've never had a problem with any of the Moneypenny's. Harris is fine but hasn't had much time to prove herself as MP. Hopefully she'll get that in the next Bond. Samantha Bond would be my favorite of Moneypenny.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't think Sam Mendes affected the series either way. Craig and Barbara are only interested in making a certain type of film. If it weren't for Mendes they would just found another director to execute their vision of a progressive Bond. It just so happens that he suits what they had planned, with the artificial family figures.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Mendes is very good, a fine filmmaker and did good things for the Bond franchise.

He definitely knows how to kick off a mission.
    Mendes is very good, a fine filmmaker and did good things for the Bond franchise.

That he does: without a proper gunbarrel!
    I wouldn't mind seeing him come back for round three, but only for a Craig movie.
    His service as a director has benefitted Craig's run with the themes, vision, and darker tone. He wouldn't have been a good fit for Bronson.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,012
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That he does: without a proper gunbarrel!
    I'd rather start SKYFALL (and QUANTUM OF SOLACE) with a gunbarrel. Those didn't.
    In its absence, SKYFALL has a thrilling, classy opening that Bond deserves.

So what is, is. What is not, is not.

sdljl-documentary-on-la-jolla-actor-cliff-robertson-2013may30
    I can't help but scratch my head at the justification of a lack of a gunbarrel in SF. What harm would there have been in opening the movie with one, and having the gunbarrel pan out as usual into the hallway, with Craig stepping in and the score kicking off the same way it does?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I like the hallway opener in SF personally (including those two bars from the Bond theme which Newman seems to like using). I've not been too impressed with Craig's gunbarrels anyway (except for the toilet one in CR) so I've not missed them one bit.
    I like it, too - I had a huge grin on my face when that opening began the first time I saw the film in 2012. But was it anything remotely unique that needed the omission of a gunbarrel like CR did? Absolutely not.
    It's understood the gunbarrel isn't there. Can't change it.

For what exists, to me it's a great opening for Bond.