Whose idea was it to cast Brosnan as Bond?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Like Bain says, Polanski may be Satan's own spawn, but he's a damn fine director.

As for De Nero, I personally have never really liked him. But I think we're getting side-tracked.

You could start by spelling his name correctly. ;)
    Getafix wrote:
    Obviously the Broccolis approved of his casting as they had originally wanted him for the Living Daylights, but were there any other external factors involved in Brosnan's casting? I read somewhere that MGM were not keen on Dalton returning and were pushing for Brosnan to be cast.

Actually Dalton was first considered to play Bond in TLD... He first refused because he was busy filming another movie... Many others were considered until Glen and Broccoli settled for Brosnan and the rest well... Is history
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have read many times about Cubby meeting Brosnan on the set of FYEO and liking him, considering him for Bond in the future. If Brosnan was not tied to Remington Steele, it seems he really would have been Bond at that time. I think he was better as Bond when he was older; I'm happy he landed Goldeneye.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have read many times about Cubby meeting Brosnan on the set of FYEO and liking him, considering him for Bond in the future. If Brosnan was not tied to Remington Steele, it seems he really would have been Bond at that time. I think he was better as Bond when he was older; I'm happy he landed Goldeneye.
    And I'm happy we sinked Tim, for however short of a time.
    I actually really like Dalton and wish he had done more.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I wish Dalton had done more, but I also like Brosnans bond, so in my dream timeline it's...

CONNERY: 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965

LASENBY: 1967, 1969 (OHMSS before YOLT)

MOORE: 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1981 (FYEO is before MR, and Octopussy is in 1981)

DALTON: 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999 (FYEO is in 1983)

BROSNAN: 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 (CR is with Brosnan, and Tarantino is directing)

CRAIG: 2012, 2014, 2016 (maybe 2018 but he might look too old by then)
    edited April 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Interesting!
    I am with you some of these, but I love Moore in FYEO and I wouldn't change CR a bit.
    I bet if Tarantino would have directed DAD - even with that script - it would have been much, much improved (and at least for sure different and interesting.).
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Interesting!
    I am with you some of these, but I love Moore in FYEO and I wouldn't change CR a bit.
    I bet if Tarantino would have directed DAD - even with that script - it would have been much, much improved (and at least for sure different and interesting.).

Definetly. But I put him in CR because he apparently suggested the idea in the first place, and he said if he'd done it he would have cast Pierce Brosnan.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ahh, I see. In my perfect world, maybe I would have had Pierce in a Tarantino directord CR, then Goldeneye.
    But then I'd still want the same Craig CR after Brosnan's run.

I meant sunk in a good way, like we were lucky that EON got him...in the hoop...I just don't want to come off as hating Dalton, because I like his Bond.

I meant sunk in a good way, like we were lucky that EON got him...in the hoop...I just don't want to come off as hating Dalton, because I like his Bond.

I got it, that you meant it in a good way (sunk the basket. like in sports) but only after a 2nd read. I was just saying - unlike many here - I rather enjoy most of the Bonds.

I got it, that you meant it in a good way (sunk the basket. like in sports) but only after a 2nd read. I was just saying - unlike many here - I rather enjoy most of the Bonds.

Well good for you. That is quite an accomplishment, and I am not being sarcastic. Not an easy feet by any margin, at least in the case of myself.
    'Easy Feet ?'

I can't see previous answers from here but whoever decided to cast Brosnan in the first place made a sensible and suitable decision. But - sometimes when I watch anything from 1995-2002 I sometimes wonder what he's doing as James Bond, seems a bit inappropriate sometimes. That said, he seemed almost tailor made for the part every now and again, Goldeneye had some classic Bond moments and Brosnan looked and sounded the part, as with TWINE, but every now and again, despite the obvious talent and fitting capacity of playing Bond, I would watch on and think 'is this man really suitable for the role', it's a bit of a mixed bag with the Irishman sometimes, I was happy enough when he got the part after Dalton and you can see why at times whenever he's on screen, the man is an established and well recognized actor (and was at the time of casting) and presents himself well enough as Bond, and I was quite impressed, but every now and again, just find him wholly inappropriate, not the Best James Bond we will ever see, and by far from the worst with it
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2012 Posts: 8,026
    Brosnan was solid in the role. I agree that some of his delivery fell flat in places, but he was extraordinary in others. The scene where he kills Elektra and then his scenes with Natalya being standouts. I also love the scene in TND where he sits in his hotel room, putting the silencer on his PPK and drinking Vodka. Excellent. He needed more of those. In DAD, anything remotely good he brought was ruined and overshadowed by cringeworthy special effects. I liked him, and he's my third favourite actor in the role so far.

I agree however his better performances lie outside Bond. The Thomas Crown Affair, The Matador and Seraphim Falls all featuring Brosnan at his best. Seraphim Falls in particular is great, he even outshines Liam Neeson. There's a scene where he removes a rifle slug from his arm, and it is really a great performance by him, he conveys the pain of it brilliantly. (and no 'pain face' ;) )

He was also very good in The Greatest.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Brosnan was amazing in : Ghost Writer, Remember Me, Seraphin Falls, The Matador, The Greatest.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Does anybody else notice that Brosnan's voice sounds deeper in GE than all his other entries. At times during GE he puts on his video game voice.

I also read that Broccoli also had Dalton and Sam Neil in mind too
    'Easy Feet ?'

I can't see previous answers from here but whoever decided to cast Brosnan in the first place made a sensible and suitable decision. But - sometimes when I watch anything from 1995-2002 I sometimes wonder what he's doing as James Bond, seems a bit inappropriate sometimes. That said, he seemed almost tailor made for the part every now and again, Goldeneye had some classic Bond moments and Brosnan looked and sounded the part, as with TWINE, but every now and again, despite the obvious talent and fitting capacity of playing Bond, I would watch on and think 'is this man really suitable for the role', it's a bit of a mixed bag with the Irishman sometimes, I was happy enough when he got the part after Dalton and you can see why at times whenever he's on screen, the man is an established and well recognized actor (and was at the time of casting) and presents himself well enough as Bond, and I was quite impressed, but every now and again, just find him wholly inappropriate, not the Best James Bond we will ever see, and by far from the worst with it

I accidentally hit "e" instead of "a", sue me. They are close together.
  • I always thought Dalts was Cubby's boy. They seemed to have a real friendship that expanded the films, to the extent that Dalton served as a pallbarrer for his funeral. Therefore, I think either Dalton said to Cubby, "MGM really doesn't want me so I am going to leave on my terms.", or Cubby told Dalton he shouldleave because MGM wanted a new Bond.
    I always thought Dalts was Cubby's boy. They seemed to have a real friendship that expanded the films, to the extent that Dalton served as a pallbarrer for his funeral. Therefore, I think either Dalton said to Cubby, "MGM really doesn't want me so I am going to leave on my terms.", or Cubby told Dalton he shouldleave because MGM wanted a new Bond.

I think it came down to money and Dalt's unwillingness to fight to keep the role. He could have made GE a decent movie if he'd stayed.

• I think it came down to money and Dalt's unwillingness to fight to keep the role. He could have made GE a decent movie if he'd stayed.[/quote]
    Agreed. Goldeneye would have been Dalton's masterpiece.

Oh well. His loss was also our loss.
    Getafix wrote:
    Oh well. His loss was also our loss.

His loss was out gain.

O:-)
    Dalt's departure ushered in a decade of dreary box-ticking tedium. In a sense he was right when he predicted that LTK would be the last Bond movie. The films since then have never re-captured the essence of the classic Bond movies, much as CR and QoS represent a step in the right direction.
    Getafix wrote:
    Dalt's departure ushered in a decade of dreary box-ticking tedium. In a sense he was right when he predicted that LTK would be the last Bond movie. The films since then have never re-captured the essence of the classic Bond movies, much as CR and QoS represent a step in the right direction.

DAltons departure lost us a uncharismatic actor who failed to woe the large audiences, it is only some fanboys that really like him and have dozens of excuses why he failed to perform.
    The next four movies gave us much more 007 for our money. And while EON states that they are looking for the essence of 007 they are actually in it for the money. If Bond23 underperforms you can be sure that they will really look at some different performers for the title role. Essence my foot, Roger Moore gave us that as did Connery and Brosnan but Dalton never gave the BO that essence-vibe.

;)
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

DAltons departure lost us a uncharismatic actor who failed to woe the large audiences, it is only some fanboys that really like him and have dozens of excuses why he failed to perform.
    The next four movies gave us much more 007 for our money. And while EON states that they are looking for the essence of 007 they are actually in it for the money. If Bond23 underperforms you can be sure that they will really look at some different performers for the title role. Essence my foot, Roger Moore gave us that as did Connery and Brosnan but Dalton never gave the BO that essence-vibe.

;)

The part in bold is true, but I disagree on Dalton. I thought he was charismatic and was a great Bond. He was ahead of his time.
    You are a 007 fanboy, one of those with an opinion but a minority when it comes to the BO.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

;)

Don't forget about Craig! He has outperformed Brosnan at the BO so far so his "essence-vibe" must be through the roof!

Or am I misunderstanding "essence-vibe"? I just presumed it meant big money...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    "The next four movie gave us more 007 for our money"

More money, yes. As for the 007, I have not seen any 007 since 1989, and i'm still waiting. Though in that time, we've had plenty of smarm and pouting.