Whose idea was it to cast Brosnan as Bond?

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    I think the biggest irony is that, whatever you may think of Brozza as Bond, he probably has more in common with bond in the real world than any of the other actors (except perhaps Laz). He's cocky, he's arrogant, he seems a bit quick tempered at times, he's handsome as hell, he's a widower and he spent most of his childhood away from his family.

Apart from the widower bit, most of this applies to Connery as well doesn't it?

• Getafix, may I ask, for someone who clearly doesn`t care much for Brosnan`s Bond, why have you his face as your avitar?
    Getafix wrote:
    It's doubtless a sign of my own cultural ignorance, but I had never really heard of Brosnan or seen him on TV prior to GE. For me he was a total unknown quantity before walking into the cinema. I guess if I'm honest part of my resentment of him stems from the fact that I soon felt like he had been foisted on us due to his anticipated popularity with audiences in the US. By the same token, Dalton was deemed a failure because the US audiences didn't like him. Fortunately with the growth of other cinema going publics around the world, the US does not have quite the same sway it once did.

You know I can relate to what you say. I had seen Remington Steele and thought it was dreck and all the way through his career I have had that nagging feeling that his looks have opened doors for him.

• Getafix wrote:
    Shoreline wrote:
    Yeah.... it`s not like Connery ever sounded Scottish, or Dalton Welsh.
    Terrible. Just terrible. ;)

Brozza's very occasional hint of an Irish accent is the very least bad thing about him. I always thought Dalton sounded more Northern than Welsh though.

I agree about dalton, I had no ideahe was welsh. Shows what a good actor he is.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    I think the biggest irony is that, whatever you may think of Brozza as Bond, he probably has more in common with bond in the real world than any of the other actors (except perhaps Laz). He's cocky, he's arrogant, he seems a bit quick tempered at times, he's handsome as hell, he's a widower and he spent most of his childhood away from his family.

Brosnan has most in common with the personal side, lasenby with the military side, moore with the bondish side (moore always seems like james bond)
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    It's doubtless a sign of my own cultural ignorance, but I had never really heard of Brosnan or seen him on TV prior to GE. For me he was a total unknown quantity before walking into the cinema. I guess if I'm honest part of my resentment of him stems from the fact that I soon felt like he had been foisted on us due to his anticipated popularity with audiences in the US. By the same token, Dalton was deemed a failure because the US audiences didn't like him. Fortunately with the growth of other cinema going publics around the world, the US does not have quite the same sway it once did.

You know I can relate to what you say. I had seen Remington Steele and thought it was dreck and all the way through his career I have had that nagging feeling that his looks have opened doors for him.

I've never actually seen a full episode of Remington Steele but having watched both Taffin:

and Live Wire: http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30263230

I can safely say they didn't pick him for his acting.

He is entertaining to watch though. In Live Wire (3 years before GE) he may be bad but he is charismatic.

One thing though. People may criticise his his acting in Bond but he's miles better there than he was previously.
  • indeed his acting improved as he went on-- makes me more pissed that Lazenby didn't hang around... >:(
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Brozza's first good performance (as far as I am able to tell) was in the Taylor of Panama. Since then he's done a few decent films. As I've said many times, Brozza is capable of a decent performance when given the right role.
  • Brosnan has been in some good movies such as The Fourth Protocol, The Lawnmower Man was OK, hardly oscar material but Brosnan did not a bad job and then there's Taffin and Night Watch, point being Brosnan was involved in some decent work before TOP, maybe you never saw them perhaps outside of 007, but they do exsist
    Shoreline wrote:
    Getafix, may I ask, for someone who clearly doesn`t care much for Brosnan`s Bond, why have you his face as your avitar?
    For someone called shoreline, why do you have a picture of the open sea?

Getafix wrote:
    Shoreline wrote:
    Getafix, may I ask, for someone who clearly doesn`t care much for Brosnan`s Bond, why have you his face as your avitar?

*sigh*

I was actually curious too, but why did I expect a reasonable answer. Anyways, Considering how far ahead Brosnan was looked at, you can bet Cubby had his eyes on Brosnan, just as much as anyone else.

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Shoreline wrote:

*sigh*

I was actually curious too, but why did I expect a reasonable answer. Anyways, Considering how far ahead Brosnan was looked at, you can bet Cubby had his eyes on Brosnan, just as much as anyone else.

Does it really require a 'serious' answer? It's a daft picture of Brozza that I found amusing. He looks like the cheeky, lucky, wannabe gameshow host he is.
    I remember a time around FYEO when it seemed not sure Moore would be back. At the time The Professionals used to be big and some pressure from public and the usual rags was on to cast Lewis Collins. Used to think that was just the usual rumour peddling but apparently Cubby really met Collins to get an idea if he'd be suitable. So at least back then Cubby was aware of public ideas who'd make a good Bond and was willing to see for himself.
  • Actually Brosnan does have a touch of 'Gameshow host' about him, I mean in facial features not necessarily acting capabilities

(And) Lewis Collins auditioned for the role sometime about 1982 but he was deemed 'too agressive', I still maintain he would of made a plausible 007. Gordon Jackson (Cowley) would of been an awesome M, a massive improvement on the cardboard Robert Brown, big mistakes made in hindsight
    Kennon wrote:
    I remember a time around FYEO when it seemed not sure Moore would be back. At the time The Professionals used to be big and some pressure from public and the usual rags was on to cast Lewis Collins. Used to think that was just the usual rumour peddling but apparently Cubby really met Collins to get an idea if he'd be suitable. So at least back then Cubby was aware of public ideas who'd make a good Bond and was willing to see for himself.

I thought Brozza was Cubby's personal choice. Met him on set, liked what he saw etc. etc.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    But good things to those who wait!

Then he was let go when he wanted to continue. All in all, I wonder if he thinks the experience was worth it? Still seems, quite uneasy to talk about it even today.

When he missed out on the role the first time, it was NBC's fault, not Eon's. NBC "uncancelled" Remington Steele to capitalize on Brosnan's popularity when the Bond rumors heated up. And, I'd argue, this tainted Dalton in the US before he even started--and this is coming from someone who loved Dalton in the role.
    Kennon wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Watch out Bain, you wouldn't know it but apparently there's a no-swearing rule in place, although the mods apply it randomly.

When given the right part Brozza is more than capable of holding his own. Tailor of Panama being a case in point. I think an earlier post knocked his performance in The Ghost Writer, but again I'd say that he was pretty decent in that.

Brosnan can be quite extraordinary when given the right part. The Blair-type character in The Ghost and the smarmy agent in Tailor are two parts that really let him shine. I daresay there's an actor in Brosnan that was damaged by his conventional good looks and a part that was so much larger than life. He's no Olivier but he could have been a fine actor in his own right.

The Tailor of Panama is his best "Bond" performance. He really was let down by his four scripts.
    Well I wouldn't want Bronsan or Dalton as Bond but I was glad Timothy Dalton took over from Roger Moore at that time. But there were other contenders. I was hopping The Professionals star Lewis Collins on the role which he was not approached. I never now liked Brosnan or see any of his movies in at all. Timothy Dalton good actor but could had done third Bond movie.
    TOP showed that Brozza can act and that some directors and casting directors do actually understand what his strengths are. Brozza works really well as a morally corrupted character - someone whose external good looks bely an internal weakness and decay. Hence he is perfect in the Ghost Writer. If they'd captured a bit of this with Bond he might have been a bit more interesting, although I'm not really sure that that is what Bond is about.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Having seen a bit of GE last night I can say that, while Brozza is more self conscious, he certainly moves perfectly. He almost glides. An example was when he gets out the pool at the spa.

"That depends on your definition of safe sex"

"No no no...no more foreplay"

I'm not sure Dalts could have made those lines work.

Come to think of if Broz had more politically incorrect dialogue in GE than Dalton ever did in his 2 films.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Shoreline wrote:
    Because I happen to have a great affinity, love, and respect for all things ocean, and this is a picture that I feel represents a degree of happiness in me.

And if I were to follow your sarcastic logic, it could be taken from the shoreline...

8-|
    I think it is fair to say I have given you a reasonable answer.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Having seen a bit of GE last night I can say that, while Brozza is more self conscious, he certainly moves perfectly. He almost glides. An example was when he gets out the pool at the spa.

"That depends on your definition of safe sex"

"No no no...no more foreplay"

I'm not sure Dalts could have made those lines work.

Come to think of if Broz had more politically incorrect dialogue in GE than Dalton ever did in his 2 films.

Dalts was slightly hamstrung by a lack of action in the bedroom. On this front he performed weakly, particularly in TLD, although they rowed back from the AIDS paranoia in LTK.
    Don't know whose idea it was. But he was a great choice by EON. Next to Rog, he is my favorite Bond.
    Ellis wrote:
    Don't know whose idea it was. But he was a great choice by EON. Next to Rog, he is my favorite Bond.

I think he's the odd man out in the EON choices, but that's just me.
    Have to say that Brosnan was the actor who made the most out of being cast as Bond. Despite limited ability he's gone on to build a solid movie career, unlike Dalts, who was probably the better actor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Have to say that Brosnan was the actor who made the most out of being cast as Bond. Despite limited ability he's gone on to build a solid movie career, unlike Dalts, who was probably the better actor.

=)) No, Clint Eastwood, Robert De Niro, Matt Damon, George Clooney, and Humphrey Bogart, have/had built solid movie careers. Brozzer on the other hand, especially of late...
    metrolink-train-wreck.jpg
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    =)) No, Clint Eastwood, Robert De Niro, Matt Damon, George Clooney, and Humphrey Bogart, have/had built solid movie careers. Brozzer on the other hand, especially of late...
    metrolink-train-wreck.jpg[/quote]

Really? The Greatest with Susan Sarandon and Carey Mulligan and The Ghost starring Ewan Mcgregor and directed by Roman Polanski. Yeah he's had a few duds but overall he's done pretty well for himself

Talking about "of late" the last time I saw Robert De-Niro he was being stabbed in the penis by Ben Stiller in Little Fockers (a film he produced) :\"> I wouldn't exactly call that a career high-point.
    I agree, with Bain. His career may have gone off the boil recently, but given his modest talents I'd say he's done pretty well for himself.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Really? The Greatest with Susan Sarandon and Carey Mulligan and The Ghost starring Ewan Mcgregor and directed by Roman Polanski

Talking about "of late" the last time I saw Robert De-Niro he was being stabbed in the penis by Ben Stiller in Little Fockers (a film he produced) :\"> I wouldn't exactly call that a career high-point.

You know adding that sniveling child violating pig Polanski isn't a point in favor of your argument. And about De Niro. He has damn well earned the right to take any role and do anything he wants. He challenges himself as an actor and isn't afraid about being criticized and takes it in jest. He doesn't whine like a little baby after being fired like some actors *wink* *wink*. I tell you what, when Brozzer stars in his 'Taxi Driver' and is able to make something of the shambles that looks like a "solid" career, then get back to me.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Really? The Greatest with Susan Sarandon and Carey Mulligan and The Ghost starring Ewan Mcgregor and directed by Roman Polanski

You know adding that sniveling child violating pig Polanski isn't a point in favor of your argument. And about De Niro. He has damn well earned the right to take any role and do anything he wants. He challenges himself as an actor and isn't afraid about being criticized and takes it in jest. He doesn't whine like a little baby after being fired like some actors *wink* *wink*. I tell you what, when Brozzer stars in his 'Taxi Driver' and is able to make something of the shambles that looks like a "solid" career, then get back to me.

True Polanski is a nasty piece of work but one can't deny his legacy in the world of film. As for De-Niro, yeah right. He "challenges himself"? NO!! Clint Eastwood still "challenges himself" by directing big, meaty projects. I'll agree De-Niro's reached his later years so deserves to settle down but still...going from Travis Bickle to being stabbed in the penis.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Like Bain says, Polanski may be Satan's own spawn, but he's a damn fine director.

As for De Nero, I personally have never really liked him. But I think we're getting side-tracked.