Whose idea was it to cast Brosnan as Bond?

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    chrisisall wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    Who is the third favourite?
    The two Cees- Connery/Craig, tie.

You KNOW who my first is... ;)

The Dalton!:) Did you enjoy Skyfall?

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Just saw SF for a third time today and it certainly does blow most of Brosnan's films out of the water (GE is the only one that comes close).

Better than both of Dalton's films. Better than all of Brosnan's.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just saw SF for a third time today and it certainly does blow most of Brosnan's films out of the water (GE is the only one that comes close).

I am due to see it soon. I have a horrible cold again since saturday. I was supposed to go tonight.

Me, I prefer not to go into a Bond film and then afterwards saying it is better. To get a Bond like this took the franchise 50 years of trial and error. The franchise could not have done it even ten years ago, even without Brosnan being there.

Better than Dalton's? Easy there tiger! That is a red flag to a bull with sharp horns!:)

For me even a film like DAF is a classic and I would not put even CR above it. It is momento of an era.

Though I admit they are making interesting believable stories these days. I remember when I saw TND and thought it was the best Bond ever. I was so hyped on it at the time. I actually lost interest in the 60's and 70's Bond at the time.

But then years later, I grew to like the films that were the least respected in the franchise. In a perverse way it was more enjoyable to watch TMWTGG as well as DAF.

I remember once taking back my Goldfinger DVD and exchanging it for LTK. The shop assistant thought I was mad and almost went grey from shock.

• BAIN123 wrote:
    Better than both none of Dalton's films. Better than all some of Brosnan's.

Typos are a bitch aren't they ;)

Seriously though can I ask you something? On some of the old threads it seem like you were a big Brosnan fan but now it seems like you don't like his films as much. What made you change your mind?
    BAIN123 wrote:

Seriously though can I ask you something? On some of the old threads it seem like you were a big Brosnan fan but now it seems like you don't like his films as much. What made you change your mind?

I like the correction @Thelivingroyale Nice humour.

BAIN123 wrote:

I enjoy Brosnan very much but I admit that I have somewhat re-evaluated his era recently. Goldeneye I still love very much. How can I not? It was the film I grew up with and I love all of the characters in it. But there are a few weaknesses. Currently it sits behind SF and CR at number 6.

I think it started last year when I did a double bill of TB and TND. TB has its weaknesses but its not a straight forward shoot 'em up like a lot of TND is.

Maybe it was Haphazard's review series aswell. Damn that was quite painful to watch but he does raise some interesting points.

Out of principle though I just can't hate the man I grew up with (I know I've said that before but its true). He had his flaws but he also had his strong moments. He acted (yes acted!) very well during the Kaulfman scene for instance and had some very good moments alongside Judi Dench.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I enjoy Brosnan very much but I admit that I have somewhat re-evaluated his era recently. Goldeneye I still love very much. How can I not? It was the film I grew up with and I love all of the characters in it. But there are a few weaknesses. Currently it sits behind SF and CR at number 6.

I think it started last year when I did a double bill of TB and TND. TB has its weaknesses but its not a straight forward shoot 'em up like a lot of TND is.

Maybe it was Haphazard's review series aswell. Damn that was quite painful to watch but he does raise some interesting points.

Out of principle though I just can't hate the man I grew up with (I know I've said that before but its true). He had his flaws but he also had his strong moments. He acted (yes acted!) very well during the Kaulfman scene for instance and had some very good moments alongside Judi Dench.

I have to say that the Kaufman scene was brilliant. And that was before I knew of Haphazard. But Haphazard is a Bond fan that really goes into great detail as opposed to a Youtube moron who reviews the whole franchise in 5 minutes.

Why could the director not pull out more performances like that. Because Brosnan could easily have a great legacy if more care was taken to not make him try out too much.

Brosnan's Bond changed with each haircut and more effort was put into the action scenes as opposed to character development. I remember sitting in the cinema and hoping to see this fascinating side of the character come out as opposed to predictable audience pleaser.

I will be very very interested to hear what Haphazard has to say on SF. Up to this point I've suspected that HH was stealing ideas from my posts on here (joke!) because I agree with practically everything he says.

I think he is going to be a lot less enthusiastic about SF than a lot of people on here. But that's just assuming he reads my posts first!
    Getafix wrote:
    I will be very very interested to hear what Haphazard has to say on SF. Up to this point I've suspected that HH was stealing ideas from my posts on here (joke!) because I agree with practically everything he says.

I think he is going to be a lot less enthusiastic about SF than a lot of people on here. But that's just assuming he reads my posts first!

I respect Haphazard who knows what makes the series grow and what makes the series shrink. He loves Dalton but not in a dumb ass way.He backs it up and understands the noble intention to go back to the roots.

DAD was his favourite film so far!:) In an alternate universe.

• I don't get the fuss about HH.

He makes some good points but so do people on here and he just isn't entertaining. Everyone was raving about his CR review coming out so I decided to stick on his Dalton one, nearly put me to sleep. He's just so boring.
    I don't get the fuss about HH.

He makes some good points but so do people on here and he just isn't entertaining. Everyone was raving about his CR review coming out so I decided to stick on his Dalton one, nearly put me to sleep. He's just so boring.

Yeah, he can be boring. I think I just like him because he agrees with me on everything... unlike some people on here ;)
  • Getafix wrote:
    Yeah, he can be boring. I think I just like him because he agrees with me on everything...
    Nobody's perfect. ;)

• Getafix wrote:

Yeah, he can be boring. I think I just like him because he agrees with me on everything... unlike some people on here ;)

I actually agree with you on a few things, like Moore and his films, Dalton and his films, Craigs Bond and the DB5 being bought back. I think it's just Brosnan we really disagree on :)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189

I remember Wizard saying HH should be banned from hospitals in case a coma patient subconsciously hears he flat voice and slips away :))

Personally I've always found the train crash stock footage he uses in the TWINE and DAD reviews his funniest moments :))

He puts in a lot of work and argues intelligently. He actually likes Brosnan and had he been on set during his era, he may have advised him of what to not do. His TWINE argument is valid.

He knows what makes a good Bond film and not necessarily just with the cliches. And he thinks Jinx is not sexy because I preferred the masseuse too.

Getafix wrote:

I actually agree with you on a few things, like Moore and his films, Dalton and his films, Craigs Bond and the DB5 being bought back. I think it's just Brosnan we really disagree on :)

True. It's good to disagree on some stuff though- keeps it lively!
    Hey, and now we agree on QoS too!
    edited February 2013 Posts: 581
    BAIN123 wrote:

dont get me wrong i loved Skyfall but to say that Skyfall is better than all of Brosnans Films is a joke
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Wouldnt be suprised if people are saying that, Seeing how 007 legends slapped Craig into the classic films its like they are saying "F*** the rest, Craig is the only bond!"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jka12002 wrote:
    Wouldnt be suprised if people are saying that, Seeing how 007 legends slapped Craig into the classic films its like they are saying "F*** the rest, Craig is the only bond!"

That isn't Dan's fault!
    jka12002 wrote:

then we have truly lost hope for humanity....
  • Brozzer can be a good actor. I liked him in Matador, he's also interesting in a film called The Greatest with Susan Sarandon. Okay, he's outacted by her, but he does some good work on it. The film is about a couple grieving over the death of their teenage son in a car accident.

There is a bit of the TV actor about Brozzer though.
  • AliAli
    002 wrote:
    dont get me wrong i loved Skyfall but to say that Skyfall is better than all of Brosnans Films is a joke

Indeed. Brosnan's Bond would only have taken M to Scotland if he already had a 200 foot high invisible nuclear tank hidden there.
    Ali wrote:
    002 wrote:

Indeed. Brosnan's Bond would only have taken M to Scotland if he already had a 200 foot high invisible nuclear tank hidden there.

He would not be as daft as to take her out of her protective surroundings and make sure she gets killed in some remote valley in Scotland just because some trauma made him think he was an invincibel 00.

002 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Its ten million billion times better then any of that Brosnan crap.

Even I would probably prefer to watch SF rather than those Brozza straight to DVD films that EON made between 95 and 02.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 581
    ?
    Getafix wrote:
    Even I would probably prefer to watch SF rather than those Brozza straight to DVD films that EON made between 95 and 02.

PierceBrosnan16.04.10.jpg

for real
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:

No, I think you are confusing those with the James Bond parodies released from 1973 to 85.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No, I think you are confusing those with the James Bond parodies released from 1973 to 85.
    That's 73 THEN 77 to 85.
    TMWTGG was a one off of Moore seriousness. ;)
    B
    There is a bit of the TV actor about Brozzer though.

I have been saying that for years.

Brosnan did abit of stagework at the end of the seventies but not much. He went to try his luck in Hollywood in 81/82 and has done TV or film work ever since and it shows. Sean, Tim and Dan did hard work at the granite face of theatre for years and you can tell in their performances.

Pierces gorgeousness and attractiveness to women opened doors for him quickly. I am sure he had periods of struggling but his performances in most films are TV performances. I watched The Ghost - a thinly disguised portrayal of Tony B-Liar and it was all at one level. Adam Lang/Tony Blair is a fascinating character of a man once worshipped and now due to decisions is despised by the world for causing the deaths of thousands.. Something he struggles with. There is real pathos there.

But I got none of that from Pierce. It was a TV movie of the week performance.

What I am saying is that he got a good role and didn't do it justice.