Can the '007 Theme' return?

124»

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2016 Posts: 16,331
    Yes the Plane chase is one of the more difficult scenes to rescore. I tried it once before with music from 007 Everything or Nothing. I agree, It is harder to incorporate the 007 theme into more recent Bond films sadly. This new attempt was trying to capture a more classical feel. Sadly I couldn't find any new modern versions of the theme either.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,816
    Well as it was last heard in a Bond film in 1979, I doubt it, as much as I love it as an alternative Bond theme and more generally as an excellent and exciting piece of music tgo accompany action and chase scenes. I really think that there has been too much of a break (nearly forty years) for it to return in a modern Bond film.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yes the Plane chase is one of the more difficult scenes to rescore. I tried it once before with music from 007 Everything or Nothing. I agree, It is harder to incorporate the 007 theme into more recent Bond films sadly. This new attempt was trying to capture a more classical feel. Sadly I couldn't find any new modern versions of the theme either.

Any chance of you doing one with the extended version of 007 from TB as I feel that has a lot more punch or the SP trailer version of OHMSS?

Any chance of you doing one with the extended version of 007 from TB as I feel that has a lot more punch or the SP trailer version of OHMSS?

I can certainly give it a shot.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes, please @Murdock. They certainly suckered us with the SP trailer version of OHMSS.
    Unfortunately what little bit of the OHMSS theme there is in the SP trailer music really isn't enough to pad out the whole scene, but I will try to incorporate the theme from David Arnold's orchestral version.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I totally disagree with @TheWizardOfIce, as I think that the "007 Theme" would fit in very well with SP's lighter tone. For me the re-score above works quite well.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

SP is lighter by DC standards but it's not a Roger film. This piece of music just does not work I'm afraid. In the clip above at the climax of the sequence as Dan grits his teeth and the plane smashes through the chalet we get an accompanying piece of music that sounds more apt for a piece on Countryfile about sailing a canal boat in the Cotswolds.

I very much agree with what Wiz said. The music is completely out of place and very obvious in that measure. And besides, it certainly isn't one of Barry's best efforts in the delivery of the Bond Theme there. Imagine the cheesy group of violins playing as if a cowboy is happily riding a horse into the sunset on the same frames Madeleine does something suspenseful, Hinx slowly points his gun at her to calm her down in menace... It doesn't work. Sorry. For that particular sequence, you'd need a menacing music.
    Yeah I've been giving the Plane chase a third attempt. I'm attempting to use the Spectre OHMSS trailer music and the thunderball 007 theme version but they aren't long enough to pad it out. Though the Thames chase music from TWINE works pretty well. I'm not sure if I'll upload it though. If there's interest I'll upload it. Someone randomly requested me to put "A Drive in the Country" From FYEO over it, Now that would be out of place. :))
    Yeah I've been giving the Plane chase a third attempt. I'm attempting to use the Spectre OHMSS trailer music and the thunderball 007 theme version but they aren't long enough to pad it out. Though the Thames chase music from TWINE works pretty well. I'm not sure if I'll upload it though. If there's interest I'll upload it. Someone randomly requested me to put "A Drive in the Country" From FYEO over it, Now that would be out of place. :))

Surelya combination of the 007 music from the underwater battle and the Disco Volante fight plus the SP trailer would give a sufficient runtime?

I'm expecting something great @Murdock!

And no pressure old man - you only have to be better than Thomas Newman!

Surelya combination of the 007 music from the underwater battle and the Disco Volante fight plus the SP trailer would give a sufficient runtime?

I'm expecting something great @Murdock!

And no pressure old man - you only have to be better than Thomas Newman!

Well I'm cooking up something as we speak. When I'm completely happy with my next rescore it will be here first.
    Okay here we go. The Spectre Plane chase with the Thunderball versions of "007" mixed in. I used a combination of the straightfoward 007 album version and Death of Largo nicely stitched together and ending with the final bit of Chateau Flight. The beginning didn't sync up as nice as I wanted but I think the rest is perfect. I added some Classic Bond gun sounds just for the heck of it but I'm very happy with it. I may save the SP trailer OHMSS mix for the PTS Helicopter scene as I've yet to do anything with that or the Thames helicopter chase. But here is the video. 007 is Back. :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    SPECTRE really need a score along these lines; that was awesome. I don't care if some feel that Michael Giacchino was simply aping Barry on his Incredibles score, hire the monkey, he would knock it out of the park.
    Agreed. Spectre needed a Bond theme heavy score that packed a wallop.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'm still bothered by the fact that the guitar riff never appears in the entire movie.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I'm still bothered by the fact that the guitar riff never appears in the entire movie.
    Agreed. We got a whole bunch of Dun Dun dah dahhhh's that were mostly flute versions then a cool Brassy Thunderball one during the finale but It never built up into the full Bond theme which sucked. What SP suffered from musically was Bond theme stage fright. It was trying to come on stage several times but ultimately didn't. :))

• Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Love the last rescore @Murdock! Terrific! Especially the ending!

Any chance you could do something with the James Bond Theme and a scene? The car chase for instance? Although you might want to open a SPECTRE re-score thread for it...
    Glad you enjoyed it @Mark_Hazzard. I really hit my stride with this rescore. I've previously rescored the Car Chase twice with music from 007 Everything or Nothing and Blood Stone. I also added music to the Spectre Train fight to give it some extra suspense. which you can see here. http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/6553/favorite-james-bond-rescores#latest
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Okay here we go. The Spectre Plane chase with the Thunderball versions of "007" mixed in. I used a combination of the straightfoward 007 album version and Death of Largo nicely stitched together and ending with the final bit of Chateau Flight. The beginning didn't sync up as nice as I wanted but I think the rest is perfect. I added some Classic Bond gun sounds just for the heck of it but I'm very happy with it. I may save the SP trailer OHMSS mix for the PTS Helicopter scene as I've yet to do anything with that or the Thames helicopter chase. But here is the video. 007 is Back. :)

Still think the first half is really too languid to work in a modern film but from 1.50 onwards this is quality. Although you have to debate if that extra TB section really is the 007 theme at all given it never appears in any other version?

Nonetheless excellent stuff Murdock and nice end flourish with Bond theme.

I'm just trying to remember what Newman's score is like for that scene and in all honesty I can't recall a thing about it. Not sure if that's because my mind is blotting out the horror or just because it's so bland and generic? Probably both.
    Agreed. We got a whole bunch of Dun Dun dah dahhhh's that were mostly flute versions then a cool Brassy Thunderball one during the finale but It never built up into the full Bond theme which sucked. What SP suffered from musically was Bond theme stage fright. It was trying to come on stage several times but ultimately didn't. :))

This.

Mendes is so keen to homage everything else so why not just a straight rendition of the Bond theme?

One of the things I love about the Little Nellie scene is when the helicopters attack and the original version from DN starts up and you just know you're in for a proper Bond action sequence.

Do we consider that version too dated now a well or is it timeless? OHMSS is the last time we heard it isn't it? I would at least have brought it back for the 50th but then I would have put the GB at the start and not with such a shit design so what do I know?
    Still think the first half is really too languid to work in a modern film but from 1.50 onwards this is quality. Although you have to debate if that extra TB section really is the 007 theme at all given it never appears in any other version?

Nonetheless excellent stuff Murdock and nice end flourish with Bond theme.

I'm just trying to remember what Newman's score is like for that scene and in all honesty I can't recall a thing about it. Not sure if that's because my mind is blotting out the horror or just because it's so bland and generic? Probably both.

After listening to the "007" theme so much recently I can't help but think it would make a perfect Western theme. The Magnificent 007? Hah. Luckily Thunderball had the most "Intense" versions of the theme. It's the best I had to work with. I think the second half still counts as 007 because it has parts of the overall melody. It's more like an extended version of the theme with extra intense melodies. But thank you, I've really been enjoying these. I couldn't remember what the original sounded like either to be honest. :)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,157

Exactly. I loved the way Nemwan used the vamp in L'Americain, Backfire, Los Muertos Vivos Estan (this has to be one of the best Bond tracks ever made, along with Spectre (End Credits) because of the haunting piano at the end) and Detonation, but I wish we really had the guitar riff appear somewhere.

It doesn't even need to be a full bombasting orchestration; Arnold used it well in Trip Field, Time to Get Out (03:18), Pursuit at Port Au Prince (05:34), Jinx, James & Genes (04:57) - just to name a few - without necessarily using it as an action theme, and so did Norman (Bond arrives at home and Killing the Guard) and Barry (Bond Meets Bambi And Thumper and Scaramanga's Fun House for instance).

Exactly. I loved the way Nemwan used the vamp in L'Americain, Backfire, Los Muertos Vivos Estan (this has to be one of the best Bond tracks ever made, along with Spectre (End Credits) because of the haunting piano at the end) and Detonation, but I wish we really had the guitar riff appear somewhere.

It doesn't even need to be a full bombasting orchestration; Arnold used it well in Trip Field, Time to Get Out (03:18), Pursuit at Port Au Prince (05:34), Jinx, James & Genes (04:57) - just to name a few - without necessarily using it as an action theme, and so did Norman (Bond arrives at home and Killing the Guard) and Barry (Bond Meets Bambi And Thumper and Scaramanga's Fun House for instance).

I loved how it was used in Los Muertos Vivos Estan, that's the best thing Newman ever did with the Bond theme. It was such a big tease of what to expect that no little teeny tiny use of it lived up to the greatness of that track. I don't fully like Backfire as It starts off sloppy but when the Bond theme kicks in the middle and goes into the choir it was awesome. I just wish it didn't end with an inferior reprise of Grand Bazaar

It's a shame Newman didn't use it more because it certainly would have elevated his score. I generally prefer Bond scores that have a higher use of of the James Bond theme itself but I do make exceptions for Scores like OHMSS or AVTAK that have new themes that are just as good and memorable as the Bond Theme itself. Newman can do (No pun intended) Atmosphere and ambient tracks just fine but the action themes were sorely lacking in my opinion.
    Simply put i long to hear this tune again. To have it in a 5th and final DC Bond movie would be the icing on the cake!
    Spectre had some good Bond theme cues

Bond walking along Mexico city rooftops
    The end of the PTS in the chopper.
    L'american arrival
    jumping off the top level of MI6 ruins with Madeline
    the ending scene
    In a way it did return in other mediums, not the exact theme of course but these were very much on the nose inspired by "007"

The Incredibles.

Neon Genesis Evangelion.
  • The Incredibles track seems definitely inspired by 007, whereas the Neon Genesis Evangelion one is basically plagiarism, I mean seriously.
    The Incredibles track seems definitely inspired by 007, whereas the Neon Genesis Evangelion one is basically plagiarism, I mean seriously.
    What's even more ironic and sad is that on an identical video the comments were accusing John Barry of plagiarism despite 007 being written 40 some years earlier before this. =))
  • Murdock wrote: »
    The Incredibles track seems definitely inspired by 007, whereas the Neon Genesis Evangelion one is basically plagiarism, I mean seriously.
    What's even more ironic and sad is that on an identical video the comments were accusing John Barry of plagiarism despite 007 being written 40 some years earlier before this. =))

How ignorant people can be these days...