Can the '007 Theme' return?

Comments

• I would love to see this theme make a comeback.

Since were talking 007 theme here what was your preferred version?

FRWL, TB, YOLT, DAF or MR

There all different in each outing but for me I like all but YOLT & DAF are my favs.

• DarthDimi wrote:
    I agree that the 007 Theme is a superb piece of music but it's fairly unsuitable I think in a modern Bond film. A brilliant composer would have to labour feverishly IMO to have it fit a contemporary score.

Similar to how Arnold used it in 'Blunt Instrument' in the CR soundtrack...I would like that. It's as if the bond theme is in the background with 'You Know My Name' being the primary theme. It comes in around 1:18

PLEASE NOTE: This is not meant to begin an Arnold bashing session, nor is it meant to begin a debate on Arnold's relevancy in the franchise.
    Going on what we know about Skyfall? How about a montage moment like we had in OHMSS? You know where Bond romanced Tracy to "We have all the time in the world". When Bond takes M to Scotland in the DB5? How about the 007 music playing whilst passing well known British landmarks or just general amazing panaramic shots of the country as they drive through it? That would be awesome IMHO?!!!
    I concur, the 007 Theme needs resurrecting and it would be great if it was used in Skyfall.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Samuel001 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I agree that the 007 Theme is a superb piece of music but it's fairly unsuitable I think in a modern Bond film. A brilliant composer would have to labour feverishly IMO to have it fit a contemporary score.
    Bits of the theme would work such as the rift from 8 - 13 seconds in the below video. Small hints would add something to the proceedings such as when Bond is running, think the recent photos, for example. Even the background beat throught the theme is great, just on it's own.

I just love seeing my channel pop up on a Bond forum like this! Nice one :)
    I don't think we will ever hear the great theme in a Bond film again!! Time has not made this theme easy to fit into a modern picture, because once you mix it up a bit you loose the whole feeling and texture of that great orchestration!? Pure John Barry, but best kept in the past!!
    :-B
  • why the reason behind 007 theme not returning? copyright of John Barry?
    They should open the movie with this from the gunbarrel forward. It would at least be a good start. :D
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 172
    SaintMark wrote:
    They should open the movie with this from the gunbarrel forward. It would at least be a good start. :D

I'd be for that.

What version of 007 theme do you like best? FRWL, TB, YOLT, DAF & MR.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think it could make for a great musical opening to accompany the Skyfall PTS motorbike action.
    why the reason behind 007 theme not returning? copyright of John Barry?

Yes, that's it. Barry's estate hold the copyrights.
    This theme should accompany an epic battle scene - the kind where Bond (and possibly his allies) is taking on a bunch of baddy goons. We haven't had a scene like that in a Bond movie for years. I believe (may be wrong) it was used for the rooftop fight scene at the docks in YOLT. Classic.
  • Getafix wrote:
    This theme should accompany an epic battle scene - the kind where Bond (and possibly his allies) is taking on a bunch of baddy goons. We haven't had a scene like that in a Bond movie for years. I believe (may be wrong) it was used for the rooftop fight scene at the docks in YOLT. Classic.

It was used during Little Nellie battle. Good version of the theme and played perfectly over the volcanic area.

One again J Barry at his best.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 278

The copyright is part Owned by John Barry's estate and by Eon as well! Laurie Barry( Johns wife) would have no qualms in letting Eon (BB) use it again if the theme was wanted/needed!? As Laurie Barry and Barbara Broccoli are good friends and all...

Great theme by the great Man, but highly unlikely to be used again in the main film, maybe a new remix on the end credits... :-B
  • MrEon wrote:

The copyright is part Owned by John Barry's estate and by Eon as well! Laurie Barry( Johns wife) would have no qualms in letting Eon (BB) use it again if the theme was wanted/needed!? As Laurie Barry and Barbara Broccoli are good friends and all...

Great theme by the great Man, but highly unlikely to be used again in the main film, maybe a new remix on the end credits... :-B

I'd be for that too. ending with a good remix.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    MrEon wrote:

Arnold has said for years he'd have loved to use it if he could... It now makes me wonder why he didn't if he thinks that much of it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    MrEon wrote:

Arnold has said for years he'd have loved to use it if he could... It now makes me wonder why he didn't if he thinks that much of it.

As David Arnold's Twitter account confirms, he says a lot!!!
    And whats more, I would say that BB has been the reason the theme has never re-emerged!? We shall see, or hear..... :-B
    DarthDimi wrote:
    No. If I knew more about instant synth recording, I´d put up some ideas immediately. Musically it´s no problem at all to make it sound contemporary and fit neatly into a score á la Arnold.

boldfinger wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    No. If I knew more about instant synth recording, I´d put up some ideas immediately. Musically it´s no problem at all to make it sound contemporary and fit neatly into a score á la Arnold.

...But why!? Its a classic theme now and always will be, it doesn't need to be funked up or played with!! Leave it where it is, in the past! :-B
    SaintMark wrote:

I'd be for that.

What version of 007 theme do you like best? FRWL, TB, YOLT, DAF & MR.

Moonraker
    Theme 007 Theme would of worked well in Quantum of solace in the part where Camille tries to kill General Medrano for the first time and Bond rescues her, don't you think so? :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, had the editing of the action not been the botch up that it was. As it is, it would have been a clunky return to the series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Right now, I just want the Bond theme to return. Nothing against the 007 theme, but I think because we have not had the 007 theme since MR, i'm in no hurry to hear it. Whereas the Bond theme has been more present in the series, and without it, it just isn't Bond.
  • Anyone know where I can find the 007 theme from Diamonds are Forever??
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 824
    Anyone know where I can find the 007 theme from Diamonds are Forever??

The 'Diamonds Are Forever' expanded score CD from EMI (2003)

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2012 Posts: 16,331
    Here you go @Signed_By_RogerMoore. :)

• Murdock wrote:

Ah @Murdock you have made me so happy! Been hunting everywhere for this, didn't think it would be titled as this though! :)
    Murdock wrote:

Ah @Murdock you have made me so happy! Been hunting everywhere for this, didn't think it would be titled as this though! :)

Yeah I know almost everything about Every James Bond soundtrack. I got them all. I don't think there's a single track I can't identify. :D
  • Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yeah I know almost everything about Every James Bond soundtrack. I got them all. I don't think there's a single track I can't identify. :D

Haha I'm glad because I would never have guessed it be under this...must be an impressive CD to have because the DAF soundtrack is amazing.

I do love this version of the DAF theme...it's big and brassy and yet there is a touch of 70's Bond. I wish this would return :(
  • When I was about 9 years old my Dad came back from work one day with a James Bond Greatest Hits record. The one from 1982.
    I listened to that record so much and I loved all of the music on it. The only piece that I didn't like was the 007 theme. I think that particular recording of it was rubbish (the orchestrated version from the Thunderball soundtrack).
    I think it used brilliantly in FRWL and the other version used in Thunderball is awesome but the versions from DAF and MR are, in my opinion, naff.

I say leave it in the past. It will always sound 'old fashioned' and it belongs to a different era - classic 60's Bond.
    Also, why would a current day Bond composer wish to use an old Barry piece of music?
    I like the remastered version of "007 Takes the Lektor" on the 40th Anniversary Ultimate James Bond soundrack. It sounds much bigger and bombastic, and I've played it over the QoS climax and it works very well. :)