It's 1980 and Moore looks like he is not coming back...who would you like for the role.........

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    There is one person who didn't ask for Brosnan in 1987, or 1995.... And he posted right before me. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Was Brosnan only known for Remington Steele when he was suggested for Bond in the 80s?

If so, it seems like a rather thin resume to be the favourite for the world's greatest secret agent & one of the most coveted starring roles.

Perhaps the shadow of Moore's characterization (12 years long at that point) sort of framed & directed the thinking towards more suave characters, of which there may have been limited choices at the time. Also, American media may have had more of a say then, with Steele being a US hit and all.

Similarly today folks are suggesting Hardy. He's a good actor, but I don't think anyone would have considered him for Bond before Craig got the part. So Craig's looks & portrayal have likewise opened the door towards more 'macho' looking chaps these days.
    Where does this idea that people wanted Brosnan come from in the first place?

That's common knowledge. I remember how the media from the beginning supported Brosnan wholeheartedly. It was kind of a given regarding the history of the franchise that Brosnan would take over.
    Brosnan went the same road as Moore and Dalton before him.
    Nobody was surprised, as it was widely known that Brosnan would have taken over in 1997. It was all over the media back then.
    Brosnan didn't get any opposition. None.

But Dalton was EON's first choice for TLD ahead of Brosnan.
    Back in 1987 (and 1995) it seems everyone wanted Brosnan. The medias wanted Brosnan. The public wanted Brosnan. Brosnan wanted Brosnan. He was Moore's heir apparent.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I just remember him being mentioned as a possible candidate along with a bunch of other names, like Oliver Tobias, Ian Ogilvy, harrison Ford, Christopher Reeve and what have you. Someone who wasn t mentioned, was Dalton.
    Ian McShame was too short, but his face and acting skills would have been perfect.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No one American.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    No one American.

Ian McShane is not American.
    I was answering the title of the post ("It's 1980 and Moore looks like he is not coming back...who would you like for the role.........."). Quite right Ian McShane is not American, but I assumed mentioning him as potential Bond was a joke anyhow.
    No he was and is still a great actor. Just too short.
    Ian McShane these days would make an absolutely chilling villain. Watch him in Ray Donovan Season 3 or Sexy Beast for evidence. Scary as hell.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames if Brosnan had returned for a 5th film in 2004 or so, and they continued hiring british actors for the main villain, they really should have chosen Ben Kingsley, especially if he'd replicate his performance from 'Sexy Beast', which also featured Ian McShane I believe.

I agree @DaltonCraig007. Kingsley also would have been superb. Yes, they are both in Sexy Beast, and are both, in their own way, terrifying.

If anyone hasn't seen that film, they should go out and get it immediately. A work of art.
  • From what I recall, Dalton was considered in '81, but in the '85 time period, he wasn't really mentioned until Brosnan passed up.
    @bondjames if Brosnan had returned for a 5th film in 2004 or so, and they continued hiring british actors for the main villain, they really should have chosen Ben Kingsley, especially if he'd replicate his performance from 'Sexy Beast', which also featured Ian McShane I believe.

I agree. Good call.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Not a Bond though.

Not a Bond though.

Because he's too short. With his face in his prime and the right height he would have been great.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Moore himself or Dalton.

If we start imagining, I would have liked Jeremy Brett but he looked (and maybe was, at 47) too old by that time. Maybe he would have worked for one of two movies, but that's about it.

What about Neil Dickson, the guy from Biggles?

The problem with Moore, though he appeared young at 46, his age seemed to hyper accelerate after that. In his tenure they in no way addressed Moores Bond aging, if they had his latter films may have worked even better. Though the franchise got stuck in the idea that a out of shape aging man was a superman. If Bond was seen to be getting older and slower it could have been a ark they could have explored pre SF. Moore getting old was not a big a issue as the film makers dressing him in tracksuits for me. Lewis Collins would have been a good choice to take over, he is a proto Craig. Who Dares Wins is excellent and a great audition for Bond.

Not a Bond though.

Because he's too short. With his face in his prime and the right height he would have been great.

Still No. Acting ability or lookswise.
    Have you seen how he looked at the time? As for acting abilities he's an amazing actor.

Still love the suggestion of Gabriel Byrne as Bond. His tenure could have covered the rest of Moore's, Dalton's and maybe a bit of Brosnan's.
  • Lazenby!

...hey, I got nothing.
    Have you seen how he looked at the time? As for acting abilities he's an amazing actor.

Still love the suggestion of Gabriel Byrne as Bond. His tenure could have covered the rest of Moore's, Dalton's and maybe a bit of Brosnan's.

He's ok. I'm an 80's kid so I've seen him in plenty of TV and films. He's not a Bond to me though.

Gabriel Byrne may have been ok in the 80's/ 90's. But I'm still not sure as Bond. His darker edge would have been interesting though.
    Lazenby!

...hey, I got nothing.

We he did make OHMSS which remains a top 5 film.
    David Soul aka Hutch

He's ok. I'm an 80's kid so I've seen him in plenty of TV and films. He's not a Bond to me though.

Gabriel Byrne may have been ok in the 80's/ 90's. But I'm still not sure as Bond. His darker edge would have been interesting though.

Byrne would have been more accepted than Dalton I would dare to say. Especially had he succeeded to Moore in FYEO. But that is pure speculation.
    Jeremy Bulloch
    How about Jeremy Irons? 32 years old in 1980, the same age as Connery in DN. Great actor, smouldering look, extremely British and enough cockiness.

Too bad Dalton was vetoed at the start of this discussion, because there's no doubt in my mind Dalton would have been great in FYEO. But I think Dalton's OP might have been quite a different movie - and I must admit I really like OP just the way it is. I know, the jungle scene is a bit much (the Tarzan scene always makes me grind my teeth), but otherwise a very entertaining Moore-outing, imho. But would have loved to see more of Dalton as Bond.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Too bad Dalton was vetoed at the start of this discussion, because there's no doubt in my mind Dalton would have been great in FYEO. But I think Dalton's OP might have been quite a different movie - and I must admit I really like OP just the way it is. I know, the jungle scene is a bit much (the Tarzan scene always makes me grind my teeth), but otherwise a very entertaining Moore-outing, imho. But would have loved to see more of Dalton as Bond.
    You have brought up a dilemma with this discussion in my view. I think Moore was just perfect in FYEO & in OP. Two very different films, but both superior Bond experiences in their own right.

So even though it would have been nice to get Dalton in earlier, or Byrne, or whoever, I just don't think any of them could have done as good a job as Sir Rog did in these two films. Plus he was well accepted in the role at this point so why change?

Really, the discussion title and real conversation should be about who should have replaced Moore for AVTAK. That is the film that I could have done without & not lost any sleep, just like I could have done without Brosnan's last two.
    Agreed.