It's 1980 and Moore looks like he is not coming back...who would you like for the role.........

Comments

• Sir Timothy Dalton or Pierce Bronsan.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Timothy Dalton.
  • Definitely Dalton. He already had the chops and had grown into his looks. I think had he done FYEO it would have been a great start for him. HOWEVER, would audiences have warmed to him any more then than the did later? I suspect not.

Some of the choices people have suggested really surprise me. I never understood why people wanted Neeson as Bond. I really like him (and a friend worked with him in theatre in Ireland in the late 70s) but I just can't see him as Bond. Same with McCorkindale or Anthony Andrews. Neither seem at all like Bond, and both seem far too lightweight for the role - they seem much more like TV actors, even moreso than Brosnan. And Brosnan was WAY too young and manorexic for Bond in 1980...and 1986!

I've only seen snippets of Lewis Collins but can see him becoming a great Bond - still light and charming but also more manly. At one point I quite liked the idea of Ewan McGregor as Bond - I thought he would be interesting casting and would bring far better acting chops than Brosnan and perhaps a bit of a retro feel to his performance. But in 1980? He'd be 20!

Also, I never understood the appeal of Sam Neill. Again, I really like him as an actor but thought his screenplay lacklustre - he seemed to be "playing Bond" instead of being Bond. and I'm not sure how mainstream audiences would have taken to him.
  • Definitely not Brosnan, it was far too premature at that stage in time

Dalton also, a little too early. I felt 1987 was the right time for a debut in retrospect

Thing is, back in 1980, Moore was Bond of course, and while getting too old for the part slowly and surely, was still capable, and gave a great performance for For Your Eyes Only, and I wouldn't have changed him with anyone that year. It was only with the last two releases that I really took issue
    Timothy Dalton
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I would have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at Roger Moore and got him back. There were no real suitable alternatives at that time imho. Cubby did the right thing.
    2) Liam Neeson (but he would have been a bit young, eh?)

Agreed- although he sure is a badass now, most people don't remember that he used to be weird looking when he was young. (lol sorry for being so blunt)

This is him in 1981

12701-5871.gif

The dude definitely grew into his looks. The 90's would have been perfect for him IMO- but 1980? No way

Give him a haircut and a shave and Neeson might have looked like Bond. In Excalibur, he did not really look or acted like Gawain either, IMO.

Talking of Excalibur, how about Nicholas Clay as James Bond? He was amazing as Lancelot.

Another one I would have liked to see is Ray Lonnen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mel Gibson would have been good.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I would have taken Connery. He'd be back in two years anyway, looking pretty good and making a good show of it. He could have stayed on for OCTOPUSSY , as well (and maybe Roger would have been in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, try to imagine that reversal). Then A VIEW TO A KILL could have gone to Timothy.

Ha. I wonder what the title would have been if Moore was in NSNA.

(Pretty sure Lazenby's version would have been titled THE BIRDS AND THE BREAD).
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Nobody Does It Better ;)

Seriously, Rog would have worked in NSNA. Particularly playing the 'older' agent who's losing relevancy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    There's only one man for the job:

12296-21906.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Only if Moore is in full 'The Sicilian Cross' mode:

6675103_orig.png

That is the first time I have genuinely bought into Moore being able to play a tough character. Where was that quality during his Bond films?

6675103_orig.png

That is the first time I have genuinely bought into Moore being able to play a tough character. Where was that quality during his Bond films?

It was in FYEO.

12296-21906.gif

Rufus Excalibur ffolkes?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

6675103_orig.png

It was in FYEO.

There were attempts, but Moore always looked umcomfortable when his Bond had to act tough.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Nobody Does It Better ;)

:D Well, if "Keeping the British end up" is unavailable...

I'm guessing that in this alternate universe, the Dalton version of OP would have been titled The Property of a Lady, as Octopussy might have come across as too camp for a new serious direction.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117

12296-21906.gif

I f**king love that film!
  • I'd have tried to have seen if George Lazenby had become reasonable.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A little known actor named Moger Roore. ;)
  • A comedic actor named Roger Moore, more like it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Easy, Lewis Collins. And I will never understand why Cubby didn't like him.

Of course everything is fine as it played out. I wouldn't want to miss Timothy Dalton's two marvelous movies.

Collins certainly would have stayed for the whole decade.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sam Neill went for it at the same time as Dalton did. I would have loved him as Bond if he had managed to sneak in three films before Dalts took the reigns, hypothetically.

pretty easy for me Timothy Dalton all the way.
  • pretty easy for me Timothy Dalton all the way.

I agree, and wish there had been a third Dalton film, though as I stated earlier, I'd have seen if George Lazenby had cooled off.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It was rumoured sometime in 1982 that Moore, Lazenby and Connery will all have their Bonds for the upcoming year. Well, Moore and Connery did, and Lazenby ended up playing "J.B." in a cameo role in The Return of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. before the credits sequence.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    As already suggested, Lewis Collins would have made a fantastic 007.
  • George cudda done it, the big dummy.
    Sam Neill would have been awful.
  • To be fair, Rog was still in the game in FYEO.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. I'm glad Rog stuck around for FYEO to be honest. He was great in it. OP as well, to provide a suitable heavyweight contrast to the great Connery.

He should have left before AVTAK though imho.

Sir Rog reminds me of Ali. He just kept going and going until he couldn't any more. If he credibly could, I'm sure the public would have still bought him in the role, just like Ali.