Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Anyone else get writers block sometimes? I can't write down my thoughts at the moment and it's really annoying. Even ~O) hasn't helped. :-S
    No, I never get wri...err...
    X(

I like your humour. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks for seeing it as humour.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anyone else get writers block sometimes? I can't write down my thoughts at the moment and it's really annoying. Even ~O) hasn't helped. :-S

As a graduated writing major, I know the feeling well, @Mendes4Lyfe. I always get writer's block when writing fiction, but thankfully when I'm writing analysis (like most of what I post here) I can be pretty fast on the uptake and get the words out that I want to.

What are you trying to write a response to?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,152

As a graduated writing major, I know the feeling well, @Mendes4Lyfe. I always get writer's block when writing fiction, but thankfully when I'm writing analysis (like most of what I post here) I can be pretty fast on the uptake and get the words out that I want to.

I wanted to post my thoughts on Craigs interview, but I just can't seem to gather them at the moment. Hopefully some sleep will do the trick. I-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I wanted to post my thoughts on Craigs interview, but I just can't seem to gather them at the moment. Hopefully some sleep will do the trick. I-)

Ah, I thought so.

Sleep and separation from thoughts of a particular thing can do the trick, for sure. In my college days my greatest companion was my mattress, a great source of recharge between papers and exams. Shut-eye will get your head clear and give your brain some quiet time to work itself out. Nighty night. ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Yes, it is a real phenomenon and I get it quite a lot on and off. I find that if you get whatever you are writing started it begins to almost write itself from then on. A rest and some time away from it helps too. I don't get it so much in my posts here but more when I am writing a new blog article. That's sometimes why they take ages to be published - the ideas are there, it's just getting it onto paper.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

Yup. Personally I deal with it by setting to work outlining the plot for my next project. Then at least I feel I am doing something.
    @stag, as a published author, how intensive are your outlines?

I've tried everything from rough outlines that I use just to guide me in some of the major parts of a chapter I'm writing (then I fill in the other details in between almost like improvisation) while in other cases I map out an entire story in heavy detail, like a roadmap that takes me from the beginning to the end of a work.

I'm just curious what approach you've found works best for you? I know some writers just jump into their books without a guide to where they are going, but I personally think that's a recipe for disaster.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,053
    @BradyMOBondfanatic7. I don't actually stick to one formula and my outlines are just that - each chapter will consist of perhaps a paragraph or two of ideas. When getting the outline of a plot together I tend to imagine it in my minds eye as if I were watching a film. I then put a basic plot down on paper after which I start writing in ernest. Once finished the first draft I go back & re-read/write adding detail until I'm satisfied that I can do no more. Because I'm working on a series of books 'starring' the same character, if I get stuck I tend to either do some work on the plot for the next book or go back over what I have already written to polish it up. Actually the latter tends to get me moving again.
    @stag, that's not far off from my own writing system. Thanks for sharing!
    @stag, that's not far off from my own writing system. Thanks for sharing!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 another trick of mine is to write the opening few lines of each chapter before I actually begin work on the first draft. It helps me to set the scene and the way I want the story to go. Try it as it may work for you also. Below is an example of that from the book I am currently working on. Those couple of sentences are always subject to change of course but they usually lead me in the right direction.

"The flight had been delayed, so almost an hour and a half behind schedule the DC3 swept into land at La Guardia airport. There was rain in the breeze and the leaden sky forecast more as Flynn and the rest of the passengers disembarked then crossed to the terminal building for the brisk formalities of customs and immigration......................"

It just gives me enough to work on. I have actually finished the chapter in question but instead of pondering over how I should begin I already had a head start.

@stag, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely put them into practice when I next have the chance.
    It's fascinating to read your writing methodologies, @stag and @Brady. I used to write fiction when I was much younger but I stick to non-fiction nowadays.
    I'm quite a fan of both. Which is good, because when one stales or becomes rough, switching to the other freshens things again and revitalizes the juices.
    @Dragonpol Personally I think the task of non fiction writing is more difficult and I could never hope to achieve the standards set in your own blog.
    stag wrote: »
    @Dragonpol Personally I think the task of non fiction writing is more difficult and I could never hope to achieve the standards set in your own blog.

Thank you so much for saying so. Your support for my blog is much appreciated. Everyone has their own strengths I suppose. I would find what you do very difficult, nay impossible.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    These bootleg Star Wars action figures are hilariously bad;
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When did they make a Charles Bronson action figure!? =))
    Today is October 12th , a date all Iceland-ers know and fear.

It was on this day the volcano Katla erupted , in 1612 and in 1918.

The eruption in 1918 lasted 24 days, and changed the map of Iceland forever.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This time last year I was back in Blighty, travelling to Cambridge from London with my son. On our way to see, An Evening With Sir Roger Moore.
    What a great night.
    Benny wrote: »
    This time last year I was back in Blighty, travelling to Cambridge from London with my son. On our way to see, An Evening With Sir Roger Moore.
    What a great night.

More details please. Was it a Q & A or him reminising about his life - or both? I've always liked Sir rog and would have loved to have been there.

Yes I know I'm posting twice in succession but please bear with me.........

Are there any computor people out there who can help me?

I use the Opera browser. Last evening I attempted to log into MI6 but the page would not load. I tried a few other sites and some would load while others wouldn't. Turning on my laptop this morning I found the same problem. I do have Firefox intalled (but disabled) so in desperation I set that running. Hey presto here I am.

The issue lies obviously with the Opera browser itself. Has anyone any ideas as to the cause?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    These browsers get outdated. Could that be it?
    These browsers get outdated. Could that be it?

Thanks. I think it would automatically update? I I might remove Opera then reinstall it (I'm getting here courtesy of Firefox) but don't want to lose all the settings.

I use the Opera browser. Last evening I attempted to log into MI6 but the page would not load. I tried a few other sites and some would load while others wouldn't. Turning on my laptop this morning I found the same problem. I do have Firefox intalled (but disabled) so in desperation I set that running. Hey presto here I am.

The issue lies obviously with the Opera browser itself. Has anyone any ideas as to the cause?

@stag According to this post on Opera's forum, it's an ongoing issue with Opera. Seems the best solution is another browser. I'm fond of Chrome myself.
    http://forums.opera.com/discussion/1840756/opera-will-not-load-stuck-on-loading-tab-/p1

The only work-around with Opera is to disable "sandboxing" which creates a security hole.
    Thanks for that @BMW_with_missiles. It looks like I'll be sticking with Firefox then!
    Thanks for that @BMW_with_missiles. It looks like I'll be sticking with Firefox then!

You're welcome.

Try Google Chrome or Internet Explorer instead.
    Thanks,@Dragonpol. I have tried IE but can't get on with it and - I think - Chrome is closely related to Opera so the same issue may raise its head? I switched from Firefox after using it for as long as I have had internet access but went over to Opera after experiencing some issues with the former. All was well with Opera until I found I couldn't load some web pages. I tried it again this morning and it is still the same.