Going away or coming back?

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    Back to the Mi6 Community page as it is the last day of holidays in Vanuatu. Thank for the Bon voyage send offs you lovely people! I'm now back in the main city of Port Vila and have to catch an early morning flight back to Isthmus tomorrow and then the crushing reality of work the next day.

Have spent a week in some of the most beautiful beaches. The remote island of Espirtu Santo was the highlight. Spent four days in a simple hut on the shore of Lannoc Beach. Literally thirty metres from the shoreline. Around the corner is Champagne Beach - one of the most idyllic settings ever. Found coconuts on the beach, drank the coconut water, then cracked it open and ate the flesh as I read Thunderball on the beach next to my wife. It was perfection.

Thunderball was a good read, even if the experience was more like Crab Key. I even swam up from snorkelling and would show my wife a shell and say 'I can sell these in Miami for 50 dollars! 50!' She would look blankly, knowing I was making a reference to some film, probably a Bond one...

Excellent snorkelling all around Vanuatu. A real highlight for you Bond fans would be Million Dollar Point where the Americans pushed all their military vehicles into the water at the end of world war 2. You can snorkel down and see the rusted jeeps and ships. It's both haunting and beautiful as colourful coral breathes new life into the watery graveyard. Attracting luminously bright fish who swim all around you. It's quite a unique marvel.

Glad to be back and will join the 'Award Winning Bond Comments' thread when I watch Thunderball (which will be shortly!)

Fantastic post and a warm welcome back Major B !!!!
    Any photos ??

Thanks @barryt007 - I will post some photos once I'm back home. Need to start a Flickr account to store them! I think there should be some good ones for all you fans of tropical bond settings (and let's face it. Who among us isn't?!)

Too right old chum !!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited August 2019 Posts: 2,721
    Thank @Benny - I'll have plenty of photos - but I don't have a go pro so no underwater ones unfortunately (will have to look into purchasing one of those for future Bondian escapades)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Welcome back! Allthough I can't for the life of me understand why you'd leave a place like that... ;-)
    "Welcome back.......
    your dreams were your ticket out

Welcome back..........

to that same old place that you laughed about.....

Well the names have all changed since you hung around

But those dreams have remained and they've turned around

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya
    (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)

Back here where we need ya
    (Back here where we need ya)

Yeah ..........
    we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot
    Welcome back...........
    welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.............

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back"
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Good to have you back, @ToTheRight! :)
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 15,801
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Thanks, @DarthDimi.
    :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Thanks, @DarthDimi.

Indeed! good to see you post again!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Thanks, @DarthDimi.

Indeed! good to see you post again!

Thanks!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'll be away from tomorrow until Bank Holiday Monday, doing a road trip to visit friends in France via bits of Belgium and Germany. Tomorrow night we're staying in Bruges, as my partner's a big fan of In Bruges - only fair after all the Bond locations I've dragged him to!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I'll be away from tomorrow until Bank Holiday Monday, doing a road trip to visit friends in France via bits of Belgium and Germany. Tomorrow night we're staying in Bruges, as my partner's a big fan of In Bruges - only fair after all the Bond locations I've dragged him to!

Not my favourite town in my country, but certainly worth a look. Have fun!
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,104
    Thank you both! I'll be sure to take photos of how annoyingly pretty it all is!

@DarthDimi, is there anywhere you'd particularly recommend? (And where are you based, if that's not too nosey?) We'll be travelling southeast and spending the next night in Gouvy before pressing on to Germany.
    Have a good time @Agent_99 - Bruges is a picturesque town, especially the main square there.

Had a good night there many years ago when me and some friends stayed at the local camp ground and there was a huge party as they were emptying the kegs and giving beer away. Hell of a fun night!

Is it a motorcycle trip for you both?

@DarthDimi, is there anywhere you'd particularly recommend? (And where are you based, if that's not too nosey?) We'll be travelling southeast and spending the next night in Gouvy before pressing on to Germany.

I live in a non-descript little town between Brussels and Antwerp. Nothing to see here. ;) I would recommend Ghent, but it's imparative that someone show you around lest you get stuck in those parts of the city that aren't worth it. Antwerp is my personal favourite next to our capital of Brussels, of course. ;) But I'm sure you'll like Bruges.

Let me know what your impressions of us, Belgians, are. I like to think of us as sober-minded, somewhat serene but kind. We're typically a respectful lot, treasuring freedom and not easily offended. Of course now I hope you won't run into some bad examples. ;)
    It is indeed a bike trip, @Major_Boothroyd! Hoping the weather cheers up a bit after this week.

I've yet to meet a rude Belgian, @DarthDimi, but if I do I'll remember they're the exception! I've always found everyone very helpful, with excellent English.
    It is indeed a bike trip, @Major_Boothroyd! Hoping the weather cheers up a bit after this week.

I've yet to meet a rude Belgian, @DarthDimi, but if I do I'll remember they're the exception! I've always found everyone very helpful, with excellent English.

We never dub movies (unless for the wee ones) and we prefer to read English books in English. I guess that explains a lot. ;-) Also, the British are, technically, our neighbours.

Now then, I'm sure you will agree with me that Belgium is not a failed state, despite a certain Donald T. suggesting otherwise. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I live in a non-descript little town between Brussels and Antwerp. Nothing to see here. ;) I would recommend Ghent, but it's imparative that someone show you around lest you get stuck in those parts of the city that aren't worth it. Antwerp is my personal favourite next to our capital of Brussels, of course. ;) But I'm sure you'll like Bruges.

Let me know what your impressions of us, Belgians, are. I like to think of us as sober-minded, somewhat serene but kind. We're typically a respectful lot, treasuring freedom and not easily offended. Of course now I hope you won't run into some bad examples. ;)
    This should read imperative that someone shows you.

Glad to help.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,529

This should read imperative that someone shows you.

Glad to help.

Actually, "It is Imperative that" is usually followed by a clause containing a verb in the present tense that doesn't change to agree with the subject.

Glad to help. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Imperative to have someone show you is more correct.
    Now then, I'm sure you will agree with me that Belgium is not a failed state, despite a certain Donald T. suggesting otherwise. ;-)

I am 100% more likely to visit a country if I think Donald Trump disapproves of it.
    Imperative to have someone show you is more correct.

I appreciate the help. ;-)

I am 100% more likely to visit a country if I think Donald Trump disapproves of it.

You'll have a lovely time in Brussels then, which Trump mistakes for a country. (I guess Belgium is just one big forbidden zone around Brussels. ;-) ) Didn't Sarah Palin used to think Oslo was in the Netherlands? :D
    @Agent_99 you HAVE to go to Brussels, to the 'Jubelpark', or more specific the 'Koninklijk Museum van het Leger en de Krijgsgeschiedenis' (Royal Army Museum and of the history of armed conflict). They have some amazing aircraft there!!!
    @Agent_99 you HAVE to go to Brussels, to the 'Jubelpark', or more specific the 'Koninklijk Museum van het Leger en de Krijgsgeschiedenis' (Royal Army Museum and of the history of armed conflict). They have some amazing aircraft there!!!

Aww, I got this too late! But I will definitely be doing Brussels at some point!
    Well, I'm off for at least 14 days, probably longer as by the time I'm back I'll probably have a lot of work to catch up onto. Off to my son's 'motherland', or is that 'mother's land', I never can remember ;-) So for now it's Poka poka!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    All the best and safe travels @CommanderRoss
    Have fun, @CommanderRoss!
    Dosvidania @CommanderRoss ! Remember to fix your tie when you're driving that tank.
    Thanks Lady and Gentilemen! It was an interesting trip, with distinct high's (visiting Odessa) and lows (twice now our luggage is delayed because of stikes at AMS, ground crew of KLM). Some good old bureacracy in the mix and a baptizing for the Ukrainian Orthodox church. IT was, all in all, a rather a stocked 'vacation'.

So no tanks this time, allthough I've seen a few up close in a local 'Victory' park, and I realised we in the West got the history of the Soviet Union completely and utterly wrong. But that's for another day. For now I'll try to catch up in my regular hangouts.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Hello peeps!
    Just to let u all know I will be taking a back step from now on ,just checking up on NTTD etc but no more posting .
    You are a great bunch and will do our Mr Bond proud I’m sure !

Barryt007 signing off ......signal now dead.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Save travells @barryt007.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,272
    Don't stay away too long, @barryt007! I need someone to complain about Arsenal with!