Going away or coming back?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hey, hey, hey — don't be mean. We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Be Nice.
    patrik-swayze-roadhouse.jpg
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @timmer , I thought you were going to ease up on the war with @ludovico . I found his position on here to mostly be well-reasoned and clearly laid out, as are your own.

Thank you for your kind words. And I want to say here publicly to @Dragonpol that while we do disagree very strongly on one particular subject and that sometimes these internet debates do get carried away that I have no personal animosity towards him. I would add that he is one of the members whose opinion on Bond I value the most and some of his blog posts are some of the best I ever read. I will also add that there was no personal attack as far as I could see on the Paris thread from either me or my fellow heathens, although because of the subject discussions can get heated.
  • RC7RC7
    Balls to religion. Lighten up guys.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @ Ludovico well said that Man .
    Ludovico wrote: »
    my fellow heathens
    Who you callin' a heathen, mo fo?
    =))
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I've found few endeavors as pointless as debating religion on message boards. The chances of anyone changing their mind is extremely low, and the chances of someone being hurt is extremely high.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,622
    @timmer , I thought you were going to ease up on the war with @ludovico . I found his position on here to mostly be well-reasoned and clearly laid out, as are your own.

Thank you for your kind words. And I want to say here publicly to @Dragonpol that while we do disagree very strongly on one particular subject and that sometimes these internet debates do get carried away that I have no personal animosity towards him. I would add that he is one of the members whose opinion on Bond I value the most and some of his blog posts are some of the best I ever read. I will also add that there was no personal attack as far as I could see on the Paris thread from either me or my fellow heathens, although because of the subject discussions can get heated.
    Nice suck-up. disengenouous as always. I haven't even read the Paris attacks thread for days. I have no idea whats been said for the last little while, yet somehow I guessed correctly, that @rasputin was being a dick again, and I still don't know what he said and don't care. Nothing personal blah blah blah blah.
    He misses the point with the nothing personal bs, but he's too dense, although I think unsocialized is just as much on the mark.
    Sark wrote: »
    I've found few endeavors as pointless as debating religion on message boards. The chances of anyone changing their mind is extremely low, and the chances of someone being hurt is extremely high.
    Sark is right and I am not sucking up to him, he just happens to have stated that which normal socialized human beings figured out a long time ago.
    The Count Ludovico is on a crusade. He is obsessed. The guy used to post as @everyman on the old board where countless members also complained about his shit.
    He is obsessed with religion. It's all over this board and the old board. Its all he wants to talk about. I'm sure he rants in his sleep.

@birdleson. I did promise not to provoke the bear any further on that other thread, and I have kept kept that promise. He managed to derail a bond-lit thread of all things, with not one but two religious rants (despite not a peep on the subject from anyone else either) the second rant coming even after being told to knock it off by the mod. But that's all he wants to go on about.

@chrisisall Don't worry about mean. He's basically immune. You have to have some social awareness to be hurt. I couldn't possibly say anything to make him feel bad or hurt. @dragonpol is a kinder gentler soul though who might get understandably exasperated with the stupidity of it all, but @rasputin not likely, and again how did I manage to guess who was being a dick.

I think @nothingpersonal (again as if that's actually the point-dense) should open his own little private rant thread.
    He could call it "God does not exist but I hate him anyway and I need the whole world to know about it 24/7...because I am a nutter" and I mean that in the nicest way of course. Yes, I can be disengenuous too.

btw if anyone wants to peruse good discussions on such matters, checks out the public discussions that Chesterton and George Bernard Shaw had back in the day.
    Chesterton from a Christian perspective and Shaw from an agnostic stance.
    Both very civilized and the two were the best of the friends. Both giants in their field.
    Civilized rational socialized human beings.
    Neither had to make pathetic "it's nothing personal" type aplogies to anyone.

But for those of us who really believe what we choose to believe with no reservation or sensitivity to criticism because we give no f**ks what others think or want to attack us for the entertainment factor is actually quite high.
    :))
    I'm quite sure @timmer isn't sucking up, as I believe we'd disagreed quite strongly on other things.

@Chrisisall, do we really 'choose' what to believe? I know that I couldn't consciously change my religious beliefs, it's not like changing clothes.
    @Chrisisall, do we really 'choose' what to believe? I know that I couldn't consciously change my religious beliefs, it's not like changing clothes.
    Dude, it's like choosing a car, or a girlfriend, or ANOTHER girlfriend... if we don't learn from mistakes & cling to a pattern we've lost.
    When we lose the ability to choose for ourselves, we become the type of human clay that the likes of the Islamic State can mould into whatever they want to achieve their power hungry goals.
    Be independent of any organized beliefs or you fall prey to bulls**t.

Here endeth the sermon. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves...
    doubleoego wrote: »
    As a Christian myself I try not to get into topics about religion online because things tend to always get out of hand. Messy business.

Same here. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and believes different things; though I'm firm in my own beliefs, I won't harass someone for having different ones. I wish everyone could set religion/politics/etc. aside to just get along - or at least be civilized.
    Choosing what to believe is the equivalent of aknowledging that it's all bullshit. I have no choice in the matter, I honestly could not even make myself believe in a higher power (in terms of deities or an omniscient being). The world, life, logic, my perceptions just don't correlate with that line of thinking.

Without going into my beliefs, this is what I mean. I don't have a choice, I can't decide to believe otherwise until some compelling reason to presents itself.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So for twenty odd posts, no-one is leaving or coming back. Well that's good to know.
    @timmer and @Ludovico give it a rest gents. You need to take a deep breath and let it go.
    Great. I'm about as effective peacemaker here as I am with my students.

Not your fault. Maybe I shouldn't have said a thing but since I've been mentioned here I thought I'd say where I stand. I can't do more if some people find me insincere. Except shutting up but that I won't.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    my fellow heathens
    Who you callin' a heathen, mo fo?
    =))

Yeah I know. I usually add Godless heathens.
    Yeah I know. I usually add Godless heathens.
    That's the proper term!
    :)>-
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The second coming is just around the corner now.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm back.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yeah he is :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I'm back.

"I would take a hand for this betrayal, but you need it to post."

Happy to have you back, hope all has been well!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I'm back.

"I would take a hand for this betrayal, but you need it to post."

Happy to have you back, hope all has been well!

Thanks, yes. I just needed a little rest to recharge the batteries.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Dragonpol, been there before, most certainly happens to all of us every once in a while.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed we allneed a break sometimes, welcome back @ Dragonpol. =D>
    Thanks chaps. It's good to be back.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Welcome back, @Dragonpol.

State your name and occupation for the record, please.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,813
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Welcome back, @Dragonpol.

State your name and occupation for the record, please.

The Lord Dragonpol MP - Leader of 'The Colonel Sun Research Special Interest Party'

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Welcome back @Dragonpol,

You will have to be debriefed, and declared fit for active service. You can only return to duty once you've past the tests, so take them seriously...and a shower might be in order.
    I was in the Falklands...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Well it's seems you've become useful again.