Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

TB- 27 votes
    TSWLM- 11 votes

For such an evenly matched pair, 1965 took on 1977 with a slaughter!

Next match: Live and Let Die vs. Octopussy
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2012 Posts: 8,034
    Live & Let Die, although I watched Octopussy for the first time in a long time last night, and it's much better than I remembered.
    Tough call!

Live and Let Die just barely gets this one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,473
    Yet another close call for me. I'll have to think on it for a while, will edit this post when I decide.

I've thought about it, and I'll go with Live and Let Die.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Two of Moore's Best oh boy...hmmmmm....Octopussy.
    This one is extremely close for me as well, but Octopussy takes the win for me, because it is overall a little more exciting and moves more swiftly than LALD. While LALD does beat OP in the villains and the soundtrack, and even Bond performance, I still will take OP because it has better action and moves more swiftly with a better plot.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    One of those occasions when the decision is easy; which I expect to be quite rare. My vote, my #001 Bond film for quite some time now, Octopussy!
    Live And Let Die for me!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    LALD
    LALD
  • DB5DB5
    Jane Seymour and one of the best Bond title songs written and performed by no less than Paul McCartney. Live and Let Die.
    Extremely close, I'm not even 100% on this one, but I'm gonna give it to Octopussy!
    once again, LALD is my favorite Bond movie, which means trouble for any other rival in a ranking/preference contest

Live and Let Die it is. Moore at least looked plausible in the role and was much more serious and believable first time out than his penultimate adventure in 1983

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2012 Posts: 3,262
    OP. John Barry, Cold War, Panavision, more epic feel, more intriguing plot, more exciting and suspenseful 2nd half.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Octopussy...Octopussy.
    By a landslide.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Octopussy. These two are so evenly matched with their own pros and cons.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    We should all be voting for Octopussy and be very thankful that it wasn't Rosie Carver dressed as a clown trying to disarm the nuclear bomb.
    at least Live and Let Die didn't have Tarzan Yells, 'Hiss Off' to serpents, 'Sit' to Tigers, silly 'gator outfits and micro planes coming out of a horses' ass..

Someone has to defend it maybe
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    at least Live and Let Die didn't have Tarzan Yells, 'Hiss Off' to serpents, 'Sit' to Tigers, silly 'gator outfits and micro planes coming out of a horses' ass..

Someone has to defend it maybe

I'll take any one of those over Rosie Carver any day.
    Your loathing of Ms Carver must be quite palpable Kerim

Never had a problem with the character, and I've seen it enough times..
    Your loathing of Ms Carver must be quite palpable Kerim

Never had a problem with the character, and I've seen it enough times..

I've got to go with Kerim on this one, Rosie Carver is quite despicable. They make her look incompetent to hide her loyalty, but it comes off as annoying and stupid.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Octopussy. LALD has the best Bond theme, but OP I think is just much more fun and exciting than LALD, better plot too.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Moore v Moore - when I first saw LALD as a teen I thought it was brilliant, but with age comes wisdom (or something like that) and I don't like as much as once did, find some of the humour a bit too silly (though worse was to come!) and the speedboat chase seems to be a bit of a filler and an excuse for Guy Hamilton to go to New Orleans to listen to some jazz. Octopussy is probably Moore's second best effort (FYEO being first), but some silly bits really let it down, but overall I'll just give it to Octopussy for being better plotted and with a few trims could have been great.
    @Lancaster007: I know what you mean, I used to have LALD at number two in my rankings about two years back (haha, ironic), but as of recently, it's gone down to about number 8 or 9. For me, it was because I found the action to be considerably less entertaining than I had formerly thought it to be.
  • Live And Let Die. No disrespect to Octopussy, but the former is a series classic and just a better, more fun entry without the sound and sight gags.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OP

LALD has Jane, true, but OP has the better script, IMO, the better Bond, the better music (hard to beat Barry), the better locations (again, IMO) and so on. Yes, I'll settle for OP over LALD any day. (Except if Solitaire versus 8pussy is the point of debate. ;-) )
    Live And Let Die is my favourite Moore Bond.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    I believe Octopussy currently leads LALD by a single vote, with the standings at 11-10
    JrW_008 wrote:
    I believe Octopussy currently leads LALD by a single vote, with the standings at 11-10

It is a close one, thankfully! I always enjoy a close match; they're more fun for sure!
    Octopussy