Die Another Day vs Quantum of Solace

12345679»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    QOS has issues and suffers from the "big shoes to fill" syndrome. But compared to DAD, those issues are marginal at best. DAD did not have big shoes to fill IMO - TWINE keeps being mistaken for a hard-boiled, serious and smart film - and its issues are far more fundamental.

QOS is a steak, not exactly cooked to perfection and lacking the proper sauce, but a steak nonetheless. DAD is a candy bar that turns life threatening halfway through, keeps sticking on your teeth no matter what you do and you might actually lose a few teeth because of some barely edible nuts. The goofy wrapping makes you wonder if this product is even meant for you. And then there's Madonna.

So you see, the bottom of the barrel in the Craig years is still presentable as a competent Bond film. DAD, though it has some good things to offer and can be amusing on some occasions, needs to be taken with a video game mentality and expectations that have sank lower than David Hasselhoff's reputation.

All of the above, strictly in my humble opinion - of course.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,116
    DAD and QS aren't near as bad as y'all imagine. QS though not equal the sum of its parts has some great well acted parts. The martini flight scene, the subtlies of Green's private jet scene, the dialogue of Bond explaining the kill to what's her name at the conclusion... DAD had the sword fight, first half, and the first all out Bond epic since MR. Yes both disappointed me tremendously. But neither were as bad as TLD or LTK. Both of those are my easy worse films followed closely by DAF.

Nod to QS for the artistic edge and trying to raise the standard.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    With, QoS, there were things that could have been fixed. With DAD, no repair in the world would make it a great film.
  • RC7RC7
    Solace does more with the character and has a lot going for it in terms of cinematography, score and acting. However, I find it quite tediously linear. I still watch DAD more, it's like a Bond pantomime vs a minimalist Bond stage production. I love a good panto villain.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    QOS because it was over sooner.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    DAD and QS aren't near as bad as y'all imagine. QS though not equal the sum of its parts has some great well acted parts. The martini flight scene, the subtlies of Green's private jet scene, the dialogue of Bond explaining the kill to what's her name at the conclusion... DAD had the sword fight, first half, and the first all out Bond epic since MR. Yes both disappointed me tremendously. But neither were as bad as TLD or LTK. Both of those are my easy worse films followed closely by DAF.

I like the idea that DaD is better than TLD. Comedy gold.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Getafix wrote: »

TLD sits just outside my top five as well, but I don't think it kind to laugh at someone for merely expressing their opinion. I certainly didn't see any venomn in what he said.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,425

TLD sits just outside my top five as well, but I don't think it kind to laugh at someone for merely expressing their opinion. I certainly didn't see any venomn in what he said.

I think @mcdonbb can take it.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,116
    DAD and QS aren't near as bad as y'all imagine. QS though not equal the sum of its parts has some great well acted parts. The martini flight scene, the subtlies of Green's private jet scene, the dialogue of Bond expla

Yeah TLD is totally laughable. Both aren't great but TLD is inexcusably poorly made. Waste of what could have been a better Bond. That's my opinion not yours. Waving dummies, comic villains acting like mannequins, stiff misdirected acting, silly fake M office in a plane etc ... Now DAD didn't fare too much better with the ice sequence but at least entertaining escapism and didn't look cheap.
    Not huge fan of either, but I think DAD is better.
    [DAD at least tried to be a traditional OTT Bond film. QoS had a different agenda and made in a different time. I feel sorry for both films because I did like them both despite their faults.
    I would go with QOS.