Die Another Day vs Quantum of Solace

Comments

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    I would have to say Quantum of Solace. I found it to be a very enjoyable film despite its flaws. Die Another Day, however, too cringeworthy.
  • QOS for me. DAD really is one of the, if not the worst of the Bond movies. QOS, while not being great, is still a lot better.
    Virage wrote:
    In short let me put it like this: Is the franchise being rebooted after QOS?

Really I think that's unfair to DAD. The franchise didn't get rebooted becasuse of DAD; it got rebooted because MGM finally got the rights to CR and since it was Bond's first outing they wanted to make him a younger agent,

No it was because the producers felt like they couldn't carry on "down the road" caused by DAD. CHECK YOUR DVD FEATURES.
    DAD would be my choice before QOS.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    QOS by far the better movie, even with its flaws.
    DAD by far.
    QOS by far, it's in my top 10... (it's the 10th actualy)
    A View To A Kill is worse than both of them. DAA is just a bit camp with gadgets like all the Brosnans were, and QOS was almost a perfect Bond film.
    I'll go for DAD, QOS was the worst Bond film I have ever seen and one of the most pointless and dissapointing films I have ever seen.
    It were better called Quantum of Bourne, because it only has a portion of Bourne speciality but failed to do anything constructive with it. Bad actionscenes that have been done much better in the RM era. They should have been smarter about the script and director. It is no more than a movie in progress presented as the finished result.
    It has to be QoS, though I understand why some people don't like it, nothing can compair to the excruciatingly bad DAD. The so-called good first half of DAD just doesn't wash with me due to everything being one unenjoyable train wreck from the opening gunbarrel to the closing titles. If there was any justice in the world every copy of DAD would be destroyed except one, then that one surviving print would be placed in a time capsule, buried deep in a mountain somewhere and wouldn't be opened until 3062. Then and only then could DAD possibly be considered a lost classic.
    bondsum wrote:
    It has to be QoS, though I understand why some people don't like it, nothing can compair to the excruciatingly bad DAD. The so-called good first half of DAD just doesn't wash with me due to everything being one unenjoyable train wreck from the opening gunbarrel to the closing titles. If there was any justice in the world every copy of DAD would be destroyed except one, then that one surviving print would be placed in a time capsule, buried deep in a mountain somewhere and wouldn't be opened until 3062. Then and only then could DAD possibly be considered a lost classic.

:)) Not a big fan then?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I remember when someone here called QOS the 'pimple on the ass of Bond films'........... :))
  • We definitely need a kinder and gentler Forum :(
    Virage wrote:
    Virage wrote:

Really I think that's unfair to DAD. The franchise didn't get rebooted becasuse of DAD; it got rebooted because MGM finally got the rights to CR and since it was Bond's first outing they wanted to make him a younger agent,

No it was because the producers felt like they couldn't carry on "down the road" caused by DAD. CHECK YOUR DVD FEATURES.

which i think is perhaps the most stupidest excuse they could have came up with- hello remember Moonraker!!! they went into For Your Eyes Only and gave Roger one of his best bond films? and they couldnt even do the same treatment for Brosnan!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    002 wrote:
    Virage wrote:
    Virage wrote:

which i think is perhaps the most stupidest excuse they could have came up with- hello remember Moonraker!!! they went into For Your Eyes Only and gave Roger one of his best bond films? and they couldnt even do the same treatment for Brosnan!!

if it wasn't for the critical success of the first 2 Bourne films, I can guarantee you Brosnan would have made a 5th.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    if it wasn't for the critical success of the first 2 Bourne films, I can guarantee you Brosnan would have made a 5th.

Thank heavens for Bourne, then. A 5th Brosnan Bond would have taken in alot of money, but it would have turned out as DAD2. In the same way that DAF is an even more excessive YOLT, I can't imagine Bond#21 being anything other than a more excessive version of DAD.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690

Thank heavens for Bourne, then. A 5th Brosnan Bond would have taken in alot of money, but it would have turned out as DAD2. In the same way that DAF is an even more excessive YOLT, I can't imagine Bond#21 being anything other than a more excessive version of DAD.

What about MR-FYEO ? Why couldn't Brosnan's 5th be like Moore's FYEO ?

Do you REALLY think they would have done a DAD2? For crying out loud how much worse could it get after the windsurfing scene.

As Haphazard said a fifth Brosnan film was more likely to be similar to GE. More espionage based but with its fair share of loud action.
    I do not think for one second that if Brosnan had returned, there would be a DAD2... even if DAD did take a lot of money, there's no way they would have topped the film's OTTness. The only way to go, Brosnan or no Brosnan, was a FYEO-type film, or another GE - more fitting for 2005.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That was a diferent EON. The Babs controlled EON doesn't learn from their mistakes. Just look at the Craig films. We still have the same soul crushingly bad dialogue frm the Brosnan films. Not to metion Dench as M.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Do you REALLY think they would have done a DAD2? For crying out loud how much worse could it get after the windsurfing scene.

DAD made them money. I think they would have chased that rabbit as far down the hole as they could go. DAD is an insult , but I it could have gotten worse with a fatter and more gray Brosnan for starters. I don't want to insult the man, but compared to TND/TWINE, Brosnan wasn't in his best shape in DAD.
    I do not think for one second that if Brosnan had returned, there would be a DAD2... even if DAD did take a lot of money, there's no way they would have topped the film's OTTness. The only way to go, Brosnan or no Brosnan, was a FYEO-type film, or another GE - more fitting for 2005.

I'd have to disagree, DC. Had they they not jumped on the reboot bandwagon, I think DAD2 was inevitable.
    I agree @Major - Barbara Broccoli is the worse thing to ever happen to the franchise. Not Brosnan, not Tamahori, but Babs. She is infusing all her PC-comformist, feminist opinions all over the franchise... she wants to rid the franchise of everything that Cubby did - she wants to make the series her own.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189

That was a diferent EON. The Babs controlled EON doesn't learn from their mistakes. Just look at the Craig films. We still have the same soul crushingly bad dialogue frm the Brosnan films. Not to metion Dench as M.

For crying out loud, there's nothing wrong with the presence of Judi Dench. Personally I prefer her pre-Craig but nonetheless she's a serious contender for my favourite M.

Obviously Bernard is the classic M but what makes Dench so memorable is her way with one-liners
    ("perhaps...but the advantage is I don't have to think with them all the time")
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    BAIN123 wrote:

For crying out loud, there's nothing wrong with the presence of Judi Dench. Personally I prefer her pre-Craig but nonetheless she's a serious contender for my favourite M.

Obviously Bernard is the classic M but what makes Dench so memorable is her way with one-liners

For crying out loud, Dench is not the problem - it's now her character is written. Too much psycho-babble, too many in-the-field scenes........
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894
    I agree @Major - Barbara Broccoli is the worse thing to ever happen to the franchise. Not Brosnan, not Tamahori, but Babs. She is infusing all her PC-comformist, feminist opinions all over the franchise... she wants to rid the franchise of everything that Cubby did - she wants to make the series her own.

Thank you DC, my thoughts exactly.
    BAIN123 wrote:

By all means believe that, but I think otherwise. Because she's Judi Dench (the reason EON gave), sould not be the reason she was carried over to the Craig era. She should have been the Brosnan M only and should have been replaced as M. I can think of a number of actors and actresses that should have been the reboot M. Ken Stott and Brenda Blethyn to name one of each.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Lee was damn good, but I prefer Brown. As for the balls line, I know she didn't write that line, but it's an incredibly juvenile line for M to say, very crass. And this is from someone who otherwise loves TND.
    Brown was alrite but he was just very...meh. He didn't really do anything.
    Judi Dench was playing Judi Dench playing M.... too Judi-esque for me. Now what I expect for M.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Dench as M has been written VERY badly in Craig's films, she was better with Brosnan.

I agree with @DC, if it wasn't for Bourne we would've gotten Brosnan 5, which in a way I'm sad we didn't get. It could've been an OHMSS/FYEO back to earth sort of film.

And yeah Babs is the worst thing to happen to the series.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    QoS is just a better film on pretty much every conceivable front. DUD, like all the Brosnan films, is painful and dull to watch. Brosnan is bizarrely low key as Bond. He simply never had the pressence to carry off the part. While not my favourite, Craig is the sort of actor who grabs the role and goes for it. He carries his two films through his sheer energy and on screen charisma. Compare him to Brozza at Carver's party in TND. It still makes me laugh the way he mopes around like a lost kid and is introduced as a banker - all too believable! Whenever he makes an entry I always found myself chuckling at just how unconvincing Broz was. You have to like the guy, but he was soooo bad in that role. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.