What do you consider the most dire moment in a Bond film?

Comments

There's a difference between risqué humour and plain crude.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes it does @bondjames ; very tough to watch in front of my teens...
    I agree that everything after Bond is captured is brilliant. But what do.es before is really not flattering, and on the borderline of unwatchable.
    None of those scenes bother me in the least. It contributes to the mystique of Bond - in a villain's lair in an exotic location isolated with a group of beautiful girls with the suspense of his being discovered. Sure it picks up after his cover is blown, but those scenes prior don't drag anything down. I can count dozens of examples of worse such scenes in other films in the series.
    There is an element to the fact that if you re-wrote the Angels of Death scenes slightly, we'd be in a Carry On film.
  • BT3366 wrote: »
    None of those scenes bother me in the least. It contributes to the mystique of Bond - in a villain's lair in an exotic location isolated with a group of beautiful girls with the suspense of his being discovered. Sure it picks up after his cover is blown, but those scenes prior don't drag anything down. I can count dozens of examples of worse such scenes in other films in the series.

I do really like seeing Bond undercover and the tension that comes from that, I've always said that OHMSS is the only Bond film that I think really captures the tension of being a spy (wish they'd kept the bit in the book though where he pretends not to know the agent who got caught on the mountain and just calmly lights a fag as they drag him off to be executed).

It's just the scenes with the girls. Which you're right is a very James Bond scenario but its poorly executed imo because of the "Hilly" stuff. Baker's dub annoys me and while I get what they were going for (nerdy asexual ponce, everything Bond isn't, the perfect disguise) but it just isn't fun to watch and a lot of those scenes are quite cringeworthy and poorly written. "I don't like girls usually" "call me Hilly". I get that he's undercover but reducing James Bond, the coolest fictional character of all time, to that? They really went overboard imo. Don't remember Bond playing up his disguise so much in the book at all. And I think sleeping with the girls does sort of taint his relationship with Tracy.

You're right that it's cool seeing Bond snooping around undercover, with being caught actually seeming like a dangerous prospect instead of a pointless inevitability (in the other films you're just waiting for the villain to find out who he really is, doesn't help that he goes round using his real name). And even the "Hilly" scenes don't drag the film down because the rest of the film is that good. And I agree that there have been worse moments. But I think those scenss are poorly done and they stand out even more because OHMSS is pretty much a perfect film otherwise.
    BT3366 wrote: »

What tension? They could have made it suspensefull and tense like in the book, but prefer silly gags, poorly written and made. It is embarrasing and not in the least tense for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'll admit the film lags in that section for me. It's all a bit Austin Powers imho (almost psychedelic) and I've never been a fan of the Ruby character.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I'll admit the film lags in that section for me. It's all a bit Austin Powers imho (almost psychedelic) and I've never been a fan of the Ruby character.

I actually like how trippy and psychadelic it all is. Wish they'd played that up a bit more actually. But I agree the general atmosphere is sort of campy and Austin Powers esque.
    jobo wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »

What tension? They could have made it suspensefull and tense like in the book, but prefer silly gags, poorly written and made. It is embarrasing and not in the least tense for me.

I agree with you but I wouldn't be quite as critical. I think there are still some tense moments (the mountain climber getting caught, Bond breaking out of his room and snooping around the corridors). But you're right that the gags are really poor and detract from it.

There are some cool moments from that section of the book they missed out.!I think Bond getting captured is a necessary change, because the whole scene with Blofeld is brilliant (they didn't even interact properly in the book because Bond was never captured when his cover was blown). But on the other hand we did miss out on Bond realising they'll be coming for him, pulling on a balaclava and using his rolex as a makeshift knuckleduster which is probably the most intense and most badass sequence I can remember from the books. Hope we see that in a future film, along with the bit where he has to pretend not to know his contact and lets him get dragged off by the guards as he lights a cigarette.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not much beats that plane fight in DAD.
    Milovy wrote: »

Yeah, a poor scene all round. Not just for Brosnan's poor acting but also kind of Marceau and the melodramatic dialogue.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    soap__large.jpg
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,189
    That "soapy" style of writing seemed to be a hallmark of Brosnan's films in particular. There are some moments in the other films though.

The hotel scene with Q, Lupe and Pam has a very soapy feel as does the scene with Lupe and Bond in the bedroom

"James don't go...I'm scared". Urgh.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 676
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Yeah, a poor scene all round. Not just for Brosnan's poor acting but also kind of Marceau and the melodramatic dialogue.
    And what is with the music?? Man it's bad.

PS. I didn't even add the thunderclaps. Those are actually in the movie.
    I don't like how the thunder keeps rumbling in the background.
  • For me it's TMWTGG from the sumo fight to the boat chase. Just so cheap and poorly done and outright crap imo. Bond grabbing a sumo wrestlers arse with an accompanying sound effect, karate school girls who leave Bond behind for no reason. At least the tsunami surfing sounds fun (very OTT but still fun) on paper. That whole section of TMWTGG is just dire for me. Thank god for TSWLM.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    +1. Bloody awful. I still wince in horror whenever I have the misfortune to view this.

The added music accentuates and personifies how it came across all those years ago in the theatre. A very demoralizing experience I must say.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,984
    That was definitely a soap opera-like moment. Also reminds me that Brosnan gets slapped an awful lot in his movies.

The brainwashing bit in OHMSS was a bit poor in my opinion, and the dubbed Lazenby was definitely jarring.
    For me it's TMWTGG from the sumo fight to the boat chase. Just so cheap and poorly done and outright crap imo. Bond grabbing a sumo wrestlers arse with an accompanying sound effect, karate school girls who leave Bond behind for no reason. At least the tsunami surfing sounds fun (very OTT but still fun) on paper. That whole section of TMWTGG is just dire for me. Thank god for TSWLM.

Agreed. Bond movies have been gone way over the top like in MR or DAD, but never before have they gone off on such stupid tangents for the sake of cheap comedy as here. One of the reasons that TMWTGG is the worst of the Moore films for me. It can barely keep to its main premise with all these distracting tangents. Most of the movie is a complete mess until we get onto the island. Sometimes the mess is fun, but on the whole it's definitely a mess.

I'd also mention Pepper's forced return in TMWTGG, as it ties into that scene with Bond escaping. Some people here like what he contributes to the movie by way of humour but I'm not among them. Same goes for that kid selling the "real elephant" and getting pushed over by Bond. Just too many unnecessary additions for the sake of cheap humour.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 676
    One of the reasons that TMWTGG is the worst of the Moore films for me. It can barely keep to its main premise with all these distracting tangents.
    Which is a real shame, because it has one of the best premises of any Bond story.

Maybe it should have been called The Man with the Solex Agitator instead. More accurate.
    soap__large.jpg

Wow, if you see it that way you must've really hated SF.
    bondjames wrote: »
    +1. Bloody awful. I still wince in horror whenever I have the misfortune to view this.

The added music accentuates and personifies how it came across all those years ago in the theatre. A very demoralizing experience I must say.

I really have to say I don't see anything there to hate.
    Also, I really really wish the screenplay or script of the last two movies had displayed only third as much quality as the TWINE one.
    soap__large.jpg

I can not recall one single scene in Skyfall I find particularly soap opery.
    jobo wrote: »
    soap__large.jpg

I can not recall one single scene in Skyfall I find particularly soap opery.

In this case I'm afraid I'm not able to help you. Sorry, old chap.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

I really have to say I don't see anything there to hate.
    In this case I'm afraid I'm not able to help you. Sorry, old chap.
    Your response to another poster sort of sums up all I can say in response to your comment to me. One either sees & feels it or one doesn't. The fact that someone made a youtube clip mocking it indicates those who don't like it aren't alone. I know there are members here who rate TWINE and Brosnan's performance in it quite highly. I'll never understand that, just like I'm certain there are some who just can't understand why SF is so lauded by many, including myself.
    Also, I really really wish the screenplay or script of the last two movies had displayed only third as much quality as the TWINE one.
    I agree that the script and screenplay were half decent, and as I've said elsewhere there were some interesting ideas in TWINE. I personally believe they failed in the execution. The cast, atmosphere, score, visuals, locations, action sequences, pacing, cinematography, tonal balance and most notably Bond actor performance did absolutely nothing for me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Which is a real shame, because it has one of the best premises of any Bond story.

Maybe it should have been called The Man with the Solex Agitator instead. More accurate.

Yeah, it really could've been so much more.
    Personally I like both SF and TWINE..lucky me.
    I think not. -_-
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There is an element to the fact that if you re-wrote the Angels of Death scenes slightly, we'd be in a Carry On film.

John Barry's music when the girls enter a scene is very similar to the stuff Eric Rogers ( a much under appreciated composer) would write for the Carry on films.
    That "soapy" style of writing seemed to be a hallmark of Brosnan's films in particular. There are some moments in the other films though.

The hotel scene with Q, Lupe and Pam has a very soapy feel as does the scene with Lupe and Bond in the bedroom

"James don't go...I'm scared". Urgh.

LTK is full of am-dram moments. Talisa Soto is awful and Timothy Dalton thinks he's in King Lear. It isn't until you see Robert Davi that you realise what good screen acting is.