A Study in Sherlock (with SPOILERS) - the stories (and celebrating Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Absolutely wonderful, Brady! I love this piece so much. You are definitely pursuing the right field of endeavor. I really enjoy your art. :-bd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Thanks, all. :) I submit all my work on DeviantArt and the piece has gotten 263 views, 50 favorites and nearly two dozen comments on it in just 11 hours. I'm quite elated to see how well it has been received.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just found this very cool (and rare) Paget drawing of Holmes:
    http://www.sh-whoswho.com/photos/2045/2045_2.jpg
    Thanks for sharing! What a great, classic shot. I love the way his hands are so languid, with those long delicate fingers that play the violin so well; and his eyes so sharp. This one gives us a very clear glimpse of Holmes. And you can see the wheels turning. :) This is an insightful illustration; I appreciate you posting it here, Brady.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Growing up in the Paget Family I well remember my father having that self same print on the wall of his study thanks OBrady for posting this.
    Mrcoggins wrote:

Growing up in the Paget Family I well remember my father having that self same print on the wall of his study thanks OBrady for posting this.
    Wow, tell us more @Mrcoggins. That's fascinating!
    edited June 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I'd also really enjoy hearing more about you being part of the Paget family, Mrcoggins. Please tell us anything you feel comfortable sharing. Some of us are such huge Sherlock Holmes fans and Paget's illustrations are immeasurably important, such a part of Holmes's world and had such a great impact. :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'd also really enjoy hearing more about you being part of the Paget family, Mrcoggins. Please tell us anything you feel comfortable sharing. Some of us are such huge Sherlock Holmes fans and Paget's illustrations are immeasurably important, such a part of Holmes's world and had such a great impact. :)

I second that - it sounds fascinating!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    There
    is not that much to tell my late father had the print on the wall and when I was a young boy I was told by him that it was drawn by one of my family who was an artist and that he was responsible for the pictures that went along with the Sherlock Holmes stories sadly for me it would appear that
    Sidney Pagets talent has missed a generation or two as I am no artist one day I should get around to looking further into the family tree but I'm not in that much of a hurry you never know what you might turn up ! We are a bit of an odd bunch it's a large Family with a great deal of branches some of which bore quite a lot of fruit if you get my gist! Back to Sidney he had a brother two actually and the brother that my side comes from was younger than Sidney called I think he was Walter Paget anyway that's about it for now.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 28,694
    And Walter was the one who was originally meant to be commissioned for the Holmes sketches, but the letter sent by The Strand asking him for some drawings went to Sidney's mailbox by accident. Talk about a happy accident.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Really interesting, Mrcoggins! You have to investigate your tree!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Thanks for that interesting information, @Mrcoggins!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but here's the first picture of Ian McKellen as Sherlock in 'Mr. Holmes':

http://www.slashfilm.com/ian-mckellen-as-sherlock-holmes/
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Phenomenal, @Creasy! Thanks so much for sharing it.

BsHYhuiCYAAZY0V.png:large

This film has me so incredibly excited, especially after reading the blurb about the book itself upon which the film is based.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You're quite welcome! So happy to see McKellen still acting after all these years in many different, phenomenal projects, especially this one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Phenomenal, @Creasy! Thanks so much for sharing it.

BsHYhuiCYAAZY0V.png:large

This film has me so incredibly excited, especially after reading the blurb about the book itself upon which the film is based.

Wow, my ticket is booked.
    I do love this photo; thanks.

I think the synopsis of this film was already posted, but anyway here is what I just read from The Telegraph online:

Sir Ian McKellen will to play a 93-year-old Sherlock Holmes, in a new film entitled Mr Holmes.
    The forthcoming project is based on Mitch Cullin’s novel A Slight Trick of the Mind, and is directed by Bill Condon, who last worked with McKellen on the 1998 Oscar-winning film Gods and Monsters.
    In Mr Holmes, the famous detective has retired to live by the sea and must team up with his housekeeper and her young son to solve a crime, all the while facing the slow decline of his once-legendary deductive powers.
    In a press release for the film, McKellen said: "Sherlock Holmes at 93 is retired, still solving mysteries: but here's the sting - he also keeps bees. So many splendid actors have already played the part but none of them had Bill Condon directing. I'm the lucky one: and I'm excited."
    The bee-keeping is a nod to one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s original Sherlock Holmes tales, His Last Bow. In the 1917 story, the sleuth has retired to the Sussex Downs, taken up bee-keeping and completed a treatise entitled: "Practical Handbook of Bee Culture, with some Observations upon the Segregation of the Queen.”

I think perhaps I should order the book. :)
    And now it is... on The Times front page!

the_times.750.jpg
    Holmes on a London bench. 50 books will be on bench during Summer:

sherlock.png

http://www.booksabouttown.org.uk/?action=ViewBench&Id=10
    ggl007 wrote:
    Holmes on a London bench. 50 books will be on bench during Summer:

sherlock.png

http://www.booksabouttown.org.uk/?action=ViewBench&Id=10

Very cool! I managed to find some closer shots of the bench as well, since the site only provides small photos.

Here's the front of the bench:

https://travelbetweenthepages.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/10432987_306817216153605_2563039033052802574_n.jpg

And the back:

http://cciup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/b2becb5eb8a240c68277f4ada0293828.jpg
    ggl007 wrote:

the_times.750.jpg

Mc Kellen is not obese, so I presume he was a headmaster earlier?
    ggl007 wrote:

the_times.750.jpg

Mc Kellen is not obese, so I presume he was a headmaster earlier?
    That is one compromising front page to find an enlarged picture of yourself on, isn't it?
    Maybe he is not obese because he got free surgery? Hope his fascination for little boys passes.
  • RC7RC7
    Maybe he is not obese because he got free surgery? Hope his fascination for little boys passes.

??
    RC7, look at the photo. None of the major headlines allude to Sir Ian at all. Simply other stories ... so just joshing.
    Yes, I had read briefly about that! All the people dressed as Sherlock and squeezed into one room ... you gotta love the creativity of the human race. To raise funds for preserving Conan Doyle's home, so that is a good cause.
    sherlockholmes.gif
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    MAJOR SPOILERS are not blocked out in this post ...

holmesicon.png
    The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton.

As I finish my tea and toast (excellent marmalade today, Mrs. Hudson!), I will endeavor to finish my thoughts about this great Holmes short story, which I have just read again. I so enjoy it. A different kind of evil, this one.
    As a refresher I will re-post my first part. A while ago, I had written this bit about this very good Holmes story:
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    What is so sublime about this particular story? It is different. No blustering adventure, no boat race on the Thames, spectral hounds, or blow darts here. The evil lurks underneath the facade of the whole city. And as @ggl007 pointed out earlier, the mystery is not who the villain is. We know. We go along on this adventure knowing who it is. But how to trap him?! There is the rub. It is not a typical murderer, not a typical criminal of the kind that Holmes usually deals with. I think this Holmes adventure positively reeks with the following: deception, deceit, cunning, evil, mental torture, callousness, the unbending rigidity of society's culture during Victorian times ~ along with surprises and some unusually amusing moments, and yet it is haunting as it builds ...

Like a boa constrictor quietly sneaking up on someone and squeezing, just continually applying pressure to the point where it crushes and kills its victim. The snake does not roar and viciously tear apart its victims like a lion or tiger, it does not call attention to itself. As Holmes himself says to Watson, toward the beginning of this story: "Do you feel a creeping, sinking sensation, Watson, when you stand before the serpents in the Zoo, and see the slithery, gliding, venomous creatures with their deadly eyes and wicked flattened faces? Well, that's how Milverton impresses me. I've had to do with fifty murderers in my career, but the worst of them never gave me the repulsion which I have for this fellow."

So we have at the core of this story a blackmailer. And not just any petty, small time blackmailer. But one who has wielded and nurtured great power over the city, over all kinds of people. He ensnares anyone, even those held in great esteem, those who were considered the cream of society, or those who may seem untouchable by scandal. So calm on the outside, not looking aggressive or alarming in any way. Yet with the coldest heart, keenest mind, and not a shred of decency or empathy. A true slimy evil menace that has been growing and ensnaring people in London and its surroundings for years.

Holmes knows about him, oh yes, this Mr. Charles Augustus Milverton. But he has not been able to do anything yet. Milverton has been so careful, so that things could not be traced back to him. His hands look clean. But they are drenched in the blood and dirt of others' ruined lives. The only other creature that comes to mind that I could compare him to is a tick. A true silent bloodsucker. Or perhaps a leech.

So along this unusual path, goes Holmes - and he takes measures that are certainly a departure for him: becoming engaged to a female servant in Milverton's house, just to get the perfect lay of the entire place, and he also clearly performs a criminal act in this story. All to get at Milverton, to remove some damaging papers, to save his client, and to finally somehow stop Milverton in his tracks.

When reading this story, I was tantalized and interested and felt wrapped in the whole dark atmosphere. It was almost a smothering feeling, when reading about Milverton's exploits. And Holmes surprised me a bit, with the particular kind of role play that he undertook; it also amused me. He surprised me with his daring because it was clearly outside the law this time. I was thrilled, though! And I felt sure that Holmes, with trusty Watson at his side, would win the day as I was already clearly picturing it. But it did not happen like that ... not quite so obvious a finale to this story.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ah yes, how did this story end? Here I was, thinking that Holmes and Watson breaking into Milverton's home meant only one ending. I was wrong.

I fully expected Holmes to crack the safe and get his client's incriminating letter back. I expected some sort of snafu to make it more exciting or dramatic. And indeed, when it became clear that Milverton was not sleeping but about to enter the study, I was eagerly anticipating the coming confrontation between Holmes and Milverton. But Doyle put yet another interesting spin on this tale at this point.

As Holmes and Watson hid quietly, more drama unfolded as yet another person came into the study: a woman. It then seems that this was a prearranged meeting, with Milverton acquiring more damaging information for him to use as blackmail. He thinks he is speaking with someone's maid who has stolen letters from her mistress, a countess. With great seething emotions barely controlled, the woman lifts her veil and shows herself to be one of Milverton's victims. He had destroyed her life by sending her letters to her husband. Her husband had died from shock and a broken heart and this woman who now stood before him was there for only two reasons: revenge and to stop him from hurting anyone else. She says to him, with a ferocious calm and 'a deadly smile on her lips': "You will ruin no more lives as you have ruined mine. You will wring no more hearts as you wrung mine. I will free the world of a poisonous thing. " And she pulls out a revolver and shoots Milverton dead, a mere two feet from him, continuing: "Take that, you hound - and that! - and that! - and that! - and that!" She kills him as Holmes and Watson watch from their hiding place. The depth of emotion that drove her to this act culminates with her next action. She looked intently at his body lying there and quietly ground her heel into his upturned face. The horror of the killing and pity for her we feel at this turn of events, and the sense of utter desperation and determination of this woman, fill this scene with a somber and shocking reality. She then quickly leaves.

So what of our intrepid pair? Holmes and Watson had come to stop Milverton. This was now accomplished - and in a most dramatic and surprising way. This lady had put an end to Milverton's conniving and evil blackmail schemes. But there they were, in Milverton's study, with now lights coming on throughout the house and people roused by the shots. Quick! What should they do?

Holmes swiftly locks the study door and then, instead of merely fleeing, shows continued bravery and determination on his own part by throwing all of the damaging papers from the safe into the fireplace, getting rid of the evidence and so to save other people from being blackmailed by anyone else from these papers. All the while footsteps are coming closer, there comes a pounding on the study door - and finally, Holmes and Watson leave, by the outer door and run as fast as they can across the yard, scaling a six foot wall to escape - with Watson's foot being grabbed from behind by someone as he tumbled over the wall. It was close. They dashed across the heath and ran about two miles before they were sure they had lost their pursuers. What a breathless and unexpected ending to this story!

The tale actually concludes at the breakfast the next morning, with Lestrade showing up and asking Holmes to help solve this murder at Milverton's house. Holmes tactfully declines, saying his sympathies are with the criminals involved with this particular murder, he knew about Milverton's evil ways, and he will not assist Lestrade with this case.

I also want to note that Doyle took pains to justify or explain further one key thing: Holmes did not attempt to stop the woman. Here is how Doyle put it (edited by me a bit), with Watson explaining:
    No interference on our part could have saved the man from his fate, but ... I was about to spring out when I felt Holmes' cold, strong grasp upon my wrist. I understood the whole argument of that firm, restraining grip - that it was no affair of ours, that justice had overtaken a villain, that we had our own duties and our own objects, which were not to be lost sight of.

Fans of the BBC series will note some big differences as to how this story was portrayed on that show. I love Sherlock, the tv show. I love the original Doyle stories. I hope you can also enjoy both. The Holmes stories are memorable, very well written, and not always - as demonstrated with this particular story - what you think it will turn out to be, and not always about bizarre or fantastical kinds of murders.

Holmes – Smart, determined, and creative in this one. No need to be exceedingly clever in figuring out the villian. But he did need to find a way to get into Milverton's house. Who would have guessed he would woo the maid? Holmes engaged? How truly against character!
    Watson – Loyal and brave, Watson tells Homes sincerely that he will not allow Holmes to commit this criminal act (breaking into Milverton's home) without him. He assists Holmes ably throughout and actually admits his thrill in doing so. He felt the cause was just.
    Villain – An evil, slimy blackmailer. Not someone physically abusive or who has directly killed anyone else. He destroyed lives and operated a huge network. One of those deceptively mild looking types who hid their true nature well in public. Evil, yes. Not typical of Holmes' enemies or villains, no.
    Supporting characters – Surprisingly, I'd say there pretty much are none! Oh there are two other players who play helpful roles: the maid Holmes becomes engaged to certainly plays a key role, enabling Holmes to learn the lay of the house and property, yet we don't really read about her in detail at all. And then there is the lady who kills Milverton. But this is mainly the story of just Holmes and Watson working together. Lestrade only pops by at the very end. The only other supporting character is the villain.
    Atmosphere – The "normal" environment here is rather placid and deceptive. We simply have Baker Street, London, and Milverton's house and surroundings. The ordinary atmosphere contrasts nicely with the evil seeping from Milverton.
    Suspense – A slow moving, intriguing kind of suspense that ratchets up when Holmes and Watson enter Milverton's home and then escape. Brief yet intense.
    Violence – Unusually, it is lacking completely until Milverton's demise.
    Humour – A small bit of humor. First in picturing Holmes engaged, but then also at the end when Holmes mentions to Lestrade (after Lestrade comments on the two people who were pursued leaving Milverton's house the night of the murder) that Lestrade's description of one of the fleeing men could fit Watson - hahaha! Which Lestrades enjoys laughing at. One of those quiet moments of humor that only Holmes, Watson, and the reader enjoy.
    Cleverness – Not taxing Holmes' mental efforts hugely, no - but he was clever in his willingness to go an entirely different route (romance! engagement!) to enable him to learn all about Milverton, his comings and goings, and the layout of his house.
    Case – A case of breaking the law to serve justice and help others. Not the standard fare for Holmes and Watson. Not a huge action adventure. But a very good story that makes the reader ponder their own ethics, too.
    Doyle – Good show. :) He weaves a very convincing portrait of a blackmailer and has us emotionally involved from start to finish.
    Final verdict – I enjoy this story very much. It brings a fresh twist to Holmes and showcases the loyalty and ethics of these two friends and comrades. Pitting Holmes against a blackmailer also showed the variety of evil in this world.

I shall conclude by saying I hope you pick up a copy of this story soon and enjoy it for yourself! Off now for a bit of violin playing ~

Cheers!
    holmes-jouant-violon-noir-base.jpg

Great review! Congratulations!
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks very much, @ggl007. :) Glad you enjoyed it.
    It took me forever to finish, but I'm happy to get it done.
    I do love the original Conan Doyle Holmes stories. And CAM is such a great read.

We shall continue on this thread, slowly at times, quicker at other times, with our look at the original stories. It is a continuing feast for true Holmesian fans.

Come and join us here, ladies and gentlemen, for a nice chat, along with a fresh pot of tea and perhaps a pipe or two.
    th?id=HN.608037317744986304&pid=15.1&P=0

4EverBakerStreet