A Study in Sherlock (with SPOILERS) - the stories (and celebrating Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ah, the Speckled Band! Brady, you do excellent work. :)
    You capture the spirit of the Paget drawing and the story. Very nice!
    I hope you continue with these.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Ah, the Speckled Band! Brady, you do excellent work. :)
    You capture the spirit of the Paget drawing and the story. Very nice!
    I hope you continue with these.
    I agree. Congrats again!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Very nice work once again @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thank you very much, all. The support means the world, and I will definitely be doing more. :)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Update on Preston/Child's White Fire Pendergast novel.

Not exactly a spoiler. You knew it was coming. Pendergast does track down the missing unpublished Holmes story.
    And Preston Child include it in their book in its entirety. All 30 plus pages. A long lost Conan Doyle story included right in the middle of the book.
    The game is indeed afoot.
    I include this info here as this particular Pendergast novel, would be of interest to Holmes buffs.
    I'm not drawing attention to the Pendergast series so much, but more to the big Conan Doyle tribute that this particular book is.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well, that is interesting! They put an entire 30 pg Holmes story in their book - that's unique! I like it. I do appreciate you letting us know on this thread, @timmer. Thanks! I will be ordering this one. And thanks for not saying what the "newly discovered" Holmes story is about. I want to be surprised about that.

I'm also looking forward to Sandy's thoughts on The Beekeeper's Apprentice, the first novel in the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King. Something about Mary ...
    This series finds Holmes a wife.
    And that's all I'll say about that at this point. ;)
    Posting this here, and it is not really new - this article is January of this year. But I like what it says about copyright of the character; therefore relevant to this thread.

So in the U.S., it has been ruled that Sherlock himself is in the public domain, yet some of his stories are not. Plus, I like reading about what Sherlock and John and called in China (yes, they re-named them! Well, at least given them nicknames - Referring I guess to Benedict's hair and Martin's height compared to him ...) ;))

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-19/sherlock-to-take-over-the-world-after-us-court-rules-on-copyright

And here is a brief note of that on NPR's website, mentioning that the last 10 stories are still protected:
    sherlocks-expiring-copyright-its-public-domain-dear-watson[img][/img]
    In an article in The Guardian (Sept 2013), it gives some specifics about copyright laws:
    Conan Doyle wrote four novels and 56 short stories featuring Holmes. The adventures began with the novel A Study in Scarlet in 1887, and ended with the story collection at the heart of the case, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes, in 1927.

In the US, all works published before 1923 are in the public domain, and those published afterwards are protected by copyright for a maximum of 95 years after the death of the author.
    In the UK, copyright runs for the life of the author plus 70 years, meaning that all works written by Conan Doyle, who died in 1930, have been out of copyright for more than a decade.
    Interesting links @4EverBonded. I think the stories that remain copyrighted are those from The Casebook, since they're the only ones not available at Project Gutenberg.

On a side note, as I've mentioned before I caught a few episodes of Elementary on a veeeery long flight between the USA and Europe last year and I really disliked it but, alas, curiosity got the best out of me. Today I finally got around to watching the first episode of the series and, as usual, my first impression is always right. I think this series might have an appeal (especially) for those who are unfamiliar with the canon but for me it is a criminal series with characters named Holmes, Watson, Gregson, ... There is one very important thing that explains the never-ending appeal of the Sherlock Holmes stories: they are stories about a detective, not detective stories. Just like James Bond films/books endure not because they are espionage stories, but because they are stories about a spy! Elementary is a detective show and that, my dear partners in Holmes, is its biggest flaw. They got the characters so amazingly wrong! I like Johny Lee Miller, I really do, and let it be clear it's not his fault at all. Whoever wrote that simply didn't understand the characters, that's all. (By the way, did any of you know Lee Miller is Bernard Lee's grandson?)
    I'm going to try and watch the rest of the episodes and, who knows, it might get better. Johny Lee Miller deserved so much better :(
    I applaud your tenacity in seeing thru that other series, Elementary. I have not started it yet, but I probably will out of sheer love for Holmes and my appetite for (nearly) all things Holmes.

Yes, the copyright is regarding the Casebook stories. The Doyle Estate wanted to retain control. I suppose that is natural. The argument for Sherlock and Watson and Mrs. Hudson, the main characters, being in the public domain entirely seems to be (from what I read this morning) because those characters were firmly established in the earlier stories and did not substantially change during the last 10 stories.
    Sandy wrote:
    (By the way, did any of you know Lee Miller is Bernard Lee's grandson?)

No.That is real interesting. That is great Bond trivia.
    Lee Miller's props as an actor are greatly enhanced in my view. Thats almost as good as being related to Sean Connery.... btw,have I mentioned recently, as I am want to do occasionally ;) that my maternal grandfather's name was Connery, and right off the boat from Ireland too.
    I am sure Sean and I must have common relatives in Ireland or Scotland.
    Until proven otherwise, I steadfastly maintain that Sean and I are blood. Must get him to the family picnic some year.

Re Elementary, yes that show is uber lame. I watch it occasionally. It comes across as just another American detective series.
    Indeed, Timmer - I wonder how the Doyle estate members feel about Elementary! I think we can guess ... #-o
    timmer wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    (By the way, did any of you know Lee Miller is Bernard Lee's grandson?)

No.That is real interesting. That is great Bond trivia.
    Lee Miller's props as an actor are greatly enhanced in my view. Thats almost as good as being related to Sean Connery.... btw,have I mentioned recently, as I am want to do occasionally ;) that my maternal grandfather's name was Connery, and right off the boat from Ireland too.
    I am sure Sean and I must have common relatives in Ireland or Scotland.
    Until proven otherwise, I steadfastly maintain that Sean and I are blood. Must get him to the family picnic some year.

Re Elementary, yes that show is uber lame. I watch it occasionally. It comes across as just another American detective series.

Who knows, you might Connery's cousin ;)
    I think the face resemblance between Bernard Lee and his grandson is very obvious. I wish Elementary wasn't so lame (you used the perfect work), I really do.
    Yes the Lee family resemblance is definitely there.
    As for Sean, I like to refer to him as Uncle Sean, even if my mother say no such person exists in her family. Terrible the way families get separated. Sigh.
    Completely off topic I know, but in 20 years I want to see Jonny Lee Miller as M:

Actor_Bernard_Lee.jpg
    jonnyleemiller-abcupfront.jpg
    Ah, that would be cool! Look at his nose and mouth. Definitely related. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That looks quite Holmesian, actually, though much like Doyle's remarks about Paget's interpretation, he's probably a bit too handsome. ;)

sherlockholmes.gif
    Attention, Holmesian fans!
    The game (our game) is once again afoot ~

We shall soon be turning our attention to another great Sherlock Holmes adventure. Therefore, today we are happy to entice you with two clues. Please put on your deerstalkers, smoke a pipe or two if necessary, and give us your best guess as to the title of the story yours truly, the Bakerstreet Bibliophiles, will tackle soon:

Clue #1) Veil

Clue #2) Glasses

Yes, that is all for now. But we know, Dear Intrepid Readers, that you will find a way to make some good guesses.

Hark! Is that the ring of the bell?
    Show our callers in, Mrs. Hudson, and let the guessing begin!

Well, well my dear @4EverBonded, here we meet again. I wonder who will be able to deduce the adventure that awaits us. The game is afoot my friends!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    It's one of the short stories I fancy the V.....L...... .? Perhaps .
    Ah, I think I can guess what you are guessing - but you can come right out and say it, Mrcoggins. :) I think you mean the Veiled lady. Alas, that would not be correct, though. But I am happy you made a guess! Please have another go. :)
    So, nobody is willing to deduce (never guess) the next story to be analysed by the Baker Street Bibliophiles? I can only say that it is a famous one.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    While waiting for the hansom cab (tickets for the concert in my pocket, Watson!), I wanted to point out that Moriarty is clearly at work on this thread.
    I say this because I easily deduce the following:

~ I know that lurking out there are several members who love their Sherlock Holmes from the original canon by Doyle.

~ I know some of them read our thread from time to time and have tried their hand at naming our upcoming stories before.

~ I am willing to bet most of them can deduce the story we will review next with only the 2 clues given (though a 3rd clue will be posted in a day or two!)

~ I am sure that those folks who have read this one found it to be quite an exciting and memorable story.

Alas, I must dash!

When I return - in the wee dark hours shrouded in fog, the gas lamps dimly showing us the way home - I trust it will be to a nice tumbler of sherry, a good pipe or two, a crackling fire, and someone who has sallied forth to try to name the next Holmes story we shall tackle.

Cheers! holmesicon.png
    Ah, yes indeed, Mrs. Hudson!

Mrs. Hudson has just reminded me that a third clue is to be given, so give it I shall:

Along with: Clue #1) Veil

and Clue #2) Glasses

We also now state Clue #3) Safe

That surely is a wee bit more helpful than a dog not barking in the night (which curious incident, by the way, is not related to our story this time round ...).
    sherlockholmes.gif

Do put your Deerstalker on, puff away on your pipe if necessary, and give us your idea of what Holmes story we shall be reviewing next.

Cheers!
    Might I add something my dear @4EverBonded? I would suggest those of you willing to spare a moment to think about this puzzle to keep in mind that the story we are reviewing next is very, how shall I say this, up to date /:)
    Yes, of current interest, if I may be so bold.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    OK.

Let's try a shot in the not-so-dark.

Charles Augustus Milverton?

(Lots of glasses and veils in the canon by the way...)
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,012
    ggl007 wrote:
    OK.

Let's try a shot in the not-so-dark.

Charles Augustus Milverton?

(Lots of glasses and veils in the canon by the way...)

I agree with you, but I can only think of one story where glasses, a veil, and a safe play big roles and you are indeed correct.
    Congratulations, my dear @ggl007 sherlock-1.gif

One of the distinctive features of Milverton are his gold-rimmed glasses, something that was kept in the BBC Sherlock adaptation.

The veil is a nod to
    the woman who kills him.

The safe is where Milverton's secrets are stored.