Brian De Palma Appreciation Thread

edited March 13 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,269
I did not see a thread dedicated to Brian De Palma and his films, so I am going to make one here! I made a similar Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread a long time ago. While Kubrick is still probably my #1 director, Brian De Palma has become one of my new favorites over the last few months, as I took the journey to dive into his entire, massive filmography. I will post a detailed ranking of all 30 films here later on, but for reference, I will list all of his movies in chronological order right here:

Murder a la Mod (1968)
Greetings (1968)
The Wedding Party (1969)
Hi, Mom! (1970)
Dionysus in '69 (1970)
Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972)
Sisters (1972)
Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
Obsession (1976)
Carrie (1976)
The Fury (1978)
Home Movies (1979)
Dressed to Kill (1980)
Blow Out (1981)
Scarface (1983)
Body Double (1984)
Wise Guys (1986)
The Untouchables (1987)
Casualties of War (1989)
The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)
Raising Cain (1992)
Carlito’s Way (1993)
Mission: Impossible (1996)
Snake Eyes (1998)
Mission to Mars (2000)
Femme Fatale (2002)
The Black Dahlia (2006)
Redacted (2007)
Passion (2012)
Domino (2019)

There you have it! It’s one of the largest filmographies that I have fully explored, and it was very satisfying despite some lows to go with the highs. Feel free to post all thoughts here about Brian De Palma the man and his films! I look forward to sharing my own detailed ranking of his work!

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 12 Posts: 23,369
    Sisters (1972)
    Obsession (1976)
    Dressed to Kill (1980)
    Scarface (1983)
    Body Double (1984)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Raising Cain (1992)
    Carlito’s Way (1993)
    Snake Eyes (1998)
    Mission to Mars (2000)
    Femme Fatale (2002)
    The Black Dahlia (2006)
    Passion (2012)

These are the films I currently own, I am huge fan of De Palma I have watched many of the films of his I don't own. The ones I have bought are pretty much my favorites, I did watch Hi, Mom! a few weeks ago, I respect the experimental technical aspects though found it a tough watch.

Casualties of War (1989) I need to buy asap its been decades since I watched it.
    I saw MURDER A LA MOD again recently. That movie is so much fun and should be better known.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I saw MURDER A LA MOD again recently. That movie is so much fun and should be better known.

I have never seen this film, I really should make the effort I have recently rewatched Nolan's early films I should show the same courtesy to De Palma.
    Sisters (1972)
    Obsession (1976)
    Dressed to Kill (1980)
    Scarface (1983)
    Body Double (1984)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Raising Cain (1992)
    Carlito’s Way (1993)
    Snake Eyes (1998)
    Mission to Mars (2000)
    Femme Fatale (2002)
    The Black Dahlia (2006)
    Passion (2012)

These are the films I currently own, I am huge fan of De Palma I have watched many of the films of his I don't own. The ones I have bought are pretty much my favorites, I did watch Hi, Mom! a few weeks ago, I respect the experimental technical aspects though found it a tough watch.

Casualties of War (1989) I need to buy asap its been decades since I watched it.

You should get 'Blow Out' too, its one of De Palmas most underrated, and one of his best.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 14 Posts: 17,808
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Sisters (1972)
    Obsession (1976)
    Dressed to Kill (1980)
    Scarface (1983)
    Body Double (1984)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Raising Cain (1992)
    Carlito’s Way (1993)
    Snake Eyes (1998)
    Mission to Mars (2000)
    Femme Fatale (2002)
    The Black Dahlia (2006)
    Passion (2012)

You should get 'Blow Out' too, its one of De Palmas most underrated, and one of his best.

Blow Out is good, I am not a fan of Travolta so don't rush to buy anything he is in, saying that I do own Pulp fiction.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It is a shame De Palma did not get the opportunity to film a Columbo TV movie, circumstances may have gone against him though that era of Columbo was extremely high quality, there is not one episode I would drop from S3 or S4.
    Sisters (1972)
    Obsession (1976)
    Dressed to Kill (1980)
    Scarface (1983)
    Body Double (1984)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Raising Cain (1992)
    Carlito’s Way (1993)
    Snake Eyes (1998)
    Mission to Mars (2000)
    Femme Fatale (2002)
    The Black Dahlia (2006)
    Passion (2012)

Blow Out is good, I am not a fan of Travolta so don't rush to buy anything he is in, saying that I do own Pulp fiction.

I get that about Travolta, but he is very good in this!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don’t know what it is about Travolta (who was very good in Blow Out); I think he’s intuitively a very talented actor, but I think he’s one of the laziest.

It’s like he hits the top of the food chain back in the 70s and early 80s then kind of happily slinks back down the ladder with little-to-no fight (poorly chosen roles for easy money).

Then he’s pulled out of the graveyard of fallen actors and has one of the biggest resurrections of a career, birthed by the wunderkind, QT, and shortly thereafter, he chooses the path of least resistance again and coasts through terrible films, while he hams it up in a new toupee.

Wasted talent IMO.
    Thanks to everyone who has dropped in so far! Hopefully the thread can continue to pick up more steam soon, as I'd love to read more and more thoughts about De Palma and his work. As promised, I'll begin my personal, detailed ranking of his movies after having seen them all over the past half-year or so. I'll go from worst to best and break it up into two parts. Here we go:

30. Domino (2019)

Yes, De Palma's most recent film is the one I liked least of all. None of the characters interested me, the story was a total mess and included unresolved details at the end, and for the year it came out it feels very out of touch. For a film branded as a crime thriller / action flick, I felt very little excitement, and mostly just found myself looking forward to getting to the end of it. I can see why De Palma himself was disappointed with Domino; nothing much seems to work, with almost any given element being just serviceable at best, and offensive at worst, intentionally or otherwise. Guy Pearce at least seemed to have a little fun and was the one good memorable aspect of the movie.

29. Mission to Mars (2000)

De Palma's one overtly sci-fi / "space" film was a massive dud for me, unfortunately. Like Domino, I find myself having already forgotten most of it, as it failed to engage me for most of the runtime. De Palma and the genre just seem to not mesh together very well, and there are countless better space expedition movies out there to check out. I don't plan on revisiting this one.

28. Dionysus in '69 (1970)

This "movie" is an odd one out in the sense it is just recorded footage of a stage play. I don't really have much to say except I was not into it, and I've always struggled to get into "movies" of stage plays or similar events. It didn't annoy me the way Domino and Mission to Mars did, hence its higher ranking, but I still didn't get much out of it personally.

27. Murder a la Mod (1968)

While I would still consider De Palma's first film one of his worst, it's something of a neat little teaser of things to come from him later. I found it hard to follow and some of the acting and writing to be a bit iffy, but it's got a couple nice moments like the studio and cemetery skirmishes. As a complete package, Murder a la Mod is rough, but I can appreciate some of its experimental aspects. For better and worse, it's De Palma at his rawest!

26. Greetings (1968)

De Palma's second movie was the first of his several farcical comedies, and it's worth mentioning the first credited acting job of Robert De Niro! I can't say I was a big fan of this one; the style isn't really my cup of tea, and although some of the jokes land and the satire can be good, a lot of it just doesn't work for me. For some with a specific taste, I could see how this might be more appealing, but as it is it's just "okayish" for my money.

25. Hi, Mom! (1970)

Stylistically, this one's just like Greetings, though I did find the story(s), humor, and satire to be a little better here. I guess technically it's a sequel to Greetings of sorts, given De Niro is supposed to be playing the same guy. In any case, Hi, Mom! is a small step up from Greetings, but still generally not my favorite kind of thing.

24. The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)

Honestly, The Bonfire of the Vanities is lucky to rank this high on my list, and a part of me questions if it should be more like the third-worst overall. At its worst, it certainly is very bad, featuring a cast that largely does not work, way too much unfunny comedy, and a pace that just never feels all that exciting. It's easily one of the least De Palma-y De Palma movies, and I absolutely never would have guessed he directed it if his name was not on it. The reason why I have this ranked above the last few is because it did still feature several individual scenes I liked a lot, most notably Tom Hanks's character having a mental breakdown and shooting up his house to drive out uninvited guests. Basically, it's a film that has its moments, and can entertain here and there, but it definitely falls flat in most regards.

23. The Fury (1978)

The Fury ended up being one of the most disappointing De Palma films for me. After an intriguing and engaging opening sequence, the movie keeps losing me more and more as it goes along. The acting + characters are mostly good, as is the score by John Williams, but the story and the themes never really come together for me. Much of it came off as surprisingly dull, and I definitely got the vibe of wasted potential in many areas. My favorite part was following Amy Irving's character Gillian, especially as she seems to finally be having a good time fitting in with a new home. Several cool moments are in the movie too, most of all the opening and ending, but as a collective whole, I have to lean negatively I'm afraid.

22. Home Movies (1979)

Of the two De Palma films featuring the great Kirk Douglas, I'm giving Home Movies a slight edge over The Fury. Home Movies is a lot like Greetings and Hi, Mom!, featuring some wacky comedy and far-out characters, but still feels a little more natural and relatable to me. Keith Gordon as Denis Byrd was a nice, meek protagonist, while Nancy Allen has a very good, surprising turn as Kristina. A lot of the film's execution is still awkward and strange (in a not always good way), but it's got several decent scenes and ideas in it.

21. The Black Dahlia (2006)

Like The Fury, The Black Dahlia felt like wasted potential to me. While the settings and atmosphere are top notch, the acting and story are all over the place, ranging from interesting and gripping to utterly confusing and unbelievable. The good news is that I was mostly engaged with the picture from beginning to end, and I think De Palma does an excellent job capturing the noir vibes - as good as anyone at it, really. With some polishing, this could have jumped up from a mixed bag all the way to a great film.

20. Redacted (2007)

This dark, inspired by a true story film is a companion piece to De Palma's Casualties of War, a superior picture I will get to later. Redacted is anything but an easy watch, thanks to both its upsetting content and questionably used documentary style of filmmaking. I think the movie tells an important story and gets across its message effectively, but it lacks elements to make it stand out as a particularly great film. I respect the seriousness and effort put into it, but I fail to think of many ways it stylistically excels as a movie.

19. The Wedding Party (1969)

Of the farcically comedic De Palma films, The Wedding Party was one of my favorites. While still uneven and sometimes a bit draggy and unfunny, I did find the premise and comedy still far more effective than it was in Greetings or Hi, Mom!, for instance. The ending is particularly amusing, though I don't want to spoil the details for anyone who might want to check it out. The Wedding Party is rough around the edges, but it did amuse me and used the topic of relationships and marriage effectively for satire.

18. Snake Eyes (1998)

Snake Eyes is a real mixed bag of a movie. On one hand, you've got Nicholas Cage turning in a lovely performance as a morally at-war detective, along with several other solid cast members like Gary Sinise, but on the other you've got a story that's questionably paced and a less than satisfying conclusion. I really wanted to like Snake Eyes more, especially considering the talents of Cage and De Palma getting paired together, but the movie left me feeling like it could have and should have been so much better. It's just okay overall.

17. Wise Guys (1986)

This one's quite an oddball of a dark comedy / crime movie. I think a lot of it was genuinely very funny, especially Lou Albano as "Frankie the Fixer," but the main issue is that the film feels very tonally confused, with some genuinely upsetting moments like the protagonists being brutally tortured, pitted against each other, and one nearly even committing suicide near the end, but then wacky silliness in super close proximity with all that. Danny DeVito does his usual good work, and his partner in crime in Joe Piscopo's character is also good. I think with some reworking, this could have been a collectively solid comedy, but it's a bit sloppy and awkward. Still, it's got plenty of enjoyable moments and a satisfying ending.

16. Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972)

Wrapping up Part 1 of my De Palma ranking is Get to Know Your Rabbit, which is, in my opinion, the best of De Palma's early comedic works. Sure, not every joke works and some of the plotting is awkward, but I genuinely had a good time with the movie overall. John Astin as Paul Turnbull had a particularly fun rags to riches arc to watch, and Orson Welles's brief time on the screen was entertaining, especially a very funny final joke in his last scene. Katharine Ross was very loveable as well! I'd go as far as to say Get to Know Your Rabbit is a bit of an underrated gem, and definitely worth checking out to those who might be interested in strange comedies involving magic and the corporate world.

And there you have it - Part 1 of my De Palma rankings! While this half mostly featured the films I'm more negative or mixed about, the next part will mostly be very positive, so I'm looking forward even more to talking about the next 15 films!
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited March 15 Posts: 735
    Sisters (1972)
    Obsession (1976)
    Dressed to Kill (1980)
    Scarface (1983)
    Body Double (1984)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Raising Cain (1992)
    Carlito’s Way (1993)
    Snake Eyes (1998)
    Mission to Mars (2000)
    Femme Fatale (2002)
    The Black Dahlia (2006)
    Passion (2012)

I get that about Travolta, but he is very good in this!

I second that! One of DePalma's best!

My earliest DePalma memory, sort of, was as a kid seeing Phantom of the Paradise as the first half of a double feature in Barstow, Calif., in the summer of '76, alongside The Beatles' Help!

Carrie was a really big deal that year, and it scared the hell out me when I caught up with it on TV ....
    I don't like Travolta as a person, but when cast in the right role, he is a brilliant actor. He is excellent in both Blow Out and Pulp Fiction.
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    My favorite director. I haven't seen all of his films in the lower half of his filmography that is, but I mostly agree with your takes here, of which I have seen:
    Mission to Mars
    Hi, Mom!
    The Bonfire of the Vanities
    The Black Dahlia
    Redacted
    Snake Eyes

I might like The Black Dahlia slightly more than you, but I agree it is wasted potantial. I think Snake Eyes is fascinating actually. The movie nose-dives in the second half, but the first half is so outstanding that I really admire it anyway, from Cage's energetic performance, insane one-takes, crazy shots, split screen, Rashomon set-up. It's just a blast. When I see stuff like that I cannot help but think it is a pity that there aren't more directors that make movies that way. It is as if De Palma's film tool-box is 5 times as big as every other directors'.
    Mainly I am happy though that most of my favorites are kept for part 2, including some of his more underrated works from later in his career.
    Snake Eyes is a favorite of mine despite it running out of steam in the third act, the build in the first two acts and technical aspects of De Palma's film making are excellent IMO.
    @Vinther1991 Thank you, I appreciate you reading! I will finish up the ranking now!

15. Raising Cain (1992)

The better half of my list begins with Raising Cain, a Hitchcockian thriller that proves to be De Palma's stylistic specialty most times. The biggest strength of this one is John Lithgow, giving 200% as the character(s) he plays; he excels at being timid, assertive, caring, and malicious all at once. Pino Donaggio provides his usual reliable score. Collectively, I wasn't blown away by the film, as I simply feel De Palma has done this kind of movie better many times over, though I have a hard time pinpointing precisely why this one ranks a bit lower for me. It could just be that I wasn't as invested in the other characters beyond Lithgow(s). This one's definitely worth a watch, though!

14. Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

I expect to receive some blowback for ranking Phantom of the Paradise four spots below the Top 10, as I know it's one of De Palma's most beloved and unique works. I certainly respect and enjoy it as his sole musical feature, and I find that Will Finley, Paul Williams, and Jessica Harper are all top-notch in their leading roles. Some of the pacing and ideas didn't fully gel for me, but from this point on as with Raising Cain the complaints are going to be minimal. The movie is very colorful and often very funny, and it certainly comes recommended.

13. Passion (2012)

In my eyes, Passion has a case to made as Brian De Palma's most underrated movie. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it, considering the poor reviews which I suspect come more as a result of a collective rejection of "modern De Palma" than anything else. The biggest thing I have to say is that I thought Noomi Rapace's performance is absolutely fantastic - one of the best characters and performances in any De Palma film, I'd argue. She really perfectly executes a 3D character, and I really felt all her highs and lows in the picture. Every other actor does a fine job as well, but this really was Noomi's movie to me and she shines brightly. The movie's story, progression, music, eroticism, and darkness all bring out the best in De Palma. The only issue I have is the third act can be a bit unnecessarily befuddling, but this is a movie I can confidently call an underrated one, and I'm hopeful it will elevate to cult status someday.

12. Femme Fatale (2002)

This one's basically tied with Passion for me; they're similar De Palma features with the classic vibes and tropes you come to expect. Though Rebecca Romijn is very good in the lead, I thought Antonio Banderas stole the show and gave a wonderful, varied performance that was consistently fun to watch. The opening sequence is rightfully beloved, and everything to come afterwards is an intriguing story marked by mystery, sex, and violence, De Palma-style. The third act / resolution, like Passion, doesn't go 100% smoothly, but again I have little problems and view both as fully certified De Palma gems.

11. Body Double (1984)

I feel bad this popular De Palma classic fell just short of the Top 10, but as with any set of films from anyone I enjoy a lot, it's mostly just a matter of what you enjoy more at this point! It's got one of my favorites scores from Pino Donaggio, and really good acting jobs across the board. The story, action, and twistiness is all vintage thriller goodness, with the sleaze factor cranked to 1,000. If I have any main issue with it, it's that it's maybe a little too Hitchcockian; while I normally love the homages and inspiration De Palma uses from Hitchcock, this one was pretty damn on the nose! It's a really enjoyable movie though, and maybe objectively the most "De-Palma-y" De Palma movie there's ever been.

10. Obsession (1976)

Finally breaking into the Top 10, we have Obsession, a movie I'd argue is one of De Palma's most overlooked. The Bernard Herrmann soundtrack is predictably terrific, and personally I felt like this was one of the best jobs De Palma did at capturing the Hitchcock vibes while still not feeling too exact. The plot is very captivating to me and features one of my personal favorite twists at the end, which blindsided and disturbed me in the best way possible! Geneviève Bujold and John Lithgow are brilliant standouts in the cast, and though his performance as the lead is a bit uneven, I thought Cliff Robertson still did a fine job overall; his stiffness has been critiqued, and I think it does hurt a few scenes but also helps many others to show the emotional trauma his character's been through. A really entertaining movie for my money, and one of my favorite endings to a De Palma picture.

9. Sisters (1972)

Sisters really is the movie where De Palma came into his own. He had experimented with Hitchcockian style before in Murder a la Mod and tried his hand at comedies, but it's Sisters where his trademark vision of sex, violence, and mystery all came together in one neat, enthralling package. Margot Kidder, Jennifer Salt, and Will Finley really knock it out of the park in their roles, and again Herrmann brings the juice in the music department; it really is a shame he passed before he and De Palma could work together more. The thrills come both physically and psychologically, and I never lose interest in the story. A must-see movie.

8. Mission: Impossible (1996)

One of many jewels in De Palma's directorial crown is getting to direct the start to what would become one of the most commercially successful and beloved film franchises with Mission: Impossible. I have to say, it was really fun and refreshing to revisit the original film, which is so much quainter and more classical feeling than the action-driven spectacles that followed. I'm not saying this movie's inherently better than every single one of its entertaining sequels for being more low-key, but I certainly think it effectively gives this one its own identity and makes it a nice, distinctive watch. Sure, the story's a little confusing, but you've got an exciting Danny Elfman soundtrack, Tom Cruise doing his usual vibrant work in the lead, wonderful set pieces highlighted by the immortal CIA break-in, and a stacked cast beyond Cruise, including one of my personal favorites in Jean Reno. I'm not sure where I'd rank the film among all the other Mission: Impossible entries, but I know it'd at least beat the first two sequels for me!

7. Casualties of War (1989)

Casualties of War is, for me, a lot of different things. It's one of De Palma's most unique films, it's an incredibly gut-wrenching story based on a true tragedy, it's extremely well-acted, and it's definitely one of the best films made about Vietnam. Themes of brutality, corruption, peer pressure, sadism, fear, guilt, and wanting to do the right thing are all on stark display here. A beautiful score from Ennio Morricone, too. I don't really have much else to say about this one except I highly recommend it as an important film to watch for anyone who can handle it, and it might objectively be De Palma's finest work.

6. Carlito's Way (1993)

Like Casualties of War, Carlito's Way is ultimately a tragic story, but it's got a lot more of a focus on entertaining the audience, so it's definitely an easier viewing. A very stacked and wonderful cast once again are present, with Al Pacino and Sean Penn bringing their A-games beginning to end. It's just a very well-done crime film and compelling story about a man wanting to change for the better, but being sucked back into the dark world he once came from. It's considered a classic today for good reason; all the elements of a great film are firmly in place and are executed splendidly!

5. Dressed to Kill (1980)

Here we go, the Top 5, starting off with one of De Palma's most successful Hitchcockian-styled pictures, I believe. Dressed to Kill has the gripping hallmarks of Hitchcock - the mystery, the psychological aspects, the murder, the sexuality - but ratcheted up in the latter two departments, of course, as is the De Palma way. Michael Caine is a delight in his role, and I really wished he had gotten to work with De Palma at least one more time. I think this is also my personal favorite Nancy Allen performance that I've seen; she's thoroughly convincing in her antihero role here. Angie Dickinson and Keith Gordon bring their best as well. Donaggio's music is as good as ever, the thrills and stakes are as high as ever, and the direction is airtight. Dressed to Kill was an immediate favorite for me upon watching, and I believe its popularity is well-warranted.

4. Blow Out (1981)

Another one of De Palma's most beloved movies, Blow Out, I believe is fully deserving of its praises. Injecting a political angle into the mix, De Palma delivers an engaging story that unwinds perfectly between the director's distinct techniques and sensibilities. John Travolta as Jack Terry is one of the most interesting and sympathetic protagonists of a De Palma feature, and the audience is also treated to great turns from Lithgow and Allen. From the fun, inception-y opening to the vivid, emotional climax, Blow Out is a winner top to bottom. As recommended as they come!

3. Carrie (1976)

It's crazy and impressive for me to think De Palma unleashed both Carrie and Obsession in the same year! Carrie is the superior picture, though, and for me stands as one of the finest Stephen King film adaptations and horror classics. Sissy Spacek is so believable and sympathetic as Carrie, and every time I watch I share her sadness and anger at the way she's treated by most around her. Piper Laurie as Carrie's mother, a bible-thumping tyrant, is an absolute scene-stealer, and to me the most effective physical antagonist of the movie. I say physical, because the main threat is still the horrible mental torment Carrie goes through all the way through. The climax of this movie is as great as any I've seen, with the split-screen technique never used better and a cathartic but tragic feeling as many finally start to undergo suffering beyond Carrie herself.

2. The Untouchables (1987)

The Untouchables is an extremely likable film for me. Whether you're talking about the swashbuckling action, the wonderful and colorful cast of characters, Morricone's epic score, or De Palma's rock solid direction, this one's got it all. Sean Connery winning the Oscar for his role as Jim Malone is the coolest thing! I love that this movie has an unabashedly kind of cheesy vibe to it, despite the brutal violence and story, because it makes the good guys charming and offers a distinctive vibe that other crime films don't have. As far as I'm concerned, this one's a certified classic all around.

1. Scarface (1983)

Honestly, I feel kind of bad about putting Scarface as my #1, as I know it's a horribly boring choice, but it's also my honest choice. We've seen similar stories and characters to the ones presented in Scarface before, but when it's all done so vibrantly and entertainingly as it is here, that's no problem with me! Scarface delivers style in spades, be it through the constantly colorful imagery or the bopping soundtrack or the iconic lines. It's an ultimate piece of pop culture greatness, and just a damn entertaining movie in every sense to me. Al Pacino leads a cast of actors who all really get into their roles and make everyone and everything that happens so memorable. I feel I'll get flack for putting this beyond several other movies that could subjectively be seen as better, but hey, Scarface is pure awesomeness in my eyes!

Whew, there you have it! All 30 De Palma films ranked! As with most ranking, especially of this large size, I can never be 100% certain of the ordering, but it's the best job I could do having seen everything fairly recently. Any other rankings or thoughts are more than welcome! Thanks to anyone who took the time to read all this!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That top five…. Just incredible works… imagine having those five, only those five, as your creations… damn!
    Pretty impressive! I’d also highly recommend De Palma (2015) to any fans - very cool and fun to get a career overview from the director himself.
    edited March 18 Posts: 23,369
    I would find it difficult to select a best De Palma film as he made so many genuinely great films, Mission Impossible is the film I watch the most. I do have a soft spot for Body Double as it is one of the first films I watched that he did and his ultimate homage to Hitchcock, it is also the first 4K movie I ever bought.

If pushed I would have to say Scarface is De Palma best film also, Scarface defined an era and is arguably the best crime film of all time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Carlito's Way is not only my favourite De Palma, but arguably my favourite film of all-time.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 18 Posts: 8,502
    Carlito's Way is not only my favourite De Palma, but arguably my favourite film of all-time.

The pathos in the film runs wide, and deep.

It's screams warnings at the viewer: we are Carlito, wanting to be a better version of ourselves, knowing we are a better version of ourselves, and seeing the opening to shed the scaly skin of the past, to bask in the sunlight of resurrection into a new, and better self.

And then, everything is taken away.

It's a powerful film, and one that I always feel a deep melancholy after each viewing...
    Agreed. Carlito's Way is very underrated I feel. One of De Palma's best, and deserves to be regarded as one of the classics. It's arguably also one of Pacino's strongest ever performances. It might be a controversial take, but I like him much better there than in Scarface.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    I have to give De Palma credit. He may normally make thrillers, but he does truly try to be different, in more ways than one. My three favorites of his are Carrie, Scarface and Mission Impossible. In no order.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited March 19 Posts: 735
    For me it's the (un)holy trinity of Dressed to Kill, Blow Out and Body Double .... from one of my favourite podcasts, 'Girls, Guts and Giallo,' a fascinating discussion on the pyscho-sexual aspects of De Palma movies. But definitely not for the faint of heart ....

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9naXJsc2d1dHNnaWFsbG8ubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M/episode/OGQ1YzViYzQtN2U0Zi00YjU5LWIzNmUtYmZhNWI1MjA4ZjNk?ep=14
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    @FoxRox
    I am also a huge fan of Carlito's Way, and it is the one I would put at the top. There are just a ridiculous amount of fantastic scenes in that film and the characters are great. I would also agree that Passion is his most underrated. I would probably rate it even higher actually. I think there is even an argument to be made that it is his best or most important work, though there are a small I enjoy more.
    Like many of De Palma's other great films it explores the manipulative nature of story-telling in general and films in particular. But Passion takes it a step further, by putting it in a modern context, where recent tech, survailance cameras, smart phones, laptops, the internet, YouTube all become devices for the characters to for power and manipulation in the work space and the private/sex life. All the while the audience is also being effectively manipultated and misdirected by De Palma using conventional film techniques in unconventional ways.

I think I overall agree with the top 15 being the ones people should watch (plus Snake Eyes), maybe I agree less with the order. I rank The Untouchables and particularly Casualties of War lower, not because they aren't great movies (they are), but they feel like stories other directors have told equally well.

My top 16 would be something like:

16. Obsession
    15. Casualties of War
    14. Sisters
    13. Snake Eyes
    12. Raising Caine
    11. The Untouchables
    10. Dressed to Kill
    9. Phantom of the Paradise
    8. Mission Impossible
    7. Body Double
    6. Blow Out
    5. Passion
    4. Carrie
    3. Scarface
    2. Femme Fatale
    1. Carlito's Way

Don't care about the rest.
    @FoxRox
    I am also a huge fan of Carlito's Way, and it is the one I would put at the top. There are just a ridiculous amount of fantastic scenes in that film and the characters are great. I would also agree that Passion is his most underrated. I would probably rate it even higher actually. I think there is even an argument to be made that it is his best or most important work, though there are a small I enjoy more.
    Like many of De Palma's other great films it explores the manipulative nature of story-telling in general and films in particular. But Passion takes it a step further, by putting it in a modern context, where recent tech, survailance cameras, smart phones, laptops, the internet, YouTube all become devices for the characters to for power and manipulation in the work space and the private/sex life. All the while the audience is also being effectively manipultated and misdirected by De Palma using conventional film techniques in unconventional ways.

I think I overall agree with the top 15 being the ones people should watch (plus Snake Eyes), maybe I agree less with the order. I rank The Untouchables and particularly Casualties of War lower, not because they aren't great movies (they are), but they feel like stories other directors have told equally well.

My top 16 would be something like:

16. Obsession
    15. Casualties of War
    14. Sisters
    13. Snake Eyes
    12. Raising Caine
    11. The Untouchables
    10. Dressed to Kill
    9. Phantom of the Paradise
    8. Mission Impossible
    7. Body Double
    6. Blow Out
    5. Passion
    4. Carrie
    3. Scarface
    2. Femme Fatale
    1. Carlito's Way

Don't care about the rest.

Nice list, and great to see so much appreciation for Passion! I really wish it got more love, but I think maybe someday it will be recognized more positively. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and a list! :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I loved Snake Eyes. I only wish they had gone for the original ending, as the one they ended up using was a little understated. But very cool film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who has dropped in so far! Hopefully the thread can continue to pick up more steam soon, as I'd love to read more and more thoughts about De Palma and his work. As promised, I'll begin my personal, detailed ranking of his movies after having seen them all over the past half-year or so. I'll go from worst to best and break it up into two parts. Here we go:

30. Domino (2019)

Yes, De Palma's most recent film is the one I liked least of all. None of the characters interested me, the story was a total mess and included unresolved details at the end, and for the year it came out it feels very out of touch. For a film branded as a crime thriller / action flick, I felt very little excitement, and mostly just found myself looking forward to getting to the end of it. I can see why De Palma himself was disappointed with Domino; nothing much seems to work, with almost any given element being just serviceable at best, and offensive at worst, intentionally or otherwise. Guy Pearce at least seemed to have a little fun and was the one good memorable aspect of the movie.

29. Mission to Mars (2000)

De Palma's one overtly sci-fi / "space" film was a massive dud for me, unfortunately. Like Domino, I find myself having already forgotten most of it, as it failed to engage me for most of the runtime. De Palma and the genre just seem to not mesh together very well, and there are countless better space expedition movies out there to check out. I don't plan on revisiting this one.

28. Dionysus in '69 (1970)

This "movie" is an odd one out in the sense it is just recorded footage of a stage play. I don't really have much to say except I was not into it, and I've always struggled to get into "movies" of stage plays or similar events. It didn't annoy me the way Domino and Mission to Mars did, hence its higher ranking, but I still didn't get much out of it personally.

27. Murder a la Mod (1968)

While I would still consider De Palma's first film one of his worst, it's something of a neat little teaser of things to come from him later. I found it hard to follow and some of the acting and writing to be a bit iffy, but it's got a couple nice moments like the studio and cemetery skirmishes. As a complete package, Murder a la Mod is rough, but I can appreciate some of its experimental aspects. For better and worse, it's De Palma at his rawest!

26. Greetings (1968)

De Palma's second movie was the first of his several farcical comedies, and it's worth mentioning the first credited acting job of Robert De Niro! I can't say I was a big fan of this one; the style isn't really my cup of tea, and although some of the jokes land and the satire can be good, a lot of it just doesn't work for me. For some with a specific taste, I could see how this might be more appealing, but as it is it's just "okayish" for my money.

25. Hi, Mom! (1970)

Stylistically, this one's just like Greetings, though I did find the story(s), humor, and satire to be a little better here. I guess technically it's a sequel to Greetings of sorts, given De Niro is supposed to be playing the same guy. In any case, Hi, Mom! is a small step up from Greetings, but still generally not my favorite kind of thing.

24. The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)

Honestly, The Bonfire of the Vanities is lucky to rank this high on my list, and a part of me questions if it should be more like the third-worst overall. At its worst, it certainly is very bad, featuring a cast that largely does not work, way too much unfunny comedy, and a pace that just never feels all that exciting. It's easily one of the least De Palma-y De Palma movies, and I absolutely never would have guessed he directed it if his name was not on it. The reason why I have this ranked above the last few is because it did still feature several individual scenes I liked a lot, most notably Tom Hanks's character having a mental breakdown and shooting up his house to drive out uninvited guests. Basically, it's a film that has its moments, and can entertain here and there, but it definitely falls flat in most regards.

23. The Fury (1978)

The Fury ended up being one of the most disappointing De Palma films for me. After an intriguing and engaging opening sequence, the movie keeps losing me more and more as it goes along. The acting + characters are mostly good, as is the score by John Williams, but the story and the themes never really come together for me. Much of it came off as surprisingly dull, and I definitely got the vibe of wasted potential in many areas. My favorite part was following Amy Irving's character Gillian, especially as she seems to finally be having a good time fitting in with a new home. Several cool moments are in the movie too, most of all the opening and ending, but as a collective whole, I have to lean negatively I'm afraid.

22. Home Movies (1979)

Of the two De Palma films featuring the great Kirk Douglas, I'm giving Home Movies a slight edge over The Fury. Home Movies is a lot like Greetings and Hi, Mom!, featuring some wacky comedy and far-out characters, but still feels a little more natural and relatable to me. Keith Gordon as Denis Byrd was a nice, meek protagonist, while Nancy Allen has a very good, surprising turn as Kristina. A lot of the film's execution is still awkward and strange (in a not always good way), but it's got several decent scenes and ideas in it.

21. The Black Dahlia (2006)

Like The Fury, The Black Dahlia felt like wasted potential to me. While the settings and atmosphere are top notch, the acting and story are all over the place, ranging from interesting and gripping to utterly confusing and unbelievable. The good news is that I was mostly engaged with the picture from beginning to end, and I think De Palma does an excellent job capturing the noir vibes - as good as anyone at it, really. With some polishing, this could have jumped up from a mixed bag all the way to a great film.

20. Redacted (2007)

This dark, inspired by a true story film is a companion piece to De Palma's Casualties of War, a superior picture I will get to later. Redacted is anything but an easy watch, thanks to both its upsetting content and questionably used documentary style of filmmaking. I think the movie tells an important story and gets across its message effectively, but it lacks elements to make it stand out as a particularly great film. I respect the seriousness and effort put into it, but I fail to think of many ways it stylistically excels as a movie.

19. The Wedding Party (1969)

Of the farcically comedic De Palma films, The Wedding Party was one of my favorites. While still uneven and sometimes a bit draggy and unfunny, I did find the premise and comedy still far more effective than it was in Greetings or Hi, Mom!, for instance. The ending is particularly amusing, though I don't want to spoil the details for anyone who might want to check it out. The Wedding Party is rough around the edges, but it did amuse me and used the topic of relationships and marriage effectively for satire.

18. Snake Eyes (1998)

Snake Eyes is a real mixed bag of a movie. On one hand, you've got Nicholas Cage turning in a lovely performance as a morally at-war detective, along with several other solid cast members like Gary Sinise, but on the other you've got a story that's questionably paced and a less than satisfying conclusion. I really wanted to like Snake Eyes more, especially considering the talents of Cage and De Palma getting paired together, but the movie left me feeling like it could have and should have been so much better. It's just okay overall.

17. Wise Guys (1986)

This one's quite an oddball of a dark comedy / crime movie. I think a lot of it was genuinely very funny, especially Lou Albano as "Frankie the Fixer," but the main issue is that the film feels very tonally confused, with some genuinely upsetting moments like the protagonists being brutally tortured, pitted against each other, and one nearly even committing suicide near the end, but then wacky silliness in super close proximity with all that. Danny DeVito does his usual good work, and his partner in crime in Joe Piscopo's character is also good. I think with some reworking, this could have been a collectively solid comedy, but it's a bit sloppy and awkward. Still, it's got plenty of enjoyable moments and a satisfying ending.

16. Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972)

Wrapping up Part 1 of my De Palma ranking is Get to Know Your Rabbit, which is, in my opinion, the best of De Palma's early comedic works. Sure, not every joke works and some of the plotting is awkward, but I genuinely had a good time with the movie overall. John Astin as Paul Turnbull had a particularly fun rags to riches arc to watch, and Orson Welles's brief time on the screen was entertaining, especially a very funny final joke in his last scene. Katharine Ross was very loveable as well! I'd go as far as to say Get to Know Your Rabbit is a bit of an underrated gem, and definitely worth checking out to those who might be interested in strange comedies involving magic and the corporate world.

And there you have it - Part 1 of my De Palma rankings! While this half mostly featured the films I'm more negative or mixed about, the next part will mostly be very positive, so I'm looking forward even more to talking about the next 15 films!

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who doesn't like -- and that's an understatement -- Mission To Mars. It came out around the same time as Red Planet, a film that, despite being a load of red Martian crap too, at least manages to entertain. Somewhat.

Mission To Mars feels like a bloated effort to do something half Kubrick, half Scott, with a lot of sad pretention. Even Morricone's score fails to impress. The climactic reveal is a total Abyss rip-off with an infuriatingly infantile "message". Only one moment in the entire film excites me, about halfway through it, when something actually happens.

Whatever De Palma was doing here, he wasn't doing it right.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 19 Posts: 6,730
    Sounds like 2000 was a bad year for Mars movies.