"You missed Mister Bond!"..."Did I?"...The Missed Opportunities of Never Say Never Again

Comments

• Yeah Connery is a bit of an a**hole in DN. The bit that always stands out to me is when he orders Quarrel to “fetch his shoes.” A bit of subconscious racism must’ve slipped through that line of dialog there, whoever may have been responsible for it is beyond me however. Plus I can’t see the likes of Craig, Brosnan, Moore, Dalton, Lazenby, or even Connery in his later films coming across as that bigoted, and I’m glad they didn’t.

I suppose that’s what makes Connery’s first swing at Bond such an oddity in the series. His character is still magnificently executed, and you can’t take your eyes off him whenever he’s on the screen, but he really can be an unlikable jerk at times.
    I concur with those lamenting the absence of the obstacle course (although what replaced it wasn't bad), and the lack of the giant octopus. And there's a part of me that regret they didn't get a more faithful version of the meeting between Bond and Honey, but I guess the censors would have strongly objected. But my main beef is the overuse of the Bond Theme. Better to have had Barry write the whole score from the beginning.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Maybe because we don't see the villain all that much in the film it makes Bond the main focus of the film. When I think of it even shooting Dent in the back is kind of a dick move. It's like I am doing this because I can. Thank god they didn't keep him emptying the full clip into his back in the film.

I might be the only one being glad they left out the obstacle course, although probably for mere budgetary reasons. I don't think even with the right budget they could have made it look real and convincing at the time. People already complain at the Komodo dragons in SF! I think the obstacle course works in the novel but in the first entry of a spy thriller might have felt out of place.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is funny that it's the one case of the original novel being more overblown and fantastical than the movie adaptation.
    Is the thing about Dr No surviving an assassination attempt because his heart is on the right hand side of his body in the film? That's a lovely bit of oddness which feels like it should have made it in.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    A lot of here seemed mentioned already, although I liked to see the giant squid fight and Bond stealing Dr. No's gauntlet, that I think would've likely to be included had it was adapted later on, but Dr. No still worked as a good start off, but for me, Live And Let Die would've been a better start as it's not as fantastical as Dr. No, and would've fit the more smaller budget of the filmmakers at the time, same for maybe Thunderball, being a good introduction to Bond.

If there's another thing that may have made Dr. No a bit more interesting is had they added a lot more into Honey Ryder's character, for me, she's an interesting one in the book: a woman who grew up into the wilderness and knows survival way better than Bond, she became Bond's guide in the Crab Key, she's distinctively intelligent, but in the film, she just kinda turned up a damsel in distress, she's just there, I liked Honey Ryder's introduction in the film with her presence made the audience think she's threatening Bond with her knife, but after that, I've felt that she's just being dragged off.

Again, that's why I really think Live And Let Die would've been really good as the first Bond film, because Solitaire fits the mold of what Honey Ryder had became in the film, exotic, yet a damsel and naive.

• SIS_HQ wrote: »
    A lot of here seemed mentioned already, although I liked to see the giant squid fight and Bond stealing Dr. No's gauntlet, that I think would've likely to be included had it was adapted later on, but Dr. No still worked as a good start off, but for me, Live And Let Die would've been a better start as it's not as fantastical as Dr. No, and would've fit the more smaller budget of the filmmakers at the time, same for maybe Thunderball, being a good introduction to Bond.

If there's another thing that may have made Dr. No a bit more interesting is had they added a lot more into Honey Ryder's character, for me, she's an interesting one in the book: a woman who grew up into the wilderness and knows survival way better than Bond, she became Bond's guide in the Crab Key, she's distinctively intelligent, but in the film, she just kinda turned up a damsel in distress, she's just there, I liked Honey Ryder's introduction in the film with her presence made the audience think she's threatening Bond with her knife, but after that, I've felt that she's just being dragged off.

Again, that's why I really think Live And Let Die would've been really good as the first Bond film, because Solitaire fits the mold of what Honey Ryder had became in the film, exotic, yet a damsel and naive.

Yeah, LALD is a good introduction to Bond but all the racial issues in the early 60's...
    One wonders if they had made TB the first adventure, which was their early intention! Wow imagine the hoops they would have had to jump thru to get the film made on a million dollars!

As I read through more and more posts I am seeing that there is a great deal of DN that didn't make the big screen. Some of it quite interesting. I recall talk when NTTD was not yet released and people saying Saffin was really Doctor No. Using the heart thing to explain why he wasn't killed by the shots from Madeline at the start of the movie. But sadly this was either not the case or ended up on the cutting room floor.
    IMG_3869-scaled.jpeg

Lets move on to the second film in the series and dive into what, if any missed opportunities there may have been? In many people's eyes this is a classic and one that is near the top of most fans lists.

But, was there a missed opportunity here? Was there something that might have made the film even better? Or is FRWL the classic that didn't miss any notes?

What say you mi6 community? What are the missed opportunities of From Russia with Love?
    Not sure if I can name a missed opportunity with this one. I’d argue it’s a near perfect film.
    I don't think there's any missed opportunity in FRWL, or indeed any of the early Bond movies. They made Bond the success it is now. It could have easily been a less comedic Pink Panther.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    None. That's why it's #1.
  • FRWL is about as flawless a Bond film as you can get. Everything about the film is superb. Bond doesn’t get any better than FRWL.
    Some of said that the boat chase and the helicopter sequences feel tacked on to the movie and aren't executed as well. I am not a fan of the soundtrack for those parts as we return to some of the weak musical cues from DN. Not sure why Barry chose to use those cues again. The rest of the soundtrack is top notch.
    thedove wrote: »
    Some of said that the boat chase and the helicopter sequences feel tacked on to the movie and aren't executed as well. I am not a fan of the soundtrack for those parts as we return to some of the weak musical cues from DN. Not sure why Barry chose to use those cues again. The rest of the soundtrack is top notch.

But on the great scheme of things, it doesn't really add to anything, surely. I mean there might be weaker elements here and there, but not really a bona fide missed opportunity.
    I would agree, though one wonders if they had left a cliffhanger ending like Fleming Klebb successfully kicks Bond and he fades out at the end of the movie.

I agree the movie is pretty much note perfect. The casting is top notch and the script is tight. There was a deleted sequence before the gypsy camp of Bond and Kerim getting the drop on the Bulgarians. However the son of Pedro noticed that the man in the car had already died in a previous sequence in the film and so the whole thing was cut.
    The hand waving of tape in the end was a bit corny considering the grounded tone of the film, it's like the winking fish scene in LTK, just odd, it's not that much necessary, I guess.

And I liked the style of the book with Spy vs. Spy kind of thing set up, I think that's a bit underplayed in the film, like you have explicitly Russia vs. Britain in the book, there's that build up, I liked that to be more in the film.

I'm wondering how Hitchcock would've done this film though, even though it's near perfect as it is, because some aspects of the film felt Hitchcockian.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I always felt the Klebb confrontation at the end was a bit abrupt (this is the part that feels Hitchcockian to me)...just because I love that actress in the role.
  • Speaking of Hitchcock…

My hot take of the day is that I think the Helicopter sequence in this film is much better than the Cropduster scene from ‘North By Northwest’, anyone agree/disagree?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Speaking of Hitchcock…

My hot take of the day is that I think the Helicopter sequence in this film is much better than the Cropduster scene from ‘North By Northwest’, anyone agree/disagree?

Agreed
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Perhaps too trivial to be a classed a 'missed opportunity', but it would've been cool to ID Grant's wristwatch as a Girard-Perregaux calendar. At least Bond's shaving cream with hidden silencer compartment was (loosely) adapted from novel to film. That is an overlooked detail in the film, unbelievable that I only noticed last year.
    Can we all agree that there wasn't a missed opportunity in FRWL? I think given the strength of the franchise, any missed opportunity would have happen relatively later. I'd say YOLT might be the first genuinely misses opportunity.
    Interesting take @Ludovico I was thinking some might have some missed opportunities starting with TB but YOLT definitely has some for sure. I was going to keep going in chronological order for shits and giggles! LOL!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Maybe a missed opportunity is the rats. They couldn't get them to act!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,007
    goldfinger_1964_folded_original_film_art_2000x.jpg?v=1571839623

Is this film the gold standard of Bond films? For many 1964's Goldfinger is a note perfect film. Some would say it's 24 karat and that there are no missed opportunities within the movie.

However, we have a jumbled countdown at the end as the producers decided to make the bomb stop on 007. We have a film where Bond is a captive for the movie and doesn't really do anything. We have a film where a character in the book was a lesbian and that subject isn't broached in the film. Different time I suppose.

What say you community? What are the missed opportunities within the film of Goldfinger?
  • The two main missed opportunities I can think about are regarding the characters of Tilly Masterson and Felix Leiter. I really like Tania Mallet in the film and I would have liked to see more of her in it. It's a shame she disappears so early. For Felix, the missed opportunity obviously is to have another actor than Jack Lord in the role. While I understand why Eon decided to recast the role, it's still a missed opportunity to have a portray so distant from what the character was in Dr. No or in the novels.
    Yes this began the revolving casting of Felix. He is nothing like the cool cat we saw in DN. Here he is portly, far from cool and rather staid. Jack Lord's portrayal was a rival for Sean and when they were both on the screen the cool factor hit a high.

It would have been nice for Felix to be written with a consistent tone and feel.
    For me, the fact that Bond does nothing in the film at all, he's held captive in the third act and barely did nothing.

He's pretty incompetent in this film as he led the Masterson sisters (Jill and Tilly) to death, then held captive by the villains, even failed to detonate a bomb (if not for an old man just simply turning it off).

What had he done in this film? Slap a woman's rear? Turn a boyish gangster pilot by simply forcing himself on her in that barn? What else? For me, I couldn't think of anything he had done useful.

If anything, it's Felix Leiter who's the real hero of the operation, he's the one who's hands on of the operation, Pussy Galore even worked with him to foil Goldfinger's plot, and he did all of that without getting captured.

I prefer what Bond did in the book, say what you guys say about Bond being Goldfinger's secretary, but it made Bond's spy skills more better, with him working as Goldfinger's secretary while gathering intelligence inside of the gangsters meeting, knowing them one by one and knowing Goldfinger's plans, and writing a secret back up letter to Felix Leiter and the CIA.

Bond's portrayal in the film are just lauded for the coolness and suaveness, but in a whole, it's a crap portrayal of Bond, Bond's bad portrayal in this film was only edged for me by Bond's portrayal in The Man With The Golden Gun.
    Of course, the biggest missed opportunity in GF is not faithfully adapting the exchange between Bond and Goldfinger during the chainsaw scene… that and possibly not having Goldfinger randomly make Bond his personal secretary.

Actually, GF is a pretty solid adaptation as well. I agree with others though, they kinda flubbed Leiter (the Hamilton Leiters really are the worst of the series, with the exception of Hedison, and I think much of that was simply due to his performance).
  • SIS_HQ wrote: »
    For me, the fact that Bond does nothing in the film at all, he's held captive in the third act and barely did nothing.

He's pretty incompetent in this film as he led the Masterson sisters (Jill and Tilly) to death, then held captive by the villains, even failed to detonate a bomb (if not for an old man just simply turning it off).

What had he done in this film? Slap a woman's rear? Turn a boyish gangster pilot by simply forcing himself on her in that barn? What else? For me, I couldn't think of anything he had done useful.

If anything, it's Felix Leiter who's the real hero of the operation, he's the one who's hands on of the operation, Pussy Galore even worked with him to foil Goldfinger's plot, and he did all of that without getting captured.

I prefer what Bond did in the book, say what you guys say about Bond being Goldfinger's secretary, but it made Bond's spy skills more better, with him working as Goldfinger's secretary while gathering intelligence inside of the gangsters meeting, knowing them one by one and knowing Goldfinger's plans, and writing a secret back up letter to Felix Leiter and the CIA.

Bond's portrayal in the film are just lauded for the coolness and suaveness, but in a whole, it's a crap portrayal of Bond, Bond's bad portrayal in this film was only edged for me by Bond's portrayal in The Man With The Golden Gun.

Well, he was a total loser in Skyfall.