"You missed Mister Bond!"..."Did I?"...The Missed Opportunities of Never Say Never Again

1272829303133»

Comments

• edited May 2 Posts: 2,101
    Agreed on the dungarees. Yuck!

The lack of shirt under said dungarees is disturbing as well. I do wonder what discussions occurred between Connery, the director, and the costume department to go with that choice.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t complain about Moore’s blue leisure suit in LALD. Or his safari suit.
  • edited May 2 Posts: 784
    007HallY wrote: »

The lack of shirt under said dungarees is disturbing as well. I do wonder what discussions occurred between Connery, the director, and the costume department to go with that choice.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t complain about Moore’s blue leisure suit in LALD. Or his safari suit.

It's better than naked, I guess. Don't we remember the movie?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm outta here.

DHXrMsFXcAAx2nV.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2 Posts: 15,104
    I love that and other similar photos, because they seem to be proof that Roger happily pilfered his costume from the San Monique bits. And why not!
    NSNA illustrates how important music is to a Bond film. Obviously they could not use material from other Bond films, but something more distinctive was certainly needed. In the earlier Bond films music was almost another character. Remove any of the elements that make for a classic Bond film and less is definitely less.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not long after, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome made a similar misstep maybe a little less egregiously.

The opening and closing Tina Turner songs were pretty great. But for the film itself losing the symphonic backing was a problem. Introducing jazzy content worked against presenting an epic character that was already established.

Michel Legrand and Maurice Jarre have established greatness otherwise, but their their scores drifted or ignored what should have been the source. And so pretty much teased what should have been.

I wonder what Herb Alpert would have done with those.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I want to thank the Mi6 community for your thoughts for the entire film series and a couple of un-official entries. It was an interesting exercise for me to be a part of and I really took away a new appreciation for the series as a whole.

We covered the series as a whole at the start of this thread and then went one by one through each film. Some of the comments challenged conventional thinking, others provided insightful commentary on the films we love.

If I had to guess I would say films like NTTD, TMWTGG, AVTAK, DAD and DAF were the ones that seemed to spark some great discussion. While films like CR, FRWL, OHMSS were not as fruitful with many saying no missed opportunities for these films.

Please feel free to share final thoughts or comment on a previous film!

Thanks again for a great weekly discussion about each film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks for setting up these discussions, @thedove …. It’s been interesting reading the different perspectives of films we’ve seen over and over….
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 4 Posts: 14,031
    Nooo! Wait for me! I still have to submit my list of missed opportunities for NTTD - it's unfinished and I've been typing since 2019!

Nah just kidding, many thanks to @thedove, I had a lot of fun reading through everyone's comments, even though I'm content with how everything turned out.

And speaking of fruit, can I just say that NSNA is near perfection...if only Sean hadn't skewered the golden delicious...not because it's frowned upon to waste food, but it's an extra weapon in the hand...
  • edited May 4 Posts: 3,039
    Definitely some cool stuff came up in this thread/some interesting discussions. Thanks @thedove

Till Bond 26 then I guess!