Writers on strike (2023 - ?)

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,548
I have to admit that I understand what's going on, but certainly no more than that. How much will this impact the industry? Will anything change for the better? Will this impact B26? And so on. I'm hoping for members "in the know" and others as well to weigh in.

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    It’s not good at all @DarthDimi … I’ve written about this on other threads…. I’ll have to find what I did write and transport it over to this thread.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    It’s not good at all @DarthDimi … I’ve written about this on other threads…. I’ll have to find what I did write and transport it over to this thread.

Please do, @peter. And thanks in advance.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’ve got the majority of it, including my own experience and answering some questions….

April 15 Posts: 6,975Flag
    https://deadline.com/2023/04/wga-members-social-media-strike-authorization-mini-rooms-low-pay-1235325814/

Just an update.

Not looking good.

As the article states, there's been "a little" progress in feature film discussions, but they're far away from an ultImate deal.

The strike authorization was proposed this week and the final vote will be cast this Monday. I've been told to expect that well over 90% will vote for striking (my guess is a 98% vote)....

This article has more to do with the TV side of things, but is a small sample of the overall temperature.

It's not looking good, and I think the WGA will be digging their heels in. They avoided a strike three years ago, but the tone is different this time out. Sabres have been rattling for months now...

Fingers crossed that a Hail Mary pass can be delivered in two weeks.

April 20 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Just as an update:

I said the WGA vote would be 98%…

None of this is good, but some media companies wouldn’t mind a strike, as the article states, so it can kill deals and save $$$. So you have some bad agents involved and it’s clear nothing will be resolved.

I’m praying for a Hail Mary.

The project I’m on (I’ve adapted the novel The Therapist by BA Paris (fun psychological drama-thriller)), is in danger of starting later than anticipated— and that’s the best case at the moment…

https://deadline.com/2023/04/potential-strike-impact-on-business-in-hollywood-1235329823/

LucknFate wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Is your.. how you say... funding secured for all eventualities? Or do you get screwed.

@LucknFate … thanks for asking… The producer is a warrior and she’s working round the clock because her goal is to get in front of cameras in late summer/early Fall… This now may be a tough ask as everything is grinding to a halt.

If we are delayed, the can gets kicked down the road and once the dust settles on a strike, every project like ours will be fighting for not just the talent in front of the camera, but ALL the talent behind it (think lighting, make up, wardrobe, DPs…), the locations and studios spaces to be rented… it’s a mess that will be felt for a while, as I told our dear Red Snow…

Would the delay affect our financing? That is a very real possibility on all projects that don’t include those big, huge IPs (and even then, some of them may get lost in all of this). It’s not a happy time and truth be told every morning I wake up with a groan…

April 26 Posts: 6,975Flag
    FYI: for anyone interested, you’ll also see the strict rules of the strike for members and non members alike:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/hollywood-strike-wga-rules-1235337584/

@ImpertinentGoon … the vote to strike was 98% (historic numbers).

The chance of actually striking has been described as: very likely.

How long it will last: the last strike was 100 days and set back many projects. They say IF there is a strike, it’ll be long and nasty. No estimated time. Just dig heels in and “for as long as it takes” will be the thinking. After all, if the strike happens and from Day One on, everyone is losing income, they’re stating that they’re in it for the long haul.

It’s Hail Mary time over the weekend…. 🤞 that last minute negotiations save the industry from another lengthy pause (after Covid, this is almost like playing Russian Roulette. Many projects will be killed if a strike happens).

@mtm, I think my project is safe: producer is chatting to 4 directors and our lead actress.

My job may be done by midnight on May 2, and I may not be able to visit set or all the fun stuff, but I was doing polishes all weekend and talent is circling— so I hope this means I dodged a bullet!!

peter Toronto June 19 Posts: 6,975Flag
    I strongly hold firm that when we get a release date, then there will be optimism and a domino effect where news will come….

But if EoN didn’t have a script, or just an early draft before the writers strike, then they’re at the mercy of this shut-down. And this is where I fear they are at the moment.

June 19 edited June 19 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Venutius wrote: »
    Can't help feeling that they'll appreciate the extra time and breathing space that the writers' strike has given them to consider where they're going. I know it's frustrating but, to be honest, if it means we benefit in the long run then fair enough.

Agreed on everything you said…

I mean, if they were further along than we suspect, there’s nothing stopping them from releasing a date and auditioning finalists for the role.

But they’re not doing any of this.

Toronto June 20 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Latest rumours on the WGA strike… some whispers to take with a grain of salt, but they’re growing a little bit louder:
    Some in the “know” are saying the strike could be over by June 30th… Others, of equal status, are saying ridiculous…

But this date is the latest bit to trickle down…

🤞

June 21 Posts: 6,975Flag
    MakeshiftPython wrote: »
    They should take their time. Make Hollywood HURT first.

Yes, but most writers in the guild aren't multi millionaires, and they're also hurting. And once the strike ends, it'll take a while for some to find work again. I think the goal is to get a fair deal asap and get back to work. It's not about retribution, but fair wages (although it's clear the studios have profited big time by being pschopathic Ebenezer Scrooges).

peter Toronto July 6 Posts: 6,975Flag
    To throw another wrench into development and preproduction and filming of all productions, including Bond:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/actors-start-strike-preparations-a-week-ahead-of-extended-talks-deadline-1235430619/

This has been brewing for about six weeks and some heavy hitters like Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep said a couple weeks ago they were prepared to strike.

The actors contract with the studios ended June 30, but they extended to July 12.

My personal feeling is that if they do go on strike, combined with the writers, on the back of a three year pandemic, the entire industry will be in disarray at the end of all of this (logistically, lots of delays because it’ll be a rush to cast actors, gets crews and rental of studio spaces; creatively, lots of projects won’t survive these delays)….

July 6 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Thanks @mtm … On my project, we may again slip under the radar: we fall under the Independent Agreement with the studios.

If the actors go on strike (and my producer thinks it’s a reasonable assumption at this point in the talks), we will have to apply for a waiver and should be given clearance. But I feel terrible for the industry over all. We are in such muddy times with the emergence of new technology combined with the studios seeking cost-cutting measures (where any savings usually end up in their pockets, 😂).

Most writers and most of the 160,000 members of the actors guild aren’t millionaires. The majority of these people are working pay check to pay check, so it’s key for them to receive fair living wages and working conditions…

peter Toronto July 6 Posts: 6,975Flag
    jetsetwilly wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Sad times. Probably the producers will start turning to the likes of Chat GPT AI to write new scripts....

@jetsetwilly , you are correct: AI/CHAT GPT are absolutely one of the sticking points in these discussions.

Toronto July 8 Posts: 6,975Flag
    An update on SAG-AFTRA

https://deadline.com/2023/07/actors-strike-sag-aftra-picket-signs-1235432253/

The last time the actors went on strike was 1980, and it lasted three months.

The last time they went on strike while the writers were also on strike, was 1960.

Some people are whispering that it’s their time again to hit the streets.

If this does happen, the industry will be a mess, and; they’ll be quite a period, post strikes, that will have long lasting repercussions (delays of films, both big and small, other projects, hundreds of them, will no longer see the light of day, there’ll be a scramble for productions to swallow up crews and rental spaces…)

July 8 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Thanks @Jordo007 … As of this writing, we still aim to be shooting in the UK in October (preproduction in September), but I was told some of the loop holes we have to jump through are becoming clearer. We are under the Independent Production Agreement and most of the talent we have already cast, or will be casting will be from the UK. We aren’t completely out of the woods yet, but we are close, so 🤞….

July 8 edited July 9 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Awww thanks @Red_Snow !!! That’s very nice!

I was actually posting this more to make (EDIT) a note on how this could further bung-up Bond developments (as well as other favourite films/series/franchises), 😂. But thanks so much for well wishes and positive thoughts!!

July 12 Posts: 6,975Flag
    The latest:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

So the long and short: actors may be on strike sometime today, but, whether they do or not is inconsequential; the studios are leaking that they want to “break” the WGA. Their intent is to not restart any dialogue with the writers union until they have “starved them out”. They see no reason to restart discussions until late October!!

This has got ugly.

As for Bond? Hang your jacket and take a seat. If the writers are going to be dragged out to deep water, and the studio sticks to their guns, there won’t be any kind of agreement until November!!!

(Unless the writers do “break” and submit to the demands of the studios).

MakeshiftPython wrote: »
    Writers getting a fair living pay is more important than getting a Bond film ASAP.

I do think this is the studios bluffing. They want the WGA to blink, so they’re desperately throwing out word that they’ll be merciless, as if nobody knew that.

But because of streaming, @MakeshiftPython , they are loaded with content— which they didn’t have in previous strikes.

They are confident they can starve out the writers. And they haven’t even attempted any kind of dialogue.

They’re not bluffing this time. It’s an existential fight; they have to win this so the striking at the end of any collective bargaining agreement doesn’t become the norm in the future. They want to give other unions pause on this.

Once again, they’re loaded with content because of the streaming…

July 12 Posts: 6,975Flag
    You’re right, @LucknFate … this all seriously sucks… Thankfully I’m at a distance (we are under an IPA for indie films and if actors go on strike, we will receive a waiver— and most of our talent is coming from the UK (also members of SAG-AFTRA, but it’s not their main union).

But my American friends on the picket line are now, 72 days into this, feeling the pinch… it’s squeezing them…
    peterpeter Toronto July 13 Posts: 6,975Flag
    https://deadline.com/2023/07/actors-strike-contract-talks-fail-sag-aftra-to-launch-pickets-1235436031/

It’s a mess.

July 13 Posts: 6,975Flag
    Yep @MakeshiftPython … the greed that pops through the cracks like weeds….

@Kojak007 … We all hope for a quick resolution, but the studios really are looking to break strikers, and the easiest targets are the writers (so my guess is the actors and studios will reach compromises somewhat swiftly, and they won’t engage the writers for quite a while)…

• peterpeter Toronto
    Oliver Stone weighing in:

“The studio is always telling you that they’re losing money, but they always find a way to make a new level of profit for 10, 15 years. … It’s that perpetual industrial problem with a capitalist group that pays its executives more and more money and screws the average writer.”

Looking back over past industrial action, Stone recalled how the 2007 writers strike initially led to the postponement of his 1968 My Lai massacre drama Pinkville, and then resulted in it being cancelled for good.

“We had three weeks to go and it got cancelled. We got hurt,” he said.

Stone said he doubted there would be a quick or easy resolution to the current writer and actor disputes.

Oliver Stone weighing in:

“The studio is always telling you that they’re losing money, but they always find a way to make a new level of profit for 10, 15 years. … It’s that perpetual industrial problem with a capitalist group that pays its executives more and more money and screws the average writer.”

Looking back over past industrial action, Stone recalled how the 2007 writers strike initially led to the postponement of his 1968 My Lai massacre drama Pinkville, and then resulted in it being cancelled for good.

“We had three weeks to go and it got cancelled. We got hurt,” he said.

Stone said he doubted there would be a quick or easy resolution to the current writer and actor disputes.

That doesn't sound good, indeed.

Question: are independent productions in any direct way affected by this strike?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi ... I am on an a legitimate independent film; I have the rights to BA Paris's The Therapist and have adapted her novel into a script called The Circle. I am working with a producer who does have companies in the US that are signatories to the WGA, but in this case, she has an independent company that has no affiliation with them, and we are safely recognized under the Independent Production Agreement: projects like ours are allowed to continue working and we are not directly affected by either strike, thankfully (as everything was happening in real time, we were in the dark and not sure if we would be affected, but my producer stayed one step ahead to assure we were not breaking any WGA rules; as for continuing to work with SAG-AFTRA actors, on an independent production, we, and others like us, will have to receive waivers).

As of this writing, we are casting (we have two juicy actors set, and we are closing in on our two leads), and are still on track to shoot in the UK this October (things were bumpy for a while, but that is our time-line).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And still more thoughts on what damage these strikes can do, this one specifically involving the actors strike:

https://canoe.com/entertainment/hollywood-strikes-bring-uncertainty-to-local-businesses-as-tiff-nears

Our favourite festivals, still recovering from Covid, will likely be bare if the actors don’t strike a deal… so we will have very bad delays, films will be changing dates of release, other projects that were in development will die (and likely with no form of payment or compensation since they’ll be killed at the end of a collective bargaining agreement (an easy way for studios to clear the decks without being hurt financially), studios and crews for below-line-talent will be stretched thin)….

After the pandemic, cinemas were limping back into action, quite severely wounded. These strikes are only piling onto this poor state of health…
    @DarthDimi ... I am on an a legitimate independent film; I have the rights to BA Paris's The Therapist and have adapted her novel into a script called The Circle. I am working with a producer who does have companies in the US that are signatories to the WGA, but in this case, she has an independent company that has no affiliation with them, and we are safely recognized under the Independent Production Agreement: projects like ours are allowed to continue working and we are not directly affected by either strike, thankfully (as everything was happening in real time, we were in the dark and not sure if we would be affected, but my producer stayed one step ahead to assure we were not breaking any WGA rules; as for continuing to work with SAG-AFTRA actors, on an independent production, we, and others like us, will have to receive waivers).

As of this writing, we are casting (we have two juicy actors set, and we are closing in on our two leads), and are still on track to shoot in the UK this October (things were bumpy for a while, but that is our time-line).

Glad to hear this is moving forward for you, @peter -- project sounds terrific!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    First time they've both been striking together since 1960, I believe. I'm no expert on these matters but I'm assuming this is going to last for a lengthy period of time and it'll certainly disrupt anything currently filming or planning to shoot in the near future. Best to get prepared for the cinematic landscape to dry up for a while if this goes on long enough.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you for that @AgentM72 … very kind of you! I sincerely appreciate it! It’s incredibly tough to put films together in the best of times. This has been tricky going for everyone. So thank you for that little boost!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,502
    “The 2023 Hollywood strikes will have a major impact on franchises like the MCU and DCU, delaying even further their upcoming film and TV projects.”

This from both Deadline and Screenrant.

EDIT: just saw your post @Creasy47 … I think your assumption would be correct with what we’ve gathered from past strikes and how ugly and unprecedented this one is….
    So it's like the pandemic all over again? Delays and uncertain releases? Time to catch up with films that I've not seen then.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    There's a lot of ways to lose your house. Know what I'm sayin'? ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Some more info for anyone interested… details for indie features are becoming clearer… But Bond and others that are affiliated with studios are just stuck in the mud, with no where to go until people sit at the table. And that just ain’t happening.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/actors-strike-sag-aftra-indie-producers-interim-agreements-1235437916/

https://deadline.com/2023/07/slouching-towards-hollywood-rough-beast-season-commentary-michael-cieply-1235439069/
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    @peter I hope this strike doesn't affect you deeply. For your sake, I pray it's resolved sooner than expected.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oh thanks @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ ! Really that’s very nice of you, and I appreciate the very nice wishes sent my way (it’s a little embarrassing!). We seemingly are still in the clear ( 🤞 ), and my producer is experienced. It’s amazing watching her navigate these waters. She’s not only a great producer, but an amazing mentor.

Thanks again for your kind words— they do mean a lot.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Oh thanks @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ ! Really that’s very nice of you, and I appreciate the very nice wishes sent my way (it’s a little embarrassing!). We seemingly are still in the clear ( 🤞 ), and my producer is experienced. It’s amazing watching her navigate these waters. She’s not only a great producer, but an amazing mentor.

Thanks again for your kind words— they do mean a lot.

You're welcome @peter :) That's very cool to hear as well.
    Likewise, @peter, I sincerely hope that your work can continue in a fruitful manner. The best of luck, mate. I mean that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sincere thanks, @DarthDimi !! As I’ve said, it’s always nice to surprisingly receive these well wishes. I appreciate every single one of them.
    Sincere thanks, @DarthDimi !! As I’ve said, it’s always nice to surprisingly receive these well wishes. I appreciate every single one of them.

Clearly, @peter, you achieve what many of us probably wish they could achieve, but either lack the talent for (me) and/or the means to do so (me as well). And since we're here because of our appreciation of the medium, we cannot but root for friends who actually contribute to it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very nicely said, @DarthDimi , and a reminder that we all have our special talents (for example, I love being a father, but I don't have the patience nor the passion to teach young adults, as you do!!).

I've met some very unique and talented people on this site, and I'm very grateful for these friendships.

Thank you again, and thanks for the reminder!....
    Hope all works out for you @peter
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very nicely said, @DarthDimi , and a reminder that we all have our special talent s on here
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Hope all works out for you @peter

👍🏻
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,502
    The latest:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/sag-strike-actors-waiver-rebel-wilson-movie-interim-agreement-1235439316/

Still lots of questions and too few answers…

There were posts on other threads about why it takes Bond so long to recast… or long pauses between films. The long answer, of course involves all the things out of EoN’s control— and that has been discussed over and over.

The short answer is, as these strikes are proving, the way of making films is so vastly different than in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and quite a bit different when there was the last WGA strike in 2007/08; the mechanics are more complex, with huge investments and lots to lose…

Something my producer had been teaching me, and I’ve now witnessed first hand since I’m front and centre with her in making The Circle happen, is the closer you get to filming , the more vicious putting a film together becomes. My producer calls it a contact sport, and she’s not far off (the last three weeks we were battling with other, interested entities, over who gets TV rights (even though my contract had already stipulated I have all media rights!!). That’s three weeks wasted arguing with agents and lawyers (imagine the minute details of the rights on a property as big as Bond; greedy people come out of the woodwork, with their hand out); we’ve had other indie producers try and poach cast we are interested in… There are more tales of greed and nasty plays….)

EDIT:
    https://deadline.com/2023/07/moodys-sag-aftra-actors-strike-wga-costing-big-media-movie-theaters-streamers-netflix-1235439559/
  • Just a quick question regarding the the actors strike. Surely not all America based actors are members of SAG-AFTRA, so some films and TV shows are surely still able to go into production regardless? I'm very naive about all of this but I just wanted to know.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @RogerJonMoorePertwee there are a 160,000 members of SAG-AFTRA; the only actors, who are also members of this guild, and can still work on a film, have to be hired on independent features (no financing from any studio). And even then, the actors need special waivers, and even still, the actors may choose not to work by joining their colleagues on the picket line…

Basically, the studio financed films and tv series have all ground to a halt.

There are no new scripts being developed, and there are no SAG-AFTRA performers available…
  • Thanks for your response, Peter. Very much appreciated.

So, it's the pandemic all over again in a different form (in terms of delaying and grounding film and TV production to a halt for the foreseeable future). Just when things had gone back to normal in entertainment industry. Yay. 😒
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks @peter for providing your insights.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @RogerJonMoorePertwee , no problem, and, yes, it’s definitely a blow… and quite a substantial one. Hopefully when this over, we enter a new and healthy era!!

@Dwayne no problem!!