Stupid In A Bond movie?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The Hamilton Bonds generally didn't care all that much about plot logic and credibility. 😄
    Oh yes. Quite unlike the Gilbert Bonds and the Glen Bonds and even the Young Bonds and the Tamahori Bond and you name it, who were all role models of logic and authenticity. Right?

Not at all. Very few Bonds ever did. 😉
    Many of my favourite Bonds, in fact.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well, I'm glad we agree on that.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Stupidest moment for me is Q plugging Silva's laptop into the mainframe. Major slip up from the computer genius there. I feel like that at least earned a demotion.

Much as I like Skyfall, that entire sequence is pretty stupid. Q plugging in Silva's laptop, The ridiculous cell they put Silva in, Silva seeming to know he would be kept in that particular cell and Silva apparently knowing exactly where Bond (and a tube train) would be when he'd planted a pre-planned explosive...
    To be fair it was a spin on a relatively common plot contrivance at the time in commercial cinema. The villain gets kidnapped only to escape through elaborate means as part of their master plan. The Dark Knight did it with Joker, the first Avengers with Loki. A year after SF I think Khan did it in Star Trek Into Darkness.

It’s still stupid, granted.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    007HallY wrote: »
    To be fair it was a spin on a relatively common plot contrivance at the time in commercial cinema. The villain gets kidnapped only to escape through elaborate means as part of their master plan. The Dark Knight did it with Joker, the first Avengers with Loki. A year after SF I think Khan did it in Star Trek Into Darkness.

It's basically the opposite of villains doing to Bond what Dr. Evil describes thus: "I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death." Also stupid when it's not satire.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 2,753
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

It's basically the opposite of villains doing to Bond what Dr. Evil describes thus: "I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death." Also stupid when it's not satire.

True. I suppose much like that ‘villain trying to kill Bond in slow, easily escapable ways’ situations it’s something that’s become more stupid the more it’s been done/we as audiences have been subjected to it. It’s certainly been parodied afterwards.

For what it’s worth I don’t remember anyone at the time having a problem with that SF subplot. Even now I can go along with it because I find the film entertaining. I mean, if it’s silly/illogical in SF it’s the same with those other films (and to be honest none of them did that concept as well as the Hannibal Lecter escape scene from Silence of the Lambs, which I guess is a sequence distantly related to that trope).
  • i like AVTAK except 3 scenes
    the totally stupid and unconvincing fight scene with “Big Ron from Eastenders” in Zorins warehouse
    the stupid fight in Staceys house with the badly wigged stuntmen
    the stupid and overly comedic firetruck chase with the keystone cops.
    i like AVTAK except 3 scenes
    the totally stupid and unconvincing fight scene with “Big Ron from Eastenders” in Zorins warehouse
    the stupid fight in Staceys house with the badly wigged stuntmen
    the stupid and overly comedic firetruck chase with the keystone cops.

Having ripped off and parodied almost everything else during the RM era, the keystone cops were a natural for a series with few places left to go. For me RM will always be the 'silly Bond.' Certainly all Bond films can be picked apart, but when you suggest you can't even take yourself seriously, you eventually get the keystone cops.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I dunno, I imagine Silva had a tunnel ready to blow to stop anyone at all who's following him, not necessarily Bond and not even someone directly behind him. It's a decent distraction for law enforcement. And Underground trains come along fairly regularly.

My favorite stupid death trap is the helicopter in Goldeneye. It's easily escaped and left unattended, right after 006 boasts of anticipating Bond's every move. It's hilarious!
    I dunno, I imagine Silva had a tunnel ready to blow to stop anyone at all who's following him, not necessarily Bond and not even someone directly behind him. It's a decent distraction for law enforcement. And Underground trains come along fairly regularly.

My favorite stupid death trap is the helicopter in Goldeneye. It's easily escaped and left unattended, right after 006 boasts of anticipating Bond's every move. It's hilarious!

It's the Q factor. 'Here's a new gadget for a specific circumstance we have anticipated well in advance.'

With respect to SF, I wish the writers had written the scene in which Silva is sitting at home planning that underground surprise. Also would have loved to have seen the scene in which all the faces are taped to the wall. Who was paid to do that?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Kronsteen in FRWL: "The man the British will almost certainly use on a mission of this sort would be their agent James Bond."

And since I'm on talking about Dr. No, why was Honey Ryder could freely hunt for shells in Dr. No's island? Why Dr. No didn't suspected her of entering the island? Did Dr. No never noticed Honey Ryder entering his island? Means Dr. No was stupid enough not to noticed those strangers entering his island, except Bond. 😅

Honey has dialogue with Bond saying that at the start of her coming, they tried to stop her and when they could never capture her they gave up trying.
    In SPECTRE, the night Bond and company meet at the safe house, Madeleine tell's Bond she can't deal with chaos and uncertainty any longer. She and Bond break up and she walks off by herself.

Later that evening Bond learns Blofeld has captured Madeleine and tied her up in the old MI6 Building. Miraculously the interior has been done up with red lines and string and decorated with photos of villains and M. Fortunately there's a huge net Bond will conveniently use to rescue Madeleine.

How did Blofeld anticipate Madeleine would be on the street alone? And when did he have time to decorate? How did all that happen in one evening?

CrabKey wrote: »
    In SPECTRE, the night Bond and company meet at the safe house, Madeleine tell's Bond she can't deal with chaos and uncertainty any longer. She and Bond break up and she walks off by herself.

Later that evening Bond learns Blofeld has captured Madeleine and tied her up in the old MI6 Building. Miraculously the interior has been done up with red lines and string and decorated with photos of villains and M. Fortunately there's a huge net Bond will conveniently use to rescue Madeleine.

How did Blofeld anticipate Madeleine would be on the street alone? And when did he have time to decorate? How did all that happen in one evening?

I think it's what's called last minute scriptwriting. Why I think the third act is so appalling. (And stupid...)
  • Even though their is a lot of mistakes and stupid stuff you got to love it for it! James Bond films has always been a little silly and casual it what makes Bond so fun to watch.
    It's not miraculous : the building was prepped for demolition. All Blofeld had to do was to put the pics, and put the fuses in the explosives and advance the scheduled explosion. Nothing to it, really.
    Too bad they didn't blow up that ugly bitch of a pretentious and pompous architectural atrocity in reality. Easily the ugliest building I saw in London (it's been 11 years since...so they may have surpassed themselves in the meantime).
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited March 2023 Posts: 3,382
    It's also stupid at where did they get the speedboat, I mean if the building was up for demolition, why to leave a functioning speedboat in there?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's also stupid at where did they get the speedboat, I mean if the building was up for demolition, why to leave a functioning speedboat in there?

I couldn't agree more.
    Benny wrote: »

I couldn't agree more.

But is it stupid leaving a speedboat there?

Seems genius when you think about it. It served Bond well during that sequence and it was a convenient thing to have around.

Seems like solid forward thinking if you ask me.

I couldn't agree more.

Seems genius when you think about it. It served Bond well during that sequence and it was a convenient thing to have around.

More of a plot device imo.

That speedboat just don't serve any purpose in that building, like for what? Why to leave it there? Especially for a building that's going to be demolished?

It's just there just to have Bond use something to escape, which is stupid.

I couldn't agree more.

That speedboat just don't serve any purpose in that building, like for what? Why to leave it there? Especially for a building that's going to be demolished?

I suppose some clever individual at MI6 thought one would be needed given their recent history of security breaches and locations being compromised.

Again, in practice it was a genius idea. I hope that individual got a raise.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 3,382

I couldn't agree more.

I suppose some clever individual at MI6 thought one would be needed given their recent history of security breaches and locations being compromised.

Yes, when you look inside the story, if who's the person who had left a speedboat in there, then Bond should thanked him, because he's clever to leave a speedboat in there. 😅

But in terms of script (and the execution), it just served as a plot device just for Bond and Madeleine to escape that building which is again, lack of creativeness and ideas from the writers, and comes off as stupid.

I couldn't agree more.

Yes, when you look inside the story, if who's the person who had left a speedboat in there, then Bond should thanked him, because he's clever to leave a speedboat in there. 😅

But in terms of script (and the execution), it just served as a plot device just for Bond and Madeleine to escape that building which is again, lack of creativeness and ideas from the writers, and comes off as stupid.

Perhaps someone just forgot to remove the speedboat?

I mean, this is the same version of MI6 that plugged in Silva's laptop without presumably running it through some sort of tech sweep beforehand... there seems to be quite a lot of incompetence rife at all levels really.

(But yes, I agree, it is stupid and a plot contrivance, haha).
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Well, I can imagine if you go to a building that's rigged for demolition, there might be some stuff there that has yet to be removed.

But why are there always chains on top of trains people fight on? Why is Demitrios right in line of a camera at the perfect time? These things just sort of happen sometimes.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 6,728
    Always bugs me, that Patrice is waiting to be chased in pts of SF! What was he doing while Bond was looking for the disc and helping Ronson, getting the car washed?,
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Always bugs me, that Patrice is waiting to be chased in pts of SF! What was he doing while Bond was looking for the disc and helping Ronson, getting the car washed?,

So true mate! Just another contrivance in a film that has more than it's fair share 😁
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Patrice already in his car escaping?

Doesn't Moneypenny tell Bond what car he's in,and they continue pursuing him?
    peter wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Patrice already in his car escaping?

Doesn't Moneypenny tell Bond what car he's in,and they continue pursuing him?

Yeah, he must have been driving round the block as it would seem a bit silly to drive past the place where you'd just nicked a top secret hard drive from...😁

Well, I can imagine if you go to a building that's rigged for demolition, there might be some stuff there that has yet to be removed.

But why are there always chains on top of trains people fight on? Why is Demitrios right in line of a camera at the perfect time? These things just sort of happen sometimes.

Planes, trains, and cranes all have conveniently welded on handgrips, grids, and rails. Pretty easy to spot if you look for them. Note how easily Bond walks up the crane on the railcar with the VWs.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    After a fresh viewing of MR and I couldn't believe some of the things that when you really analyze them make little to no sense.

I love Drax as the villain and Lonsdale does a nice job of bringing him to life, but he's not the smartest villain by a long shot.
    • hijacks the shuttle when he could have just either fixed what he had, or ask the US government for the shuttle to be returned.
    • Has Bond come to his facility, seems to know he's a double o, knows Bond reputation and compliments him. Then he orders his goon to "bring some harm to Mister Bond." Why? Just let Bond sniff around and then send him on his way. Bond had no suspicions until Chang tried to G-Force him to death
    • Drax has to have the most times to kill Bond and fail. The pheasant hunt, the sniper has Bond in his sights but he waits, instead of just killing Bond after the python he puts him somewhere he can escape, then when he has Bond and Goodhead on the space station he orders Jaws to expel them out of an air lock. Why not laser them?