The NEW AND IMPROVED James Bond Trivia Quiz

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It is Goldfinger all right - but not the line about the heroin-flavored bananas.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    How about the line about Auric Goldfinger sounding like a French nail varnish?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Man talk.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Neither of those. Remember it was at the request of a sponsor of the TV premiere. ABC may have cut a few other things because it considered them unfit for prime-time TV (I wouldn't know, but I suppose Mrs. Bell would also have been a victim of censorship then), but the line in question here is not lewd or dirty talk.
    Let me guess Paul, John, George and Ringo lobbied for the line about the Beatles to be cut! LOL!
    Maybe the line about Dom Pérignon? An alcohol company sponsoring perhaps?
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,691
    No Beatles, even without earmuffs. No alcohol. Further hint: a company that later compared itself to a favorite ballgame, a ground-beef patty in a bun and what the French call tarte aux pommes.
    It's not dialogue but did McDonald's disapprove of Kentucky Fried Chicken being shown behind Leiter and friend during the stakeout?
    No, it's not McDonald's who used (albeit a few years later) the comparison I mentioned, and we are really discussing a dialogue line that was cut from the film.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Did he ask for cigarettes, by brand, like in the book?
    No cigs. Nothing that you swallow or inhale or infuse etc.
    Well, no takers to get this wrapped up? Other products that are detrimental to the public's health, maybe? Or to further provide details to my previous hint (to get this done finally): baseball, hot dogs (sorry, I described hamburgers the last time, my fault), apple pie and...??? And then think of the line that might have bothered them...and it did.
    Mint julep?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    No cigs. Nothing that you swallow or inhale or infuse etc.
    PS: And also no alcohol, see above.
    Just bumping this to first page again. It can't be hard for anyone who cares. Google is your friend.
    I like to challenge myself and do this old school. I wonder it's Goldfinger's line about the amount of people killed in motor car accidents?
    Yes, it is indeed. Care to elaborate or rather let me explain? Shouldn't be too hard to find the sponsor in question who had the line killed.
    Now, @thedove, you solved half of it...but the motivation of the sponsor to remove the line should be made clear.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The motivation: remove the line that they can sell as many cars as always?
    Pretty good. But let's get back at the original question from May 9th: Who was the sponsor that demanded it? ( A few years later: "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and...")
    I was thinking Ford until you posted about the commercial jingle and now I am thinking Chevrolet.
    "Goldfinger had its world television premiere on September 17, 1972 as the debut film in a new season of ABC's ‘Sunday Night Movie’ strand. The ABC network made edits to the film for violence and sexual content, but also trimmed dialogue in the scene where Bond is trying to dissuade Goldfinger from using a nerve gas on Fort Knox, saying it'll kill 60,000 innocent people. Goldfinger replies “So What? American motorists kill that many people every two years” - that line was cut because the sponsor of the ‘Sunday Night Movie’ was American car manufacturer Chevrolet!"

- http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond_on_tv.htm

Right on, @thedove. Over to you.
    Oh geez! Okay now I need to think of a question.

What actor that appeared in the Bond movies was a spokesperson for a soft drink company? Who was the actor and what was the soft drink?
    How about Geoffrey Holder and 7Up? This image popped in my head before searching for confirmation:

4e13cecefeba4062b53a3fc8385937fe--october--director.jpg
    I knew it was too easy! Good stuff @QBranch over to you!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 13,934
    Thanks, @thedove - I'm a big fan of 7 Up because it's crisp and clean, and no caffeine!

Here we go - one I've had in store for quite a while now:

51408158030_d7c597378c_w.jpg50392778793_bd3f585b63_w.jpg

Q's ghetto blaster (TLD)
    Bond's rum bottle (NTTD)

What's the connection?
    I have no idea. I was thinking of a special "007 edition" or something. Blackwell's rum had that (and it looks as if that is still available), but I couldn't find a trace of a 1980s Philips Soundmachine having been issued as such.
    Interesting idea, that would've been awesome to have a 007 edition of this stereo, Philips missed a trick there. Would've also been even more difficult to acquire than the regular one, which took years to hunt down.
    Both are well aged!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So there are the Blackwell connections with Island Records, Chris Blackwell purchasing Goldeneye, and Blanche Blackwell in Fleming's past.

I don't recognize a specific ghetto blaster connection.