Best Shot Per Decade - GE , DAD & SP (The Finals pt:1)

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,034
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I’ve always been somewhat of a TWINE defender and I’ll defend it here as well. I quite like how the film looks, sure it’s nothing flashy but it suits the 90’s former USSR locations where it is set and therefore it provides the right atmosphere for me.

Yep, agreed. Cinematography isn't always about looking pretty. Good cinematography is supposed to suit the type of story that the film is trying to tell.

GoldenEye had those musky, hazy interiors with a focus on mid-shots and a sense of claustrophobia to evoke 60s and 70s thrillers from other spy series in 90s wrapping paper.

Tomorrow Never Dies went a new route, reflections and big clean open spaces with a lot of technological placements in the frame. Lots of wides, not too many close-ups. A techno-thriller vibe.

The World Is Not Enough attempts to dial it all down to a very un-stylised "matter of fact" way of shooting. Again there's a running theme, especially through it's establishing shots, of a ruined world. There's a barren feeling to it, all tied into it's oil supply themes.

Whether it works or not is another question entirely, but there's plenty of merit behind the decisions to shoot it the way they did.

Anyway, deadline for voting is tonight at 9pm!
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Adrian Biddle's TWINE cinematography is effective and appropriately moody for the deception-driven plot (he also lensed Aliens, The Mummy, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise). The issue is Apted's direction, which doesn't quite have the punch that the movie needed to really come to life.
    Elswit's and Tattersall's work on TND and DAD, respectively, are underrated, although DAD obviously has a lot of serious issues.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,034
    We have a tie!

#12 - 2
    #17 - 2
    #21 - 2

12. The-World-is-not-Enough-1424.jpg
    Winter in Scotland

17. fxnyi8o1xphy.jpg
    Bond saves the day celebrations

21. The-World-is-not-Enough-0929.jpg
    Caspian Sea

Vote for your favourite out of these three! :)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,695
    None of the three. It takes absolutely no particular expertise to film Eilean Donan Castle, those actual Caspian oilfields or that scene with Bond and Christmas before some fireworks. They're just bland. There is nothing outstanding about any of them. Doesn't mean they're revolting or just lacking in the context of the movie, which in my view is the second-worst of them all (guess which is the worst - you may win an invisible Aston Martin). Any first-year film student could probably do any of those shots.

And the fact that those three "top shots" only received two(!) votes each, proves my point. There is not a single shot that is exciting in any way.
    I'll minus a vote for each then on your part, @j_w_pepper. Thanks for contributing! :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'll minus a vote for each then on your part, @j_w_pepper. Thanks for contributing! :)

I'm glad you take this light-heartedly, but I really don't see anything outstanding here. I've been up too long for my time zone and my age by now, so I'll see what you worked out later on this date (my time).
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I will also not vote this time, none of the entries is particularly good looking, a shame really. Can I find a better one? No, I just checked again on Screenmusings and there is not a single frame that I find particularly pretty.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

I'm impressed they included this shot on screen. In contrast to everything else.

I'm impressed they included this shot on screen. In contrast to everything else.

I guess you're too late, @RichardTheBruce. This is already the run-off poll among three disappointing candidates. Sounds familiar?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    All good just seemed like it needed some attention @j_w_pepper.

12 if I'm able.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Cheer up @j_w_pepper, not long until Skyfall and you can nominate all 3,456 frames of it 😅😅

Anyway I vote for 12, but in the main agree, TWINE is very workmanlike and there isnt much flash to it.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Cheer up @j_w_pepper, not long until Skyfall and you can nominate all 3,456 frames of it 😅😅
    I certainly won't go that far, @Mallory, but it is clear as crystal to me that other Bond movies (and not just Skyfall, but in particular Skyfall) have the edge over the likes of TWINE in regards of cinematography. This one is mediocre, and I fail to find a redeeming moment.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I’ve always been somewhat of a TWINE defender and I’ll defend it here as well. I quite like how the film looks, sure it’s nothing flashy but it suits the 90’s former USSR locations where it is set and therefore it provides the right atmosphere for me.

I am with you. I don't understand the "hate" this film gets--I know, it's the Christmas Jones casting. But after 20+ years, I don't mind Denise Richards nearly as much. I rank TWINE as Brosnan's best, with his most assured performance. That said...

12 for me
    No no no, I am sure no Bond film gets "hate" on this forum, because at the end of the day we are Bond fans on a very "niche" Bond forum here.

As for TWINE, I agree Brosnan is rather good in it, but whenever I watch it there are too few scenes I am looking forward to. Many actually make me cringe, like when Electra calms the people (the whole set looks TV-style artificial), when she tortures Bond (I don't believe he is suffocating, as there is always some space between his neck and the ribbon visible), and even the skiing is underwhelming.

And no, Christmas Jones is not cringe-worthy, she is the film's comical relief and the ray of light that saves the film for me. I love Denise Richards, she has this near-absurd beauty that ticks all the cliché-boxes and knows it, but manages to play it straight.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited December 2022 Posts: 4,398
    zebrafish wrote: »
    No no no, I am sure no Bond film gets "hate" on this forum, because at the end of the day we are Bond fans on a very "niche" Bond forum here.

As for TWINE, I agree Brosnan is rather good in it, but whenever I watch it there are too few scenes I am looking forward to. Many actually make me cringe, like when Electra calms the people (the whole set looks TV-style artificial), when she tortures Bond (I don't believe he is suffocating, as there is always some space between his neck and the ribbon visible), and even the skiing is underwhelming.

And no, Christmas Jones is not cringe-worthy, she is the film's comical relief and the ray of light that saves the film for me. I love Denise Richards, she has this near-absurd beauty that ticks all the cliché-boxes and knows it, but manages to play it straight.

I feel exactly the same, especially about Richards. Except that I also like the torture scene.
    Many actually make me cringe, like when Electra calms the people (the whole set looks TV-style artificial)

The way the crowd are celebrating, waving their arms in the air etc while Bond is talking to Elektra, is terrible. You could tell the extras were told "act like your team has just won the world cup". Once you see it, you can't unsee it, it's like the QoS sweeping man.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I wish. :))

I am guilty of throwing some "hate" at MR, which is the only Bond film that I find repulsive. But it has its admirers, so all the power to 'em.

I think what you describe as a TV artificiality describes several films, including CR. It can be a drawback, but I have never noticed it so much with TWINE. Maybe I'll watch again and reassess.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Actually, I didn't vote on this, because I couldn't decide between several which I thought were equally good:

- Out of the frying pan, into the freezer (explosive ski jump) - great colour and near rule of thirds
    - Out of the frying pan, into the silo (explosive flying fox) - nice, if logical angle
    - Winter in Scotland (MI6 castle) - nice colour palette
    - Inside woman - minimal detail, but really like the red lighting on Bond - recalls TND
    - Caspian Sea - great vibe here
    - Danger up above - love the rich blue helicopter lens flare
    - What's going on out there? - again, great colours and 'rule of thirds' which interests me

Seeing this round might've brought new appreciation to me. It's really only the PTS and Azerbaijan arrival that look a bit flat IMO.
    And we have a winner from the tiebreak!

12. The-World-is-not-Enough-1424.jpg
    Winter in Scotland

I hope everyone has a nice Christmas. In a couple of days we'll open up again for DIE ANOTHER DAY.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,034
    It's a new year, with new threats.....

Happy 2023 to everyone. We're kicking off with the last of the Brosnan films, Die Another Day.

Die-Another-Day-Header.jpg

5 shot submissions per member, please. If you go above that then I will only be counting your first five.

Voting opens now and will be open until 9pm GMT on Saturday 14th January!

Let's try and keep it positive, as well. As much as the debate about film's quality is valid, let's try and encourage more engagement rather than fill the thread with negativity.
    It's a new year, with new threats.....
    With all due respect, shouldn't it be "threads"? I never felt any of these board subjects really threatening...
    VR training
    Die-Another-Day-0726.jpg

Fight of the musketeers
    Die-Another-Day-1497.jpg

En garde!
    7AIoA8f.png
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,879
    caos021fewlk.jpg

Bond alerted to the danger

uk5bnkhnixl6.jpg

Can I borrow these?

5ch9rx9xr6er.jpg

A cabin by the sea

777vbcxok6fr.jpg

Only Pierce gets to do pain face...bitch!

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Die-Another-Day-0272.jpg
    Yacht Club Hong Kong

Die-Another-Day-0790.jpg
    Ice palace arrival

Die-Another-Day-0995.jpg
    Ice action

Die-Another-Day-1743.jpg
    Diamonds Are Forever
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Nice timing, because today it is 20 years a go that Die Another Day was released in The Netherlands on 09 January 2003. In all those 20 years i only have seen 5-6 times.

You only whant 5 pictures... :(

Die-Another-Day-0089.jpg
    Warned by the bell

Die-Another-Day-0159.jpg
    Smelting face

?
    Dutch flag with the mirror

?
    A View To A Kill

Die-Another-Day-0700.jpg
    Get the Key ?

Die-Another-Day-0703.jpg
    Extra gunbarrel, Die Another Day be earlier then NTTD.

Die-Another-Day-0719.jpg
    The Battle of who is Bond in Bond 21 is begun..
    M_Balje wrote: »

You only whant 5 pictures... :(

It's the best way to stop one person submitting 70% of the nominations and to allow others to get involved.

Good choices so far. Keep 'em coming.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd get involved but I don't know where to find high quality screenshots
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,695
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'd get involved but I don't know where to find high quality screenshots

Try screenmusings.org. But other than that, Google is clearly your friend. My problem is rather that I don'f find anything outstanding in DAD.