The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

If we're asking who is the most like Bond 'in real life' than Connery is definitely a good choice. I mean correct me if I'm wrong- but isn't Connery the only one of the bunch who was actually in the Royal Navy?

However, I am also deeply considering Lazenby. It's well known that he was the 'real' fighter and quite the ladies man
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 122</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Of all Bonds, Connery is/was most Bond in real life too.</b></font>

I'd agree. If only because he was the only Bond actor who actually got to work with Fleming and the fact he lived a world nearer in time to the world the character from the books lived in.
    If we're asking who is the most like Bond 'in real life' than Connery is definitely a good choice. I mean correct me if I'm wrong- but isn't Connery the only one of the bunch who was actually in the Royal Navy?

However, I am also deeply considering Lazenby. It's well known that he was the 'real' fighter and quite the ladies man

Moore served in the navy aswell.

DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 122</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Of all Bonds, Connery is/was most Bond in real life too.</b></font>

I'd agree. If only because he was the only Bond actor who actually got to work with Fleming and the fact he lived a world nearer in time to the world the character from the books lived in.

The two never actually worked that close together. And Moore was even older than Connery during that time. So Moore lived in that world closer to the character aswell. As a matter of fact, The Saint debuted it's first episode only 1 day after the premiere of Dr.No. After watching the episode and being very impressed Fleming went on to say that Moore would've been a good choice for James Bond.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813

No I'm pretty sure he served in the Royal Army Service Corps, not the Navy. But true, like Bond he was a military man

Connery was in the Royal Navy,
    Lazenby in the Australian Army,
    & Moore in the Royal Army Service

I don't think anyone else served now that I think of it. Anyone know?

No I'm pretty sure he served in the Royal Army Service Corps, not the Navy. But true, like Bond he was a military man

Connery was in the Royal Navy,
    Lazenby in the Australian Army,
    & Moore in the Royal Army Service

I don't think anyone else served now that I think of it. Anyone know?

No. Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig never served in the military of their respective countries.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    But Craig used to play rugby, as the book-Bond has.
    Then agian, Connery is Scottish, and the only one with such background.
    Moore has the most style, no doubt.
    I really, really don't know. I don't think style and class alone ought to give an actor that title, Bond also has exceptional stamina and strength, loves the quiter life (I mean prefers to stay out of the picture, said no to an OBE), so that would bring Craig to the foreground. Is that enough to take the title? Nope, I don't think so. To be honest, I don't think any of the six could claim to be closest to the book-Bond..
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A tie between Connery and Moore.
    But Craig used to play rugby, as the book-Bond has.

Somebody on another thread mentioned that Brosnan played rugby too.
    Moore and Brosnan have the suave sophistication down and always dressed well, but Bond is more than just a preening pretty boy. Bond could also kick your ass without breaking a sweat. I never for a moment thought Moore could kick anyone's ass (in real life). If I had to face all of the actors (in their prime) in a fight (now there's a strange thought), I'd fear Moore far less than any in the group. Craig, obviously would top that list, with maybe Connery a close second.

Bond is also a secret agent, and thus has to keep things close to the vest, thus having a quiet air of mystery around him. None of the actors come close to having that more than Craig.
  • I'll say Sir Sean because of his Scottish background and experience in the military being closest to the literary version.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,680
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 123</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond films have but a very slim chance of ever completely bombing at the BO.</b></font>

What do you mean?

Bond films have but a very slim chance of ever completely bombing at the BO.

or

Bond films have every chance of completely bombing at the BO.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,856
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 123</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond films have but a very slim chance of ever completely bombing at the BO.</b></font>

Depends. If they are of good quality then yes they have a very slim chance. if they are rubbish and the formula becomes stale but they stick to it, I hope it bombs as I would rather see that then a slow death by critics over five ish films.
    Lol! Not sure how to read this one? You on the Vespers DD? ;)
    "Bond films have a slim chance of ever bombing at the Box Office"

Agree.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Absolutely. You don't need to be a good film to make money. See DAD's BO.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,696
    If the debut film of Bond #7 is highly unpopular, it won't affect that film because the curiosity and 'new Bond factor' will bring people in. What would be bad for the BO would be keeping the same actor and make a similar film for his 2nd outing. So in other words it would take a string of unpopular movies to start a dip in the box office.
    Do they stand a slim chance of bombing? Depends on what you mean by "bombing". Skyfall has so much hype behind it already, it could easily finsh the year in the top 15 films, but be seen as "bombing" if expectations were it would finish top 5. If you film makes money by the cartload, its still seen as a dissapointment if expectations were it would rake in the cash by the truckload.

Saying that Bond films will never bomb, is the same as saying there will always be Bond films. But simply can't happen. Sooner or later, all good things come to an end. And the end will come, eventually, to Bond. I just hope it isn't in my lifetime. :-)

No, the absolute proof is in QoS. Give credit where it is due. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:

I would if it deserved it.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    SaintMark wrote:

And it certainly did.

MrBond wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

And it certainly did.

People will look back and see how good it is. And I'll be there to say I told you so.
    MrBond wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

And it certainly did.

People will look back and see how good it is. And I'll be there to say I told you so.

That will happen the same time that general consensus dictates that the remake of The Fog is brilliant and Oscarworthy. ;)
    SaintMark wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

And it certainly did.

That will happen the same time that general consensus dictates that the remake of The Fog is brilliant and Oscarworthy. ;)

Yada, yada... 8-|
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Back on topic, I agree with this one. Every Bond film has at least made three times it's budget, so that's a big hit however you slice it.
    Thesis seems correct, especially in modern times. Die Another Day was a piece of crap but still made a handsome profit at the box office. I don't think any Bond release has gone home cap in hand and there's no reason to suggest it ever will. For a real Bond Bomb, that would be something to see, but simply can't envisage such a thing, Thesis is correct
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Can I suggest a debate topic?

Fleming giving Bond a Scotish heritage after Connery's debut was a rash and impulsive decision.

I always thought Fleming was just being swooned by the flavor of the month at the time and shouldn't have made that change for such a reason. That's like giving Batman a Welsh heritage because of Christian Bale or giving Wolverine an Australian background due to Hugh Jackman. Hell lets make Sherlock Holmes' birthplace America because Robert Downey Jr. is just so gosh darn good in the role.
    8-|

And that's coming from a proud New Yorker.

No matter good Connery was no one actor is bigger than James Bond.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,680
    @DoubleOhhSeven

Topic suggestions can always be PM'd to me. However, since you've already discussed it, you kind of spilt the beans prematurely and we're still discussing #123, matey. ;-)
    MrBond wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

And it certainly did.

People will look back and say how good every Bond film is at some point.
    MrBond wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

And it certainly did.

People will look back and say how good every Bond film is at some point.

Not all of them.