The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

yep i would agree with that.
    Connery in The Anderson Tapes might be worth an inclusion from what I can remember from the last time I saw it
    Sean Connery in the Rock as a british agent in a US prison
    George Lazenby in a cameo in The men from Uncle
    Roger Moore as Roger Moore in the Cannonball run, and as M in Northsea Hijack.
    Tinothy Dalton just plays a better baddie as hero
    Pierce Brosnan in Matador or the Thomas Crown Affair.
    Daniel Craig in Archangel
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Sean Connery in Entrapment
    Roger Moore as The Saint
    Pierce Brosnan in Thomas Crown Affair, After the Sunset, The Tailor of Panama, Matador.
    Daniel Craig in Layer Cake.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sean Connery in the Rock as a british agent in a US prison
    George Lazenby in a cameo in The men from Uncle
    Roger Moore as Roger Moore in the Cannonball run, and as M in Northsea Hijack.
    Tinothy Dalton just plays a better baddie as hero
    Pierce Brosnan in Matador or the Thomas Crown Affair.
    Daniel Craig in Archangel

Sean in the Rock is very obviously playing an older Bond. Great movie BTW.
    Roger Moore as The Saint - I disagree with, the show was from 1962-1969 and based upon stories/books pre-dating those of Fleming 16 years and the movies almost 25 years. I would sooner say that it is in Roger Moore the other way around.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 110</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Dalton had a tougher job acting opposite Davi than opposite Krabbe.</b></font>
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    imo Davi has the most acting chops of the two, but Krabbé is the most genuinly awesome bloke of the two ! Iso I agree with this thesis.
    Both are great actors, surely have their different characters so I guess both cooperations would have been different.

As to who is the better actor that would be subjective as hell.

Therefor I would say that this thesis is BS and will end in a subjective choice based upon familiarity with the actor.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'm going to agree. Davi was one of the best villians in the franchise where Krabbe was your turn of the mill character that played both sides. Krabbe was in the mix with the Whitaker and Necros characters and came off as a slight goof. Even though LTK had a tremendous rogues gallery, you knew Sanchez was the main guy where you weren't necessarily certain who the main or top baddy was in TLD. Keep in mind that Dalton was without MI6's help (save for Q) in going after Sanchez and the Bond character had a new twist in LTK.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If he did, it was because Davi was the better actor and this only helped Dalton with his work in the finished film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 107</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>NSNA isn't part of the official series despite MGM buying its distribution rights .</b></font>

No. It's clearly existing in "alternate Bond universe" since if he were the same Bond wouldn't he be suspicious about running into another SPECTRE plot involving hijacked nuclear weapons, a villain named Largo, a girl named Domino and going to Shrublands, battling someone named Lippe and romancing a physical therapist named Patricia Fearing? Deja vu indeed.

But don't a lot of Bond films exist in parallel universes to each other? What about the change of Blofeld actors? The fact that Bond barely gives a crap in DAF that Blofeld just killed his wife in the previous story? The fact that Blofeld doesn't recognize Bond in OHMSS? Nevermind the change in Bond actors.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 108</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond with a Playboy magazine in OHMSS is an example of tasteful product placement.</b></font>

Yes definitely! So is his Playboy club card in DAF! That's how you do product placement. Not this Heineken nonsense. **Ms. Broccoli and MGW take note**
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 110</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Dalton had a tougher job acting opposite Davi than opposite Krabbe.</b></font>

Although i liked both villains, i agree with the thesis. Davi is one of my favourites as a villain. Very menacing and a man you dare not cross! Brilliant!
    SaintMark wrote:
    Therefor I would say that this thesis is BS.

I'm sorry...

:-S
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I don't know about it being harder to act beside, but I guess that the job would be more challenging if the actor matched your talents. I hold Davi higher, because he was brilliant in LTK, so for me, I agree. I still can't speak for Tim though, as this is just my interpretation.
    I don't quite understand the thesis. Was it harder for Dalton to act beside Davi because Davi was so much better at acting than Dalton?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    marymoss wrote:
    I don't quite understand the thesis. Was it harder for Dalton to act beside Davi because Davi was so much better at acting than Dalton?
    I have the same confusion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    marymoss wrote:

question is : was it tougher for Dalton to act against Davi than Krabbe because Davi was more talented than Krabbe ?

Yes, agreed.
    Dalton and Davi are equally good. Both give the best performances of the series and help make LTK the masterpiece it is!

So I guess this thesis when it comes down to it, is Koskov or Sanchez, which was better acted. Well I like Sanchez better so I guess it's an agree.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm not at all sure Davi is a better actor than Krabbe. Krabbe has been impressive in other roles, but I don't think Koskov is as well-written a part as Sanchez.

As it comes down to the writing rather than acting ability, I disagree with the thesis.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 111</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>James Bond: The Legacy is the most complete source of Bond history knowledge printed so far.</b></font>
    Hard to say, actually, Yes and No even

The Krabbe character, Koskov, seemed a little awkward to work with. While Jeroen himself is a fine actor, the character that year, well I'd be a little embarrassed if I was Dalton then and doing scenes, it all appeared a bit unsavory sometimes, but only on a very minor scale, I think if I was Dalton, and looking back, I'd be more comfortable working with Davi, the man was a bit of a powerhouse actor at the time, his Sanchez character had a real presence, and while Dalton may have been a little unsure of what to expect, or nervous even, but that seems doubtful, I just feel at the times, that out of the two Dalton would of been more uncomfortable working with the Koskov character than the Sanchez one, but at the same time, do feel Dalton would of been more comfortable perhaps working with Krabbe instead of Davi, at least in terms of pre production. It's a bit of a scrambled response, but that's just how I feel about it

(new thesis has arrived before I had a chance to finish, but there you are)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 111</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>James Bond: The Legacy is the most complete source of Bond history knowledge printed so far.</b></font>

I would assume so? But sadly i not own a copy so unable to make a decision? But having sais that? I will read with interest what others may have to say?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I've never read it so I'm unable to comment on this.

EDIT: Looking at the book on Amazon it was published in 2002. There is something better out there, I would think.
    Havn't read this one yet, though willing to check it out.

I have the "James Bond Encyclopedia" by Steven Jay Rubin. It was a good introduction into all things Bond, though the one sticky point is the author's personal reviews of the films. He seems to love Connery, but is unfavorable towards Moore and Dalton.
    Never read it. :(
    Wow, I'm amazed. :P It is such a good book! Needs an update (my edition goes as far as DAD) but I find it more addictive than caffeine, better written than the vast majority of books on Bond and offering pictures and anecdotes most other stuff (making ofs, other books) fail to include themselves. I was under the impression this is every Bond fan's bible. :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Nope, that would be the interwebs, and in particular, MI6-hq/community. Keeping the British End Up, so to speak...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Wow, I'm amazed. :P It is such a good book! Needs an update (my edition goes as far as DAD) but I find it more addictive than caffeine, better written than the vast majority of books on Bond and offering pictures and anecdotes most other stuff (making ofs, other books) fail to include themselves. I was under the impression this is every Bond fan's bible. :D

Those are Fleming's books. /:)