The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 186</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>CR and QOS are more influenced by 9/11 than SF.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>CR and QOS are more influenced by 9/11 than SF.</b></font>

I wouldn't say the Taliban are on the same level as Quantum, but agreed.

Skyfall is influenced by cyber-terrorism from groups like Anonymous and Wikileaks.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,856
    SaintMark wrote:

SKYFALL is now the highest grossing Bond film unadjusted. Thus continuing the 17 year streak of outgrossing the previous film.

QOS?

Anyway, it has proved it self even with the shorter run so agree.

On the new one agree for what is said above.
  • It's a good job that @Buttons is on a suspension, otherwise we'd be fighting over this thesis until next Thanksgiving..

Yes I concur also with the above. Skyfall isn't influenced by the attacks, less so than the immediate releases before it. It can't be argued

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Disagree. Whenever I see any of these films I never think once about 9/11 in the slightest.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 185</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Considering the shorter theatrical run of movies today, SF can be considered in the top 3 most successful Bond films ever.</b></font>

I would Agree with the thesis as obviously films are on a shorter run these days. It use to take almost 12 months for certain movies to be released for purchase but no longer.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree also. Though CR and QOS are a reboot of Bond, they do obviously take the terrorist angle for the plot line. Where as SF is more of of a personal issue for the villain.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Agree only with CR as it references 9/11 and it alludes to Le Chiffre making a fortune on the market from the aftermath of 9/11. I didn't pick up a connection with 9/11 in QOS and it's back to business as usual with SF.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 187</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>SF could have been the proper final film for Brosnan after DAD.</b></font>
    Disagree. His style and take on the role would not have matched this story.
    RogueAgent wrote:

I personally think 'Silva' is Brosnan's 007.

Blames the boss for ruining his career, always has to make an entrance, isn't subtle, kind of dated (in attire, anyways) and really cocky. Very bitter. He should've known 'the rules of the game.'
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Agree. SF seems like Bond is older and having doubts so a nearly 50 year old Brosnan would've been perfect.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Blames the boss for ruining his career, always has to make an entrance, isn't subtle, kind of dated (in attire, anyways) and really cocky. Very bitter. He should've known 'the rules of the game.'

Lots of that seems more like Connery to be honest. But I don't think Silva is anything like any of them.

Brosnan has every right to be bitter. And I don't think he is anymore, he did that documentary didn't he.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 187</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>SF could have been the proper final film for Brosnan after DAD.</b></font>

Disagree, and this is a real chance for the Brosnan bashers to once more have a go at him, so even the question reeks of bashing.

SF is a Craig movie while Brosnan should have has a movie more similar to FYEO to finish his reign with.

• Assuming Skyfall was made in 2004 and not 2012, then I'd absolutely agree- mostly because
    M's death would pack quite a punch with Brosnan (not that it wasn't great with Daniel's Bond)
    and much of Skyfall's plot benefits from an 'older' agent
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    so even the question reeks of bashing.

It was never meant to be read like that, @SaintMark. I really try to keep this thread clean and so I refuse to allow any bashing at all.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    so even the question reeks of bashing.

It was never meant to be read like that, @SaintMark. I really try to keep this thread clean and so I refuse to allow any bashing at all.

Relax Dimi I would never accuse you of such an action but the question invites this kind of behaviour, just like that silly thread "Could Brosnan return after Craig quits" even the most avid Brosnan fan would say NO on such a question and did so, but that does not stop certain people everytime.
    What I like in Skyfall is that they do actually acknowledge Bond's age. Daniel Craig is not young, nor does he look young, so all those comments about 'losing a step' and 'age is no guarantee of efficiency' make sense. Those comments would have made even MOORE sense in OP and AVTAK but hey, we can't have everything.

As far as Skyfall being Pierce Brosnan's final Bond film - no. I don't think Brosnan could have pulled it off, nor would it have made sense for Brosnan's Bond to be so affected over
    M's death.
    Craig's Bond had a love/hate relationship with Judi Dench's M, so his reaction is warranted. Brosnan never really had that relationship with M, so it probably would have seen out of place.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I personally think 'Silva' is Brosnan's 007.

Lol. but in a sense I agree. Craig's Bond is completely different from Brosnans'. I think even the story wouldn't hold in Brosnan's era. We had M claim he was a dinasour in GE, but that was becouse spying as a whole might be 'redundand', whilst now the question was ' can field agents be thought of beeing redundant, replaced by machines and sigint (signals intelligence)?'
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 188</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>John Glen would not have been a suitable director for Wood's MR script.</b></font>
    Agree. Glen's films were a tad gritty although they contained silly sound effect moments particularly in the Moore films. No idea how MR would have turned out had he done it?
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Let's get started with our first discussion.

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 001</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>Martin Campbell saved the Bond franchise twice</b></font>

Over to you!

I agree with you %100!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Half agree.
  • Thesis #187 - There's no way Brosnan could of done Skyfall. Ok, it's feasible in the sense, but it's as though asking Moore to return for License to Kill or Connery for The Spy Who Loved Me

Thesis #188 - Unless Glen actually did it, we'll never know, but Lewis Gilbert did a good enough job of it, so can't say for sure. I'll disagree with thesis, as I'm happy with who did it back then and see no reason to change

Heh, one of the above responses, answered a response to Thesis #1 ? /:)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Half agree.

Perhaps you could elaborate?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 188</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>John Glen would not have been a suitable director for Wood's MR script.</b></font>

No, MR had no suitable script for Glen. Or for a Bond film.

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 189</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>David Arnold would have been unable to score SF in accordance to Mendes' preferences.</b></font>
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 189</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>David Arnold would have been unable to score SF in accordance to Mendes' preferences.</b></font>

Agreed. Mendes like EoN productions, likes to reuse talents he's familiar with and has frequently collaborated with.
    So should Mendes return, it's very likely that so will Newman. ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2012 Posts: 16,331
    DarthDimi wrote:
    So should Mendes return, it's very likely that so will Newman. ;-)

Yes, unless BB or MGW interject with their own suggestion, but it's 99.9% likely.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Mendes could have worked closely with Arnold to get what he wanted, though he is happier with Newman, it seems.