The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

Newman's score has grown on me immensely since my first listening - I have to admit that I found it rather middle-of-the-road before I saw the film. After viewing Skyfall, however, I realized how perfectly the score fit in the film. I decided to give the soundtrack another listen and loved it.

Could Arnold have done it? I bet he could have. Did Newman do it better? Probably.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 189</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>David Arnold would have been unable to score SF in accordance to Mendes' preferences.</b></font>

Agree. As a precedent had been set with the movie before QOS. Forster was allowed to bring in his own team of people too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>David Arnold would have been unable to score SF in accordance to Mendes' preferences.</b></font>

Agree. As a precedent had been set with the movie before QOS. Forster was allowed to bring in his own team of people too.

Yeah. I do wonder though, how Kleinman's titles would have looked compared to Forster's team.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 190</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Mixing the original Bond Theme recording with Little Nellie's air fight wasn't Hunt's best call.</b></font>
    Disagree i think. I have never really thought about it like that before? Guess i will have to rewatch it? But back then it was the action set piece music for Bond! Or the 007 theme? So i guess he went with what was expected from the public?
    But then why didn't Hunt ask Barry to record a new action piece or to rerecord the Theme? Barry would have done that. (As can be read in The Music Of James Bond, he was repulsed by the choice to take that old recording of DN, which wasn't up to the technical qualities of his score for YOLT, and would have scored something if so desired.)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    But then why didn't Hunt ask Barry to record a new action piece or to rerecord the Theme? Barry would have done that. (As can be read in The Music Of James Bond, he was repulsed by the choice to take that old recording of DN, which wasn't up to the technical qualities of his score for YOLT, and would have scored something if so desired.)

Ah? Not sure on that as i was only born in 1974. ;) I suppose it was to do with all the Bond fever at the time perhaps? Especially after the performance that Thunderball had put in!
    You're not making a lot of sense to me, friend. ;-) In what manner would the Bond fever stop Barry from rerecording the Bond Theme? I'm not suggesting he necessarily had to compose a new track but at least have the original track replayed to match the sound quality of the rest of the film's score.

(Also, I was born in '82.)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    You're not making a lot of sense to me, friend. ;-) In what manner would the Bond fever stop Barry from rerecording the Bond Theme? I'm not suggesting he necessarily had to compose a new track but at least have the original track replayed to match the sound quality of the rest of the film's score.

(Also, I was born in '82.)

:)) Perhaps i have had a JD too many and i have only had one! ;)) Will have totake another look DD as i cannot recall it to mind although i obviously know the scene.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You should be drinking proper whisky then. That has always been one of the things I couldn't fathom about Fleming's Bond: drinking Bourbon and branchwater! Even though he's from Scotland!
    Anyway, back onatopp of things, I completely agree on this thesis. It was lasyness, as so much of the making of YOLT was lasiness. Pity, the sequenc would've been far better with better scriptwriting, a better stunt coordiantor and a better score.
    Anyway ,I'll poor myself another Chieftain's Laphroaig. Strong, but good.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote:

Probably agreed, but I still think Arnold's music is superior to Newman's entry. I am honestly intrigued as to what Arnold could have done with the Shanghai and Macao scenes.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 190</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Mixing the original Bond Theme recording with Little Nellie's air fight wasn't Hunt's best call.</b></font>

It worked pretty well in the scene, but I suppose it would have been cool to hear a new rendition.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Probably agreed, but I still think Arnold's music is superior to Newman's entry. I am honestly intrigued as to what Arnold could have done with the Shanghai and Macao scenes.

If Arnorld had brought in the kind of music he composed for Bregenz, then wow, I think the Macao and Shanghai scenes would have played even better! I'm all for that.

You know, I've really come to appreciate the QoS score. It's more a collection of seperate moodbuilding suites than a continuous, consistent composition. It hardly ever tries to scream louder than the sound effects in the film (an obvious 'mistake' in some of the previous films IMO) and it does bring some enigmatic flavours to it.

Had they announced a different composer after TWINE or DAD, I would have jumped up and screamed off my lungs in excitement. Now, however, I was fairly indifferent to the notion of Arnold not scoring SF. I didn't protest, but I wasn't asking for it either. That's how much I appreciate his score for CR and QoS.

DarthDimi wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

If Arnorld had brought in the kind of music he composed for Bregenz, then wow, I think the Macao and Shanghai scenes would have played even better! I'm all for that.

You know, I've really come to appreciate the QoS score. It's more a collection of seperate moodbuilding suites than a continuous, consistent composition. It hardly ever tries to scream louder than the sound effects in the film (an obvious 'mistake' in some of the previous films IMO) and it does bring some enigmatic flavours to it.

Had they announced a different composer after TWINE or DAD, I would have jumped up and screamed off my lungs in excitement. Now, however, I was fairly indifferent to the notion of Arnold not scoring SF. I didn't protest, but I wasn't asking for it either. That's how much I appreciate his score for CR and QoS.

I agree with you there, he grew more and more as a composer with each entry, and that's saying a lot considering how good he already was in the 90's. After all, people did think that he was the next John Williams after Stargate, ID4 and Godzilla - a comparison which meant it was no coincidence that Roland Emmerich replaced him with Williams on The Patriot.

He receives a lot of flack for extremely crappy reasons on here, and "Night at the Opera" proves all the naysayers wrong. Not to mention "City of Lovers" too!
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 191</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond 24 could, like TB, pick up on some loose threads from QoS, retaining the style of SF at the same time.</b></font>
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2012 Posts: 4,447
    Re: SF could have been the proper final film for Brosnan after DAD.

Yes and mabey better on some points too. The only reasen that i can't say 100% yes is that some litle detaid should have been changed or extented. But Brosnan handle earlier with almoost the same subject with TMND so that should not be a problem. I missing a litle bit of more drama in Skyfall and in specialy in the end and also because i know there can do better as there did with TMND/Twine.

re: Bond 24 could, like TB, pick up on some loose threads from QoS, retaining the style of SF at the same time.

Agree.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond 24 could, like TB, pick up on some loose threads from QoS, retaining the style of SF at the same time.</b></font>

Could? It better.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Could? It better.

Hear hear!

DarthDimi wrote:

COMPLETELY AGREE. This is sincerely what i am hoping for! [-O<
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It could do and should do! The next film would be all the better for it, I'd like to think.
    DarthDimi wrote:

That's definitely how they should do it, anyway.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 23,561
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 192</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>OHMSS's climactic storming of Piz Gloria would have been better if unscored.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>OHMSS's climactic storming of Piz Gloria would have been better if unscored.</b></font>

I like it very much as it is,

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:

I disagree. Short scenes like the fight scene with the "Gate Crasher" work well with no music. But a long scene like the Piz Gloria invasion needed a good strong dose of music. Gunfire and Explosions for that long of time would have been boring. The scene is perfect the way it is. John Barry always knows what he's doing. ;)
    DarthDimi wrote:

I think it would be worse without the music. I love that scene!

DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree, i like the sequence alot!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I think it shows off a great final use of the original James Bond theme. What a way to end the '60's. It also helps put beyond doubt that Lazenby is Bond, in my mind.
    191: I agree, Bond 24 should be an epic adventure against Quantum.

192: Disagree. It is great as it is.
  • Thesis #191 I don't like to talk about Bond 24, but that's not a bad idea, and certainly an area to explore. Agree with that well enough

Thesis #192 No, the music goes well with the action scenes. I couldn't imagine it without some of the dramatic background scores. Disagree with this
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,561
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 193</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Regardless of their age, there's a maximum amount of Bond films any single Bond actor can do before losing the audience's interest.</b></font>
  • 192- Disagree. I love it the way it is.

193- Hmmm, not sure. I suppose I'll agree, because I think you need a bit of variety in Bond (and how the actor plays him), and too much of the same can get boring.