Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 4,600
    So many options here. I don't think he has to save the World (the nuclear thing has been done). If there are 200 people on the train and the audience and engaged in their plight, that would be enough IMHO. In addition, team members could also be on the train. I referenced "Runaway Train" earlier where the hero saves his two friends and the stakes are plenty high enough there. I can imagine Hunt sacrificing himself for Ilsa? As for Reeves, he is 56 so hard to see him taking over from Cruise but who knows. Cruise is such a huge star, can anyone fill his shoes?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah personally I don't see him ever shutting the door on MI finally onscreen (by Hunt dying for example), but I may well be wrong about that.
    Nothing interesting to write as the article is behind a paywall, but the production is still filming in the Åndalsnes area.
    Tom Cruise has confirmed that the plan is to do do filming in Norway for Mission: Impossible VIII. Minister of Culture, Abid Raja, visited the set today and told VG that they (the production) have also been looking at locations in Hordaland, Finnmark, Lofoten, and Vesterålen.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Not M:I related, but quite a big news:

SpaceX confirms October 2021 launch, with Tom Cruise & Doug Liman as passengers.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,280
    Tom Cruise doing another stunt, this time in Rauma – which didn't go as planned by the looks of it.

Also, a photo from a paywall article by Åndalsnes Avis:
    ERL_7126.JPG
    The production has wrapped up in Norway. Italy next.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Some possible Skyfall influence there I see :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Some possible Skyfall influence there I see :)

And Octopussy too, possibly. :-D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,951
    Blimey, what's going on there? To be honest, what with a helicopter involved with a train, it looks more like a Mission Impossible '96 influence than a Bond one! :)

Venice will be interesting because weren't they planning to film in the festival of masks last time? Although movies are back in production I'm assuming crowd shots are generally out the window...? (I guess they will actually be able to wear masks onscreen in that sequence though so that might help! :) )
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, I cannot wait for this sequence. M:I showing how its done in the action realm once again.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,280
    Here's a video someone filmed of the same train sequence:

https://www.vgtv.no/video/205834/her-slaass-tom-cruise-paa-togtak-i-romsdalen
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Lovely, thank you.
    I can't quite make it out- are they on safety lines on the train? I do wonder how they do those shots safely. Even in Skyfall I'm sure there are shots where Craig in up there too, and standing on a train roof isn't a great idea!
    edited October 2020 Posts: 40,472
    mtm wrote: »

Lovely, thank you.
    I can't quite make it out- are they on safety lines on the train? I do wonder how they do those shots safely. Even in Skyfall I'm sure there are shots where Craig in up there too, and standing on a train roof isn't a great idea!

Yes. There are similar shots of Craig and Rapace atop the train, attached to cables.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Lovely, thank you.

Yes. There are similar shots of Craig and Rapace atop the train, attached to cables.

Ah great, thanks.

Here are photos of Tom in his big action trousers, and with Hayley Atwell too:

EDIT: I've changed the link as the Twitter one I put on had more pics but the account had a sweary name.

Lovely, thank you.

Can't tell if they are on safety lines, but I imagine they must be!

Lovely, thank you.

Ah great, thanks.

Here are photos of Tom in his big action trousers, and with Hayley Atwell too:

EDIT: I've changed the link as the Twitter one I put on had more pics but the account had a sweary name.

Interesting. I've been trying to keep an eye out for anything posted by Norwegian media, but this is the first I see of any main cast besides Cruise on location.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Damn, I cannot wait for this sequence. M:I showing how its done in the action realm once again.

Honestly! Me too. I wonder if it's wrong to get excited for a Mission Impossible film, the same way I'm for a Bond film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Honestly! Me too. I wonder if it's wrong to get excited for a Mission Impossible film, the same way I'm for a Bond film.

How can it be wrong? It's all about enjoyment- as long as it's legal there's nothing wrong with liking what you like! :)

Not in the slightest. This series has been killing it for me lately, whereas Bond hasn't blown me away since 2008. No harm in enjoying both or preferring one over the other.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Being excited for literally any upcoming film is something to be savored at the moment.
    Yeah, I suppose so @mtm, @Creasy47 & @CraigMooreOHMSS :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Being excited for literally any upcoming film is something to be savored at the moment.

And this is two films! :)
    Those pictures/videos have me real excited for the new films, had to throw on Fallout yet again. Simply amazing.
    Those pictures/videos have me real excited for the new films, had to throw on Fallout yet again. Simply amazing.

Me too. Those pics make it look like a classy affair again.

Yeah. The pace of Fallout is electric. And knowing that the upcoming sequels might top Fallout, makes it all the more exciting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Proper classic of the genre I think. I suspect I’ve watched it more times than I can guess!

Yeah. The pace of Fallout is electric. And knowing that the upcoming sequels might top Fallout, makes it all the more exciting.

Absolutely. These initial stunts alone look mindblowing, I can't wait to see what else is in store.

Proper classic of the genre I think. I suspect I’ve watched it more times than I can guess!

I've certainly lost count myself.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the only flaw I’ve found in it from watching it far too much is that the Halo jump sequence is a bit unnecessary in the plot (although good for character-building and the audience are ready for a big stunt there because for better or worse MI films promise them now and it’s better to get one out of the way early). Other than that it’s pretty much perfect.
    I think the only flaw I’ve found in it from watching it far too much is that the Halo jump sequence is a bit unnecessary in the plot (although good for character-building and the audience are ready for a big stunt there because for better or worse MI films promise them now and it’s better to get one out of the way early). Other than that it’s pretty much perfect.

Coincidentally enough, and perhaps it's because I saw it mentioned around here recently so it was buried in my mind, but that stood out to me for the first time during today's viewing. The only argument behind it I could find is that they either didn't have access to the event itself or there's no way they could've flown, landed in Paris and made it to the event by the midnight deadline.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, the deadline thing is how they make it work, but even then they have to come up with a particular, rather fluffed, explanation as to why it needs to be a halo jump in particular and not a normal one. Really it's all something which makes more sense for a high security military target and not a massive, friendly and accessible city!
    You do kind of wonder if they'd just got a faster plane they probably wouldn't have needed to do all that :)

Plus the original version as shot had yet another big crazy stunt as Tom swung from the rafters of the building! A bit too much and wisely dropped.