Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There is an element of Cruise enjoying doing these crazy things, for sure. I think he just wants to get them made before he decides its time to pull the plug on Hunt. It'll be strange seeing him go back to doing dramas or smaller indie-style films (for a while, at least!) once he's into his 60s.
  • There is an element of Cruise enjoying doing these crazy things, for sure. I think he just wants to get them made before he decides its time to pull the plug on Hunt. It'll be strange seeing him go back to doing dramas or smaller indie-style films (for a while, at least!) once he's into his 60s.

I remember reading in an article somewhere that Cruise ideally wants to get filming completed on both films before he turns 60.

Combined with the fact that this is a massive two-parter bringing back pretty most of the entire franchise's supporting cast, makes me think that Ethan will either die or retire by the end.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,962
    There is an element of Cruise enjoying doing these crazy things, for sure. I think he just wants to get them made before he decides its time to pull the plug on Hunt. It'll be strange seeing him go back to doing dramas or smaller indie-style films (for a while, at least!) once he's into his 60s.

I remember reading in an article somewhere that Cruise ideally wants to get filming completed on both films before he turns 60.

Combined with the fact that this is a massive two-parter bringing back pretty most of the entire franchise's supporting cast, makes me think that Ethan will either die or retire by the end.

I think the only confirmed return (beyond the standard team of the last few) is Kitteridge, isn't it?
    Another view of the ramp (from rbnett.no).

PSX_20200902_114940.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In this NRK article Cruise himself talks about the stunt to reporters and locals.

PjdqWGShmGVU9C0UygGmfgHqLciGsA3iiwaYqOdP_2zw.jpg

I see they have to measure their fever daily. Must be hard to work with a fever. And they all have one?

Strange wording by NRK.

But not surprising. They are at that level.
    In this NRK article Cruise himself talks about the stunt to reporters and locals.

PjdqWGShmGVU9C0UygGmfgHqLciGsA3iiwaYqOdP_2zw.jpg

I see they have to measure their fever daily. Must be hard to work with a fever. And they all have one?

Strange wording by NRK.

But not surprising. They are at that level.

Unfortunately, yes. You'll often find sentences as bad as this one in articles published on their website.
    Tom Cruise has moved on to the next stunt, in Åndalsnes (a couple of hours north of Hellesylt).

tom%20cruise%203.jpg

Article from the Daily Mail, with more images.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ooh; was @patb right with their guess about him parachuting onto a train?
    mtm wrote: »
    Ooh; was @patb right with their guess about him parachuting onto a train?

It would be a Tom Cruise thing to do, wouldn't it? :D
    This article is behind a paywall, but you do get to see this image, which is quite cool:
    NTB_8PPIVKXgKzI.jpg
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,600
    Sometimes, the context of the stunt is just as important as the stunt itself. With the Halo jump, it just seemed to be not essential to the plot (weren't they meeting some guy in a toilet?). The success of the stunt has to mean more than the survival of the character IMHO. Many trains run along the bottom of valleys with no easy alternative access so it would be hard to get to the train. Either Hunt is running away from something or toward something. Toward the train is just a guess but it would be superb.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is quite a photo!
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,293
    And here are more photos.

Edit: and a video clip. The first article has also been updated with a small clip.

Edit 2: And another view of the stunt!
    Great clip. Owing to our conversation above, I can't see how they can't put an insane amount of VFX into that shot if he's supposed to be driving off a cliff.
    Great clip. Owing to our conversation above, I can't see how they can't put an insane amount of VFX into that shot if he's supposed to be driving off a cliff.

It will be interesting to see the final result. A bit strange if there's a big ramp there though, but who knows what they have planned.

Photo from rbnett.no (article behind paywall), and NRK:

DSC_2354.JPG
    3VhT6bg0FZYvPdObhAvALg8qaWkQ4Lc2xu5dG5afUn2g.jpg
    Tom Cruise working in Åndalsnes: There is extensive activity at the freight terminal in Åndalsnes Monday. Lead actor Tom Cruise came to town with his own helicopter. About fifty people are working with preparations for the filming around the railway wagons.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watched the film footage of the motorcycle jump stunt by Tom, total respect.
    Looks like we are in for some "train roof" action (as in the original). The stunt work creates unbeatable PR in advance of the movie. I wonder if we are seeing stunts for the first or the second movie or the Director has not decided yet?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    That looks like an awesome stunt. I'm so excited to see how they try to top Fallout in terms of the action because it was phenomenal and truly game changing
    A segment from NRK's Norge i dag shows the bridge where M:I production are about to shoot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Keanu Reeves reportedly being eyed to play a major role in a future Mission: Impossible movie.

It’s unclear which one it’ll be, and we don’t yet know if it’s a villainous part or not, but obviously, Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves sharing the screen in an action-packed blockbuster is a mouthwatering prospect, and he’d easily be the biggest star to join the franchise in a long time.

Of course, there’ve been whispers of Cruise bowing out of the series after the next two outings, but if he decides to remain on board a bit longer, then fans would no doubt go wild over seeing two of cinema’s greatest action heroes in the same film.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/keanu-reeves-reportedly-eyed-mission-impossible-series/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,962
    That would be good. It is quite strange that Cruise hasn’t really appeared alongside another big movie star for quite some time. Maybe Cameron Diaz was the last in Knight & Day? He used to do movies with the Jack Nicholsons etc.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    He played with Russell Crowe in The Mummy 2017 and if that not happend i think Russell Crowe can have get a part in this franchise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    M_Balje wrote: »
    He played with Russell Crowe in The Mummy 2017 and if that not happend i think Russell Crowe can have get a part in this franchise.

Ah yes, good point.

Crowe would be good in MI, yeah.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Crowe could still sign on for an M:I film. He spoke very highly of Cruise while promoting The Mummy. And Crowe does not seem like the type of guy to throw bullsh*t around. Seems like a very upfront guy.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    I'd love him in an M:I film, for sure. And he deserves better projects than the ones he's been as of late.
    There's a position available as IMF Director after Fallout. Though perhaps that's being reserved for Ethan Hunt himself, even if I can't really see him as a retiree!
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Why did I get the impression Erica Sloane would transfer from the CIA to the IMF, as the new Director?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's a position available as IMF Director after Fallout. Though perhaps that's being reserved for Ethan Hunt himself, even if I can't really see him as a retiree!

Yeah I'm not sure what's happening with that. Do you remember in the Fallout podcasts McQ said he was kind of setting up Sloane to be a new antagonist for Hunt, sometimes against him, sometimes for him, which the next director could either choose to pick up or not? I'm not aware that she's been announced as being in these new ones so it seems like even he couldn't find a way to use that idea!

I guess it's possible Kitteridge has made Secretary.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Keanu Reeves reportedly being eyed to play a major role in a future Mission: Impossible movie.

It’s unclear which one it’ll be, and we don’t yet know if it’s a villainous part or not, but obviously, Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves sharing the screen in an action-packed blockbuster is a mouthwatering prospect, and he’d easily be the biggest star to join the franchise in a long time.

Of course, there’ve been whispers of Cruise bowing out of the series after the next two outings, but if he decides to remain on board a bit longer, then fans would no doubt go wild over seeing two of cinema’s greatest action heroes in the same film.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/keanu-reeves-reportedly-eyed-mission-impossible-series/

Oh man, what a dream come true that would be.
  • There's a position available as IMF Director after Fallout. Though perhaps that's being reserved for Ethan Hunt himself, even if I can't really see him as a retiree!

I reckon they might be setting up a heroic sacrifice end for the character. They made a point in the last one of saying he can’t bring himself to retire while there’s still bad guys to stop. The natural end of that imo would be him saving the world with some big, death defying stunt, but dying in the process.

I thought it was a shame they killed Alec Baldwin off in the last one. The series has really lacked an M type figure imo. But Crowe could be a good replacement.

Could be a good Bond villain actually, if MI doesn’t snap him up. I’ve always liked him. He’s got that old school, Connery esque machismo about him, which not that many actors have these days. Or maybe a Felix/Mathis type ally would be better.