Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 17,293
    mtm wrote: »
    The Superman movies can be a bit jarring like that too: like the little American town in Superman II that looks like it's in Surrey :D

Did they film those shots in Surrey?

I was just guessing: but I just looked it up and, yes, it's Chobham Common in Surrey :D

Not a million miles away from where Skyfall (the actual house) was! :)

Haha! They should have done a better job making it look like an American town, it seems! :D

Well I think the town set is fairly good: I just recognise the countryside, but that might just be because I'm local- I'm sure to most people watching it's more than close enough.

It's no doubt different when your a local and used to seeing those locations.
    Was there a particular reason for the Skyfall production not to build the Skyfall Lodge in Scotland? Logistics?

Yeah I would imagine that's exactly it: there's no reason to be in the middle of nowhere if you don't have to be. If you're in the wilds of Scotland everything costs more to ship there, you've got bigger costs for crew transport and lodging, you can't get stuff there as quickly if you need it etc. If you're within an hour or so of London then it all becomes a lot easier.
    I actually visited the set when they had the house built and Hankley Common is a surprisingly good double for Scotland - heather everywhere; they chose very well. And the house looked incredible! :)

Yes, I imagine they look towards solutions like that to cut costs when needed. Even with productions as big as the Bond films!

That's cool! How close to the house did you get?

Right up to it! :)

P1090273-copy.jpg

P1090256.jpg

P1090268.jpg

Nice! Must feel special to have been right next to an actual set!

Interesting; thanks!

There will no doubt be more articles covering the stunts, so I'll make sure to post anything here. :-)
    In this NRK article Cruise himself talks about the stunt to reporters and locals.

PjdqWGShmGVU9C0UygGmfgHqLciGsA3iiwaYqOdP_2zw.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Mission Impossible 7 seems already filled with call-backs/homages (either deliberate or not) to some of my favorite Bond sequences. The motorcycle jump off the cliff reminds me of the GE PTS, the hot air ballon reminds me of the climax of OP, and that castle/mansion reminds of the SF climax. I cannot wait to see what else Tom Cruise has in store for us in this latest installment.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mission Impossible 7 seems already filled with call-backs/homages (either deliberate or not) to some of my favorite Bond sequences. The motorcycle jump off the cliff reminds me of the GE PTS, the hot air ballon reminds me of the climax of OP, and that castle/mansion reminds of the SF climax. I cannot wait to see what else Tom Cruise has in store for us in this latest installment.

Yeah, it seems Tom has a lot of love for dear James. Excited to see how they approach that sequence in particular.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Superman movies can be a bit jarring like that too: like the little American town in Superman II that looks like it's in Surrey :D

I was just guessing: but I just looked it up and, yes, it's Chobham Common in Surrey :D

Haha! They should have done a better job making it look like an American town, it seems! :D

Well I think the town set is fairly good: I just recognise the countryside, but that might just be because I'm local- I'm sure to most people watching it's more than close enough.

Was there a particular reason for the Skyfall production not to build the Skyfall Lodge in Scotland? Logistics?

Yeah I would imagine that's exactly it: there's no reason to be in the middle of nowhere if you don't have to be. If you're in the wilds of Scotland everything costs more to ship there, you've got bigger costs for crew transport and lodging, you can't get stuff there as quickly if you need it etc. If you're within an hour or so of London then it all becomes a lot easier.
    I actually visited the set when they had the house built and Hankley Common is a surprisingly good double for Scotland - heather everywhere; they chose very well. And the house looked incredible! :)

Yes, I imagine they look towards solutions like that to cut costs when needed. Even with productions as big as the Bond films!

P1090273-copy.jpg

P1090256.jpg

P1090268.jpg

Yeah I was amazed; they didn't mind you wandering right up to it. The quality of the thing was amazing: you'd never dream it wasn't real.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,962
    In this NRK article Cruise himself talks about the stunt to reporters and locals.

Very cool! I wonder what the reason for jumping off a ramp on a mountain would be...? Needing to access somewhere far away from the mountain but not able to take a plane over?
    Mission Impossible 7 seems already filled with call-backs/homages (either deliberate or not) to some of my favorite Bond sequences.

Weirdly I think he's looking more Great Escape there considering the surroundings! :)

P1090273-copy.jpg

P1090256.jpg

P1090268.jpg

Yeah I was amazed; they didn't mind you wandering right up to it. The quality of the thing was amazing: you'd never dream it wasn't real.

Interesting! When it comes to sets, I sometimes wonder how real they look up close, as opposed to on screen where they can have done all kinds of digital adjustments to make it look the way they want it.

Very cool! I wonder what the reason for jumping off a ramp on a mountain would be...? Needing to access somewhere far away from the mountain but not able to take a plane over?

Who knows? It will no doubt look great on screen though. :-D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm most excited to see what they do with Pom Klementieff's femme fatale.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I see they have to measure their fever daily. Must be hard to work with a fever. And they all have one?

I see they have to measure their fever daily. Must be hard to work with a fever. And they all have one?

Strange wording by NRK.
    Pure guess - He will parachute down and land on top of a moving train?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    patb wrote: »
    Pure guess - He will parachute down and land on top of a moving train?

And Cruise will then go to the control cabin and operate the train himself - which he spent the entire lockdown period to learn how to become a train conductor. ;-)
    This photo, and a few more of the rig Cruise will jump from, can be found in this Dagbladet article.

72807611.jpg?imageId=72807611&width=1058&height=604&compression=80
    I like the idea of a runaway train. There is something 50/60s spy nostalga about trains and obviously featured in the original plus (pure assumption) , it provides a different type of countdown to disaster and one that can actually be seen as distance rather than the cliched number ticking down. (Thunderbirds did a great episode on a ruanway monorail plus the obvious John Voight connection - I digress)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I presume we won't see the ramp in the movie...? I can't quite think how they'd explain that.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 8,034
    I imagine it'll be digitally removed and they'll cover the physical logic behind the jump with inserts. They could extend the cliff face, maybe?
    More photos from yesterday. It must be fun having Tom Cruise doing stunts right next to your own garden!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I imagine it'll be digitally removed and they'll cover the physical logic behind the jump with inserts. They could extend the cliff face, maybe?

I guess so, yeah. I hope they keep the digital tinkering to a minimum though: I thought the CG storm really spoilt the parachute jump in the last one.

If Tom has any trouble and somehow rides off the sides of that ramp though (very unlikely I know) he's really dead..!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    More photos from yesterday. It must be fun having Tom Cruise doing stunts right next to your own garden!

Hur hur...It says 'I FARTA' :>

(I am a child)

I thought the CG storm really spoilt the parachute jump in the last one.

I agree - my least favourite sequence from that film. I know the lightning was a key part of the scene but visually it took a lot away from it. It made a potentially very cool, very real feeling sequence feel very fake. Always makes me wonder why they bothered going through all that effort.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 440

I guess so, yeah. I hope they keep the digital tinkering to a minimum though: I thought the CG storm really spoilt the parachute jump in the last one.

If Tom has any trouble and somehow rides off the sides of that ramp though (very unlikely I know) he's really dead..!

Most of the stunts in the MI films have a generous amount of CGI applied, it's just rarely that noticeable. That Paris jump was actually done in the Arabian desert, the entire city and sky were computer-generated.

Even the famous plane-hanging scene from Rogue Nation had to have the harness painted out of every shot, so Tom's torso and the plane door are both mostly CG.

Hur hur...It says 'I FARTA' :>

(I am a child)

Fart means speed in Norwegian :D

You can translate "I FARTA" to: "On the move" or similar.

I agree - my least favourite sequence from that film. I know the lightning was a key part of the scene but visually it took a lot away from it. It made a potentially very cool, very real feeling sequence feel very fake. Always makes me wonder why they bothered going through all that effort.

Even though at some points, most of the shots in a stunt sequence may be computer-generated, doing it for real provides extremely valuable reference material for the CG artists. A good rule of thumb is, the more footage they have that was shot on the set, the better the CG looks.

Compare that sequence to something like the ending fight in Black Panther, which had basically no reference material shot, and the difference is rather stark.

I agree that the lighting did take me out of the scene, though.

Even though at some points, most of the shots in a stunt sequence may be computer-generated, doing it for real provides extremely valuable reference material for the CG artists. A good rule of thumb is, the more footage they have that was shot on the set, the better the CG looks.

Yeah, I completely understand that for sure. But I'm certain that they could have done regular parachute jumps instead of halo jumps and nobody would be any the wiser.

Hell, Cavill didn't even do a halo jump because of insurance reasons - which means they digitally stitched shots together or put his face on a stuntman for the scene.
    IMHO, the key to great stunt work is to put the human at the centre. It worked wonderfully with the Atlas but, I agree, with the halo jump, there was just too much going on. I think/hope they have learned from this. The current stunt looks far more "stripped" and looks bang on the money.

Yeah, I completely understand that for sure. But I'm certain that they could have done regular parachute jumps instead of halo jumps and nobody would be any the wiser.

Hell, Cavill didn't even do a halo jump because of insurance reasons - which means they digitally stitched shots together or put his face on a stuntman for the scene.

I have a feeling that those kinds of expensive and crazy stunts are allowed, not only to keep Tom Cruise happy but also to use as marketing tools.

Both MI and the new Top Gun have hundreds of CG shots, but only market the practical elements because that's a somewhat unique selling point in our world of CGI-heavy blockbusters.

Of course, these movies are just as CGI heavy as the rest, and even a movie like Tenet has hundreds of CG shots in it, but that's not what grabs headlines.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah the reverse shot of him jumping from the plane looks amazing, but then it becomes a CG fest and you sort of no longer believe he's doing a real jump any more (maybe that's not quite fair- I don't think anyone has been able to fake skydiving yet. The attempt in QoS was probably the best I've seen and that still looks poor)
    And that's if you ignore the fact they're doing a HALO jump to get into Paris, which is just silly. Just go to the airport you weirdos.

What is really fun about that scene is the bit where the camera follows Tom to walk to the open back of the plane and the black bars at the top and bottom slowly widen out to bring it to IMAX format :)

Yeah I never understand why they say they were doing HALO jumps..? A HALO jump looks no different from a normal jump onscreen, especially if you're editing the landing off.

Yeah the reverse shot of him jumping from the plane looks amazing, but then it becomes a CG fest and you sort of no longer believe he's doing a real jump any more (maybe that's not quite fair- I don't think anyone has been able to fake skydiving yet. The attempt in QoS was probably the best I've seen and that still looks poor)
    And that's if you ignore the fact they're doing a HALO jump to get into Paris, which is just silly. Just go to the airport you weirdos.

What is really fun about that scene is the bit where the camera follows Tom to walk to the open back of the plane and the black bars at the top and bottom slowly widen out to bring it to IMAX format :)

Yeah I never understand why they say they were doing HALO jumps..? A HALO jump looks no different from a normal jump onscreen, especially if you're editing the landing off.

Would bet good money on this kind of thing being Cruise's enticement for doing these films. He seems like an adrenaline junkie and having a studio foot the bill for all his expensive stunts must be very satisfying.

I also loved the IMAX aspect ratio shift, it normally irritates me in most films but they found a clever way to integrate it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Would bet good money on this kind of thing being Cruise's enticement for doing these films. He seems like an adrenaline junkie and having a studio foot the bill for all his expensive stunts must be very satisfying.

Oh I think his motivation is making movies: he seems to genuinely love them and wants to bring an incredible experience to the audience.

Oh I think his motivation is making movies: he seems to genuinely love them and wants to bring an incredible experience to the audience.

Oh of course, I just meant that being allowed to do crazy stunts might be part of what keeps drawing him to keep making more of these specific films and not, say, American Made 2.

(If you haven't seen American Made btw, I highly recommend it. Great flick.)