Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Am I the only one who thinks Haley Atwell seems very similar to Rebecca Ferguson in several ways?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tom Cruise films car scenes for Mission Impossible 7 in Rome
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Haley Atwell seems very similar to Rebecca Ferguson in several ways?
    Not too much as themselves. I just hope their characters are well distinguished from one another.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,980
    That is extraordinary that an A list actor can actually do top level stunts, stun driving and physical acting. It adds immensely to the films .
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Pom Klementieff.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,375
    talos7 wrote: »
    That is extraordinary that an A list actor can actually do top level stunts, stun driving and physical acting. It adds immensely to the films .

I grew up watching Hal Needham films, I will take real stunts over CGI every time. Tom is an inspiration.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Pom Klementieff.
    I can’t wait to see her in this film!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wonder how he's doing those slides with one hand? Is she pulling the handbrake?

The lack of doors is very curious too: they don't look like they've been ripped off during the chase. I wonder if they're doing some complex camera move into the car or something.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 440
    mtm wrote: »
    I wonder how he's doing those slides with one hand? Is she pulling the handbrake?

The lack of doors is very curious too: they don't look like they've been ripped off during the chase. I wonder if they're doing some complex camera move into the car or something.

That's most likely it; even the "practical" stunts of the MI films still require a lot of CGI. Not to mention that they likely want an easy way for Tom and co. to exit the vehicle if something goes wrong.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    That footage looks amazing. It's always great to see Tom do his own stunts, it adds so much to the action. Can't wait to see where they take the series next
    Tom Cruise films car scenes for Mission Impossible 7 in Rome

The man is just simply awesome! ^:)^
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Bassett Returns For More “Mission: Impossible”

https://www.darkhorizons.com/bassett-returns-for-more-mission-impossible/
    Angela Bassett will reprise her role of CIA Director Erika Sloane in at least one of the upcoming seventh and eighth installments of the “Mission: Impossible” franchise reports Coming Soon.

The seventh film in the series is currently shooting. Bassett first appeared in the sixth film, “Mission: Impossible Fallout,” with her minion Walker (Henry Cavill) proving to be one of the film’s key antagonists.

Out doing promotional rounds for Pixar’s “Soul,” Bassett revealed that plans are in the works to have her reprise her role but she wouldn’t say which film she would be appearing in. The actress also expressed excitement about returning to the franchise
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah that's cool, I thought it was sort of strange she hadn't been mentioned.
    Mash-up time -- bring in James Spader's "Red" from The Blacklist !!! I know...I've been cooped up too long...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    James Spader would be an awesome M:I villain.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,959
    This is fun (weirdly they seem to have returned to Italy to shoot more of this car chase scene judging by the photos appearing in the last few days)

Must be so weird driving a car from in front of the front wheels.
  • mtm wrote: »
    This is fun (weirdly they seem to have returned to Italy to shoot more of this car chase scene judging by the photos appearing in the last few days)

Must be so weird driving a car from in front of the front wheels.

Seriously looks as though Mission is mining the Roger Moore era with this one. They even had Tom jumping on gondolas. I think Indiana Jones did something similar as well.

Tom-Cruise-stars-in-Mission-Impossible-stunt-as-he-leaps.jpg

Also, I think this new film will have the worst haircut for him in the series. He now officially looks his age.

Emy55PjXEAAXm-A?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ms Ferguson looks like she's having a lovely time.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2020 Posts: 10,588
    They all look a bit off in that photo. Probably just the lenses, but movie magic will fix most of it. The action in this film is looking very intriguing and heavily Bond-inspired.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm a fan of shorter haircuts for Tom in the MI films. The photo above is doing no one any favors. Tom is pushing 60 and in the vast majority of pictures looks phenomenal.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yep - very much onboard with the shorter hair. I was never overly keen about the long hair, but it certainly wouldn't work for him now at his age.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Since this particular Mission Impossible outing is making it really obvious that it's influenced by Bond, maybe the Haircut is Cruise channeling Craig's short Haircut in SF.....even if it isn't that short.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    True about haircut, even though i am not a fan of mi3 but his short haircut looks really great in that. His hair in first 3 film's are as well:
    latest?cb=20160806170903
    baa32000c4e945c69fe0d8ce090e0fb8.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1QwSUHqnJFHPhDZWoItTmeGKcEflWQ1Zreg&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnnpYq7cKhK-04KfUpl0jw-2BImIm8sC8p8g&usqp=CAU
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,959
    Yep - very much onboard with the shorter hair. I was never overly keen about the long hair, but it certainly wouldn't work for him now at his age.

The Light The Fuse podcast guys are mildly obsessed with Tom's hair and jokily ask each guest which film's hair they prefer, but they asked McQuarrie about it and he although he got the joke he did also point out that the hair length weirdly is all based on Tom's condition, fitness level and sort of bodyweight when it comes to each film- as you'd imagine on a film this size a lot of time is spent on stuff like this and they do quite a bit of experimentation!
    :)

One fun thing is that the opening of MI2, where we first meet Tom on a plane meeting the virus scientist but it turns out to be Dougray Scott's character disguised as Tom, the idea was that not-Tom would have his short haircut from the first movie and then we'd meet the real Tom with his longer mane. Nice idea, but schedules made it impossible.

What I do find quite interesting about that Venice photo is that Tom definitely has eyebags: I was watching Ghost Protocol recently I think and was amazed in the closeups that he has no eyebags at all- which is kind of impossible, isn't it? So I want to see if they do any digital facelifting on him when this film comes out!
    :)
    When you see Cruise jump from one boat to another, and recalling his injury during production of the last one (or the one before ? whatever), it highlights that, even though he is an actor, he really is involved in some risky business.
  • I think TC pulls off the long hair. The fact that he was in his 40s when he made Ghost Protocol and still looked that good with the long hair is impressive.

Tom-Cruise-Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-Dinner-Suit-2.jpg

But Fallout is the best looking Mission film due to Rob Hardy and the costume designer's work. Cruise looks better being a little more world wearier and weathered. He still looks youthful.

MI_FO_2560.jpg

But I think the years have caught up with Tom in the new mission. Perhaps once we see it combined with the photography of the film, it'll make more sense. Though it's wild that he would have finished 8 of these films. My ranking is
    1. Rogue Nation
    2. Fallout
    3. MI3
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. MI2
    6. MI1
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Emy55PjXEAAXm-A?format=jpg&name=900x900
    Pom Klementieff! Can't wait to see her in the film, and see what role she's playing.
    True about haircut, even though i am not a fan of mi3 but his short haircut looks really great in that. His hair in first 3 film's are as well:
    latest?cb=20160806170903
    baa32000c4e945c69fe0d8ce090e0fb8.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1QwSUHqnJFHPhDZWoItTmeGKcEflWQ1Zreg&usqp=CAU
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnnpYq7cKhK-04KfUpl0jw-2BImIm8sC8p8g&usqp=CAU

while this is off topic slightly this post made me remeber how annoying it is that in the Reboot Lucas till only had the right hair style 2 out of now 5 seasons I hat how half the time Mac has short hair similar to Bond or Hunt it's like 007 having a mullet or something short hair on macgyver annoys me!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,444
    MV5BY2Y3YmE5M2YtN2MyOC00ZjA4LTlkZTAtMDZjOTM5YTBlN2Q5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgxNTM2NTU@._V1_.jpg
    Pierce Brosnan in 1993, when he was 40.

If you whant you can say Cruise have 4-5 movies in him after Mi4 as lead. 2012-2021 is same as Brosnan 1993-2002. If he make a 9th for 2024 it wil be same as Brosnan have done fifth in 2005. I say lead, because even after Mi8 or Mi9 Cruise can play M or Charlie (Angels) chacter or something Baldwin did. Or even a suprise act with a mask thing in Mi13 for example. The new lead after Mi8 or Mi9 can be woman (Ferguson for example)) or even Renner can return.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I thought Tom was starting to look his age in Fallout for probably the first time ever. Not in a bad way by any means - just in terms of "oh, he is human after all!"