Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

How dare a guy get old and lose his hair.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Surprised to discover Simon Pegg suffered major depression and alcoholism. During an interview to promote Fallout, Pegg said he was at his lowest point making Mission Impossible 3 and the following years. He's managed to recover.
    “I’m not ashamed of what happened. And I think if anyone finds any relationship to it, then it might motivate them to get well. But I am not proud of it either – I don’t think it’s cool, like I was Mr Rock’n’roll, blackout and all that sh**. It wasn’t, it was just terrible.”

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jul/09/simon-pegg-alcoholic-addiction-rehab-fatherhood-tom-cruise

Fame and fortune didn't bring him happiness.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I was going to watch this the weekend after it came out, but I got sick (I had a fever, and not precisely the Christopher Walken way), and then just procrastinated a bit. Until yesterday.

Loads of fun. I confess I didn't find the action all that great, though it was certainly considerably entertaining and what one might call 'above average'. The bathroom and cabin fights reminded me of (interestingly enough) the farm scene in Torn Curtain. I also liked the extended Paris chase scenes-- there was this sense that Hunt was being pushed to his physical limits, and I liked how all these characters were running around the city doing different things.

But the film was also interesting in other ways. The drama and character interplay was fairly engrossing. There was an enjoyable dynamic between Cruise and Cavill-- the bold, but cool-headed experienced pro and the intense and reckless younger agent. I also loved the quiet moment in which Cruise is being followed by Ilsa through a park in Paris and then he stops and they have a serious talk. Ferguson, Harris, Cavill, Kirby, Pegg, Rhames... all solid in their roles. The scenes with Julia were also quite poignant.

I also enjoyed very much the references to the other films. The White Widow being Max's daughter, and behaving quite a bit like her (though I do hope Max comes back in a future film, though-- c'mon, she isn't actually dead, she's just "dead"... I'd like to think so, anyway.) Also, the allusion to agents growing disillusioned, which goes back to Phelps in the very first film. Hunt hanging from the side of a mountain, MI2 style. (It would be nice if they brought back someone from MI2 to reinforce continuity with it.)

And that Vanessa Kirby... she would've been a great Bond girl. Absolutely lovely woman. If it hadn't been for Q Branch, my jaw would've dropped to the floor and stayed there for the two and a half hours.

And Cavill, well, he is not without charm. After this film, I can't actively oppose the idea of the guy playing Bond, though I can't bring myself to be that enthusiastic about him either. After Craig, I'd no doubt appreciate his light touch, and I'm pretty sure we could do much worse than him. But I think I'll just wait for the next Bond actor to actually be on the screen to pass more definitive judgment.

Anyway, I want to watch this film again already.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was going to watch this the weekend after it came out, but I got sick (I had a fever, and not precisely the Christopher Walken way), and then just procrastinated a bit. Until yesterday.

Loads of fun. I confess I didn't find the action all that great, though it was certainly considerably entertaining and what one might call 'above average'. The bathroom and cabin fights reminded me of (interestingly enough) the farm scene in Torn Curtain. I also liked the extended Paris chase scenes-- there was this sense that Hunt was being pushed to his physical limits, and I liked how all these characters were running around the city doing different things.

But the film was also interesting in other ways. The drama and character interplay was fairly engrossing. There was an enjoyable dynamic between Cruise and Cavill-- the bold, but cool-headed experienced pro and the intense and reckless younger agent. I also loved the quiet moment in which Cruise is being followed by Ilsa through a park in Paris and then he stops and they have a serious talk. Ferguson, Harris, Cavill, Kirby, Pegg, Rhames... all solid in their roles. The scenes with Julia were also quite poignant.

I also enjoyed very much the references to the other films. The White Widow being Max's daughter, and behaving quite a bit like her (though I do hope Max comes back in a future film, though-- c'mon, she isn't actually dead, she's just "dead"... I'd like to think so, anyway.) Also, the allusion to agents growing disillusioned, which goes back to Phelps in the very first film. Hunt hanging from the side of a mountain, MI2 style. (It would be nice if they brought back someone from MI2 to reinforce continuity with it.)

And that Vanessa Kirby... she would've been a great Bond girl. Absolutely lovely woman. If it hadn't been for Q Branch, my jaw would've dropped to the floor and stayed there for the two and a half hours.

And Cavill, well, he is not without charm. After this film, I can't actively oppose the idea of the guy playing Bond, though I can't bring myself to be that enthusiastic about him either. After Craig, I'd no doubt appreciate his light touch, and I'm pretty sure we could do much worse than him. But I think I'll just wait for the next Bond actor to actually be on the screen to pass more definitive judgment.

Anyway, I want to watch this film again already.
    Glad you liked it! I pretty much agree with everything you've written. Great summary.

I didn't catch the Torn Curtain similarities (I love that farmhouse scene btw - so tense. The gum chewing security guy was great. I'm reminded of him whenever I watch Inglourious Basterds). For me, the bathroom fight was most similar to the benchmark one in True Lies.

Like you I really liked the slower moments in the film, when everyone took a breath. The Faust/Hunt meet in Paris was very cool and very spy.

Kirby was a revelation indeed. I hope she returns in the next one.

I'm with you on Cavill as well. The boy did good.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661

Mattjoes wrote:

Not sure that's much of an endorsement. Feels like a "he'll do if no-one else comes along" reaction!

Perhaps Barbara Broccoli had some powerful reaction to Craig. Perhaps she saw him in Layer Cake and went "wow, he's the guy to replace Brosnan!" I've no idea but I'm guessing she saw him in something and it just clicked. My guess is this will happen with the next Bond actor. She will see someone and she'll go "wow, he's the guy I want."

I doubt she'll go with: "I can't actively oppose the idea of the guy playing Bond, though I can't bring myself to be that enthusiastic about him either."

I think, understandably, they hung the marketing of the movie all around the big action set pieces and, perhaps, over hyped them. But there is so much more to enjoy within the film. The smaller stunts, personal development, humour etc etc are all worthy of praise IMHO
    You'd be nuts to have Tom Cruise doing his own stunts and not market the film around that! And crazy Cruise broke his ankle or leg (?) during the filming and this was used to market Fallout. It was shown in the main trailer.

• peterpeter Toronto
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    You'd be nuts to have Tom Cruise doing his own stunts and not market the film around that! And crazy Cruise broke his ankle or leg (?) during the filming and this was used to market Fallout. It was shown in the main trailer.

The guy is a showman. Look up the Graham Norton Show- they play the exact moment he broke his ankle, in slo-mo.... And then they show his reaction shot, and HOW HE KEPT FILMING!!!!

Lets just say the limping away seen in the film was not fake...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am seeing it today. Cautiously optimistic.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

So many opinions shared on here lately that I genuinely can't recall if you love or hate this series, but hopefully you enjoy it. It seems the consensus is whether you love it or only like it a little bit or even despise it, everyone agrees that the stunts are ambitious and impressive.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

So many opinions shared on here lately that I genuinely can't recall if you love or hate this series, but hopefully you enjoy it. It seems the consensus is whether you love it or only like it a little bit or even despise it, everyone agrees that the stunts are ambitious and impressive.

I don t love or hate it. I have seen them all and feel totally indifferent towards them.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I like M:I and will go and see „Fallout“, soon. But imho it‘s a good example of movies that rely on the starpower of the lead (which Cruise does have indeed). The character of James Bond though is and remains larger than the person portraying it. I think my grandchildren will still go and see new James Bond movies in the movie theatre.
    What are peoples thoughts on Sean Harris in this series?
    Hearing how much he hates being in these movies makes me question whether or not he's made much of an impact on me. His character and performance really aren't that memorable, are they?
    TR007 wrote: »
    Hearing how much he hates being in these movies makes me question whether or not he's made much of an impact on me. His character and performance really aren't that memorable, are they?

I don't think he hates being in the movies, he just hates doing press and sequels - think they really had to strong arm him to get him to return for this one, so I'd be gobsmacked if they managed to get him to return for a third one (which will be quite likely it seems if McQ returns). He's such an underrated actor.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

I don't think he hates being in the movies, he just hates doing press and sequels - think they really had to strong arm him to get him to return for this one, so I'd be gobsmacked if they managed to get him to return for a third one (which will be quite likely it seems if McQ returns). He's such an underrated actor.
    I'm curious to read more about this, Creasy. Any link you can provide me with?

Might as well bring in a new villain for the next. Tom Cruise is the only superstar in this, anyway.

Just came back from the cinema. What MI has in common with Bond is that the sixth is the best.

Chris McQuairre talks around how difficult Harris can be in his Empire podcast recently.
    I think I'd prefer if Lane was played by a different actor who could provide a more memorable performance.

He's a rare interview with him back in 2014 - he's very press shy and a very private person. He doesn't do any sort of promotional interviews or press outings for the films he's in - I think I read the "doesn't do sequels" bit elsewhere, but I can't find a confirmation on it.

Chris McQuairre talks around how difficult Harris can be in his Empire podcast recently.
    I think I'd prefer if Lane was played by a different actor who could provide a more memorable performance.

There is no real feeling of power in his performance or the character. He seems like a small-time crook.
    I love how sinister and purely evil his performance is - there's nothing redeeming behind those eyes. Check out the underrated Harry Brown for a real electrifying performance from him.
    I quite liked the character of Lane and the manner in which Harris played him. There's an intellect there. He's not brute force. More schemer. Then again, I've always liked Harris though. I think he had far more to do and was more memorable in RN, but didn't have a problem with him in Fallout either.

I wouldn't care if they went with someone new next time around though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I also liked Lane. You can see that Harris is attempting to channel a bit of Moriarty in his performance, wrapped in a veil of unhinged craziness. I liked how he finally got to show off some of his combat training in Fallout as well.

If it weren't for Hoffman's efforts in M:I-3, Lane would be my favourite. I do agree that he has probably been played out, however. They've done all they can do with him for my eyes.
    He gives an understated and subtle performace which is a breath of fresh air compared to some villains who "chew the set" up.
    Same, I had no problem with his role in either of the last two installments.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Watched it a second time today and absolutely loved it. I think the first time i was trying to hard to overanalize it, especially the stunts, and overall i was just confused by how different it was from what i expected.
    This time i could simply enjoy it for what it was and take it all in, and I would say it's probably my favorite of the series now, or close to it. It's a blast from start to finish, also with very subtle emotional depth to it. You get a sense of who Ethan is, more so than in the previous movies.
    I love how sinister and purely evil his performance is - there's nothing redeeming behind those eyes. Check out the underrated Harry Brown for a real electrifying performance from him.

I agree. Harris is great, i loved his look too, he looks as run down and ugly on the outside as inside. He's an Anarchist who wants to destroy the world and doesn't care about dying himself. This is not a power hungry megalomaniac, he is evil in it's purest form.
    He doesn t want to destroy the world, but improve it.

Anyway, great camera work. Everything looks its best.
  • Was anyone else reminded of GoldenEye in the final fight between Hunt and Walker? Especially the way Walker went down.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Was anyone else reminded of GoldenEye in the final fight between Hunt and Walker? Especially the way Walker went down.

No. The Hunt/Walker fight was excellent, exciting and expertly shot. You can t say that about anything in GE.
    Was anyone else reminded of GoldenEye in the final fight between Hunt and Walker? Especially the way Walker went down.
    I was reminded of a lot of films when watching this. It does homage a lot of classics. GE was one of them, and not just because of the finale - rather, also because of the way they worked together at the start.

To a degree, the finale reminded me more of MI2 and Cliffhanger than it did GE though.