Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    I imagine he has the attitude of "if I can still do it, then I'll do it." I think Cruise will be doing these movies until he feels he can no longer do the stunts himself.

I'd also imagine a break between 8 and 9 (if they end up making it), because I can only imagine how stressful its been and gonna be getting 7 and 8 finished.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I imagine he has the attitude of "if I can still do it, then I'll do it." I think Cruise will be doing these movies until he feels he can no longer do the stunts himself.

I'd also imagine a break between 8 and 9 (if they end up making it), because I can only imagine how stressful its been and gonna be getting 7 and 8 finished.

Stressful, true, but by the time 8 is actually released, it will have been awhile since most of the crew had actually done the work on screen. So 9 could ramp up sooner than we think after 8's release, at least their usual two-year announcement where it's hardly a footnote pre-production has started, which is how a lot of these MI movies seem to start.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,956
    Yeah that’s a good point actually. By the time the next Top Gun movie finally comes out Cruise will probably be wanting to do another! :D
    When is that out? That’s a long gap now..?
    Shame the films have been delayed again. But hey at least we are getting Avatar 2 lol
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I hope we get at least one film of Ethan and Ilsa together, their chemistry is great and the set up of 5 and the ending of 6, deserves a pay off
    By payoff, do you mean you'd like for there to be a deeper, more personal relationship between Ilsa and Ethan ? They definitely have a spark. The way each has looked at the other a few times, just a beat longer than needed...
    Since62 wrote: »
    By payoff, do you mean you'd like for there to be a deeper, more personal relationship between Ilsa and Ethan ? They definitely have a spark. The way each has looked at the other a few times, just a beat longer than needed...

Yep exactly mate. I just hope that the new film starts and if they had a relationship its all been done off screen. That would feel like a waste in my opinion
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The ending of Fallout seems to open up the likelihood that they'll be a thing now, given his closure with Julia. It sort of makes me wonder if she wouldn't be an impactful death for the series, giving Ethan a further emotional stake in whatever his new mission is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's weird. From the point about the bullets I'm guessing that was made by an American! :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There are so many questions; Why are Bonds arms so short? Why is Ethan bandy-legged? Why does Ethan resemble those thing you see wobbling in the breeze outside car dealerships?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Changing his face "for no reason"...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    But then again, a while back, it was reported that Liam Neeson was retiring from action films.

https://screenrant.com/mission-impossible-7-8-tom-cruise-ending-movie/
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Interesting.
    This will be a true test of James Bond's influence on MI ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    $290 million? Wow.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Glad to have a confirmation of what always seemed to be the most likely and logical scenario. Cruise just can’t keep doing his stunt at his golden level, being believable, at 65/70.

Anyway… $290M production budget..? Including tax incentives… it almost makes NTTD look like an art house independent flick…
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m calling it:

Ethan Hunt dies.
    Yeah, I was wondering about this possibility for over a month... the hero dying is a trend. Mangold may kill off Indy as well.
    Neither Ethan nor Indy will die. ;
    How about Maverick? XD
    None of them, at this point it far to predictable and cliche.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Five years after he last saw her, Ethan reunites with Faust and finds out she has a young daughter. After seeing her run, Ethan has a sneaking suspicion she might be his. Right before he dies, Faust admits that she runs just like Ethan.

"I know."
    :))
    I’m calling it:

Ethan Hunt dies.

It's been done. How about this ? Ethan Hunt gives birth to his own child. Conceived in Ilsa, but carried by Ethan and born by Caesarean section. (Ues, I'm leaving out many details, which could be addressed simply by two words: "Mad Scientist") An ultimate stunt for Ethan. Oh, yes, hanging onto a submarine in the process.
    I hope Ethan doesn't die at the end. I'm not sold on the idea of the hero dying in his own film is satisfying, even it is self sacrifice
    I think it just cheapens what comes before, if you know how it ends
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,353
    How many Tom Cruise Movie questions can you get right...

I did not do well
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 6,844
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I hope Ethan doesn't die at the end. I'm not sold on the idea of the hero dying in his own film is satisfying, even it is self sacrifice
    I think it just cheapens what comes before, if you know how it ends

The idea was old hat even before this current decade. Now I guess it's just the thing to do. I'm half-expecting Grant, Ellie, and Malcolm to get snatched up and shaken around to sad music by rampaging T-rexes. I don't know if M:I will go for the trend or not, but I really hope they play it more originally. With few exceptions, I too think it's more satisfying to leave the future of the protagonist of a series that's ultimately all about escapism and fun an exciting question mark rather than killing them. "The adventure goes on..." rather than "It all ends here."

I did not do well

Wow, neither did I. That was fun, though.
  • BT3366 wrote: »

I did not do well

Wow, neither did I. That was fun, though.

She knows her Tom Cruise movies! I got a grand total of one right, and I'm proud of that given how challenging those questions were!