Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning - Parts 1 and 2 (2023/24)

1141142144146147246

Comments

  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Posts: 15,534
    @bondjames I would assume it's because France must also think about releasing our own movie productions too, but it is very annoying that some Hollywood films are released 2 days before the US (usual day of release is Wednesday) while some are released 5/12/19 days later.

    Looking at the next few months, there are quite a few films I can't wait to see that are going to have a sizeable gap between US and France releases. The Predator, White Boy Rick, Bad Times at the El Royal, Widows, Creed 2 just to name a few.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 37,936
    @bondjames I would assume it's because France must also think about releasing our own movie productions too, but it is very annoying that some Hollywood films are released 2 days before the US (usual day of release is Wednesday) while some are released 5/12/19 days later.

    Looking at the next few months, there are quite a few films I can't wait to see that are going to have a sizeable gap between US and France releases. The Predator, White Boy Rick, Bad Times at the El Royal, Widows, Creed 2 just to name a few.

    Yeah, that has to be a pain. I've seen you get some movies days and weeks before we get them here in the U.S., and other movies that you don't get for a good two months or more after we do.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    It's quite annoying. I hope that more studios decide to follow Disney and release everywhere at once. It makes it much more fun when we all see the big ones at the same time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 37,936
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's quite annoying. I hope that more studios decide to follow Disney and release everywhere at once. It makes it much more fun when we all see the big ones at the same time.

    Makes it "easier" on the spoiler culture, too - not as tough to dodge them when a film is released at the same time globally.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,584
    Alright, seen it twice now (first time in IMAX, a hell of an experience). I agree with most that the film itself is superb and the action sequences trump anything in recent memory.

    The only real complaint I have is the humour. There simply isn't enough of it and what's there often falls flat. The clever banter between Hunt and his team is sorely missed in this effort. That said, all the other pieces are perfect. This did not disappoint. It's undoubtedly the most enjoyable installment IMO, but I felt Rogue Nation was the slightly more clever entry. It's a tie.

    9/10
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    Another thing, about Ilsa this time...
    I was CRYING for a kiss between Hunt and Ilsa. It had to happen and I hope it happens in the next one if she returns!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 37,936
    Another thing, about Ilsa this time...
    I was CRYING for a kiss between Hunt and Ilsa. It had to happen and I hope it happens in the next one if she returns!

    I do hope that happens, too. Given that:
    It seemed to wrap up the Julia/Ethan love angle quite nicely, I can see Ilsa becoming the new, proper love interest for Ethan in the next one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    The only real complaint I have is the humour. There simply isn't enough of it and what's there often falls flat. The clever banter between Hunt and his team is sorely missed in this effort. That said, all the other pieces are perfect. This did not disappoint. It's undoubtedly the most enjoyable installment IMO, but I felt Rogue Nation was the slightly more clever entry. It's a tie.
    I get what you're saying and agree that the humour isn't there in the same quantity as the previous two. I actually like that though, because it gives Fallout a more serious and weighty tone, which is a point of differentiation. I'm not sure if the same level of humour would have necessarily worked well in the context of what they were going for this time, which is slightly more personal.
    All of the main characters, but particularly Hunt and Faust are far more serious in this one, and it adds a level of momentousness to the proceedings.
    This is where I was reminded of TDK/TDKR in terms of consequence.
    ---
    They will obviously have to try and phase him out as movies go by. I mean, Rebecca Ferguson is getting a lot of recognition. I'd love to have her take over from Cruise after the latter calls it quits.
    @ClarkDevlin, your idea is catching on. Possible spoilers so those who've yet to see the film read at your risk.

    http://observer.com/2018/07/mission-impossible-fallout-tom-cruise-sequel-rebecca-ferguson-paramount-pictures/
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Another thing, about Ilsa this time...
    I was CRYING for a kiss between Hunt and Ilsa. It had to happen and I hope it happens in the next one if she returns!

    I do hope that happens, too. Given that:
    It seemed to wrap up the Julia/Ethan love angle quite nicely, I can see Ilsa becoming the new, proper love interest for Ethan in the next one.

    Indeed, plus
    she's in the same world as Ethan. I could definitively see them making a good duo, sort of Alejandro and Elena in The Legend of Zorro.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,061
    peter wrote: »
    This link is about M:I and I'd be interested to hear thoughts on it from those of you who have seen the film.

    http://scriptshadow.net/movie-review-mission-impossible-fallout/

    It is bascially spot on.

    The Mission Impossible action set-piece that sticks out most occurs in JJ Abrams MI (no surprise there). It takes place on an isolated stretch of ocean highway with Tom Cruise running from a drone that’s shooting missiles at him. There’s actually some inventiveness to this sequence. We’re isolated. We’re in a unique setting. We’re trapped. The odds are insurmountable (man with nowhere to run vs. military drone). In Christopher McQuarrie’s Mission Impossible movies, it’s always a chase through a city that we’ve seen a million times before.

    Mission Impossible needs to get back to its roots. What’s the defining image of this franchise? When I say “Mission Impossible,” what is the first thing you think of? It’s Tom Cruise, clad in black, arms and legs spread eagle, being held one inch from a white floor. Six movies later and that’s still the image we go back to. Why? Because back then, it was more about being clever than, “WHAT COOL STUNT CAN WE DO HERE!?” It was more about coming up with a cool fun plot than, “I WONDER IF TOM CRUISE CAN JUMP OFF THE EIFEL TOWER ON A SEGWAY.” That white room heist sequence cost 1/100th of one of these car chases yet it was a hundred times more impactful.
    (...)
    We see a desolate snowy mountain in the middle of nowhere. No matter how destructive you sell us on this situation, if we can’t SEE how this would kill millions of people, we’re not buying it. I didn’t once buy that this was going to affect anyone in China or India or Pakistan. Those nations felt a million miles away from me in these mountains. This is a common writer-director mistake. They liked this location as a set piece so much that they back-engineered the plot to get it into the movie, as opposed to allowing the climax to evolve organically from the story.
  • Posts: 4,540
    Soft reboot is a fair description of what it will need, and the reference to R Downey J is spot on in the way they use him as a supporting actor BUT different in that we know we will see him in all his glory in other movies within the series. This won't be the same with Cruise. I think they will need to say goodbye to Cruise to draw a line under that part of the series.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,659
    jake24 wrote: »
    Cruise is MI. I don't want to see Hunt recast or the series to continue with a different lead. They'd be better off with a TV reboot.

    Sounds like a great idea. I can't see a non-Tom Cruise Mission Impossible franchise pulling in enough film goers. If there is a new Tom Cruise type actor waiting for his big break in films and he connects with the audience... but if there's no obvious candidate to replace him (and I can't think of one) I can't see much box office future for the franchise. A tv reboot would necessitate an all new cast and with less emphasis on Hunt at the main star.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Another thing, about Ilsa this time...
    I was CRYING for a kiss between Hunt and Ilsa. It had to happen and I hope it happens in the next one if she returns!

    I do hope that happens, too. Given that:
    It seemed to wrap up the Julia/Ethan love angle quite nicely, I can see Ilsa becoming the new, proper love interest for Ethan in the next one.
    Apparently, they
    filmed a scene with them kissing, but pulled it because it didn't quite fit into the way the story unfolded
    Mcquarrie's explanation is actually spot on when one thinks about it, given the unfinished business of the past.

    Again, lots of spoilers below, so those who've not seen the film should perhaps avoid.

    It's an excellent article though, with a lot of insights into the process and choices made.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-tom-cruise-pushed-a-dark-plot-was-cut-1130744
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Posts: 15,534
    Just got back from Mission Impossible: Fallout. Incredible, Tom Cruise is a living legend. I need to see it again ASAP. Some of the best action set-pieces I've ever seen.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Zekidk wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    This link is about M:I and I'd be interested to hear thoughts on it from those of you who have seen the film.

    http://scriptshadow.net/movie-review-mission-impossible-fallout/

    It is bascially spot on.

    The Mission Impossible action set-piece that sticks out most occurs in JJ Abrams MI (no surprise there). It takes place on an isolated stretch of ocean highway with Tom Cruise running from a drone that’s shooting missiles at him. There’s actually some inventiveness to this sequence. We’re isolated. We’re in a unique setting. We’re trapped. The odds are insurmountable (man with nowhere to run vs. military drone). In Christopher McQuarrie’s Mission Impossible movies, it’s always a chase through a city that we’ve seen a million times before.

    Mission Impossible needs to get back to its roots. What’s the defining image of this franchise? When I say “Mission Impossible,” what is the first thing you think of? It’s Tom Cruise, clad in black, arms and legs spread eagle, being held one inch from a white floor. Six movies later and that’s still the image we go back to. Why? Because back then, it was more about being clever than, “WHAT COOL STUNT CAN WE DO HERE!?” It was more about coming up with a cool fun plot than, “I WONDER IF TOM CRUISE CAN JUMP OFF THE EIFEL TOWER ON A SEGWAY.” That white room heist sequence cost 1/100th of one of these car chases yet it was a hundred times more impactful.
    (...)

    That´s not at all true. When I think of M:I, I think of incredible stunts first and foremost, and I say that as a guy who was deeply impressed with the first one when it came out.
    The writer seems to ignore that M:I was pretty much going nowhere after 2. 3 has a fascinatingly complicated production history, and at least until its release, few people cared about Cruise and M:I. The stunts are Tom´s main selling point for M:I. I don´t see anything wrong with that.
    I doubt that writer even knows what a segway is.

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Just got back from Mission Impossible: Fallout. Incredible, Tom Cruise is a living legend. I need to see it again ASAP. Some of the best action set-pieces I've ever seen.
    Glad you liked it @DaltonCraig007 .

    The level of dedication, professionalism and passion is evident throughout this film. Everyone clearly raised their game, perhaps aware of the high viewer expectations, Cruise's demanding standards, and the positive critical appraisal that the last few films have had. The viewer is the winner.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,061
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    This link is about M:I and I'd be interested to hear thoughts on it from those of you who have seen the film.

    http://scriptshadow.net/movie-review-mission-impossible-fallout/

    It is bascially spot on.

    The Mission Impossible action set-piece that sticks out most occurs in JJ Abrams MI (no surprise there). It takes place on an isolated stretch of ocean highway with Tom Cruise running from a drone that’s shooting missiles at him. There’s actually some inventiveness to this sequence. We’re isolated. We’re in a unique setting. We’re trapped. The odds are insurmountable (man with nowhere to run vs. military drone). In Christopher McQuarrie’s Mission Impossible movies, it’s always a chase through a city that we’ve seen a million times before.

    Mission Impossible needs to get back to its roots. What’s the defining image of this franchise? When I say “Mission Impossible,” what is the first thing you think of? It’s Tom Cruise, clad in black, arms and legs spread eagle, being held one inch from a white floor. Six movies later and that’s still the image we go back to. Why? Because back then, it was more about being clever than, “WHAT COOL STUNT CAN WE DO HERE!?” It was more about coming up with a cool fun plot than, “I WONDER IF TOM CRUISE CAN JUMP OFF THE EIFEL TOWER ON A SEGWAY.” That white room heist sequence cost 1/100th of one of these car chases yet it was a hundred times more impactful.
    (...)

    That´s not at all true. When I think of M:I, I think of incredible stunts first and foremost, and I say that as a guy who was deeply impressed with the first one when it came out.
    To each his own. I am a sucker for storytelling. I get bored if I watch a 120 minute stunt movie with a couple of chases added. Like the writer of the article, I would much rather have nailbiting original and well thought out scenes, like the CIA break-in from the first or the opening shots of III, than yet another car/foot/bike chase.

    The best scenes for me in Fallout
    wasn't the over-the-top scenes, like skydiving or the helicopter chase. It was when Hunt and his team outsmarted the norwegian scientist in the beginning and the fight in the toilet
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 37,936
    @Zekidk, in regards to III, I don't know that I'd classify a fake-out death scene as "original", but it was a great opening to the movie still.

    Those aforementioned bits were also two of my favorite scenes, as well.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,061
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    in regards to III, I don't know that I'd classify a fake-out death scene as "original", but it was a great opening to the movie still.

    Hunt at his most desperate, going through all 5 fases of grief and loss in a total of 2-3 minute screen time is great filmmaking. III is still my favorite of the bunch.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 37,936
    It's my least favorite (I know I'm in the minority with that), but I've warmed to it more and more over the last few viewings of it. Just got it in the mail in 4K the other day, can't wait to see how it looks.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Posts: 370
    I went to see Fallout for a second time tonight. Some random thoughts...

    I noticed that the C-17 (supposedly) at the US airbase in Germany actually has RAF markings on it. I assume that was filimed in the UK.

    The HALO jump is one of my favourite sequences. Very well done.

    Vanessa Kirby is brilliant. She’s very impressive. I trust she will return in the future.

    I liked the way Ethan’s dream sequences were filimed. And I noticed that Solomon said “you should have killed me” in the dream and later in real life. I don’t think I noticed that on first viewing.

    What a lovely moment it is when Julia turns up. What a shame they couldn’t have kept it a secret and out of the trailers.

    I love the shots of Henry Cavill in the helicopter with Ethan’s helicopter in the background. All done in camera.

    And of course Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,108
    Just got out a few hours ago. Solid film but not my favorite of the series. It will probably flip flop between 2 and 3 once all said and done.
  • Posts: 197
    Saw the movie yesterday (in IMAX), damn what a great movie, especially the camera work was absolutely fantastic. The stunts are all really great and fits perfect in the whole movie, hopefully Bond 25 can do this in the same way.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,180
    Watched it yesterday, and while it's a really good and entertaining film, i don't quite praise it as high as others here. The movie itself is done very well, but what is the obvious standout here is the insanity that is Tom Cruise.
    I like to think he made himself a monument with MI6, as he's pretty much this generations Evel Knievel now, maybe more so than after any of the previous movies.
    People willl flock to see MI7 just to see what insane stuff he will do next.
    As for Bond, don't expect them to reach that level anytime soon, and how could they?
    Thinking that this would be easy to do, would only diminish what Cruise has accomplished with this franchise.

    As for the Movie itself, personally i prefer the tone of some of the other MI movies, but i do acknowledge that the climax of Fallout is pretty much the best in the franchise if not one of the best ever made (i think thats where all those "one of the best action movies of all time" comments came from) but the first half is very slow, and the movie is extremely exposition heavy, so much so that i almost lost the plot somehwere in the middle.

    I have honestly no idea where i would rank it right now (not on 1 though) i will need to watch it more times.

    I also got a lot of Goldeneye vibes from the finale:
    - Villain with a half burned face
    - Villain is an Agent like the hero, who switched sides
    - Villain and Hero had worked together in the beginning of the film
    - Intense fistfight between the two
    - Villain hangs on to the hero shortly before he falls to his death.
    - Really gruesome death by being impaled (which kills him, not the fall)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Lorne Balfe's score for this film. It truly elevates nearly every scene and is a standout. I can't quite pick my favourite bit (there are so many great cues), but the entire
    London rooftop chase sequence score
    (I think it's called "Stairs and Rooftops") is really suspenseful and epic. I especially love the piano bit & the drums that kick in from time to time. It reminds me of something from a 70's film.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Posts: 5,180
    +1
    The soundtrack is very good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Rob Hardy's cinematography was amazing too. Reminded me of the best of Wally Pfister. These guys were all giving it their best here and that's what I admire about this outing. One can sense the dedication.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,584
    The score is wonderfully cinematic (and I love the so called "Zimmerisms" btw). Something like Kraemer's score wouldn't work for this film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    The score is wonderfully cinematic (and I love the so called "Zimmerisms" btw). Something like Kraemer's score wouldn't work for this film.
    Same here. The nods to Zimmer really work and complement the intensity and epic nature of the film. Kraemer's score was perfect for RN but I'm glad we got Balfe for this one. My hat's off to him for what he was able to deliver.
  • Posts: 3,991
    The score reminded me also of Tron Legacy.
Sign In or Register to comment.