Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• RC7RC7
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Who is Bourne anyway? Look, I like the og trilogy., but that has been played out. Nothing new. Whereas every new MI brings in something new and exciting. Okat, maybe that Hunt has been disowned has been played in too much.

Still better than "oh, look that evil cia!"

That is a fair thing to say but Bourne is as different to MI as it is to Bond, and it still reshaped action films for the next 10 years so it will pop up in conversation - much like Fallout will over the next while, I imagine. Then we'll get Bond 25 and if it's great, the cycle starts again.

As far as spy thrillers go, each of the big three have provided one huge, worthy addition to the genre. Bond has CR, Bourne has the original trilogy, and MI now has Fallout.

If Bourne had stopped at 3 films, and Bond had knocked Spectre out of the park, MI would still be as impressive but the comparisons wouldn't be as blunt between the three.

You’re correct in saying it’s cyclical.

They’re both in Bond’s shadow, however, even Cruise would admit it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    Who is Bourne anyway? Look, I like the og trilogy., but that has been played out. Nothing new. Whereas every new MI brings in something new and exciting. Okat, maybe that Hunt has been disowned has been played in too much.

That is a fair thing to say but Bourne is as different to MI as it is to Bond, and it still reshaped action films for the next 10 years so it will pop up in conversation - much like Fallout will over the next while, I imagine. Then we'll get Bond 25 and if it's great, the cycle starts again.

As far as spy thrillers go, each of the big three have provided one huge, worthy addition to the genre. Bond has CR, Bourne has the original trilogy, and MI now has Fallout.

If Bourne had stopped at 3 films, and Bond had knocked Spectre out of the park, MI would still be as impressive but the comparisons wouldn't be as blunt between the three.

You’re correct in saying it’s cyclical.

They’re both in Bond’s shadow, however, even Cruise would admit it.

Sure, thanks to cultural impact and longevity. That's a given. It's been 12 years since I walked out of a Bond film feeling the way I did after Fallout, though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

The first 3 Bourne films did indeed reshape this genre and their influence is still being felt here and there. Hugely impressive films in my view.

In my opinion, these last 3 MI films have been by far the best 3 consecutive entries in this genre since those early Bourne films.

No way either can compete with the nearly 60 year James Bond legacy and to expect that they would is silly. Due to its time in existence and the class leading films of the past Bond is definitive in viewer minds when it comes to spy fare. The back catalogue has shaped many viewers (including most of us, I'd suspect) fandom. Having said that, these other franchises have pretty much kicked it in during the last 2 decades, and they have each brought something new and dynamic to the table.

The more the merrier in this genre as far as I'm concerned, which is by far my favourite. Outside of the brilliant MI: Fallout, my favourite film this year is Red Sparrow, which is outstanding in my opinion. Although I highly doubt it will happen due to the idiotic PC backlash, I hope Lawrence² will make another one.
    I agree, @bondjames - the competition is healthy, and Bond has proven time and time again that it can bounce back when people start to doubt it or a fellow franchise makes strides towards creative peaks like Bourne did and M:I has now done.

Despite the negativity and suspicions surrounding Bond 25, Fallout has actually raised my expectations for it even further because while Bond is unlikely to imitate it stylistically or even thematically, Danny Boyle will still want to make the best film possible to close out the Craig era on a high and generate the same kind of buzz that Cruise and co. are now.
    I'm with you @CraigMooreOHMSS. If they're smart, they will do what they did with SF and not try to imitate the last (and similarly highly successful benchmark) MI entry from the prior year, but forge their own, hopefully more espionage driven, path.

Like you, I'm certain Boyle and everyone else will 'up' their game, because they really have no choice. Expectations are low, there has been a fair amount of negative chatter, and the momentum is with other franchises. So they have to bring their best, and I'm sure they will.

If I have one concern, it is that they are staying with Craig. I really would have preferred a younger man in the chair because I believe the time is right to reboot and that in itself would have generated a lot of buzz, because with that franchise, 'Bond' is the brand and not the actor (unlike MI).

They have made their bed though and now they must sleep in it. Hopefully it will be worth it. Fingers crossed. We are all hoping for the best.
  • RC7RC7
    I agree, @bondjames - the competition is healthy, and Bond has proven time and time again that it can bounce back when people start to doubt it or a fellow franchise makes strides towards creative peaks like Bourne did and M:I has now done.

Despite the negativity and suspicions surrounding Bond 25, Fallout has actually raised my expectations for it even further because while Bond is unlikely to imitate it stylistically or even thematically, Danny Boyle will still want to make the best film possible to close out the Craig era on a high and generate the same kind of buzz that Cruise and co. are now.

I agree with you. The more variation the better.
    The Empire podcast has some really interesting tidbits;
    Jeremy Renner was offered the opportunity to return. His character would have been killed in the Berlin opening but he refused to take part.

Mcquarrie also said that after Ghost Protocol he found it hard to find ways to fit Renner into the story.

They did consider killing Luther but Ving Rhames has never liked that idea and spoke to Cruise on Mission 1 as to why the black characters always have to be killed off in these types of movies.

They didn't know what to do with White Widow during the shoot as they were writing it as they went along. At one point she was thought of to be a henchwoman to the villain and was flown out to New Zealand for the climax. She was meant to have a fight with Ilsa but in the end Mcquarrie decided against it.

The studio wanted a villain with a disfigurement and offered Silva from SF as an example.

Julia was written into the script on Cruise's behest as he was getting fed up of the fans and press always asking what happened to her.

Sean Harris hates being in franchise movies and wasn't too impressed when the idea was pitched to him when shooting Rogue Nation that he would be returning for this installment.

On the Wolf Blitzer/CNN twist at the start in the hospital, Simon Pegg wanted to use the line 'Fake News'.

Throughout the movie Mcquarrie was always against the clock and trying to figure out the shoot and story as they went along. It sounds like he's the real life Ethan Hunt who is always trying to improvise and come up with a plan last minute.
    Great read @TR007. Thanks for that.
    It's interesting that on MI Fallout they speak about it being a live script. I saw Henry Cavill saying that he would often find at the start of they day that fights or dialogue had been changed from what had been rehearsed. They accept this changing script as being the norm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I saw an interview yesterday that also hinted that:
    They initially wanted Ethan to masquerade as Lark for the entire movie, doing progressively darker and darker things that were unlike his true self in his overall aim to get back the plutonium; it was scrapped, naturally, and the darkest moment we got was him envisioning executing a police officer. Having said that, McQuarrie seemed to hint that it could always return in future installments (provided he directs another).

The "Your mission, should you choose to accept it...did you ever choose not to?" line was actually from a scrapped encounter that took place between Ethan and Lane earlier on in RN, but it didn't fit, so it was pulled and naturally made its way into Fallout.
    I'm glad they didn't go with an
    Ilsa/Widow catfight. I loved her encounter with Lane. I found it as tense as all of Ethan's death defying hijinks in the helicopter, which it was interspersed with.

Oh, and whoever decided to put a stache on Cavill needs an award. It totally changed up his appearance and
    made him far more menacing. He's an intimidating tank of a man in this film. I actually liked it when August Walker was working with Hunt at the start. They made a good team. Someone mentioned earlier that it was reminiscent of Bond/Trevalyn in GE, and it's so true.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,690
    I'm probably alone in thinking this, but if M:I:7 does happen, in 3/4 years based on previous gaps between M:I films, they should use the opportunity to finally pit Tom Cruise against Keanu Reeves. Both, at 50+ years old, are the most physically impressive actors in Hollywood right now, and I would be very disappointed if both were to never appear in the same film together.

Same as Denzel Washington vs Liam Neeson, these are action films duos straight down from heaven.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,034
    I was trying to figure out what performance Cavill was giving me a sense of déja vú about. Not just in appearance but also in personality. Then it hit me, and I'm not sure why.

41qe3ionmmL.jpg
    Stache goes a long way.

My 2 favourites from the score, first reminds me on Dark Knight Rises

The themes in The Exchange are reworked in Escape Through Paris, the next track (if you listen to the tracks in movie order).
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 252
    Thanks, is there anywhere a list of the chronical (movie) order of the soundtrack?

BTW on the La La Records 2 CD Release they are 6 Bonus Tracks

1. Plutonium Trade (2:54)
    2. As Ugly As They Come (2:26)
    3. Framing Ethan (2:01)
    4. Je Suis Désolé (1:06)
    5. Trapped (3:26)
    6. This Mission Is Terminated (2:10)
    @Bernie99, The Exchange is a classic imho. Love the unrelenting anxiety in the earlier part of the track, despite obvious parallels to The Bat. The way the MI cue kicks at about the 1:30 mark is brilliant. From fear suddenly to confidence.

Stairs and Rooftops is just amazing imho.

I just learned yesterday that
    Cruise fell down that helicopter line for real (albeit with wires attached). I just originally dismissed that as a stuntman with CGI. I really had no idea it was him falling down (even though I knew he was on the line) or during the HALO jump. Incredible.

At about 3:45 in this interview:

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I want to give it another viewing. I saw it on vacation this week. $6 tickets in one of those luxury reclining Regals. Problem is that I don't wanna pay more for a second viewing. I feel that it should be the other way around
    Got my ticket for tonight, can't believe I have left it this long, been a busy week. Just listening to "The Exchange" , sounds great.

Small thing, noticed on the posters how Cruise holds the pistol corrrectly with his right index finger held straight along the gun rather than on the trigger. Love these small things.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,024
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Bernie99, The Exchange is a classic imho. Love the unrelenting anxiety in the earlier part of the track, despite obvious parallels to The Bat. The way the MI cue kicks at about the 1:30 mark is brilliant. From fear suddenly to confidence.

Cruise fell down that helicopter line for real (albeit with wires attached). I just originally dismissed that as a stuntman with CGI. I really had no idea it was him falling down (even though I knew he was on the line) or during the HALO jump. Incredible.

Channel 5 in the UK showed a mini documentary where you could see him do that. Plus it showed the London scene that broke his ankle.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,588

Stairs and Rooftops is a definite stand-out, as is Change of Plan:

Does anyone recall what scene this is from? I can't for the life of me remember (in spoiler tags, of course).
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,024
    going up the stairs in the cathedral

I read elsewhere that Change of Plan is an unused track. Not sure if that is correct.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Thanks, is there anywhere a list of the chronical (movie) order of the soundtrack?

BTW on the La La Records 2 CD Release they are 6 Bonus Tracks

1. Plutonium Trade (2:54)
    2. As Ugly As They Come (2:26)
    3. Framing Ethan (2:01)
    4. Je Suis Désolé (1:06)
    5. Trapped (3:26)
    6. This Mission Is Terminated (2:10)

This is what I got on another forum.

A Storm Is Coming (Logos)
    Should You Choose To Accept...
    Good Evening, Mr. Hunt
    A Terrible Choice
    The Manifesto
    Fallout
    Your Mission
    Free Fall*
    The White Widow
    The Exchange
    Escape Through Paris
    Steps Ahead
    We Are Never Free
    No Hard Feelings
    Stairs and Rooftops
    Kashmir
    Fate Whispers To The Warrior
    The Warrior Whispers Back
    Unfinished Business
    I Am The Storm*
    Scalpel and Hammer
    Cutting on One
    The Last Resort
    Mission: Accomplished
    The Syndicate (Unused)
    Change Of Plan (Unused)
    Thank you
    Saw it, loved it.

Seeing it reinforced my thoughts, that the MI franchise is the best series of action movies/spy films of the last 20+ years.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

The first 3 Bourne films did indeed reshape this genre and their influence is still being felt here and there. Hugely impressive films in my view.

In my opinion, these last 3 MI films have been by far the best 3 consecutive entries in this genre since those early Bourne films.

No way either can compete with the nearly 60 year James Bond legacy and to expect that they would is silly. Due to its time in existence and the class leading films of the past Bond is definitive in viewer minds when it comes to spy fare. The back catalogue has shaped many viewers (including most of us, I'd suspect) fandom. Having said that, these other franchises have pretty much kicked it in during the last 2 decades, and they have each brought something new and dynamic to the table.

The more the merrier in this genre as far as I'm concerned, which is by far my favourite. Outside of the brilliant MI: Fallout, my favourite film this year is Red Sparrow, which is outstanding in my opinion. Although I highly doubt it will happen due to the idiotic PC backlash, I hope Lawrence² will make another one.

100% agreed and well said.

Also red sparrow is criminally underrated and proves these sorts of stories don't need to be set back in the cold war era. Bond needs to find it's footing again in telling a modern day spy/mystery/thriller.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I haven't seen the film yet, but I've been listening to the soundtrack-- that's a whole lot of awesomeness, fun, and tension.

Suffice to say I've bought a ticket for tomorrow!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film yet, but I've been listening to the soundtrack-- that's a whole lot of awesomeness, fun, and tension.

Suffice to say I've bought a ticket for tomorrow!

Hope you enjoy it! I’m catching it for the second time tomorrow, I can’t wait.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'd love to have the freedom to see it a second time. Will have to wait for the home release.