Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It pains me to admit this... but Cruise is really putting Bond to shame.
    While I believe that Bond still has big chances to top MI by a huge margin in the character department, I will happily spend a lot of money on MI tickets, based on the clips I´ve seen. As far as action and entertainment is concerned, this looks as if they picked up where Bond left in the 80s.

That's the problem, too much focus on character. These are supposed to be spy thriller/action/action thriller films, not kitchen sink dramas. Cruise has craftily found the hole left by Bond, and has plugged it with M:I. And while there is more drama in the recent MI films, it hasn't gotten out of control.
    If the outcome is a tight thriller with not much action, I´d be absolutely satisfied, and I´m saying this as an avid action fan.
    The focus on character is a huge part of what made the Connery/Moore films so fantastic. As one of the producers once said when asked what differenciates Bond from other action heros, "Bond has got style". I think what you mean, @MajorDSmythe, is focus on personal drama. The old Bond films weren´t concerned much with character development, but they had character all over the place.

Did I say character? Yes, I see now. I don't know why I said that, I did indeed mean all of the drama. The endless excuses to wring out as much drama from the films as possible, and long run its course for me. Cruise has been adding drama into the mix over the last few films, but it has been kept in check so far. I wont worry until Jim Phelps comes back from the dead, revealed to be Hunt's father, and has been plotting revenge over the last 22 years.
    TR007 wrote: »
    MI tops Bond these days for the spectacle of their stunts.
    Easily!
    M:I these days ridicules any competition when it comes to spectacle, while at least the last Bond film didn´t feel as if it had any spectacle in it at all.

I do hope that when we get Bond actor #7 they will be as adventurous as Cruise.
    It always bugs me in SP when we get the amazing helicopter footage and then the dodgy close ups of Craig and the CGI background, it was very noticable on the big screen.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    It always bugs me in SP when we get the amazing helicopter footage and then the dodgy close ups of Craig and the CGI background, it was very noticable on the big screen.

Same with some of the shots in the motorcycle chase from Skyfall.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I do hope that when we get Bond actor #7 they will be as adventurous as Cruise.
    Have you forgotten about the crane sequence from CR, and the train fight from SF?
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Yes - as much as I easily agree the MI films have a great share of stunts and are well done especially in the stunt department Craig‘s first two movies were pure spectacle in that sector and also SF was not bad at all ... admitting the energy level was not on par with CR or QoS.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MI has a writer/director. Bond has never had that. It's a big thing IMHO. One person who completelty understands the series, , characters etc and is imagining each scene in his own mind as he writes each page. As with Cameron or Mann, these movies are seemless, complete creations rather than a directors imterpretation of someone elses work.

Perhaps we are close to this with Boyle/Hodge?
    @patb, I don´t think it has to be one person, as long as the connection is there. Writer and director being two persons can also bring interesting inspirations out of the combination of the two.
    Of course that´s theory. In practice, naturally it´s easier to get things flowing when the director also knows how to write the screenplay.
    One thing I have learned from these forums and from the Bond reference books is how much the scripts get "mucked about with" from their original concepts and how many people have a finger in the pie. Once you find the right guy, there is a very strong argument for trusting them and letting them get on with it rather then endless edits, re-writes etc etc

Perhaps this is one explanation for the relative smoothness of the MI production from the last one to this one.

I would certainly hope that Chris McQ is already sitting down with Cruise with concepts/ideas for the next one rather than starting from scratch which seems to be the Bond process.

The same could be said of the Star Trek series?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,690
    ‘Mission: Impossible – Fallout’ Rave Reactions Go Wild for Tom Cruise, Compare Sequel to ‘Mad Max’ and ‘The Dark Knight’

Jason Bailey: Warning to impatient moviegoers, this one takes a hot minute to get going. But once it does, holy shit.

William Bibbiani: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT is nowhere near the best MI film, but it is a pretty good one, and the climax is a killer. For the record, I think ROGUE NATION is the best one.

Bryan Bishop, The Verge: Mission: Impossible - Fallout is worth every minute of Superman’s creepy digital Justice League mouth. But facial hair aside, it’s a hell of an action movie. Not perfect by any means, but it feels like the ultimate expression of Cruise’s “I will do every stunt EVER” mentality. And the IMAX photography is stunning.

Valerie Complex: Walked out of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT thinking: wow, Ghost Protocol is still the best in the franchise.

Bilge Ebiri, Village Voice: This movie is sex.

David Ehrlich, IndieWire: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE — FALLOUT is easily the best action movie since Fury Road. just god-level stuff. the highest praise I can give a movie: I’m not even mad it’s making me late to Radiohead.

Kate Erbland, IndieWire: There needs to be a new MI movie every summer, because no other blockbuster franchise is, pound for pound, as entertaining and engrossing as this one has become.

Sean Fennessey, The Ringer: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT: the most fun franchise in movies retains the title. Make 100 of these, I cannot be sated.

Karen Han: if films were food then MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE — FALLOUT would sustain me for YEARS

Tomris Laffly: Yup! The Mission Impossible franchise is my drug and I am HIGH on Fallout! Good gracious!

Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE — FALLOUT is a masterpiece? Also I am working on a theory that Henry Cavill is a genius

Melissa Leon, The Daily Beast: oh man, Mission Impossible: Fallout is SO much fun. I have been yelling about it and smiling non-stop for an hour. THAT WAS AWESOME.

Germain Lussier: Mission: Impossible Fallout is relentless. It’s intense and so flat out exciting that you laugh because you can’t believe what you’re seeing. It’s incredible.

Dan Murrell, Screen Junkies: Mission: Impossible Fallout is another solid entry in the franchise. Twisty, funny, and with GREAT action. I think it’s unquestionably the best spy franchise around right now. Longer lived than Bourne and more consistent than Bond. I had a blast!

Chris Nashawaty, Entertainment Weekly: Mission: Impossible—Fallout was the movie I was most excited about going into the summer. I was not even remotely disappointed.

Stuart Oldham: "Mission Impossible: Fallout" is phenomenal, a blistering caper w/ echoes of The Dark Knight.

Jordan Raup: Mission: Impossible - Fallout is like tiptoeing across a sky-high tightrope for 2.5 hours. Flawless momentum, genuinely jaw-dropping setpieces. Henry Cavill is a fantastic addition. The best action movie since Fury Road.

Joe Reid, Decider: The new Mission Impossible is a very silly movie indeed.

Christopher Rosen: “Mission: Impossible Fallout” is fully my shit 10 out of 10

Mike Ryan, Uproxx: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT is the rare true direct sequel in this series. And we learn the most about Ethan Hunt. It’s the SKYFALL of M:I movies. Also, yes, it’s insanely exhilarating.

Peter Sciretta, SlashFilm: Mission Impossible: Fallout is AMAZING. Best movie of the Summer. You must see it on the biggest screen possible.

Zack Sharf, IndieWire: Goddamn. “Fallout” is an A+ action movie. The movie has the momentum of a freight train going off the rails, and when it does it’s exhilarating. Each action scene is breathles/engrossing in intensity and execution.

David Sims, The Atlantic: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT at one point caused me to involuntarily make this noise: “AHOOO”. if ROGUE NATION is about how Ethan Hunt is the literal manifestation of destiny, FALLOUT is about how he’s the SPIRITUAL GLUE HOLDING HUMANITY ALL TOGETHER

Matt Singer, ScreenCrush: I come bearing a simple message: Go see MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT on the biggest screen possible. Awesome.

Nigel M. Smith, People: Vanessa Kirby is my new obsession after seeing MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE — FALLOUT.

Jeff Sneider: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE may be @TomCruise & @ChrisMcQuarrie’s THE DARK KNIGHT. This is EASILY the best active film franchise, the best action movie of the summer, and between 10 & 100 times better than ANY Marvel movie. Cruise is the greatest movie star there is, was, & EVER will be.

E. Oliver Whitney, ScreenCrush: Mission: Impossible - Fallout is a god damn insane blast and then some. loved every bit of it.

Esther Zuckerman, Thrillist: I have never felt my heart drop watching an action sequence the way I did during the final set piece of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT.
    Wow! That's some amazing praise from all involved.
    Thanks for compiling and sharing this @DaltonCraig007
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Wow! That's some amazing praise from all involved.
    Thanks for compiling and sharing this @DaltonCraig007

Agreed. Awesome stuff!
    @TR007 I only copied and pasted the already-compiled reactions from reddit. ;-)

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/8y9ykc/mission_impossible_fallout_rave_reactions_go_wild/

@DaltonCraig007 Ah. Well in that case, I take it back ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I NEED this film immediately
    "It’s the SKYFALL of M:I movies. Also, yes, it’s insanely exhilarating." Now that is a wild combination!
    "It’s the SKYFALL of M:I movies. Also, yes, it’s insanely exhilarating." Now that is a wild combination!

It is a weird combination the person is clearly talking bollocks.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Just watched the Sky special with Alex Zane. Cruises passion for this franchise is incredible. He wants to keep pushing the envelope and excite the audience in new ways.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just watched the Sky special with Alex Zane. Cruises passion for this franchise is incredible. He wants to keep pushing the envelope and excite the audience in new ways.

I'm incredibly eager to see how he'll do that after stating he wants to do two or three more. Each movie gets bigger and ballsier in terms of the stunts, I love it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm incredibly eager to see how he'll do that after stating he wants to do two or three more. Each movie gets bigger and ballsier in terms of the stunts, I love it.

At the end of the programme, Alex Zane asks what is next, Tom says they already have some ideas in mind in terms of stunts.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I hope this movie lives up to the reviews... love Rogue Nation. I was glad this movie comes out a year before Bond to give them a kick in the butt instead of being upstaged. Not sure it's going to matter because I'd be surprised if Boyle cares

At the end of the programme, Alex Zane asks what is next, Tom says they already have some ideas in mind in terms of stunts.

"I'm envisioning flying a space shuttle, jumping out mid-flight to latch myself onto a satellite that needs fixed, just to tether back to the shuttle in the nick of time."
    @Creasy47 Would be fitting that Tom Cruise's first ever outer space scene in his filmography were to happen in a Mission Impossible film.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Indiewire: Tom Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie Deliver One of the Best Action Movies Ever Made.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/mission-impossible-fallout-review-tom-cruise-best-action-movie-1201983552/

Edit:

Fallout currently at 91 on Metacritic.

Capture_d_e_cran_2018_07_12_a_23_17_29.png
    I would love to take these reviews at face value, but it feels like with every major release there are those early reviews which are glowing praise for some reason. Suicide Squad had the same thing.
    I would love to take these reviews at face value, but it feels like with every major release there are those early reviews which are glowing praise for some reason. Suicide Squad had the same thing.

No, those are early reactions/social media reactions you're thinking of, which were released earlier and are positive for essentially every single movie. These are official reviews.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Fallout is my most anticipated film of the year, just from a few clips of the film it looks great. None spoiler reviews I have come across the movie sounds good, and the finale being shot in IMAX bring it on.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

No, those are early reactions/social media reactions you're thinking of, which were released earlier and are positive for essentially every single movie. These are official reviews.

Absolutely. There’s a big difference between early reactions from general audience/fans and actual reviews from movie reviewers. So needless to say, Fallout seems to be a hit.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    I hope this movie lives up to the reviews... love Rogue Nation. I was glad this movie comes out a year before Bond to give them a kick in the butt instead of being upstaged. Not sure it's going to matter because I'd be surprised if Boyle cares

I'd be inclined to agree. I can't imagine Babs or Craig would see this franchise as competition which is baffeling. They take their queues from other franchises like Batman and Bourne.