Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Does Tom Cruise have a stunt double in this film? No, this is not a jokey, rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious. Has he officially upped his game so much that he doesn't have a stunt double anymore??

I'm so excited for this movie, and these reviews are getting me more and more antsy. I can't believe it's another two weeks away. It feels like one :(
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Capture_d_e_cran_2018_07_13_a_00_46_12.png
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    TR007 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Babs or Craig would see this franchise as competition which is baffeling. They take their queues from other franchises like Batman and Bourne.
    Really.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I would love to take these reviews at face value, but it feels like with every major release there are those early reviews which are glowing praise for some reason. Suicide Squad had the same thing.

It did? I recall the complete opposite happening.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    "It’s the SKYFALL of M:I movies. Also, yes, it’s insanely exhilarating." Now that is a wild combination!

It is a weird combination the person is clearly talking bollocks.
    Well, not necessarily. He says before that this is the film we learn most about hunt as a person. I see the SF comparison in this context. And since everybody associates "not exhilarating" with SF, he adds that this film actually is exhilarating.

• edited July 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Just watched the Sky special with Alex Zane. Cruises passion for this franchise is incredible. He wants to keep pushing the envelope and excite the audience in new ways.

I'm incredibly eager to see how he'll do that after stating he wants to do two or three more. Each movie gets bigger and ballsier in terms of the stunts, I love it.

At the end of the programme, Alex Zane asks what is next, Tom says they already have some ideas in mind in terms of stunts.

"I'm envisioning flying a space shuttle, jumping out mid-flight to latch myself onto a satellite that needs fixed, just to tether back to the shuttle in the nick of time."
    Without a space suit. But that´s obvious.

Does Tom Cruise have a stunt double in this film? No, this is not a jokey, rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious. Has he officially upped his game so much that he doesn't have a stunt double anymore??

I guess it´s possible he has some stunts done by a double, but that would be a secret kept tighter than who´s running the Illuminati. It would blow their whole public relations concept to pieces.

I'm so excited for this movie, and these reviews are getting me more and more antsy. I can't believe it's another two weeks away. It feels like one :(

I guess it´s possible he has some stunts done by a double, but that would be a secret kept tighter than who´s running the Illuminati. It would blow their whole public relations concept to pieces.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,690
    At 98% and an average rating of 8.6/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout is on course to become the highest rated action film of all time on Rottentomatoes, beating the current #1, Mad Max: Fury Road. Which by default would put it in the top 5 highest rated film of all time, all genres included, on RT.
    Ok so this and Meg are the only two I am definitely seeing in cinemas this summer
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 3,333
    It's looking pretty positive so far for Fallout. But in all honestly I don't really care what RT's score is (after all The Last Jedi currently sits at 91% so it's certainly not a barometer for high quality or taste). Either way, I was sold before the critics had their say, and I'll be seeing it on the strength of its predecessor.

On a side note, that bathroom fight looks awesome. This is the sort of fight choreography that the last 2 Bond movies have been crying out for but sadly lacking. Let's hope Boyle is up to the task with his Bond 25.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondsum wrote: »
    On a side note, that bathroom fight looks awesome. This is the sort of fight choreography that the last 2 Bond movies have been crying out for but sadly lacking. Let's hope Boyle is up to the task with his Bond 25.

This 100%
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I still don't know why Sean Harris does not promote his films and don`t give any interviews. Does anybody have an idea why is that?
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 669
    [quote/] On a side note, that bathroom fight looks awesome. This is the sort of fight choreography that the last 2 Bond movies have been crying out for but sadly lacking. Let's hope Boyle is up to the task with his Bond 25.[/quote]

I would respectfully argue that the train fight in SP was terrific.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The train fight was the highlight of SP for me, but it looks to have nothing on that bathroom fight. Time will tell.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    For the 'Bond that bleeds' he came out of that bruising fight with Mr Hinx, relatively unscathed. Actually, forget relatively, I don't remember Bond showing signs of being even slightly scrapped in that fight.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He did break a sweat, though. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Not unusual for a special agent, I remember Ethan Hawk was killed and a few minutes later was up and driving in a car chase. All believable, realistic stuff. :D
    For the 'Bond that bleeds' he came out of that bruising fight with Mr Hinx, relatively unscathed. Actually, forget relatively, I don't remember Bond showing signs of being even slightly scrapped in that fight.

There's never any consequences to Bond being injured in Craig's era it would seem, particularly in SP: near death in that train fight, making love moments later. Being painfully tortured to the point that he shouldn't be able to walk or recognize anyone? That's nothing, he'll escape and gun down bad guys with expert precision just a minute later!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

There's never any consequences to Bond being injured in Craig's era it would seem, particularly in SP: near death in that train fight, making love moments later. Being painfully tortured to the point that he shouldn't be able to walk or recognize anyone? That's nothing, he'll escape and gun down bad guys with expert precision just a minute later!

Up until recently, I did have some good things to say about SP, but now the newness has worn off... i'm struggling to think of something to like about it. Other than Bond walking across the rooftops while the Bond theme plays... there isn't anything.

And while i'm on the topic of SP, for all the talk of the big explosion, was it really that impressive? I don't believe it was. Mendes probably spent more on that one explosion than the entire budget of LTK, but the explosions during the Tanker chase look far more impressive.
    @MajorDSmythe, LTK does cheat a bit by having Timothy Dalton's badassery causing massive explosions of its own. ;)
    @MajorDSmythe, LTK does cheat a bit by having Timothy Dalton's badassery causing massive explosions of its own. ;)

Good point, and one I can't argue with.
    I remember being so excited after hearing there was a one shot in the film, just to realize it's several shots stitched together and is nothing more than Bond and Estrella walking.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Up until recently, I did have some good things to say about SP, but now the newness has worn off... i'm struggling to think of something to like about it. Other than Bond walking across the rooftops while the Bond theme plays... there isn't anything.

And while i'm on the topic of SP, for all the talk of the big explosion, was it really that impressive? I don't believe it was. Mendes probably spent more on that one explosion than the entire budget of LTK, but the explosions during the Tanker chase look far more impressive.

I agree on the SP explosion. There are other more impressive explosions in the series.

When I first recorded GF on a Beta VCR the explosion of the drug warehouse made the picture flip. That's pretty impressive. And the explosion of the Disco Volante supposedly shattered windows in Nassau miles away. Those and the LTK explosion top the SP one just off the top of my head.
    Can't wait to see this. Bond 25 has some act to follow. Plus I can't believe there are so many Tom Cruise haters. He's made some of the most enjoyable films of the last 30 years or so. Plus the stunts hes prepared to perform are unbelievable. Much better than all the green screen rubbish that most so called tough guy actors resort to. Over to you Dan for B25.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Can't wait to see this. Bond 25 has some act to follow. Plus I can't believe there are so many Tom Cruise haters. He's made some of the most enjoyable films of the last 30 years or so. Plus the stunts hes prepared to perform are unbelievable. Much better than all the green screen rubbish that most so called tough guy actors resort to. Over to you Dan for B25.

I've never understood the Cruise hate either as I've been a fan since his early work in films like Risky Business and The Outsiders when I was a teenager. It could stem from his being very successful, his outspoken support of Scientology or some of his bizarre behavior.

All I know is the guy is a completely devoted professional and brings the results to the screen. He seems like the kind of person if you were to meet him he would be genuine and friendly. Bring on MI Fallout and then the Top Gun sequel.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »

I've never understood the Cruise hate either as I've been a fan since his early work in films like Risky Business and The Outsiders when I was a teenager. It could stem from his being very successful, his outspoken support of Scientology or some of his bizarre behavior.

All I know is the guy is a completely devoted professional and brings the results to the screen. He seems like the kind of person if you were to meet him he would be genuine and friendly. Bring on MI Fallout and then the Top Gun sequel.

This 100%. I guess the hate comes from the fact that he can be "weird"? But who here isn't weird in their own way? From what I can tell, he's never done anything criminal, never gotten drunk and made a fool of himself, never gotten into a publicized shouting match on a project. It seems unanimous that he's one of the friendliest and most down-to-earth people to work with on any film set, and he's certainly one of the most devoted actors in the world. He doesn't give anything less than 100%. Plus, he's a terrific actor. IMO, he's one of our last great movie stars, and we'll never see another like him.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    People hate him because he's a member of one of the most messed up and universally despised organizations in the world.

That said, he's got immense star power and I'll gladly watch a new MI film, as would most.