What does Gen Z want in the next Bond?

For the franchise to live forever, it depends on the young blood. It's not about me and what I want. The franchise needs a Bond that will appeal to people under age 20.

Fans like me will watch every Bond movie that comes out, but for the younger audience, they may not yet be invested in it.

I know a lot of people on here are older, but maybe you have kids/neices/nephews who are into it. I'm curious on how they feel about it.

Comments

• quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    edited October 15 Posts: 38
    I am a 37 year old, so for me the movies are good as they are, but i think people younger than me maybe knows what they want in 007.
    for me, there must be a cool girl, a car chase, some jokes and a trouble that 007 need to resolve before the credits.
    I realize this forum isn't the best sample for Gen Z. I assume many people here are age 30+.

Younger people tend to be on social media platforms, big platforms with smaller communities inside of it, rather than message boards.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Is Gen Z “people who came of age around the release of World War Z”?
    This is something I've often wondered about

Why do people think that younger viewers need to see a person near their own age in a role in order to identify with it?

For myself, when I was a kid I much preferred watching Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape", "The Magnificent Seven" or "Nevada Smith" to watching some kid my one age in a Disney movie

I had no trouble relating to adult Steve McQueen, because I wanted to be like him (as he seemed on screen) rather than be like another kid, which I already was

steve-mcqueen-neile1.jpg

Seve wrote: »

Why do people think that younger viewers need to see a person near their own age in a role in order to identify with it?

For myself, when I was a kid I much preferred watching Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape", "The Magnificent Seven" or "Nevada Smith" to watching some kid my one age in a Disney movie

I had no trouble relating to adult Steve McQueen, because I wanted to be like him (as he seemed on screen) rather than be like another kid, which I already was

steve-mcqueen-neile1.jpg

This. For me it was McQueen, Bogart and Cagney. I'm not so sure age is that important to the younger generation going to movies. Downey, Cruise, and Keanu are all well into their fifties and HUGE box office draws in popular franchises.
    They won't care as long as the new Bond carries himself with confidence , can kick ass and is also fallible.

steve-mcqueen-neile1.jpg

Yes, you nailed it with me as well. As a teenage Bond fan in the '80s, I looked up to Connery, Lazenby and Moore as my action guys. Moore was obviously aging, but he was Bond, so it was okay. If you were cool, you were cool, age wasn't a factor and I had a lot of movie heroes who weren't necessarily of my generation.

This also reminds me of the situation around 2002 before DAD was released and Vin Diesel had that XxX movie coming out and he put Bond down saying kids can't identify with a hero who wears a suit. So which film did better business and which series is still going on with the guy in the suit?

Besides, if you let Gen Z cast a film, they may select some influencer or TikTok star.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited 4:25pm Posts: 59
    This is something I've often wondered about. Why do people think that younger viewers need to see a person near their own age in a role in order to identify with it?
    I blame Buffy! That programme made producers realise that adults as well as kids would watch teenage protagonists and since then they've cast younger and younger all the time. I hoped it was a fad, but...
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    21 year old Bond fan with several 21 year old Bond fans as friends, here. When we were younger and Skyfall/Spectre were premiering, James Bond was an aspirational figure, and in similar ways, he still is. Bond represents an ideal man- someone with unshakeable confidence who can do what he wants, when he wants, but largely does the right thing. He hits the same "badass anti-hero" node that Wolverine and Batman do, and nobody's clamoring for them to get any more PC.

Bond can't be forcing himself on women in a barn anymore, but the rest of the character works well. Just make sure the action and aesthetics are stylistically fresh (NTTD did this very well) and you'll have us coming back for more. We're not THAT hard to please.

The question is very good, but the target audience is the wrong one. People who give answers here will already be Bond fans. The trick is to appaell to the people who aren't.