ARGYLLE - Matthew Vaughn/Henry Cavill spy movie series

13»

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    That trailer makes me think it's exactly as absurd as Kingsman. I don't like this stylised violence promotion where cause and effect are completely seperated. It's unhealthy, to say the least.
    Will be the closet Cavill gets to Bond me thinks.

The closest he got was THE MAN FROM UNCLE, as the character of Napoleon Solo was developed by Fleming himself.

Ian Fleming's other spy.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 8 Posts: 4,444
    Movie opens in The Netherlands with $461,151 with 110 theater counts. That's very disapointed with that high theater count.

Total count of the movie world wide is on this moment $37,343,215.

35257_174352_ps_sd-high.jpg

Universal should be happy now that NTTD and Oppenheimer did a lot more then expect, because it turn out Argylle not have good first weak overall. Whyle promotion is not that much as those two other movies.

It also turn out movie is promoted to much as Henry Cavill movie whyle he only have 7 minutes of screentime and movie with 139 minutes is to long.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yet another bomb? I'm not shocked after seeing the film for myself. I can't stress just how consistently awful it was from start to finish. Embarrassing, really.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @Creasy47
    Sad to read that you didn't like it at all. I planned to watch this one in cinema but changed my mind after the disappointing reviews, especially when they also point out that there is too much CGI and it is said that the CGI is bad. And when a Bondfan like you says it is awful...well that's definitely an alarming sign for me.

I liked Layer Cake, had a great time with Stardust and I absolutely love Kickass and the first Kingsman.
    Sadly, Vaughn doesn't find back to strength so far and increases the CGI instead.
    @Creasy47
    Sad to read that you didn't like it at all. I planned to watch this one in cinema but changed my mind after the disappointing reviews, especially when they also point out that there is too much CGI and it is said that the CGI is bad. And when a Bondfan like you says it is awful...well that's definitely an alarming sign for me.

I liked Layer Cake, had a great time with Stardust and I absolutely love Kickass and the first Kingsman.
    Sadly, Vaughn doesn't find back to strength so far and increases the CGI instead.

Thank you! I "get" the approach they were going for but it was a huge misfire in 2024 and none of the visuals or CGI or cinematography, any of it, felt like it was anything but bottom of the barrel. I fiercely disliked this one but did go into it with semi-hopeful expectations that it'd deliver in some form or fashion.

Thankfully, it rarely happens, but I legitimately don't have one good thing to say about it from start to finish. It's almost impressive in a way. It seemed almost exclusively created for the purpose of a "big twist" that was anything but. Contrived nonsense.
    Won't be watching this in the cinema, but the reviews make me curious enough to have it noted down as a movie to watch when it's released on home media. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Won't be watching this in the cinema, but the reviews make me curious enough to have it noted down as a movie to watch when it's released on home media. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I didn't have to pay to see it and still felt like I wanted my money back. You should absolutely check it out for the price of free in the near future. Given its box office returns, I imagine it'll be available online/streaming sooner rather than later.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I didn't have to pay to see it and still felt like I wanted my money back. You should absolutely check it out for the price of free in the near future. Given its box office returns, I imagine it'll be available online/streaming sooner rather than later.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Argylle will be on a streaming service soon enough!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I believe the plan was always that it's heading to Apple after a short spell in cinemas.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Some one spoiled Argylle for me, what was said did not inspire confidence I will wait until its a cheap rental.I did end up watching one of the later scenes its looked a bit rough.
    Thankfully, Vaughn was kind enough to let me know almost immediately in the opening what kind of action focus he was going for, with some of the worst CGI I've seen in a while to boot, so it let me know I at least didn't need to look forward to anything action-oriented for the rest of the film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 8 Posts: 23,376
    Thankfully, Vaughn was kind enough to let me know almost immediately in the opening what kind of action focus he was going for, with some of the worst CGI I've seen in a while to boot, so it let me know I at least didn't need to look forward to anything action-oriented for the rest of the film.
    I saw the scene when Argylle/R.Kyle had the blonde hair cut and was fighting, it looked pretty bad. I got from the trailer the Cavill was likely not to feature much, though I heard he actually turns up at the end.
    I saw the scene when Argylle/R.Kyle had the blonde hair cut and was fighting, it looked pretty bad. I got from the trailer the Cavill was likely not to feature much, though I heard he actually turns up at the end.
    Was that the "colorful ballet" scene in the hallway? If so, I scoffed and chuckled so much at that bit. I genuinely could not believe someone seriously came up with that idea and then got paid to film it.
    Was that the "colorful ballet" scene in the hallway? If so, I scoffed and chuckled so much at that bit. I genuinely could not believe someone seriously came up with that idea and then got paid to film it.

It was very similar to the Harley Quinn scene in James Gunn's Suicide Squad except that was done better.lol

It was very similar to the Harley Quinn scene in James Gunn's Suicide Squad except that was done better.lol

I didn't see that one. I saw the one directed by Ayer and that was more than enough for me.

I didn't see that one. I saw the one directed by Ayer and that was more than enough for me.

Gunn's SS is better, though it does have a lot of mean spirited humor with quite a few crazy scenes,

Gunn's SS is better, though it does have a lot of mean spirited humor with quite a few crazy scenes,

Well I'm all for mean-spirited humor, that's some of the best!
    The poster alone makes me not want Cavill as the next Bond.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Took advantage of Cinemark's discount Tuesday deal to go see this.

I'll preface my comments by saying that I typically like Matthew Vaughan’s films though his second Kingsman film was a misfire for me. This one worked better as over the top, sometimes utterly goofy fun that borders on spoof at times. Indeed, Vaughan never directing a Daniel Craig Bond film seems down to his tastes being more Moore than Dalton or Craig. And as a writer and cat person, the opening chunk of the film with Bryce Dallas Howard dealing with both was both fun and surprisingly close to life at moments!

Was it perfect? Nope. For something that Vaughan claimed would be a genre changer, Argylle is really an extension of Kingsman. Something that, incidentally,
    isn’t an accident as the mid-credits scene proved with a direct tie-in to Kingsman that raised more questions that we're ever likely to ger answered given the reception to the film critically and its low box-office take.

It’s a brain candy spy film, clearly, but one that seems to have aspirations in places of doing something more. Which would be fine except, as a writer at least watching it, it telegraphs its big twist and had been doing so in the recent trailers for anyone watching out. Which is a shame because there’s a lot of fun here and I really enjoyed both Bryce Dallas Howard and Henry Cavill especially in this.

It's also frustrating because of how it was originally announced, with Vaughan invoking the likes of le Carre and Forsyth (who get namechecked in the film). Except he delivered some that was the polar opposite of their work. Something which, in turn, led to the marketing (and a tie-in novel) pulling bait and switch shenanigans over the last couple of years. Something that has been reflected in the marmite reactions to the film I've seen.

Indeed, my biggest takeaways are that it’s a shame Cavill won’t ever be Bond and we need more spy movies with cats. Oh and Lorne Balfe is my next choice for Bond composer based on his score here (minus Vaughan’s unusually off song choices) and his earlier work on Gemini Man.
    I'm more interested what Cavill, GW, and Amazon will create with regards to the Warhammer 40K universe?!!!!! It is a guilty pleasure of mine!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I'm more interested what Cavill, GW, and Amazon will create with regards to the Warhammer 40K universe?!!!!! It is a guilty pleasure of mine!

I know almost nothing about the property and its lore but Cavill's fanboy excitement for it is pretty contagious.
  • edited February 10 Posts: 12,837
    Yet another bomb? I'm not shocked after seeing the film for myself. I can't stress just how consistently awful it was from start to finish. Embarrassing, really.

Cheers @Creasy47. I was on the fence about seeing it because I didn’t think the trailers looked very good, and then the reviews came out. I was still considering it, because the last couple of Kingsman films didn’t get good reviews either, and I liked those. But your comments have sealed it for me, I’ll wait for it to hit streaming.
    Speaking of Kingsman, can someone explain how it’s linked to that series? It’s the only thing that really interests me about it. Don’t care about spoilers. I just read the synopsis to try and find out but I didn’t really understand. Is this film set in the “real world”, while Kingsman is part of the world of the Argylle books?

Cheers @Creasy47. I was on the fence about seeing it because I didn’t think the trailers looked very good, and then the reviews came out. I was still considering it, because the last couple of Kingsman films didn’t get good reviews either, and I liked those. But your comments have sealed it for me, I’ll wait for it to hit streaming.
    Speaking of Kingsman, can someone explain how it’s linked to that series? It’s the only thing that really interests me about it. Don’t care about spoilers. I just read the synopsis to try and find out but I didn’t really understand. Is this film set in the “real world”, while Kingsman is part of the world of the Argylle books?
    Here's a description of the mid-credits scene from Wiki:

"In a mid-credits scene, a young Argylle is revealed to be a Kingsman agent, with the first novel being based on his life."
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Just watched it tonight. The story is completely bonkers and bananas, but it's 150 minutes of hilarious entertainment. Like a McDonaöld'ds meal. You enjoy it, when you eat it, but aafterwards you forget it. But sometimes it's just, what you need.
  • edited February 27 Posts: 303
    Madame Web is regarded by some film critics to be the worst superhero film ever. However, it opened to bigger box office than Argylle. ;)) So no matter how shit*y it is... Marvel/Disney can say to Apple "na na na na na!"

t3WUC2RrpavkmLEArCLMFPH9X9OBtYyZ1RLgwxYAM-ZM-w6zKBmPRDiSGkU_gBsT-Y3GkebCCWMGfK-Uq2wRKnx2YMHOplH_Dl5hsOmVhymzINv5F3uEIRnIXC1sLSUUD4196Iy6Pa69cV72csslUbQSoqfw-HVaSTw

Having done three spy(ish) films already, HC probably shouldn't be the next Bond. Perhaps an actor we haven't seen previously as a Bond-like character, but can play the part.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Saw this last week and enjoyed it very much, more than Kingsman (which I found a bit 'ooh we're doing Bond but EDGY, with SWEARING'). Though I had to check with a friend beforehand that the cat survives. Clever and fun.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Having done three spy(ish) films already, HC probably shouldn't be the next Bond. Perhaps an actor we haven't seen previously as a Bond-like character, but can play the part.

By that logic, Roger Moore would never have been cast. Cavill is the new Moore I reckon. (Let’s be honest, historically, every Bond from Moore onwards was someone who got/almost got the part, then waited til the next time — right up until Craig.)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Good to read some positive comments about Argylle.