ARGYLLE - Matthew Vaughn/Henry Cavill spy movie series

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    What the hell?

No trailer as promised, suspiciously. But we do get this piece, which seems to give away A LOT.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/09/argylle-henry-cavill-dua-lipa-bryce-dallas-howard
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 14,962
    Here’s the trailer:

https://x.com/argyllemovie/status/1707289311161229524?s=46&t=DrSft9SScWOr6ycsq2Nv4w

It’s not what you may have expected…!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    Here’s the trailer:

https://x.com/argyllemovie/status/1707289311161229524?s=46&t=DrSft9SScWOr6ycsq2Nv4w

It’s not what you may have expected…!

I will definitely watch it because of who is involved, director and cast etc.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Romancing the Stone meets Kingsman then. Looks alright, and pretty much wouldn’t rule Cavill out of the Bond running due to it being part parody.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess it depends who ‘the real Argylle’ teased at the end is.
    The article seems to give away that
    Sam Rockwell is the real Argylle

Which makes me wonder why Cavill is top billed, if his character in the film is a fictional character made up by Bryce Dallas Howard’s character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not sure that's right, as we seem to see their first meeting in the trailer.
    I'm sorry, but that looks so bad. Bland, bad, and honestly, I struggled to get to the end of the trailer. Won't be watching this, I'm afraid. Not in a theatre, anyway.

Stuff like this made me embarrassed to be a fan of the espionage genre. CR67, Austin Powers, SpyKids, Johnny English, Get Smart, Red,... You name it. At least during the last 20 years we've had things like Bourne and some good Le Carré adaptations to make up for all the nonsense. And Bond followed a serious thread, which I must say I am more appreciative of than ever after watching this trailer. About bringing Bond to the light and fun side of things again? No thanks. I don't want soap opera drama, but I sure as hell don't want this either.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,058
    Wasn’t amazed by the trailer. Starry cast, but it looked real cheap and the CGI (which I would hope is unfinished) just looked poor.

Dua Lipa looks hot, at least.

The bit at the start, with the dancing, spotlights and gas from the ceiling…. very NTTD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, similar situation with Kingsman really: those films clearly had a lower budget than a Bond, for example, and always have a strangely studio-based feel.
    But his stuff is always imaginative enough to be worth a look. It's just a shame that The Lost City came out recently and already used a variation on the Joan Wilder thing.

I'm curious why Cavill has top billing as he doesn't look to be the lead. I presume he's in it more than it seems from this.
    Let’s all be thankful Vaughn will never be allowed near Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think he might make a good Bond movie, but I'm not sure he'd want to as this feels like his second spin on the idea of Bond and taking it somewhere else that a Bond film never could. Doing an actual Bond might feel like a step back for him.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    He said that he wants do Bond, but Eon doesn’t want him. I suspect he cast Cavill because Eon also doesn’t want him either, so Vaughn is making these movies as his outlet of sorts.

I do find it weird that after making a trilogy of spy films that were intended to turn spy tropes on their heads, that he’s making yet another trilogy that does the exact same thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it does make him seem slightly fascinated with Bond.
  • Looks like the type of movie a director makes when they can't get a Bond movie and everyone is relieved he never got one.
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that looks so bad. Bland, bad, and honestly, I struggled to get to the end of the trailer. Won't be watching this, I'm afraid. Not in a theatre, anyway.

Stuff like this made me embarrassed to be a fan of the espionage genre. CR67, Austin Powers, SpyKids, Johnny English, Get Smart, Red,... You name it. At least during the last 20 years we've had things like Bourne and some good Le Carré adaptations to make up for all the nonsense. And Bond followed a serious thread, which I must say I am more appreciative of than ever after watching this trailer. About bringing Bond to the light and fun side of things again? No thanks. I don't want soap opera drama, but I sure as hell don't want this either.

I guess the true identity of Argylle is da da daaaa.... a cat 🐈!

Oh well. Major plot twist revealed. No point seeing it now. 🤭

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! It could be!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The CGI work doesn’t bother me in the least; it’s obvious a very stylized film and not meant to be realistic.
    I’ll give this a chance.
  • This trailer only confirms that Vaughn is not right for Bond 26.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    My avatar is my expression while watching that trailer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hopefully this one surprises me when I finally see it in full, as that trailer wasn't particularly outstanding. Great to see Rockwell getting in on the action again though, he's a wonderful performer.

$200 million for this in hopes of launching a series though? I wish them luck.
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm curious why Cavill has top billing as he doesn't look to be the lead. I presume he's in it more than it seems from this.

Unless they have his fictional character enter the real world like LAST ACTION HERO, it’s an odd choice.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,930
    Univex wrote: »
    About bringing Bond to the light and fun side of things again? No thanks.
    Seconded.
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I guess the true identity of Argylle is da da daaaa.... a cat 🐈!
    I reckon you've hit it dead on, bondywondy!
    This trailer only confirms that Vaughn is not right for Bond 26.
    Yeah, agreed.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    My avatar is my expression while watching that trailer.
    :D
  • Should be fun but obviously not in same ball park as Bond.
  • Looks direct-to-Netflix to me.
  • Will be the closet Cavill gets to Bond me thinks.
    Will be the closet Cavill gets to Bond me thinks.

The closest he got was THE MAN FROM UNCLE, as the character of Napoleon Solo was developed by Fleming himself.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which I'm sure is the thinking behind William Boyd's Bond novel being titled 'SOLO', as it was a word that Fleming obviously favoured.