Oscars 2021 predictions

2»

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    It looked like Rock had a comeback come to mind and decided not to have this escalate into a full-on brawl on stage at the Oscars...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Embarrassing.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If I were Chris Rock my comeback would have been “okay Will, time for you to go to your auntie and uncle in Bel Air”.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I generally don't like Rock but I love Smith. Nothing that transpired yesterday is likely going to change that.
  • What gets me is Smith was actually laughing at the joke at first. I understand defending your woman and all that, but that was embarrassing for Smith. Rock at least handled that professionally afterwards.
    What gets me is Smith was actually laughing at the joke at first. I understand defending your woman and all that, but that was embarrassing for Smith. Rock at least handled that professionally afterwards.

I guess Smith wasn't sure how to react at first, and then something boiled up inside him fast. Rock wasn't being professional, he was lucky. If Smith had done nothing, Rock would have taken a lot of heat, I presume. Now it's Smith who takes some of the blame too. Once again, the 'bully' gets away with it because his 'target' wanted to get even.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 2,861
    All this drama and still barely anyone watched the damn thing.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 2,041
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    What gets me is Smith was actually laughing at the joke at first. I understand defending your woman and all that, but that was embarrassing for Smith. Rock at least handled that professionally afterwards.

I guess Smith wasn't sure how to react at first, and then something boiled up inside him fast. Rock wasn't being professional, he was lucky. If Smith had done nothing, Rock would have taken a lot of heat, I presume. Now it's Smith who takes some of the blame too. Once again, the 'bully' gets away with it because his 'target' wanted to get even.

What I meant by professional in this instance is that Rock at least didn’t feel the need to escalate that after the slap at all. It’s not like he went trying to hit Smith or anything like if that sort. I feel bad for Smith in a sense because this is going into yet another session of kicking a man while he’s down, but I still think it was an embarrassing moment in general. Not a good look for either Smith, Rock, or the Oscars.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    For the first time in a long time, people are talking. If only it was for the awards. I would give this years Oscars, 4 Will Smith slaps out of 5.

That's what's pretty funny here. I'm sure he wasted no time laughing at jokes at the expense of others all night but can't handle one directed at his family (or at least could, until he saw Jada's slight disapproval and thought assaulting someone else was the smart choice). Insane.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

That's what's pretty funny here. I'm sure he wasted no time laughing at jokes at the expense of others all night but can't handle one directed at his family (or at least could, until he saw Jada's slight disapproval and thought assaulting someone else was the smart choice). Insane.

Absolutely insane. It shows how fragile the ego of some of these celebrities are.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 40,449
    This year's awards saw a slight increase from last year but still comes in at the second-lowest in Oscars history. Oof:

https://deadline.com/2022/03/2022-oscars-tv-ratings-rise-academy-awards-abc-disney-will-smith-chris-rock-1234989041/
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 613
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yep. Rock made a tasteless joke, but there was no reason for Smith to get up and slap him. Rather than escalate things, Rock moved on. He was the bigger man.

Similar to Tom Cruise (a fellow Scientologist), Smith likes to project the image of being a nice guy and having it together... but then the curtain will drop every so often and you can see that he's completely unhinged.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,524
    The lack of interest in the Oscars is no surprise. All that "we are so moral about everything" crap isn't doing the Academy any favors. You can only win best film if so and so quota are met, nevermind whether the film is actually the best of the year.

Also, nowadays people don't care about awards, they care about likes. One is no longer praised for one's achievements but for the number of one's followers online.

Another issue is that half the time awards go to films that hardly anyone has seen. The big ones, the massive crowd pleasers, the films that are the bread and butter for cinemas and allow the small fish a pool to swim in, have a history of being scandalously overlooked. Not always, of course.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    As I commented in the other thread ... I will copy it here. Will is 100% wrong; physical assault and battery is not to be condoned. Making light of this, shrugging it off, is perhaps human nature for some people; that does not make it all right. Please think this through.

Can we just NOT DO THIS. In any form.

No matter your personal opinion (had it coming, I'd do the same thing; way over the line, not defensible - ETC.) the last thing I (or others, I hope) want to see is chat about hitting a woman or ANYBODY, any gender or age, being "okay" or "deserved" on this forum. Just don't. It is offensive and can lead, even if subliminally, to minimize or condoning any sort, any degree of assault or battery on women (or men).

Violence is wrong. Pick another thread for cheering this on. I am writing this just to have my say. Joking about it, saying a woman should be hit {reference to another comment}, is not ever okay (even as a casual, just kidding, remark). And that should apply to men, to everybody.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 2,894
    From John Cleese on Twitter:
    Being very old gives one a wider perspective on today's events...

The 'slap' is as nothing, compared with Cary Grant kneeing Gary Cooper in the groin, Doris Day stomping on Esther Williams's goldfish and Bob Hope's grisly suicide.

And all in the same year - 1952!
  • I quite liked the 60th Anniversary video , edited well and they picked a good song! Of course some fan edited ones have been much better over the years but it was well done .
    I quite liked the 60th Anniversary video , edited well and they picked a good song! Of course some fan edited ones have been much better over the years but it was well done .

As opposed to the video for The Godfather 50th anniversary tribute. They begin well enough with the Godfather theme music and then make the mistake of putting some kind of hip hop music under the remaining that completely stripped the power of the scenes, to try to likely make it more appealing for a younger crowd into that music. It was great to see Coppola, Pacino and De Niro but it just felt abbreviated compared with the other tributes.
    If anyone wants to continue this conversation in the provided thread, feel free and I'll close this one up to avoid confusion:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/20812/the-2022-oscars-thread#latest

Oh please! I have seen you write countless essays here on how political correctness ruins comedy, how people should be able to accept jokes they find offensive. Now you are more or less defending Smith's right to react with violence just because he is a celebrity you like? :-??

Will Smith will not take 'some of the heat'. He will take all of the heat, and rightly so!
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,524
    jobo wrote: »

Oh please! I have seen you write countless essays here on how political correctness ruins comedy, how people should be able to accept jokes they find offensive. Now you are more or less defending Smith's right to react with violence just because he is a celebrity you like? :-??

Will Smith will not take 'some of the heat'. He will take all of the heat, and rightly so!

Oh I agree. I'm absolutely biased. I have admitted that already. And I know that Smith was wrong. I have admitted that too. I have also admitted that I'm not sure what I would have done in his place.

If it had been Smith on stage and Rock blowing in with a smack, I might not have been so fast to say that he was right. I did let my liking of Smith and disliking of Chris Rock cloud my judgement. But, three days later, I'm seeing things a bit differently, still not as black-and-white as some, but differently. I do not approve of what Smith did, but I'm still not sure how I would've reacted in his place.

Also, this will not change my appreciation for Will Smith the actor. Because if I let an actor's personal life get in the way (Cruise, Connery, ...) or a director's ethics (Hitchcock, Whedon, ...) I'd have almost no films to enjoy anymore.

Lastly, I didn't go back to change my first few points because I think it's okay that I can change my mind after some time.
    jobo wrote: »

Oh I agree. I'm absolutely biased. I have admitted that already. And I know that Smith was wrong. I have admitted that too. I have also admitted that I'm not sure what I would have done in his place.

If it had been Smith on stage and Rock blowing in with a smack, I might not have been so fast to say that he was right. I did let my liking of Smith and disliking of Chris Rock cloud my judgement. But, three days later, I'm seeing things a bit differently, still not as black-and-white as some, but differently. I do not approve of what Smith did, but I'm still not sure how I would've reacted in his place.

Also, this will not change my appreciation for Will Smith the actor. Because if I let an actor's personal life get in the way (Cruise, Connery, ...) or a director's ethics (Hitchcock, Whedon, ...) I'd have almost no films to enjoy anymore.

Lastly, I didn't go back to change my first few points because I think it's okay that I can change my mind after some time.

Good to see someone admitting they were wrong. Not so usual to see these days.
    @jobo

I was too quick to respond, and my fan love for Will Smith bled over to this discussion way too easily. So yes, I admit I was wrong. I don't mind saying so, either.

I also think the matter is not quite as right-or-wrong as people seem to think. There's the fact that, indeed, no comedy should result in violence. And then there's a man under a lot of stress who was about to break anyway, obviously struggling with this unexpected spotlight moment for his wife, not knowing how to respond at first, then overcompensating for that the next moment. Norman Bates said that "we all go a little mad sometimes," and he was right. But that doesn't ever justify violence, of course.
    @DarthDimi

Norman Bates is indeed a role model to have ;) :P

But yeah, I agree with you. Bottom line is that the Oscars was yet again a horribly bad show