The 2022 Oscars Thread

edited March 2022 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,344
It's been now a week or so that the nominations for the Academy Awards have been annunced, and I haven't seen anything at all here about it. So I figured that I might as well post one myself (even if my last attempt was not really sucessful). And as usual, I will post the nominated songs, and my own previsions as to which one is going to win.

Doesn't do a thing for me, but that's Beyonce, so maybe ?

Disney has historically done well at the Oscars, so another maybe. Plus, it's not as if there wasn't a spanish language song that won already.

I love Van Morrison, and an Oscar would be a fitting achievement for such an illustrious career. And it would be deserved.

All right, everyone here knows this song. As a Bond fan, of course I wish it to win. But, let's face it, "Skyfall" it isn't.

Probably the wild card of the deck. The song is good, but seeing it win would be a surprise.

Now on to your predictions, and your comments when the Oscars are awarded.

Comments

I think the Oscars has lost its relevance nowadays. I see it as a back slapping exercise each year for a select few.

Highlighted especially over the last 2 years or so with the Blockbuster movies getting next to no recognition especially when you consider what type of mainstream movies keep the Cinemas in business.

So i for one genuinely do not bother with the Oscars.
    Funny : I had opened that thread to discuss this year's oscars, and everyone and his father have gone to the one about last year. Maybe one single Oscar Thread would be enough, just like we have only one Eurovision thread. What do you think ?

And it's too bad that Will Smith (and Chris Rock's) antics have hidden the fact that, for the third time in a row, a Bond song got the Oscar. Bravo, bravo, bravissimo, Bilie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    Funny : I had opened that thread to discuss this year's oscars, and everyone and his father have gone to the one about last year. Maybe one single Oscar Thread would be enough, just like we have only one Eurovision thread. What do you think ?

And it's too bad that Will Smith (and Chris Rock's) antics have hidden the fact that, for the third time in a row, a Bond song got the Oscar. Bravo, bravo, bravissimo, Bilie.

Yes, this can be repurposed for next year. The main discussion this year seems to have come from the slap, so there's not much need to have a new one every single time.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper By the powers *in*vested in me by this parish, I hereby do commandeer this message board
    Gerard wrote: »

You're right, I hadn't even noticed so far...but then I don't really like those three, either :-).

Now would someone please relieve the thread title from its redundant "e"? Thank you.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You've got it, @j_w_pepper.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper By the powers *in*vested in me by this parish, I hereby do commandeer this message board
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You've got it, @j_w_pepper.

Thank you very much.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How-Many-Oscars-Does-Will-Smith-Have-2.jpg
    Will Smite
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I quite liked the 60th Anniversary video , edited well and they picked a good song! Of course some fan edited ones have been much better over the years but it was well done .

As opposed to the video for The Godfather 50th anniversary tribute. They begin well enough with the Godfather theme music and then make the mistake of putting some kind of hip hop music under the remaining that completely stripped the power of the scenes, to try to likely make it more appealing for a younger crowd into that music. It was great to see Coppola, Pacino and De Niro but it just felt abbreviated compared with the other tributes.

Doesn’t surprise me. Gangster films like GODFATHER, SCARFACE, and GOODFELLAS have a HUGE hip-hop following.