The (insert year here) Oscars Thread

edited March 10 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,772
It's been now a week or so that the nominations for the Academy Awards have been annunced, and I haven't seen anything at all here about it. So I figured that I might as well post one myself (even if my last attempt was not really sucessful). And as usual, I will post the nominated songs, and my own previsions as to which one is going to win.

Doesn't do a thing for me, but that's Beyonce, so maybe ?

Disney has historically done well at the Oscars, so another maybe. Plus, it's not as if there wasn't a spanish language song that won already.

I love Van Morrison, and an Oscar would be a fitting achievement for such an illustrious career. And it would be deserved.

All right, everyone here knows this song. As a Bond fan, of course I wish it to win. But, let's face it, "Skyfall" it isn't.

Probably the wild card of the deck. The song is good, but seeing it win would be a surprise.

Now on to your predictions, and your comments when the Oscars are awarded.

Comments

I think the Oscars has lost its relevance nowadays. I see it as a back slapping exercise each year for a select few.

Highlighted especially over the last 2 years or so with the Blockbuster movies getting next to no recognition especially when you consider what type of mainstream movies keep the Cinemas in business.

So i for one genuinely do not bother with the Oscars.
    Funny : I had opened that thread to discuss this year's oscars, and everyone and his father have gone to the one about last year. Maybe one single Oscar Thread would be enough, just like we have only one Eurovision thread. What do you think ?

And it's too bad that Will Smith (and Chris Rock's) antics have hidden the fact that, for the third time in a row, a Bond song got the Oscar. Bravo, bravo, bravissimo, Bilie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    Funny : I had opened that thread to discuss this year's oscars, and everyone and his father have gone to the one about last year. Maybe one single Oscar Thread would be enough, just like we have only one Eurovision thread. What do you think ?

And it's too bad that Will Smith (and Chris Rock's) antics have hidden the fact that, for the third time in a row, a Bond song got the Oscar. Bravo, bravo, bravissimo, Bilie.

Yes, this can be repurposed for next year. The main discussion this year seems to have come from the slap, so there's not much need to have a new one every single time.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

You're right, I hadn't even noticed so far...but then I don't really like those three, either :-).

Now would someone please relieve the thread title from its redundant "e"? Thank you.
    You've got it, @j_w_pepper.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You've got it, @j_w_pepper.

Thank you very much.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How-Many-Oscars-Does-Will-Smith-Have-2.jpg
    Will Smite
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I quite liked the 60th Anniversary video , edited well and they picked a good song! Of course some fan edited ones have been much better over the years but it was well done .

As opposed to the video for The Godfather 50th anniversary tribute. They begin well enough with the Godfather theme music and then make the mistake of putting some kind of hip hop music under the remaining that completely stripped the power of the scenes, to try to likely make it more appealing for a younger crowd into that music. It was great to see Coppola, Pacino and De Niro but it just felt abbreviated compared with the other tributes.

Doesn’t surprise me. Gangster films like GODFATHER, SCARFACE, and GOODFELLAS have a HUGE hip-hop following.
    No, this year, I'm not going to give my predictions and the clips for the nominated songs on a different thread, because I think that one thread is enough. So here goes :

I never could have imagined Sofia Carson as a nominee for an Oscar. But, well, I've been proven wrong before, and the song isn't half bad.

It's not "Take my Breath away", but it's Lady Gaga, so...

Could be a winner.

Rhythmic, fun, energetic (I'm tired just watching them dance), could be a winner. And it wouldn't be the first time an indian song wins an Oscar. This year, that's my favourite.

Eeeerrr... no. Doesn't do anything for me.

Now, for some other predictions : The Bond fan I am would be very happy if Michele Yeoh won Best Actress. And the Marvel fan I am would be very happy if Angela Bassett won Best supporting Actress.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,969
    For some reason I think Top Gun might win best picture this year, just because it seems to represent everything about the old cinema going experience and the type of popcorn-munching family friendly entertainment people were waiting for to bring them back to the theatre. Tom cruise singlehandedly saved cinema and is kind of overdue an Oscar anyway after the career he's had. there doesn't seem to be a clear frontrunner in the other nominations so I think it has a shot.
    For some reason I think Top Gun might win best picture this year, just because it seems to represent everything about the old cinema going experience and the type of popcorn-munching family friendly entertainment people were waiting for to bring them back to the theatre. Tom cruise singlehandedly saved cinema and is kind of overdue an Oscar anyway after the career he's had. there doesn't seem to be a clear frontrunner in the other nominations so I think it has a shot.

Really? It seems a given to me that Everything Everywhere All At Once will win the top prize, considering it's been crushing it at a lot of the other awards shows, but I've been wrong before and don't really care for these shows anymore anyway. Top Gun: Maverick winning would be a wonderful surprise though, as it certainly represents the totality of the cinematic experience as you said. I loved it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Really? It seems a given to me that Everything Everywhere All At Once will win the top prize, considering it's been crushing it at a lot of the other awards shows, but I've been wrong before and don't really care for these shows anymore anyway. Top Gun: Maverick winning would be a wonderful surprise though, as it certainly represents the totality of the cinematic experience as you said. I loved it.

I think the film has engendered a heck of a lot good will and feelgood factor. Cruises star has probably never been brighter than it is right now. Just the other day he went on one of the US talk shows and just him walking out nearly brought the house down.
    Hey @Gerard - would you update the thread title to 2023, please?
    Top Gun Maverick. Almost universal 5 star reviews, A+ Cinemascore and one and a half billion dollars at the box office. Of course it won't win the Oscar for best film.
    It doesn’t deserve to win it anyway.
    What didn't deserve to win was CODA. Felt like nothing more than a bigger budget Lifetime movie.
    Thanks, @Gerard. There's been a lot of discussion here about the nine (if I'm correct) AA nominations for the Netflix remake of All Quiet on the Western Front. I haven't seen it, and won't in the near future, since I don't have Netflix and don't intend to change that. But basically all German critics ran that movie into the ground, in spite of (or maybe because of) a German director (that I had never heard of before) and quite a few German actors. They just seem to feel that it is trying to be too striking and not true to the novel etc. etc. I wonder how it will do at the Awards. Has any of you seen it?
    It's one of the remaining films of 2022 I still need to see, along with The Whale. I've heard nothing but great things about it though. I guess it makes sense that the reactions would be a lot more polarized and varied within Germany.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,102
    Selective Outrage, review: Chris Rock addresses Will Smith's infamous Oscars slap: 'It still hurts'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/selective-outrage-review-chris-rock-will-smiths-oscars-slap/
    I watched some of the Netflix show, he does not hold back.
    YES ! Michelle Yeoh has won ! And so did Ke Huy Quan ! Which pleases this Indiana Jones fan so much. And my favourite song won as well. Plus, Jamie Lee Curtis. Nice crop this year.
    I didn't get to watch but definitely one of my favorite suite of winners in the last decade or so. All those acting accolades were so deserved.
    YES ! Michelle Yeoh has won ! And so did Ke Huy Quan ! Which pleases this Indiana Jones fan so much. And my favourite song won as well. Plus, Jamie Lee Curtis. Nice crop this year.

Did you like the movie? I've read quite mixed reviews about it. But actually, never mind since I thought the premise sort of enticing and already bought the Blu-ray anyway and will watch it in the near future.
    I haven't seen it... yet.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I realise I'm not the person you asked but it's my favourite movie of all time. I'm very happy it's swept the Oscars and everything, everywhere else so I'm going to gush about it 😁 Michelle Yeoh is not only a great Bond girl but she's incredible in the movie. It's funny and profound, emotional and absurd but it never loses sight of the drama and the characters at the heart of it. Ke Huy Quan's character is the emotional core of the story and I cried so much at his scenes. I just wish Stephanie Hsu got the award for best Supporting Actress, but she has so much more to do than Jamie Lee Curtis and she does it effortlessly. I can't speak to the representation of the Asian immigrant experience but there is a (multi)-universality about the film and Hsu's character resonated with me as a queer person.
    Michelle Yeoh is always completely convincing in her roles. I thought she should've at least been nominated for an Academy Award 23 years ago for CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.
    Thanks, @CharmianBond. "Favourite movie of all time" is really unequivocal. I wouldn't even know which one I should name as mine off-hand. Your elation makes me confident that I may like it as well. As I said, I intend to comment within the coming weeks.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 613
    So now there are two (Berry, Yeoh) Best Actress winners who starred in Brosnan-era Bond films, and four who have been nominated in that category (Berry, Yeoh, Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike).
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Michelle Yeoh is always completely convincing in her roles. I thought she should've at least been nominated for an Academy Award 23 years ago for CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.
    Yes, I remember that one quite fondly as well. And she also gave a great performance as Aung San Suu-Kyi in Luc Besson's The Lady.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I realise I'm not the person you asked but it's my favourite movie of all time. I'm very happy it's swept the Oscars and everything, everywhere else so I'm going to gush about it 😁 Michelle Yeoh is not only a great Bond girl but she's incredible in the movie. It's funny and profound, emotional and absurd but it never loses sight of the drama and the characters at the heart of it. Ke Huy Quan's character is the emotional core of the story and I cried so much at his scenes. I just wish Stephanie Hsu got the award for best Supporting Actress, but she has so much more to do than Jamie Lee Curtis and she does it effortlessly. I can't speak to the representation of the Asian immigrant experience but there is a (multi)-universality about the film and Hsu's character resonated with me as a queer person.

Great post, @CharmianBond! And I appreciate the personal angle. It's great when people resonate with a film from the heart. I have that with The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.
    It really highlights how TND painfully underused her as an actress and martial artist. I get that because it’s a western production, they were never going to be able to legally allow her to do the same kind of insane stunts from her Hong Kong films. And they probably didn’t want to have her overshadow Brosnan, since it’s pretty easy to do.