No Time To Die - Awards Chatter, Nominations and Results

18910111214»

Comments

  • Posts: 1,706
    Good to see the Defender in real action since most of them in NTTD are CGI.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,021
    It doesn’t surprise me that Lazenby wasn’t name dropped. But let’s be brutally honest: Lazenby’s presence in OHMSS has nothing to do with why it’s a great Bond installment. If you swapped out the part with Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or any other decent actor, and everything else remained the same, it would still be a top tier Bond film.

    The only thing you’d lose is Lazenby’s “this never happened to the other fellow”, and I don’t consider that a great loss.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,962
    I disagree. Props to Lazenby for being the most physical Bond, and for being credibly frightened when SPECTRE was chasing him at the ice rink (probably because he was literally frightened by the acting challenge.)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,935
    He absolutely fights better than Roger Moore would have done, but I tend to think everything else would have been better with Roger in the lead.
    But hey, no offence to the guy: it's nice to have an extra Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,459
    echo wrote: »
    I disagree. Props to Lazenby for being the most physical Bond, and for being credibly frightened when SPECTRE was chasing him at the ice rink (probably because he was literally frightened by the acting challenge.)

    Agreed. Lazenby is one of many aspects that helps prop the film up as one of the greatest ever and in my Top 3 of the series. He's terrific in it, especially considering the large shoes he had to fill.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,021
    echo wrote: »
    I disagree. Props to Lazenby for being the most physical Bond, and for being credibly frightened when SPECTRE was chasing him at the ice rink (probably because he was literally frightened by the acting challenge.)

    For me, the physicality isn’t that essential. It’s all about the charm and charisma, and Lazenby had none of that, or at least anything close to the other actors.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Posts: 12,459
    This has probably been posted somewhere before ... but anyway, here you go.
    Johnny Marr ...
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Posts: 1,400
    No Oscar noms
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,021
    Well, that’s not surprising...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 40,459
    It would've been truly impressive if it had gotten even one.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,962
    Never say yesterday again.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    NTTD is still on the top 10 list of the highest grossing Hollywood films globally from January 2020 til now. #8 if we consider live action movies only.
    For a movie that marked the first big global release after a 1.5 years devastating hiatus with fear among people (especially alongside Bond’s older demo) and restrictions still in place all over the world, that’s astonishing.

    Long live James Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 8,484
    matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD is still on the top 10 list of the highest grossing Hollywood films globally from January 2020 til now. #8 if we consider live action movies only.
    For a movie that marked the first big global release after a 1.5 years devastating hiatus with fear among people (especially alongside Bond’s older demo) and restrictions still in place all over the world, that’s astonishing.

    Long live James Bond.

    Impossible!! @Mendes4Lyfe insisted that M:I and John Wick were eating Bond's lunch and we were at a low point in Bond's history!! He made a forceful argument that numbers for these films would continue to go down!!! Mendes is NEVER wrong, and what you've stated @matt_u is a lie and a blasphemy against the Gospel according to Mendes!!!l 😉😉😉
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 12,992
    NTTD. I liked that one.

  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    peter wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD is still on the top 10 list of the highest grossing Hollywood films globally from January 2020 til now. #8 if we consider live action movies only.
    For a movie that marked the first big global release after a 1.5 years devastating hiatus with fear among people (especially alongside Bond’s older demo) and restrictions still in place all over the world, that’s astonishing.

    Long live James Bond.

    Impossible!! @Mendes4Lyfe insisted that M:I and John Wick were eating Bond's lunch and we were at a low point in Bond's history!! He made a forceful argument that numbers for these films would continue to go down!!! Mendes is NEVER wrong, and what you've stated @matt_u is a lie and a blasphemy against the Gospel according to Mendes!!!l 😉😉😉

    🤪

    It’s gonna be interesting to see what’s gonna happen with M:I-7’s box-office… given the fact that’s been years that some loud Bond fans kept on applauding that franchise while trashing Bond.
    Not rooting against M:I because I always liked those films but it’s gonna be fun to see if it will manage to top $774M worldwide.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Posts: 8,680
    As I said on a different thread: I don't give a damn what the box office is unless it's so dismal that it threatens the survival of a franchise dear to me. And I lost interest in every franchise besides a continuation of the Bond series in whatever form. Let all the others go the way of the dodo.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    M:I films are very good action flicks and especially after Maverick Cruise is more appreciated than ever… M:I-7 is gonna be fine and those films will go on until Cruise will be able to personally perform his crazy stunts, that are essentially the signature of the series.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Posts: 8,680
    To each his own... I lost interest in M:I after Rogue Nation, it's just the same old same old for me. Actually, I never watched any of the series except the first for a second time, IIRC. And I hated the first because of what they did to the Jim Phelps character. Also saw the teaser trailer for Dead Reckoning before DOD at the cinema and thought, no, I don't have to watch this.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,021
    I’m pretty curious of how big M:I-7 will be. FALLOUT is their biggest hit, but it’s just hovering above NTTD, and no where close to SKYFALL. There’s hope from the studio that the goodwill from TOP GUN: MAVERICK will bleed over onto DEAD RECKONING, but that movie was a hit for reasons that have more to do with the 1986 film. M:I is kind of it’s own thing, but we’ll see soon.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,343
    I’m pretty curious of how big M:I-7 will be. FALLOUT is their biggest hit, but it’s just hovering above NTTD, and no where close to SKYFALL. There’s hope from the studio that the goodwill from TOP GUN: MAVERICK will bleed over onto DEAD RECKONING, but that movie was a hit for reasons that have more to do with the 1986 film. M:I is kind of it’s own thing, but we’ll see soon.

    Yup I’m pretty curious too.
    The two main factors in play are obviously the word of mouth (M:I films aren’t huge openers but always provide great legs) and China (where Fallout made $100M more than NTTD thanks to China being a producing partner).
    My gut tells me Fallout will keep the throne but we’ll see.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 8,484
    I imagine that with the dismal failure of The Flash and the disappointing results from Indy, combined with the good will of Maverick, this next M:I instalment will reap its largest box office take ever. People want entertainment, and we love our summer blockbusters and Hollywood has failed to deliver….

    Cruise and M:I should destroy all competition and stand tall at the worldwide box office, easily.

    And I’m saying this as someone who can’t watch Cruise in anything. I have a personal discomfort when I see him, and it dates back to my childhood where everyone loved Top Gun and I despised it (I wanted more Bond, more Indy, more Rocky, and Arnold was coming into his own with Commando)…
  • Posts: 5,802
    And I hated the first because of what they did to the Jim Phelps character.

    You and me both, pal. You and me both.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Posts: 8,680
    Thanks, @Gerard. I still have a few hundred movies on disc that I haven't even watched so far. I don't need to follow any of the continuing "franchises" until "James Bond Will Return", now that Indy is gone for good. The rest doesn't interest me.
Sign In or Register to comment.