With NTTD once again months away, we need other things to enjoy: Let's celebrate the 24 EON Bond films and their best moments.
My idea is the following:
- We only discuss one movie at once. The first one I picked is TSWLM. This is the first round.
Every movie discussion is seperated in two parts:
- Part 1 = Suggestions and Discussion; Part 2 = Ranking
- Part 1: We discuss for a few days (around a week or as long as the discussion is interesting enough) which moments or scenes you think are among the best of a specific movie. You suggest a few moments you love the most and you can try to convince the others why a certain scene deserves to be called (one of) the best. You can mention only one scene or also a lot of different moments/scenes you love.
- Write about the scenes you like and not about the ones you dislike. This should be a celebration of our beloved spy movies.
- Don't write already a final list of your favourite moments. This is done in the second part.
- Part 2: Ranking. List your five favourite moments (1., 2., 3., 4., 5.)
- Finally, I will announce the "official" top5 for the movie by calculating the following way: Every mentioned moment/scene ranked as #1 gets 5 points. Every moment ranked as #2 gets 4 points, #3 = 3 points, #4 = 2 points, #5 = 1 point. The five moments with the most points are then listed in the final top5 ranking
- Afterwords, I will start the next round with another movie (in no particular order).
I will summarise the winners of every round (movie) on page 1.
I discussed with @Max_The_Parrot if I should talk about moments or scenes and he convinced me to call it "moments". What do we consider as a moment"? In Max' words: A moment could be both short things and big set pieces. Favourite moments could be a look, a quote, a mannerism (like adjusting the tie or throwing the hat) or something bigger like the bobsled chase or a fight scene.
Best moments so far:
TSWLM: PTS ski jump (followed by the Lotus action and Jaws at the pyramids)
TB: SPECTRE meeting (followed by the Palmyra infiltration)
1. The banter between Bond and Tibbett
2. Golden Gate fight
3. Title sequence (Binder/Duran Duran)
4. Airship to Silicon Valley (drop outs included)
1. Bond introduction in the Casino
2. Dinner with Dr. No
3. Waiting for Dent / Kill Dent
4. Tarantula room
5. In M's office
1. Night at the opera
2. On plane with Mathis and "Vespers"
3. PTS car chase
1. Sword fight at Blades
2. Hong Kong hotel
3. Frost points the gun at Bond, he tries to kill her and uses the ring to escape
4. Car chase on ice
5. Bond arrives in Cuba and meets Raoul
2. Plane flight to Scaranga's island
3. Bond meets Lazar
4. Car Jump (chase):
5. Bond has lunch with Scaramanga
1. Night at the casino (problem eliminator, abseiling...)
All these sequences got (almost) the same amount of points and share #2 to #6:
PTS (especially Sanchez introduction)
Bond infiltrates the Warehouse and ultimately kills Killifer.
Resignation at Hemingway House
1. Kobe docks (with the rooftop shot)
2. Captured US space capsule
3. Office fight
4. Volcano lair action
5. Little Nellie
1. Bank scene (PTS, part 1)
2. Boat chase (PTS, part 2)
3 & 4: The bunker & Torture tower (especially "I never miss")
5&6: Casino scene & Caviar factory
1. Ski chase at night
2. Build-uo to Piz Gloria attack
3. Beach fight
4-6. Tracy's death, Bond meets Draco, Safe cracking
1. PTS (especially the train action/"blood shot")
2. Bond in Shanghai
3. Attack on Skyfall
4. Silva's first scene
5. Bond running up Whitehall
1. 009-clown hunted and killed
2. Sotheby's auction
4. Defusing the bomb