Rank the differing Gunbarrel Sequences (from best to worst)

Comments

I like that trailer/gunbarrel- I love Roger's cool 'tough guy walk' towards the camera! "Yes, I just shot you. My name's Bond! How do you do?"
    Takes me back watching those old teaser trailers of Roger and Connery. I used to love going to the flicks in the 70-80's and hoping to catch a glimpse of the "new" 007 adventure long before their release dates. Makes one positively misty eyed it does, Master_Dahark.

Back on topic, which is the best gunbarrel sequence? For me, it has to be in the chronological order the movies came out in. I still love the Bob Simmons originals and I think Connery's turn and stance is much harder to perform than the straight turn, swivel and stand square approach of Moore and Brosnan. So what if he wobbles a bit? And I can't understand the Lazenby's on a treadmill schtick... do you see him hop off one then? His is unique and one of the best executed IMHO.

This is getting too geeky for me, so I better stop now.
    @bondsum: THAT WAS AMAZING!! Thanks for posting that! I really wish Roger had done that one instead of that geezer slow turn-and-shoot from TSWLM-AVTAK.

And as for Timothy's original TLD gunbarrel, I actually like that one! Too bad it wasn't used, it's so energetic and lively!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    Back on topic...

Lazenby - Love the turn, the knee, the hat, the whole thing. I don't mind the "treadmill" effect one bit either, it makes him seem like he's walking real smooth and uber cool. And his height and image are quite imposing as well. Striking and memorable all around.

Dalton - His walk is excellent, very calm and suave. There's an elegance to his stride. The turn is quick and purposeful, while mainting the style.

Craig (CR) - Love the turn and the pose. Even though he's wearing casual attire, the whole movement is stellar. (If we can get the same turn and pose with a proper gun barrel and attire, it would be killer!)

Brosnan - The glossy CG was done well. The walk is good, though a bit stiff. The turn is definitely purposeful and realistic, but the stance isn't particularly memorable.

Moore (2) - I agree with everyone that the turn takes too long (it seems more like a dance movement than an intention to kill somebody). At the same time, the walk is classic Roger, and I guess I have a soft spot for it having grown up with it.

Simmons - The walk is way too slow and the jump is practically campy (at least by today's standards). That said, it's hard to deny that the final pose is iconic.

Connery - I agree with those of you who've said Sean deserved a better execution. I dont think it's at all representative of the man's personaility, grace of movement, or interpretation of Bond. (Must have been an "off day.")

Moore (1) - The walk is not particularly memorable and neither is the turn or final pose. It's quite bland all around, and the bad aiming doesn't help its case.

Craig (QoS) - An abomination. Daniel has no grace whatsoever in his stride, and looks like he's rushing to get to the bathroom. The final pose itself is nowhere near as good as the one he did for CR.

One last note... is it me, or do certain gun barrels pretty much set up the feel for the entire movie that follows? I know the music has a lot to do with it obviously, but there are some cases where to me it feels (perhaps subconsiously) like a direct preview of what's about to come. Namely in GF, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, OP, LTK and GE.
    00Beast wrote:
    @bondsum: THAT WAS AMAZING!! Thanks for posting that! I really wish Roger had done that one instead of that geezer slow turn-and-shoot from TSWLM-AVTAK.

It's a pleasure, 00Beast. Some of the "teaser" trailers are actually better than the finished trailers... imho

@wildboonjive: I agree, the gunbarrel is of utmost importance in determining the rest of the movie! Out of your list, I definitely agree with LALD, FYEO, LTK, and GE. Some of the best right there! And also, I agree about the Craig QoS and Connery gunbarrels. They are both really atrocious and embarrasing.

My List:
    (1) Pierce Brosnan- this screams pure 100% swagger. The walk is stylish, the turn is swift, and the shot/stance is excellent, with the most precise aim yet
    (2) Roger Moore #1- the walk is stylish and the quick turn with the hand on the wrist to aim the gun is awesome. The only thing wrong is the aim. What happened there?
    (3) Bob Simmons- the walk is classy, the jump is incredibly epic, and the aiming is pure precision!
    (4) George Lazenby- despite Lazenby's obvious acting flaws and dull performance, his gunbarrel is really cool, I love the kneel with the hat!
    (5) Craig #1- stylish, fast-paced, and pure Bond all the way
    (6) Timothy Dalton- sometimes slow and seemingly staged, but nevertheless a swagg-loaded walk and a classy yet simple turn and shoot
    (7) Roger Moore #2- Ehh...it's very slow and elderly. Looks like someone let a nursing home patient out of their room for the day to film one Bond scene as something on their bucket list
    (8) Sean Connery- Okay, the walk is strange, the turn is akward, and the stance...oh goodness...what do you call that? It looks like he's painfully constipated!
    (9) Daniel Craig #2- Just no...simply no!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I've wondered for a long time who decides the pose. Is it the actor that just improvises when they walk or is it someone who tells them which style they gonna have?
    The latter most likely, I would like to imagine

I was watching a Bond movie a week or two back and can't quite remember which one, but the lead actor seemed to race on and shoot at the viewer, it wasn't the usual pedestrian manner, it was like done in a hurry, they seemed to race on to the screen etc, next time I see it again I'll make a note of it
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The latter most likely, I would like to imagine

I was watching a Bond movie a week or two back and can't quite remember which one, but the lead actor seemed to race on and shoot at the viewer, it wasn't the usual pedestrian manner, it was like done in a hurry, they seemed to race on to the screen etc, next time I see it again I'll make a note of it

Hmm, it might be soo.

I guess you are referring to QoS.
    No, it certainly wasn't that!

May have been a Moore release from what I can remember, but Roger doesn't really seem the type for fast entrances etc, Dalton liked a stride or two but it wasn't him I'm sure as I haven't watched The Living Daylights or License to Kill for some time
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Well Moonraker and TSWLM goes pretty fast, also does LTKs gunbarrel.
    MrBond wrote:

Moonraker's gunbarrel is by far the worst gunbarrel in the series, I absolutely hate it!!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    00Beast wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Moonraker's gunbarrel is by far the worst gunbarrel in the series, I absolutely hate it!!

Why? I think it's like one of the good things in that movie. Classic gunbarrel.

I've actually put on a copy of Moonraker right now to see what the fuss is about..

here it comes

actually, it's not all that good!, a little too quick and Moore seems in a hurry..

On now is the two guys hijacking and stealing the Moonraker, you know the score..

May as well watch the pre credits sequence now if nothing else as it's something to see, how the hell can Jaws be hidden on a plane that small, just a prelude to the rest of the nonsense yet to come I suppose
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I always thought the gun barrel music for Moonraker sounded like something out of a Ringling Brothers circus act.

But the rest of the score is awesome.
    1. George Lazenby
    2. Bob Simmons
    3. Pierce Brosnan- GE-TWINE
    4. Timothy Dalton
    5. Daniel Craig- CR
    6. Sean Connery
    7. Roger Moore (1)
    8. Roger Moore (2)
    9. Daniel Craig- QOS
    10. Pierce Brosnan- DAD (I hate the CGI bullet so i had to list it on its own).
    MrBond wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

No no no! The music in the background is horrendous! It is bad enough to make me want to quit watching the movie right then and there!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    00Beast wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

No no no! The music in the background is horrendous! It is bad enough to make me want to quit watching the movie right then and there!

Remember, a gunbarrel can never destroy a movie ;)
    No, it can not ruin it, but it can do it no favors all the same
    No, it can not ruin it, but it can do it no favors all the same

Thankfully the pre-title sequence is as good as it is so I can erase the memory of the atrocious gunbarrel!
    @Beast Which release are you refering to

Moonraker I think, Yes, I watched it the other day, (PTS only) and it is indeed one of the greatest ever, the music that accompanies it, works really well. I hate the very end with the stupid dumb sequence of Kiel flapping his arms like a bird and falling on to the circus tent, to equally awful and asinine sound effects. They really spoiled it at the end there for me that year
    @Beast Which release are you refering to

Moonraker I think, Yes, I watched it the other day, (PTS only) and it is indeed one of the greatest ever, the music that accompanies it, works really well. I hate the very end with the stupid dumb sequence of Kiel flapping his arms like a bird and falling on to the circus tent, to equally awful and asinine sound effects. They really spoiled it at the end there for me that year

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to, and you're correct, the ending of the PTS is really disappointing compared with everything that preceeded it. Also, and I'll probably get ripped for this, but I really didn't like the soundtrack that played out during the free fall battle.
    One of the best music scores of the entire Bond franchise for me, along with the Dufour chase with Drax Dobermans, initial capture of the Moonraker Space Shuttle from the 737, and even inaugural shots of the space station as the shuttles assemble for docking. Worth at least two or three points on my scoring for that years release
    1 - Sean Connery
    2 - Timothy Dalton
    3 - Roger Moore (1st Take)
    4 - Pierce Brosnan
    5 - Roger Moore (2nd Take)
    6 - Bob Simmons
    7 - George Lazenby
    8 - Daniel Craig (QoS)
    9 - Daniel Craig (CR, because I hate his attire and background)
    @emilbertillo: You rank Connery's as number one? I mean that's fine by me, but I for one have always disliked that dumb stance he holds after he fires his shot. It looks like he's constipated while standing on a trapeze wire trying to keep his balance!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 153
    @00Beast: That's why I like his GBS. Yes, he wobbles after firing but that just adds to the tension even before his film starts; it's as if he gave too much effort to kill the guy in the gunbarrel. I like it more than Moore's and Brosnan's GBS which are very relaxed and evidently staged.
    @00Beast: That's why I like his GBS. Yes, he wobbles after firing but that just adds to the tension even before his film starts; it's as if he gave too much effort to kill the guy in the gunbarrel. I like it more than Moore's and Brosnan's GBS which are very relaxed and evidently staged.

I can see Roger's second gunbarrel being staged, but the first one from LALD and TMWTGG looks pretty genuine to me. As for Brosnan, yes, I'll admit that it looks staged, but he pulls it off so well! It's the epitome of cool!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    Top 5 Gunbarrel Sequences:

1. Pierce Brosnan in GoldenEye
    2. Timothy Dalton in License to Kill
    3. Bob Simmons in Dr. No
    4. Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only
    5. Roger Moore in Live and Let Die
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 503
    Updating for Skyfall

1. George Lazenby — Despite the technical faults of this gunbarrel, Lazenby himself does an excellent job and the knee drop is a great improvisation. Very creepy but effective atmosphere.

2. Timothy Dalton — Smooth, heavy, and a quick and accurate shot.

3. Pierce Brosnan — Some hate the CGI change, but I think it's a perfect milieu between the previous effect and the overblown CGI in the CR and QOS barrels. Brosnan's shot is accurate and his stop-and-turn is quick and to the point.

4. Roger Moore (LALD, TMWTGG) — In Roger's first take, his shot is a bit to the left, and the gun sound effect is a bit out of sync as well, so that takes some points off. Otherwise, a very quick and succinct shot.

5. Sean Connery — Sean's gunbarrel isn't bad, but he's a bit clumsy in his execution, and you can see his stop-and-turn coming from a mile away.

6. Bob Simmons — Very slow build up, almost to the point of being creepy, with an overacted climax. But still, it was the first and is quite iconic, especially since it was just a stuntman, not the real Bond actor.

7. Daniel Craig (CR) — In this unique and creative spin on the gunbarrel, it is for the first time incorporated into the storyline and completely changed. Daniel's pose here is great, no complaints. I'm a sucker for tradition so it's not a favorite of mine, but it's much better than the abomination that followed.

8. Roger Moore (TSWLM-AVTAK) — I've seen 80-year-olds have a quicker reaction time than Moore does in this gunbarrel. It has a promising start, but a very lazy and unimpressive climax. At least Roger gets the aim right this time.

9. Daniel Craig (SKFL) — Quite similar in structure to the QOS gunbarrel, and the gunbarrel itself has a strange, almost leathery texture to it. Craig's walk is much slower and builds the tension more appropriately, and his turn with the limp left arm mimics that of Dalton. Overall it seems a bit too refined and perfected, but it's leagues ahead of the 2008 atrocity.

10. Daniel Craig (QOS) — As many have pointed out before, Craig looks like he's rushing through this because he has to evacuate his bowels. The whole thing is rushed (fitting the overall theme of QOS) and the music is particularly forgettable. The CGI is really overdone and just... my god Daniel's almost running, and it looks like he's going to fall over!