It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Dear fans and followers:
We're said to announce that we've been kindly asked by the IP holder (MGM/Danjaq) to cease development of GoldenEye 25.
This was always in the back of our heads as a possiblity but we've tried our best to keep going.
Of course we will comply and want to thank for your ongoing support.
We cannot do a Bond game but we still can do a great game with all the beloved aspects of our favorite 90's action shooter.
If you are still interested in following us, please join us on twitter or facebook at Project Ianus where we will share development of our new game.
All pages and content related to GoldenEye 25 will be deleted by friday.
^ Back to Top
The MI6 Community is unofficial and in no way associated or linked with EON Productions, MGM, Sony Pictures, Activision or Ian Fleming Publications. Any views expressed on this website are of the individual members and do not necessarily reflect those of the Community owners. Any video or images displayed in topics on MI6 Community are embedded by users from third party sites and as such MI6 Community and its owners take no responsibility for this material.
James Bond News • James Bond Articles • James Bond Magazine
What a shame!
But I suppose that Valve approach is very unusual, and also, games are not in the interest of the Bond people anymore, considering we haven't had one in years (except for, uh, World of Espionage?). I do agree that it is terribly frustrating to see them keeping projects like these from being made, but at the same time, not releasing any new proper games themselves. I want games, dammit!
The other frustrating thing is that this project had existed for several years. Killing it as early as possible is always preferrable. I understand you're not going to have people constantly looking on the internet for every dime-store fan project to take down, because who cares, but this game had already appeared on major gaming sites several years ago, so it probably demanded more attention. Why do they let our expectations build and then pull the plug?
From a purely practical standpoint, if I really wanted to make and release GE25 and not have to prepare for the eventuality of a cease and desist letter —which would force me to rebrand the project, and change the assets and levels—, I would just build the thing "in my backyard" and anonymously put it out there when it was finished, without prior notice, much like that Super Mario 64 PC port that appeared a couple of months ago. That way, they can't stop it. But I can understand that approach is too abstemious, too martyr-like. And besides, the people working on the game can take the awareness created for GE25 and transplant it into their new game, something which they already had in mind according to the video (and it's an easy conclusion to reach, even without them saying it). I'll check it out when there is some footage, but to some extent it'll still feel like its wings were clipped, so to speak.
The good news is that we will still get Yannick Zenhäusern's music. That is something I'm really looking forward to. Incidentally, at one point in the video above he says that he doesn't feel like "promoting a brand anymore that has clearly shown what they think of what we did and what we do." He's understandably upset.
I could maybe understand this, if they were actually making games. But if they have given up on Bond games, which they appear to have done, then they should just allow it to happen, especially if it is non-profit. If it is for proft, then come to some agreement.
Yes, if the fan-made game was taking the shine off an upcoming game release then it would at least make some sense. But we're getting diddly squat now from anyone.
I'm not a gamer myself but it's very sad that MGM forbid such a great fan project after they alreaedy worked on it for years.
Bring back the smorgasbord Bond from AUF!
Yannick Zenhäusern did some preliminary music for it.
I love the Éric Serra vibes of this music!
It always irritates me when a company pulls something like this, because they don’t have to. They’re just choosing to be a-holes. This was a harmless, free, fan project based on a 25 year old game that has been out of publication for nearly two decades. The developers weren’t going to make any money off of it. And we know that EON/MGN aren’t making any money off the Bond gaming license at the moment. This wouldn’t have competed against any of their Bond games, because they don’t make those anymore. There’s companies like SEGA that gladly allow fan games like Sonic: Utopia because they realize that it doesn’t hurt their ip at all to allow fans to be fans. SEGA even went so far as to hire fan developers to help them make a new official Sonic game, Sonic: Mania. Meanwhile MGM/Danjaq are over here gleefully taking a massive dump on their fans.
Unless there's a new game coming.
That is the only situation in which I would find this acceptable. But unfortunately I don’t think that’s likely.
it never occured to me but yeah if a new game is coming that makes sense but the question is who the last licensed 007 game was the dlc for Fornza Horizons in 2018 and before that was World of Espionage in 2015 from Glu Mobile
so a few ideas
1. Glu Has become developing real games for consoles which would be unheard of but not impossible
2. Bond license went to Playground Games or Microsoft Studios under the radar and they are developing a new bond game
3. the rumors of a telltale bond game are not only true but post the restucturing the of the studio we will be getting the game soon
I genuinely wish Warner brothers would just buy MGM and then mandate Rocksteady build a cool bond game.
Likely because both Nintendo and Microsoft would rather put the game out as one of their exclusives. GE was one of the biggest games in history and they both essentially see it as “theirs”. An ego thing. But it also may just come down to too much paperwork legal paperwork that they don’t think it’s worth doing in the era of COD.
Whatever the case, it doesn’t surprise me that GE25 has to be put down. There was NO WAY that MGM would allow a “free” Bond game put out there.
It's interesting that Source is multiplayer-only while GE25 was going to be single player-only. Perhaps that makes a difference for the owners of the GE brand.
That is the difference. Source had to can their single player to avoid being shut down. Apparently as a multiplayer only, it must qualify as nothing more than a skin and level mod, of which there are billions for Garry's Mod alone.
I still can’t believe MGM/Danjaq are ok with World of Espionage being their last official James Bond game. You would think they would want to redeem themselves with a AAA game after the worst 007 game ever. But they just decided to give on up on the games all together.
It’s only available on PC. You have to download Source SDK Base 2007 through Steam. After that, you just download the mod: https://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source/downloads/ges-v506-full-installer-exe.
Yeah I always wished, after the FRWL game, they'd done a 70s-set big crazy game and got Sir Roger to star in it. He'd have sounded practically the same and I like to think he'd have been up for it.
They're perfectly within their rights to control their property. Not sure where there's any glee being shown.
They’re within their rights, yes. But that doesn’t mean that they’re not being litigious. Something can be well within your rights to do and still be an indecent thing to do.