When does Bond ever interact with the general public?

13»

Comments

Not to mention ruining two weddings (and two wedding cakes).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    TripAces wrote: »
    Excellent examples of public danger. That was not part of my initial research, but I think it could be.

For sure, DC's Bond seems to have more of a track record of recklessness, with innocent civilians placed in danger: the Mollaka chase in CR, the forementioned PTS scenes in QoS and SF. There was also potential for casualties in Mexico City. With CR and SP, at least, Bond was reprimanded by M.

I would say Bond was pretty constantly and severely reprimanded by M in QoS as well!
    Gerard wrote: »
    Not to mention ruining two weddings (and two wedding cakes).

Yes. In every single boat chase it seems Bond is ruining some picnic, or wedding, or pleasant meal on a restaurant patio.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 13,042
    So not the tank run through St. Petersburg, then.

At least the BMW had insurance for property damage.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The worst thing he ever does - because he has some, very basic, level of control over the taxi in AVTAK and the chopper in SP - is in TND where he sends his BMW over the top of the car park down into the rental shop.

That always bothered me too, for the reasons above as well as the fact that it's a bum note at the end of a fairly good action sequence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's also the Monaco car race scene at the beginning of GoldenEye where he nearly steams through an entire pelaton of cyclists and drives on the wrong side of the road around many blind bends, and he's not even doing it to save the world: he's just doing it for laughs. That might be one of his most dickish moments! :)
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    mtm wrote: »
    There's also the Monaco car race scene at the beginning of GoldenEye where he nearly steams through an entire pelaton of cyclists and drives on the wrong side of the road around many blind bends, and he's not even doing it to save the world: he's just doing it for laughs. That might be one of his most dickish moments! :)

In this moment, and in the wedding crashing in LALD etc, he doesn't know that they are going to be there. In TND when he sends the BMW over the edge, he must know that there is only one place the car can end up - in the streets, or as it turns out, in the rental shop. Either way he was guaranteed to put the public at risk.

In GE and any other situation, he doesn't willingly endanger the public, he just happens to be involved in a chase near where they are.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    thedove wrote: »
    I believe it was more that civilians weren't to be hurt or killed by Bond. Think to Jaws dropping in on the Italian gentleman through his roof. Or the guy on the ladder who gets wobbled in FYEO.

I found that rather jarring in QOS was that clearly some police officers died in that car chase in the PTS.

Also the policemen in the car that Bond runs over with the tank in GE! Completely ridiculous but in the Bond spirit of "civilians don't get hurt."
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    echo wrote: »
    I believe it was more that civilians weren't to be hurt or killed by Bond. Think to Jaws dropping in on the Italian gentleman through his roof. Or the guy on the ladder who gets wobbled in FYEO.

I found that rather jarring in QOS was that clearly some police officers died in that car chase in the PTS.

Also the policemen in the car that Bond runs over with the tank in GE! Completely ridiculous but in the Bond spirit of "civilians don't get hurt."

I watched that scene yesterday and, to be fair, they do have very brief shots of people escaping from the vehicles just before Bond drives the tank over them.

Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

I watched that scene yesterday and, to be fair, they do have very brief shots of people escaping from the vehicles just before Bond drives the tank over them.

Yeah I read somewhere this was something they had to show to retain the film's rating.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,981
    mtm wrote: »

In this moment, and in the wedding crashing in LALD etc, he doesn't know that they are going to be there.

I don't know about you, but I often expect if there's any place oncoming traffic will be, it's the other side of the road! :D
    The same logic says that in TND he never looks over the edge of the building so he doesn't know that there's anyone down there. And in fact, there isn't.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    Excellent examples of public danger. That was not part of my initial research, but I think it could be.

For sure, DC's Bond seems to have more of a track record of recklessness, with innocent civilians placed in danger: the Mollaka chase in CR, the forementioned PTS scenes in QoS and SF. There was also potential for casualties in Mexico City. With CR and SP, at least, Bond was reprimanded by M.

I would say Bond was pretty constantly and severely reprimanded by M in QoS as well!

True. But she didn't specifically get on his case for the drive to Siena.